New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 51 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343550 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: League of Legends LII: Sin of the Blind Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Difference is, most of these sports have a season with all the teams, so you get the rough rankings from there and seedings for the final tournament are based on the season so you do get the best and the second best and the third best. Not so much when the top 4 teams from the "last season" (closest parallel) get seeded straight to eliminations without the season games, especially with random seeds.
    I'm not seeing the parallel. Riot's goal is for Worlds to be a chance for the best of each region to play each other. It is about identifying the best team in the world, but it does that by pitting the best of each region against each other, not having the best three or four teams in the world be guaranteed to face off in the semifinals and finals.

So far, it's not even that far off. C9 destroyed the American region and they're where they should be. Royal may or may not be better than OMG, but they won their final so I don't think there's much to argue about there, and Gamina Bears did the best in their region as well. Only Najin Black Sword really sticks out as being off, and that's on the Korean circuit and not something that Riot controls directly.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

This has got to be the largest kills-to-minute ratio I've ever seen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I'm not seeing the parallel. Riot's goal is for Worlds to be a chance for the best of each region to play each other. It is about identifying the best team in the world, but it does that by pitting the best of each region against each other, not having the best three or four teams in the world be guaranteed to face off in the semifinals and finals.

So far, it's not even that far off. C9 destroyed the American region and they're where they should be. Royal may or may not be better than OMG, but they won their final so I don't think there's much to argue about there, and Gamina Bears did the best in their region as well. Only Najin Black Sword really sticks out as being off, and that's on the Korean circuit and not something that Riot controls directly.
    I guess usually the main complaint by people complaining about the format their main point is that there are 8 games featuring Gaming Gear, but possibly only 2 games featuring Cloud 9.

They could keep single elimination for the top spot, but keep playing games for the lower places to increase the number of games between the top teams.

So the 4 teams that win the first game are now fighting for the top 4 places, while the other 4 teams compete for slots 5-8.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-09-22 at 08:32 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Orc in the Playground

I was playing ranked 5s recently with some friends and we saw that my lane opponent mid was a silver 1 Kassadin. I was Jayce.

Long story short, I had 27 kills when the game ended at 29 minutes. By halfway through I was 3-shotting people with my ranged form W. It has been a very long time since I felt as powerful as I did that game - I think if I outplayed enough to dodge Shen taunt I could literally have 1v5'ed, which is more than I can say for any game I've played against people since at least season 2. It was unbelievably awesome and I kind of wish every game went like that.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Banned

You're actually using the fact that the best teams of each region got byes through the whole group stage, meaning they haven't been pitted against anyone (let alone each other) for 80% of the tournament, to argue that Riot has done a good job of pitting the best teams of each region against each other? Really?
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2013-09-22 at 08:49 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'd like to get myself added to the NA server. My summoner name is NoobF0rHire (that's a zero in there)

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    You're actually using the fact that the best teams of each region got byes through the whole group stage, meaning they haven't been pitted against anyone (let alone each other) for 80% of the tournament, to argue that Riot has done a good job of pitting the best teams of each region against each other? Really?
    Yeah, I pretty much am. That's how every major sport works. Tennis players don't need to play for several rounds if they're seeded (and those are unequivocally the best in the world), football teams get to skip a round if they're the best in their division during the regular season. Baseball teams don't have to be in the wildcard playoff and automatically get better opponents if they're seeded higher from regular play.

It gives a good advantage to being the best during regular play, rather than merely good enough. Again, in this particular case Najin Black Sword is probably the odd one out since they're really not the best in Korea, but everyone else best in region got a bye and the other very good teams have cut away the chaff and made it through group stages.

So working as intended, I think, even if that does mean fewer games are played by the top teams.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

8. - Top - End - #728
    Banned

Yeah, I pretty much am. That's how every major sport works. Tennis players don't need to play for several rounds if they're seeded (and those are unequivocally the best in the world), football teams get to skip a round if they're the best in their division during the regular season. Baseball teams don't have to be in the wildcard playoff and automatically get better opponents if they're seeded higher from regular play.

It gives a good advantage to being the best during regular play, rather than merely good enough. Again, in this particular case Najin Black Sword is probably the odd one out since they're really not the best in Korea, but everyone else best in region got a bye and the other very good teams have cut away the chaff and made it through group stages.

So working as intended, I think, even if that does mean fewer games are played by the top teams.
    I know how sporting events work. Tennis majors have 3 rounds of qualifying to 7 rounds of play. Football has one round of bye. Baseball has one one-game wild-card playoff and three rounds of best of 5 or 7. Heck, golf has Monday qualifiers. In none of these cases is the spotlight on the qualifying for the majority of the tournament. In fact, the spotlight is often not on the qualifying at all. In none of these cases is the regular season segregated into so many regions. Also, it's not like the major sports have great playoff systems. They make things as simple as possible so nobody in the audience can get confused. And yet League somehow manages to do it worse.
    Last edited by Math_Mage; 2013-09-23 at 12:33 AM.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hrm... Being shifted to part time at work has some advantages. Like being home to watch the C9 v Fnatic game.

I'm sad that Royal and OMG are facing off in the quarters. If OMG wins, it means we never get to see Royal play anyone from another region.

Quote Originally Posted by NoobForHire View Post
    I'd like to get myself added to the NA server. My summoner name is NoobF0rHire (that's a zero in there)
    Done

10. - Top - End - #730
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    This has got to be the largest kills-to-minute ratio I've ever seen.
    Have you ever seen level 8 games?

120 kills total in a 45 minute game. Summoner's Rift, not Howling Abyss. I wasn't sure it was possible until I watched it happen with my own eyes. No Revives or Teleports on either side, either.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2013-09-23 at 02:11 AM.
    ze/zir | she/her

Omnia Vincit Amor

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Have you ever seen level 8 games?

120 kills total in a 45 minute game. Summoner's Rift, not Howling Abyss. I wasn't sure it was possible until I watched it happen with my own eyes. No Revives or Teleports on either side, either.
    Speaking of lower level games, lemme dig up an old one of mine...

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #732

Hey, everybody. Been away for a while.

Wondering if there's a Playground team for ranked 3's. I've given up on convincing my friends to learn the format, and I just don't have the time or commitment for getting up to gold by way of ranked 5's.

Considering that lately, none of my friends want to play bottom at all, ADC or support, you'd think they'd be more interested in 3's or Dominion, but they keep throwing themselves at the wall that is SR and getting mad at each other.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Botlane is quite fun i like playing both roles adc and supp.
    Supp is fun just harrasing the enemy and adc well destroying them (hopefully).
    But i dont like the 3 vs 3 format.^^
    Interested in playing browsergames where you can earn money?
    Check two games
    www.goldentowns.com?i=7072
    or
    http://www.marketglory.com/strategygame/postaldude
    if you need tipps and tricks how to getting started check :
    http://postalstuff.wix.com/earn-cash-playing

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't been able to watch any of the World series matches, is there any one in particular I should try to find?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Speaking of lower level games, lemme dig up an old one of mine...

Spoiler
    Show
    Reminds me of a game I did on my smurf while helping one of my buddies learn the game.

It started fairly typical, with me on Annie in mid - and then a Riven showed up in lane.

Sadly I didn't screenshot it - but it ended with me on Annie, I think 48 kills, and our team only had 52 kills to begin with. I barely managed to win that one - the other team all had about 10 kills each, but they had terrible CS so I was still able to 3 or 4v1 them, but they just kept pushing lanes.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-09-23 at 07:43 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maeglin_Dubh View Post

Wondering if there's a Playground team for ranked 3's. I've given up on convincing my friends to learn the format, and I just don't have the time or commitment for getting up to gold by way of ranked 5's.

Considering that lately, none of my friends want to play bottom at all, ADC or support, you'd think they'd be more interested in 3's or Dominion, but they keep throwing themselves at the wall that is SR and getting mad at each other.
    I am the manager (unfortunately not much else: events conspired against me) of a ranked 3's team of mumblers. If you'd like to join, just send me a friend request. Or a PM.
    Spoiler: Previous avatars
    Show

By Akrim.elf

By Balmas

Greatest nonsensical poem ever= Lewis Carroll: Jabberwocky

Officially WoodzyOwl, the Owlwoodsiest Owl of the Owlwood Woods, Keeper of the Wooden Owlwood Owl

17. - Top - End - #737

I'm down. I'd need a few games to get the hang of TT, though; haven't played it since S2.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ettin in the Playground

MtgPlayerZach, DythTheKobold and myself just started a ranked 3s this past week (well, finished off the provisionals on a team that hadn't been used in a year), by the technique of, "Hey you guys want to do ranked 3's?"

There are quite a few teams - honestly all you really need is to look through the list on page 1 and start contacting guys until you find 3.

I'd be willing to put in another team for 3's - hit me up online if you need another.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-09-23 at 09:37 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be willing to join you if you can get 1 more for a team of 3.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

20. - Top - End - #740
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    I haven't been able to watch any of the World series matches, is there any one in particular I should try to find?
    The last OMG vs. SKTT1 is a good one to watch; it's also very short.

http://www.reddit.com/r/LoLeventVoDs..._championship/

This has recommended games + a full list of VODs. Personally, I'd just watch the quarterfinals games coming up.
    Last edited by Joran; 2013-09-23 at 12:08 PM.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

I do plan to watch the quarterfinals if I can, I just asked because I had a couple of hours to kill, in the end I watched TSM vs. GG (good game in my opinion) right now I am watching SKTT1 vs. LemonDogs.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

22. - Top - End - #742
    Firbolg in the Playground

There are several. Inversion plays them pretty regularly, and I'd be up for playing on another one.

@V: That we do.

@VV: What we need is a full team of 9 so we can win 3 3v3s at a time.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2013-09-23 at 12:22 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #743
    Banned

Clearly one of these teams needs my infamous-but-not-hugely-reliable jungle Cass.

24. - Top - End - #744

So, Olinser and Silverraptor seem like they're up for it.

I should have specified NA server, not sure if that's an issue.
    -\==/-
    I always ask a big question on the League thread right before bedtime so I have something to read while trying to wake up.
    Responses of any sort are wonderful.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like coming up with concepts for characters, and will do so often. But writing up crunch, especially for anything that isn't level 1, takes me a while, and after wasting lots of time writing unused characters on Mythweavers, I generally don't make a sheet unless a DM really likes the concept. Sorry.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

Watched the Fnatic vs Ozone game yesterday night (it was from a few days previous I believe) and now I get why people like to watch these tournaments.

Then, hyped up by the pro feeling, I go into a Ranked game with a Shen who, after I refuse to kill a Riven who DCed in the middle of my lane, never ults me except to try and save himself.

But then I played a Ranked game on NA with a buddy and got fed as Twitch and felt better. Yay.

I only wish the games were earlier in the day...
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ettin in the Playground

So, I'm in Gold 1, 59LP, and the last 2-3 wins is the first time since.....Silver 1 that I've gained less than 15 LP per win. Clamping GG. I'm pretty sure I can make Plat from here, but that Div 1 clamping is going to make it feel tedious as all hell.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

Kook, stop bragging.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Troll in the Playground

I do plan to watch the quarterfinals if I can, I just asked because I had a couple of hours to kill, in the end I watched TSM vs. GG (good game in my opinion) right now I am watching SKTT1 vs. LemonDogs.
    I'd avoid any games with GamingGear.EU and Mineski just because they are obviously outclassed.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

Some of the best matches were between the Gambit/Fnatic/Ozone triad, and between OMG/SKT. A couple of the Vulcun matches are worth watching.

YMMV on the rest of the matches - most of the others tend to be pretty harsh curb stomps in one direction or the other.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2013-09-23 at 01:08 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

30. - Top - End - #750
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    I'd avoid any games with GamingGear.EU and Mineski just because they are obviously outclassed.
    Except Fnatic vs Mineski. That match is totes worth watching.
    Truth resists simplicity.