New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The World

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default The World

How is there not a thread for this yet?!
    ...or at least, not an active thread.
    Personally, I think I'm reacting in a way The Giant anticipated: I want to do what's he doing, too. I pride myself on avoiding many of the cliche elements of things like this, and making a campaign setting half as great as The World makes me all bubbly inside. :)
    [EDIT: And I must say, it seems The Giant has read Guns, Germs, and Steel as well.]
    Last edited by hitogoroshi; 2006-12-19 at 09:53 PM.
    Avvie by Gorbash Kazdar.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: The World

I must admit that the articles are more than just a little good and I have actually printed the whole thing (along with other articles on the same topic) to help me build my own setting.

The thing I liked most was the Geography part, though, I never was good at drawing convincing maps (probably doesn't help that I use paint, now does it?)

Of course, I tried following the old mantra "whatever you do, always make THREE changes from anything you've seen before", so it's not enough like Rich's conceptual world to be mistaken for it

If you're interested, I have a link: Selarin

Also, get these articles back up and running! Please?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
    And don't forget that a lack of skills needn't be a problem - in a pinch, BAB can substitute for a lot of skills! Diplomacy ("If you be friend, me no stab in face"), Hide ("If you no see, me no stab in face"), Move Silently ("If you no hear, me no stab in face"), Open Lock ("Me stab lock in face with adamantine dagger"), Heal ("Me stab you in face until you no dying anymore"), Climb ("Me stab rock face"), and so on!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: The World

I like them as well. I am a geographer in RL and love the idea of using those skills to create a fantasy world were the environment and cultures are also influenced by magic.
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for
    anything, but you still can't help but smile when
    you see one tumble down the stairs.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

I just read all ten, and am looking forward to the rest of the series. It's a shame that, inferring from the lack of threads, that more folk aren't reading these. (Or that the discussion threads aren't in the logical place, The Gaming Articles area...) I'd have hoped that each article would have its own thread (ala each episode of OotS.) [Edit: Aha, I see some of the threads have fallen into the mists of time. I'll have to aviod Threadamancy if I see anything commentable.]

Not serious nit-pick: I see the Inuit-type culture has, in their own vernacular, an apostrophe in their name ...
    Last edited by Ironfist Orc; 2007-01-12 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Grave digging turns up threads.
    Nod. Get treat.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfist Orc View Post
    Not serious nit-pick: I see the Inuit-type culture has, in their own vernacular, an apostrophe in their name ...
    Yeah, thats the first thing I noticed about them. However, the giant seems to be enjoying to break any rules he comes across, so why would he stop on his own rules? ;)

Perhaps breaking the rules is inappropriately formulated. Break with any cliches/stereotypes fits better. Anyway, I am sur, you get my point. :)
    Ceikatar user.

6. - Top - End - #6

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I find myself wondering about the further story behind Garrick the Forger.

Particularly: What happened to his other sons? And if Royce was such a weakling, why didn't more of them break off from the empire or one of them take over from him? Did they all die in his endless wars? Were they all killed off by Royce, who while quiet was sneaky enough to see to his own succession? Was he just infertile, so only Royce (and maybe one or two others) actually survived to adulthood? Or was he as gay as Richard the Lionhearted (true fact), with the same practical results?

Fun reading. How often is it updated?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe Garrick only had one kid? That'd certainly make sense. I mean, hes spending his whole life winning wars, maybe he was just too busy to bother reproducing multiple times.
    Avvie by Gorbash Kazdar.

8. - Top - End - #8

About the whole apostrophes-in-names thing: what are they for, anyway? The obviously don't represent letters that have been left out (who could tell?), so the only spelling reason I could think of to have them is to represent a sound not occurring in the English language.

This led me to trying to pronounce them as things like clicks or unvoiced glottal stops, which usually just causes me to choke. Does anyone know who started the trend, and what the actual justification was?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, dutch has a sound not appearing in the english language, sounds a bit like clearing your throat, only much softer.

And if I pronounce it like dutch (spelled this way to keep the english sounds intact) ‘Ajoe Toen-gie’, you get a pretty pronouncable result which still sounds pretty foreign.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

10. - Top - End - #10

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hitogoroshi View Post
    Maybe Garrick only had one kid? That'd certainly make sense. I mean, hes spending his whole life winning wars, maybe he was just too busy to bother reproducing multiple times.
    That's what winter is for, dude. (Plus, have you not heard of the phrase "camp followers"? Though offspring produced in that matter would not be legitimate (assuming Western European-style marriage rules, which seem to be in evidence based on the social backdrop, and which in any case make sense barring magical paternity-testing possibilities, since otherwise inheritance becomes very complicated indeed among the upper classes...)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maltrich View Post
    About the whole apostrophes-in-names thing: what are they for, anyway? The obviously don't represent letters that have been left out (who could tell?), so the only spelling reason I could think of to have them is to represent a sound not occurring in the English language.

This led me to trying to pronounce them as things like clicks or unvoiced glottal stops, which usually just causes me to choke. Does anyone know who started the trend, and what the actual justification was?
    My personal theory is that it's supposed to represent a "hard sign" from the cyrylic alphabet, which in languages such as Russian or Belarussian indicates that the preceding consonant gets a "hard" pronunciation even if it's followed by a vowel.

To port it over to the latin alphabet, it's the difference between pronouncing Drizz't as "Drizeet" (no hard sign) and "Driz-t" (hard sign).

Although I once did read a theory that it may also indicate a sort of clicking sound in the back of your throat, so in this case "Driz-k-t" although when I actually try to pronounce that, I choke.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd like to add my voice to those who find these articles awesome. I think we need more of them. I don't know, maybe The Giant is really busy.

I liked this world. I may someday run a campaign in this setting.

I also created a world once, and ran two games on it. But it lacks this background history and politics. There are just 14 cities, plains, mountains and common geography. Nothing different. But I like it.
    The Hundred Second
    Creator of the first iteration of The Stick Awards

13. - Top - End - #13

Planetar

I liked it, and it has been emblazoned upon me ever since. I'd really like to see the rest of the series played out, but I'm fairly sure Rich has better things to do. At least in the opinions of the masses of OOTS fans who haven't read the articles.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

14. - Top - End - #14

With the frequency of comics, writing another will be tricky.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post
    My personal theory is that it's supposed to represent a "hard sign" from the cyrylic alphabet, which in languages such as Russian or Belarussian indicates that the preceding consonant gets a "hard" pronunciation even if it's followed by a vowel.

To port it over to the latin alphabet, it's the difference between pronouncing Drizz't as "Drizeet" (no hard sign) and "Driz-t" (hard sign).

Although I once did read a theory that it may also indicate a sort of clicking sound in the back of your throat, so in this case "Driz-k-t" although when I actually try to pronounce that, I choke.
    Why spell it Drizz't at all, though?
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maxymiuk View Post

While I believe Drizz't is pronounced with some form of close vowel between the z and t, the apostrophe is just an example of an attempt to make it look exotic, actual apostrophes as letters in Latin orthography are generally glottal stops, which is essentially the sound centered in the word "uh-oh" (to use wikipedia's example), however, Inuit orthography doesn't use apostrophes to show glottal stops, in the few dialects that use them it's generally a 'q'. Hawaian, however, uses apostrophes to represent glottal stops, as does Arabic's Latin orthography.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

I sure wish the Giant would get around to finishing up his world building. Personally I think its one of the most interesting sections of the site.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I think apostrophes represent pauses. Thus, you chand Drizz't from Drissed in 1 sylable and Driz-it.
    "I reject your reality, and subsitute my own" -Adam Savage

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Those articles truly inspired me to start creating a world of my own (key word "start"). While it wasn't my first attempt, it seemed the most focused and by far the most interesting fantasy setting I've made (nevermind the fact that it's, you know, unfinished).

It would be awesome if he brought back the series. But we'd need some object of infinite power to make that dream a reality. Some artifact whose properties make it difficult, nay, impossible, to ignore. We need... a petition!
    Metagaming - Inappropriate For All Ages

A Conversation Explaining D&D To A Friend:
    Me: You can also always get a bag of holding.
    Him: Aren't all bags technically of holding?
    Me: Yeah... but...

We are here on this Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different. R.I.P. Mr. Vonnegut. Kurt's in heaven too.

Sign The World Petition! Save the world!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGirl

I like the world articles, they helped me a lot, especially with maps, which are my weak point.

Also, I have to say it. There is no apostrophe in Drizzt.
    "I have tasted the heat of many stars, and all of them were sweet."
    -The Hive Queen

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

smile Re: The World

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    I sure wish the Giant would get around to finishing up his world building. Personally I think its one of the most interesting sections of the site.
    I second that.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kimnor2 View Post
    I second that.
    I third it.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Fourthed. It's really, really good stuff, Giant; I'd like to see some of your adaptations from the d20 Modern system, too.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Fifthed (quintled?). I love these articles. Great stuff. I've even been inspired to try making a world of my own.

24. - Top - End - #24

The other possibility regarding apostrophes is that they're there to indicate that there are two consonants that are not normally pronounced together in english, but are in this word. So Drizz't could be spelled "Drizzt" (which is EXTREMELY hard to say if you use the German pronounciation of z, "ts"). I think this is the likeliest explanation in the case of Drizz't, but in many words I know it also represents the glottal stop.

I ran across this usage in a Tom Swift book, waaaay back in the day. Tom meets an alien named M'na, who he calls "Mina" because he can't prounounce her name otherwise. Likewise, her first attempts at his name are "T'm" and "T''M", which sounds much more like Tim than Tom. [/annecdote]
    GM of Ancient Battles: A homebrew warfare game based on Testament

Kudur - The Bronze Age: A campaign setting using "D20 Fantasy" rules.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Indeed. After the comics themselves, the world building and enemy building workshops are my favorite things about the site.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Raveler1 View Post
    The other possibility regarding apostrophes is that they're there to indicate that there are two consonants that are not normally pronounced together in english, but are in this word. So Drizz't could be spelled "Drizzt" (which is EXTREMELY hard to say if you use the German pronounciation of z, "ts"). I think this is the likeliest explanation in the case of Drizz't, but in many words I know it also represents the glottal stop.
    It is spelled Drizzt. According to someone over on gaming, clone players added the apostrophe to make it seem more exotic, and since more people have encountered or heard about the clones than have read the books, it's used much too often.
    Spoiler
    Show

Do you surmise it's wise to have laser beams emitting from your eyes?
    -They Might Be Giants, "The Lady and the Tiger"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I've been reading the comic for months now and only just now decided to read about the world. I read the first article and then found myself unable to stop reading. This is great stuff. When was the last one written?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Far too long ago! <lapses into uncontrollable shaking>
    thog recommend nale divest low-yield derivative bond!

GOLD 0
    HNJO 65=455gp
    DOOM 30=420gp
    LIGD 40=280gp

TOTAL=1155gp

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not to make another "Me too" post, but maybe if enough people comment on how interesting and helpful these articles are, he might come back to them. Then again, maybe he's just too busy with other things.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

Yeah seriously what the heck rich.
    Avvie by Gorbash Kazdar.