New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Nausea is a mind-affecting ability?
    I think he means that attacking yourself (and thus being vulnerable to the attack) would probably require the influence of a mind-affecting ability.

However, I don't agree with his conclusion that the swarm attacking itself would make it vulnerable; distraction isn't an attack, and since vermin have no specific immunity to the Nausea, they should be affected as well. This seems to be a similar situation to the Dread Necromancer's Negative Energy Burst, both have an effect that doesn't distinguish between the origin of the ability and the other eligible victims.

The only reason I can see that the Swarm would be immune would be that Distraction works on creatures that share the square with the swarm, so unless the swarm shares the square with itself, it shouldn't be nauseated. I don't know the RAW on that, but it seems like the Swarm wouldn't be
    Last edited by 3WhiteFox3; 2013-10-25 at 11:16 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phelix-Mu View Post
    We live in the land of the internets, where arguing is never pointless.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Everything can attack itself. Most things usually don't, but it's possible.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Swarms can be Half-Dragon. I'm not sure if that's truly dysfunctional, but it is kinda weird.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Orc in the Playground

I just wanted to chime in and say that I find this thread endlessly amusing, and I don't even play D&D.
    Last edited by Silver Swift; 2013-10-25 at 05:07 PM.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

5. - Top - End - #305
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    Swarms can be Half-Dragon. I'm not sure if that's truly dysfunctional, but it is kinda weird.
    If the swarm can be Half-Dragon without the constituent creatures of the swarm being Half-Dragon, that seems pretty dysfunctional to me. And kooky to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

I feel like there's something against it, but I can't find what. Worst part is that warm entry even says "for game terms treat a swarm as a single creature."
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Half-dragon is an inherited template and swarms aren't born, they form from thousands of other creatures. So you can have a swarm of half-dragon things, but not a half-dragon swarm.

On the other hand, is there a ritual that allows you to get the half-dragon template? because that could work on a swarm, or even mob. Or maybe a swarm of hellwasps stayed a swarm long enough to complete the dragon disciple prestige class.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure if that has been mentioned before:

The jump bonus is based on the creature's speed, not the movement before jumping.

If a creature has a speed greater than 30 ft. it gets a bonus even on standing jumps.
    Alternately a creature with a speed lower than 30 ft. still is penalized even if it did not move to facilitate the jump.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Not sure if that has been mentioned before:

The jump bonus is based on the creature's speed, not the movement before jumping.

If a creature has a speed greater than 30 ft. it gets a bonus even on standing jumps.
    Alternately a creature with a speed lower than 30 ft. still is penalized even if it did not move to facilitate the jump.
    While that's not entirely sensible, it's at least a decent simplification; if you can only crawl along, surely your legs are not very good at propelling you with swiftness and strength, no?

Or, take dwarves, who always take the penalty: their legs are too short and stubby to really let them jump well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Which is why you have to toss them.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

I'm now picturing a cloud of buzzing insects, with two huge leathery wings sprouting out of the cloud.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

I'm picturing two wings made up of swarm creatures, myself.

The breath weapon doesn't work nearly as well that way though.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post

They make the organs to produce breath weapons out of swarms.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post

Sure it does, the swarm critters each have a tiny low-damage breath weapon that covers about five inches, and they fly past the target and strafe it en masse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

15. - Top - End - #315
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rotting troglodytes smell better than living troglodytes. That is to say, they lose the stench ability when they become zombies. (And they're one of the premade zombie stat blocks.)

16. - Top - End - #316

The definintion of the swarm sub-type suggests that a swarm of Tiny, non-flying creatures (like rats) consists of around 300 creatures.

So I am forced to imagine that a Hal-Dragon Rat Swarm would consist of 150 rats and 150 dragons, all scurrying around squeaking.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    I don't know, a celestial dire tiger can be pretty nasty. Then there is the celestial horrid tiger to consider.
    polymorph can't turn you into stuff with templates on it.

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    The definintion of the swarm sub-type suggests that a swarm of Tiny, non-flying creatures (like rats) consists of around 300 creatures.

So I am forced to imagine that a Hal-Dragon Rat Swarm would consist of 150 rats and 150 dragons, all scurrying around squeaking.
    I was under the impression that it would be 300 scaled, winged rats flying around and clambering over each other
    Last edited by Venger; 2013-10-27 at 09:35 AM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gadora View Post
    Rotting troglodytes smell better than living troglodytes. That is to say, they lose the stench ability when they become zombies. (And they're one of the premade zombie stat blocks.)
    So do skunks, once the fluid they make dries up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

19. - Top - End - #319

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    So do skunks, once the fluid they make dries up.
    Fair enough.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    polymorph can't turn you into stuff with templates on it.
    There, I was talking about a potential animal companion that you were getting rid of. A druid with exalted companion can have the celestial template version of any ordinary animal companion.

Edit: Also, why can't you polymorph into templated stuff?
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-10-27 at 02:31 PM.

Current avatar by me

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Edit: Also, why can't you polymorph into templated stuff?
    First, because it'd make Polymorph even more of a rules and book-keeping nightmare, and second because Polymorph is based on Alter Self, which states:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Alter Self
    You do not gain any supernatural special attacks, special qualities, or spell-like abilities of the new form. Your creature type and subtype (if any) remain the same regardless of your new form. You cannot take the form of any creature with a template, even if that template doesn’t change the creature type or subtype.
    (Emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-10-27 at 02:45 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

22. - Top - End - #322
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

That's arguably changed with PAO. But then, PAO is in and of itself a massive dysfunction.

The question here is about whether "changes one object into another" completely overrides all the restrictions on Polymorph. The examples indicate that this is the case, such as by giving inanimate objects hit dice.

But I'm sure you can imagine the can of worms if you actually follow "change one object or creature into another" and ignore the HD and template restrictions normally imposed by Polymorph spells. It would be terrible.

But the example shows the intent was clearly to bypass the HD restriction on Polymorph spells, and there's nothing in the language to mean you can't do the same with the template restriction.

So yes, you should be able to PAO something (anything, actually) into a half-dragon swarm

alternatively, anyone with 10 levels of Dragon Disciple should retain their template even if polymorphed into a swarm

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Charging and Paralyzed creatures in your path is weird in SOME way.

If "Helpless creatures don't stop a charge." is a specific exception to the more general charge rules, it makes it so an enemy on his feet under Hold Person directly in your path doesn't stop you charging but an ally who has plenty of room to avoid you because your path barely goes through his square DOES and the same enemy would if he was instead turned to stone (despite how much space he takes up and his mobility being the same).

If it isn't an exception, a dying guy doesn't impeed a charge but suddenly does if he is hit by Hold Person.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2013-10-27 at 04:12 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Troll in the Playground

It's like the polymorph line is a black hole of dysfunction and PAO is it's singularity.

Edit: Hey, that might not be a bad thread title itself. "It's a black hole of dysfunction"
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-10-27 at 04:18 PM.

Current avatar by me

25. - Top - End - #325
    Orc in the Playground

Edit: Hey, that might not be a bad thread title itself. "It's a black hole of dysfunction"
    Dysfunctional Rules V- Passing the dysfunction event horizon
    "Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

Cryptic avatar made by the fantastic Linklele

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine Crow View Post
    Dysfunctional Rules V- Passing the dysfunction event horizon
    Brilliant. Love it.

Current avatar by me

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Has my vote.
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Come on, guys, we still have thirty-nine pages before we need a new thread.

Here's an adventure dysfunction: Shadows of the Last War, an Eberron adventure, has a color-based key system for a dungeon within the Mournland. One of the key colors is yellow, and you have to have a yellow key in order to complete the adventure. However, there are no yellow key-rods anywhere within the published adventure, just locks.

And no, you can't pick them.

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    Come on, guys, we still have thirty-nine pages before we need a new thread.

Here's an adventure dysfunction: Shadows of the Last War, an Eberron adventure, has a color-based key system for a dungeon within the Mournland. One of the key colors is yellow, and you have to have a yellow key in order to complete the adventure. However, there are no yellow key-rods anywhere within the published adventure, just locks.

And no, you can't pick them.
    IT'S DUNGEONCRASHING TIME!
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

It's like the polymorph line is a black hole of dysfunction and PAO is it's singularity.

Polymorph Any Object a rock -> Star -> Black Hole.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.