New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oddly Enough

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Oddly Enough

Everyone knows min/maxing and uber chars can be fun now and again. However my question is what is the absolute strangest character race/class combination you have ever played.

Loingo

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Oddly Enough

Half fiend, half-celestial, half dopple-ganger elf bard.

Ah, the joys of asking a DM to approve a character while he is too drunk to walk or do the math involved with level adjustments.

He was fun to RP for his brief span of existance. The DM wound up swiping him as an NPC for another group.
    Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

http://zyanya.wikidot.com/start

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

I played a character called Kesiliss once, who was a Galidyn - an obscure Star Wars race that looks like a kind of snake-bird-dragon thing with a long snout. This was before I'd learned that min-maxing was a bad idea, so I made Kesiliss' Strength score so high that he was almost immune to character-scale weapons. He could take heavy blaster shots and ignore them, and could kill pretty much any humanoid with his teeth. On several occasions, he saved a PC or crucial NPC from dying by covering them and soaking up the blaster fire.

The GM eventually blew him up with an assault starship. He sent the ship right down through the atmosphere of the planet we were on and chased Kesiliss around the city, trashing most of the buildings in the process. He finally got every gunner on the starship to Force Point their attack rolls to make sure they got him.

This was the point at which I learnt that overpowered characters are not a good idea.

- Saph

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

An alcoholic sentient amoeba. Tales from the Floating Vagabond was a strange game.
    "They say we wizards are subtle. But believe you me, we've got nothing, nothing at all on women" - Harry Dresden, Storm Front
    A thousand and one blessings on the house of Ishukira for the Illuminated One avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Myself. Starting with levels in Player, later multiclassing to Rules Lawyer. I could use all sorts of cool abilities, like 'Fudge Dice Roll' and 'Argue False Point.' That was an amazing game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Elf Rogue/Fighter/Wizard. Not really strange, but would have ended up with far too many classes if the game had kept going.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm still trying to play my gnoll ranger/rogue who duel wields hand crossbows...Sadly I have yet too.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I make a point of playing strange characters.
    To name but a few (with some of them still in ongoing campains):
    A male Gnome Sorcerer/Fleshgrafter/Thaumathurgist who was in turn reincarnated as a silver dragon by means of a wish spell,

A female human Cleric of Vecna who had a split personality (which was in turn a warlock/ninja/assasin). This girl ended each night with a full moon as her assasin counterpart and was eventually killed by her party members as a means of "setting free her spirit".

A male Karsite Binder/Soulknife (see discussion thread elsewhere on this forum) who pretended to be an Eldrichten Knight to lead his church going assailents on red harings when they looked for him.

I think it may be a challenge to see who on this forum has played the most "standerd" character instead as may of us are experienced players.....

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

My favourite character yet is/was standard dwarf fighter with waraxe and shield, later going into Dwarven Defender. If that isn't generic, I don't know what is.

My oddest? Probably would have been the pixie cleric, had it not been for a) losing internet access and dropping out of the game and b) realising you can't start with a pixie at level 1 and just gain experience slower (I was new ;D).
    A one worm armoury. Proficient with none of it.

Lorr Cordasco, Telepath, Lost and Gone Forever

GiTP Murder game

10. - Top - End - #10
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Elf Rogue/Fighter/Wizard. Not really strange, but would have ended up with far too many classes if the game had kept going.
    In AD&D, that would have worked. Wasn't it a multiclass combination for elves or half-elves?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    In AD&D, that would have worked. Wasn't it a multiclass combination for elves or half-elves?
    Yes; Fighter/Mage/Thief and Fighter/Mage/Cleric were both valid multi-classes for the point-ears in 2nd edition.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Once I was bored, so I rolled up the stats for a tree. I was a sentient tree- I had a permanent homebrew spell that made me sentient. I couldn't move though, but my DM gave me eschew materials, silent spell and still spell for free. Yup. I was a tree-wizard. I used ghost sound to speak- I could see and hear as part of the homebrew spell.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Doesn't the spell Awaken do the same thing?
    And Ghost Sound does not produce understandable speech.

But overall, that is a strange character.
    A silent knight is better than a holey knight.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by silentknight View Post
    The Awaken spell lets you talk and move your limbs. He only wanted to sit there, I presume.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

15. - Top - End - #15

SamuraiGuy

My favourite character ever? Well, probably my long-running 2E fighter Eardwulf MacHengest. Pure fighter, not that tweaked but awesome to play and mean in a scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

16. - Top - End - #16

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by silentknight View Post
    And Ghost Sound does not produce understandable speech.

But overall, that is a strange character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Sound
    The volume of sound created depends on your level. You can produce as much noise as four normal humans per caster level (maximum twenty humans). Thus, talking, singing, shouting, walking, marching, or running sounds can be created.
    Yes, it can.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

A phrenic half-celestial kobold paladin 2
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Kesiliss' Strength score so high that he was almost immune to character-scale weapons.

Was this WEG Star Wars? Even in that, I cant think of a way to do that... and Speeder scale (or whatever that scale was called) wouldve destroyed you. And d20 Star Wars has no such mechanic.

edit: on-topic - A Warforged Frenzied Berserker. I normally only play humans (I'm a feataholic) and often play fighters (even though I argue very strongly that theyre underpowered) so this one was kind of out of left field according to the rest of my group.

20. - Top - End - #20

I played a tiefling homebrew warlock. He was awesome. In one round, at second level, he dealt 1d10 + 34d6 anti-matter damage (no save, no sr) to a single opponent. Makes the blaster caster not so weak when you can pwn pretty much anything inside a city.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

A Shan in d20 Call of Cthulhu. I used a ranged weapon and had a Dex of 30. Also, I was incorporeal and could possess people. I eventually got killed by a Chosen of Hastur who wanted my candy, though.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

22. - Top - End - #22

I also had a human cleric who died and was placed on a random altar in a random dungeon (it sounded like a good idea at the time). She became an unspecified spirit being. I then was able to use her to possess random npcs to add whatever character class I needed, plus she retained all of her spell-casting abilities, since they were mental and not physical. She ended up possessing a drow priestess before we took on the bbeg (who was using the drow as minions). We all died, but Faith was awesome!

EDIT: Huzzah! Barbarian!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mauril Everleaf View Post
    I played a tiefling homebrew warlock. He was awesome. In one round, at second level, he dealt 1d10 + 34d6 anti-matter damage (no save, no sr) to a single opponent. Makes the blaster caster not so weak when you can pwn pretty much anything inside a city.
    I bolded the important word there. That makes the arguement not so strong when its based off of something that probably isnt remotely balanced. :)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

So many;
    1)Human Barbarian/Wizard.
    2)Githyanki Barbarian/Beastmaster with a roc (and 2 more that just followed me around) for companion and a few swarms of TRAINED birds.
    3)Githzerai Monk/Sorcerer/Cleric/Mystic Theurge. (Still Playing)
    4)Half-Dragon/Half-Ogre Barbarian weilding a Huge greataxe.
    5)Shifter Druidic Avenger/Moonspeaker with 100'+ of movement.
    6)Kender Rogue/Bard (Need I say more?)
    7)Half-Red Dragon Troll Barbarian... with a ring of acid resistance.

Most (and perhaps only) normal Character;
    Kalashtar Psion:Kineticist/Thrallherd ... Except that my DM gave me a puppeteer worm as my Thrall, as well as an Ogre ranger (This made me die a little on the inside, and laugh a lot on the outside). The worm is technically on the ranger, though if I remove it the ranger still does what I tell him.
    "Only YOU can prevent forum fires" -Anonymous
    "To err is human, to really screw up requires a computer." - Anonymous

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

I played a half elf Druid in 3.0 ...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Well, I've created a dryad subspecies and gave her a specialty class similar to shadow dancer. It required multiclassing rogue and fighter. Then I made her the master of attacks of oportunity using some older rules. She's unbalanced though.

I've also created a hobgoblin ranger w/ an abysmal Wisdom score and a double bladed sword.

Um, Gnoll barbarian, nothing wierd there I guess.

Right now, I have aspirations of creating a speed demon who'd break the speed of sound at level 25 running, but I'm not sure what stacks for speed boosts and I dont' know what the fastest base race would be. I'm thinking a kobold at the moment, just for kicks and giggles, since then it'd be about 2 feet tall and could scream 'andale andale' as he went past.
    Last edited by Varion; 2007-01-22 at 06:14 PM.
    Tal ves, algun dia quizas...&&I\'ve played D&D so much I\'ve forgotten what I didn\'t know.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

This cute little Kobold Master of Many Forms...

...and probabilty reaches 1.

Shadowy Goodness since 1892.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Death, your friend the Reaper View Post
    Now we head around under the cover of night looking for threads that will most likely be locked, directing people to the new members thread, and fighting crime.

28. - Top - End - #28

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Varion View Post
    Right now, I have aspirations of creating a speed demon who'd break the speed of sound at level 25 running, but I'm not sure what stacks for speed boosts and I dont' know what the fastest base race would be. I'm thinking a kobold at the moment, just for kicks and giggles, since then it'd be about 2 feet tall and could scream 'andale andale' as he went past.
    Monk has fast movement that continues to increase even into epic levels, but as far as race goes though, bigger is usually better in the speed department. Unfortunately there isn't much variation in base speed to be found.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I've had some strange ones. The anthropomorphic sperm whale paladin was among the best, though. It was only with a great effort of will that I restrained myself from making his name Richard Mobius.

I also played a pixie knight once on these boards. That was fun.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #30

The fastest PC? A level 20 Zeph Monk with the following feats

Speed of Thought (+10ft to speed)
    Dash (+5ft to speed)
    Xeph Burst, Extra (Taken Multiple Times, adds +30ft to speed for 1 round per use)

Your base land speed (without items) would be 105ft/round, the Xeph burst adds another 30ft to that speed with each use, each lasting 1 round.

Then you add some Boots of Springing and Striding. 115ft/round, with a burst for 145ft/round 11 times a day. So, in 66 seconds you could cover 6,960ft, or a little over 2.1 kilometres. That's with you sprinting, of course.

Now, if your DM will allow you to combine items, you MIGHT be able to combine those with Boots of Haste, adding another 30ft to your speed for 10 rounds a day, boosting that up to 175ft/round for 10 rounds, an 11th round at 145ft/round, and the rest at a measily 115ft/round. End Result? In exactly 60 seconds, you could run 7,000ft, again a little over 2.1 kilometres, but this time you'd be 6 seconds faster.

Dragons are faster, but they have a lot more hitdie, and are dragons. Nuff said
    Last edited by Rei_Jin; 2007-01-22 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.