New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default How to rationalize evil?

I want to set up a good guy who goes more and more off the deep end until he, and the players, realize he's actually become completely evil. "For the greater good" is one way, but what are some others?
    Homebrew: TemporalistQuotebox • Avatar by Kris on a Stick
    Blue is for sarcasm • Call me Attila

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: How to rationalize evil?

"I've done so much good for the world, isn't it time for the world to give a little back?"
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

"When the cruelty that was inflicted on me comes back full circle to its originators, why are they the victims?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Justifying more and more evil acts as something he's doing for the benefit of his people.

Righteous retribution - he's just striking back against evil that was done to him.

He does what he has to because circumstances/some specific bad guys forced him to.

Play Spec Ops: The Line for a great example of how someone well-meaning can go completely evil, while still thinking he's doing good and deluding himself by blaming everything bad that happened on other factors.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"For the greater good"

That's probably been used to justify more evil than anything else. People who are willing to break a few eggs to make an omelette never seem to think they should be one of the broken eggs.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Seeking out evil to do justice turns into bloodlust and revenge. That's one other that doesn't involve "the greater good" but still turns good into evil.
    Then you can do an inverse "greater good" thing, where a bunch of small independently good deeds lead up to some great evil which he's forced to embrace.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Before any of this, I'd work this out with the player in question, because messing with a player character like this without their consent smacks of the worst kind of railroading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    Before any of this, I'd work this out with the player in question, because messing with a player character like this without their consent smacks of the worst kind of railroading.
    It sounded to me like an NPC, but maybe that should be clarified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

"I have not changed - I remain righteous. It is the world that no longer agrees with me, and it is the world that should be punished for its sins."
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Without details on what one is exactly doing and how it's really hard to tell much, possibilities are countless....

Is he someone with position of any serious power, or just a dude?

Is he running a bank/cantor, or is he a mercenary?
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

What if the guy starts out thinking he's "not evil", instead of good. It can be difficult to think of yourself as a good guy if you do bad things. If he accepts that he's not a good guy, but that he's doing everything he can to achieve a good goal... now that's something.

I mean, it's a good goal, something the players want to achieve too. Even if they abandon the guy's plan, they would want to achieve his goal.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

Perhaps he has loyalties within his family which drag him step by step away from the path of Good - coming to the aid of a cousin who is attacked repeatedly, gradually seeing that the attacks are justified, as his cousin is evil (not obviously so) - but he can't just refuse his aid to family.

By the time these loyalties are cut, his moral compass has been dragged decidedly southward. He can no longer see the difference between the forces of Good fighting to stop his cousin from <insert evil act here> and the violence his cousin did himself.

13. - Top - End - #13

NecromancerGuy

Let him perceive traditional good deeds that fail or backfire.

For example:

1. A charitable cleric is robbed and left to bleed to death while in the slums to distribute bread and hope amongst the poor. Lesson: Low-life scum does not deserve charity. Let them starve.

2. A noble knight murdered in his sleep by a spiteful enemy whose life he spared in a duel or battle. Lesson: Mercy is a weakness. Kill them all.

3. A famous artist and universal genius is burned on the stake or torn to shreds by an angry mob for advocating peace with an enemy race, liberation of slaves or another progressive idea. Lesson: Various.

4. A known criminal is released due to procedural errors, his high social standing or open bribery / intimidation of the judge. Lesson: Don't trust laws and authority. They are useless. You have to be judge, jury and executioner in personal union and may do anything you deem necessary (this last one is mainly chaotic, but can turn to blatant evil quickly by arbitrary and excessive "punishments").
    Last edited by Berenger; 2013-08-30 at 06:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Breaking Bad, eh?

"I realize my time here is limited, and I must do what I can, while I can, to assure that my family is secure when I'm gone."
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

We do what we must, because we can.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Several, all beginning with "I" for some reason.

• Insanity: the guy just loses touch with reality.
    • Ideology: the guy focusses on one idea too much; until the ends justify the means.
    • Innocence: It's not his fault, it's the fault of the victims. Various sub-rationalisations.
    • Ingratitude: "I sacrificed so much to help them, but I never got any gratitude. When I needed help, where where they ? They'll pay for my help now."
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Requires DM co-operation: Force him to make hard decisions, where there is no clear right answer, constantly. Have him fail. Make him angry and bitter. Then have him face some form of adversity that he cannot defeat without resorting to evil, with such dire consequences that he has no choice. Seal the deal with some sort of demonic pact for the power to win, power that corrupts him so that he becomes that which he once hated.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

Personal favourite; Fighting fire with fire.

19. - Top - End - #19

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    We do what we must, because we can.
    For the good of all of us except the ones who are dead...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Why would elves be better at detecting things? We all know that cats use their whiskers as part of their senses. Now compare elves and dwarves. Elves cannot grow facial hair. Dwarves have luxurious beards. Of course dwarves should be better at detecting stuff.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Slowly increasing the level of "punishment" meted out on wrongdoers over time until the reaction is out of all possible proportion to the crime itself. Each step can be justified with "well, obviously the last time wasn't enough of a deterrent to keep this sort of thing from happening again."
    [CENTER]So You Wanna Be A DM? A Potentially Helpful Guide
    Truly wonderful avatar made by Cuthalion

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I think the best character like this is one who was originally good (maybe a little cruel against evil, but good). He still acts basically the same, still has the same values, but he's started to see those he use to associate with good as evil, or maybe he's seeing the root of evil to be society as a whole.

So he says he's willing to do what society calls 'evil' in order to fix society. The real evil is the corruption, starvation, etc. that society fosters. So he has to purge it all. He's still good, still working for good, and the end result will be a better world.

(Note that this is not exclusive with insanity or ideology, as noted by nedz. Indeed, it may rely upon it, but I think a more compelling character will be sane.)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

"You're either with me or against me." Probably the single mindset with the greatest potential for justifying evil.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

"Evil" people who are not on the Ted Bundy level have a goal, and are willing to go further for it than is moral. Values become secondary to goals. Walter White, Vic Mackey & Shane Vendrell, any real-world political example you care to think of...

What the goals are isn't that relevant, frankly.

The rationalization is pretty much universally "this has to be done," "this is the only thing I can do," "I can't give up now," and so on. You give yourself up bit by bit, and once you see how far you're gone, it's too late, and you have to try to come out on the other side... but odds aren't good you will emerge the same, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Play Spec Ops: The Line for a great example of how someone well-meaning can go completely evil, while still thinking he's doing good and deluding himself by blaming everything bad that happened on other factors.
    That game messes with your head so bad. I didn't even think about firing into the air... it is amazingly tightly-crafted, up to and including the loading screens that start mocking you in less and less subtle ways as the game goes on. ("Do you feel like a hero yet?")

The Shield and Breaking Bad are also great examples of how this sort of "justifying evil" thing gets more and more out of control, and the protagonist gets more and more inextricably wrapped up in the wrongs they've done.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"I must be strong to fight evil."
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

"I have no choice. Either I have to make hard decisions, or everything was for nothing."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhynn View Post
    The Shield and Breaking Bad are also great examples of how this sort of "justifying evil" thing gets more and more out of control, and the protagonist gets more and more inextricably wrapped up in the wrongs they've done.
    I think Walter White is a great example of rationalizing evil behavior to make yourself out to be a good guy. The best part is that it's hard to really pinpoint precisely when he becomes evil. I guess that might have something to do with the nature of evil and how insidious it is.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Walter "Heisenberg" White. End of thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

How do you rationalize a descent into evil? Be a player character. You'll be slaughtering tribes of sentient creatures and defiling ancient tombs before you know it.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

For an after-the-fact justification, also consider Ozymandias from the Watchmen.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Make the character blame himself for an action that had horrible unintended consequences. Then have the character feel like he needs to do everything possible to "fix" his mistake. Pretty soon, you'll have the character falling straight down the classic slippery slope of evilness.

Basically, take Vaarsuvius and change the details.