New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    Fax_Celestis:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are rules for this in Stormwrack.
    edit: Yes, on page 81

p.s. Ksheep: The FAQ may not be RAW, but it is certainly official, which generally puts it in the quasi-useful zone that exists below errata, but above random stranger on the internets opinion. If doubt exists, you might as well rely on the FAQ until you can find acceptable proof in one of the books to follow.
    Page 81? Can't find anything there about maximum jump distance while swimming on that page. Page 85 talks about jumping while swimming, and while it says that you use your swim speed to determine the Jump skill modifier, it does not say that you use the swim speed to determine the maximum distance traveled in a jump per round. In fact, for Long Jump, it states that "crossing horizontal distance in the air requires a long jump, just as described under the Jump skill in the Player's Handbook." It does not override anything mentioned in the PHB, so the "normal maximum movement in a round" clause is still in effect.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

2. - Top - End - #482

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Page 81? Can't find anything there about maximum jump distance while swimming on that page. Page 85 talks about jumping while swimming, and while it says that you use your swim speed to determine the Jump skill modifier, it does not say that you use the swim speed to determine the maximum distance traveled in a jump per round. In fact, for Long Jump, it states that "crossing horizontal distance in the air requires a long jump, just as described under the Jump skill in the Player's Handbook." It does not override anything mentioned in the PHB, so the "normal maximum movement in a round" clause is still in effect.
    So you don't consider this part important?:

Creatures without swim speeds generally can't make jumps out of water.

3. - Top - End - #483
    Ettin in the Playground

This though says nothing about which speed to use to calculate when the creature lands or whether its jump check is modified. Most likely the authors intended to use the swim speed for both, but the rules never say so.

Also "generally" weakens the statement.

[silly]Grammatically the sentence could also mean "Creatures without swim speeds generally can't make jumps unless immersed in water."[/silly] What they wanted to say though is "Creatures without swim speeds generally can't exit a body of water through jumping"
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-11-13 at 02:36 AM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

Justice of Weald and Woe may have a name that sparks confusion and improperly placed casting description text, but it does have one perk. At level one your fort and ref saves are +3 instead of +2, and the accelerated save progression is maintained in all 10 levels.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

5. - Top - End - #485

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    This though says nothing about which speed to use to calculate when the creature lands or whether its jump check is modified. Most likely the authors intended to use the swim speed for both, but the rules never say so.

Also "generally" weakens the statement.

[silly]Grammatically the sentence could also mean "Creatures without swim speeds generally can't make jumps unless immersed in water."[/silly] What they wanted to say though is "Creatures without swim speeds generally can't exit a body of water through jumping"
    No, generally just indicates you need 'another' rule (an exception) to allow it.

And your reading is not grammatically correct.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    No, generally just indicates you need 'another' rule (an exception) to allow it.

And your reading is not grammatically correct.
    It's an entirely valid reading; "(Creatures without swim speeds) cannot make jumps (out of water)" is a grammatically correct parsing, albeit an incredibly silly one that no one honestly thinks is intended.

To put it another way, "out of" can mean either "leave the (water)" or "(jumps that) take place outside of (the water)." Both meanings result in valid sentences.

Either way, that doesn't actually say that you use swim speed to determine maximum jumping distance out of the water, so the dysfunction stands.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2013-11-14 at 03:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

A creature with swallow whole has a number of creatures that it can hold in it's stomach. For example, a Sea Drake (Fiend Folio) can hold 2 large, 4 medium, or 16 small or smaller creatures in it's stomach.

The Sea Drake could hold a swarm in it's stomach, but it would be unable to hold the creatures that make up the swarm in it's stomach, because there would be too many of them.

I'm pretty sure this applies to a few other monsters too.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-11-15 at 12:46 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I much lime the ranged threat (threaten a 15 ft area of effect for purpose of making attacks of opportunity) and Clever Opportunity (Switch places with any target you get an AoO on)

Oh, hello Mr. Wizard, meet my friends!

9. - Top - End - #489
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    The Sea Drake could hold a swarm in it's stomach, but it would be unable to hold the creatures that make up the swarm in it's stomach, because there would be too many of them.
    Not a dysfunction. Swarms are explicitly counted as a single creature for these kinds of purposes.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Titan in the Playground

One must wonder how the swarm got swallowed to begin with, though... Is it possible to grapple a swarm?
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    —As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

11. - Top - End - #491
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    One must wonder how the swarm got swallowed to begin with, though... Is it possible to grapple a swarm?
    I don't think so, but you could swallow something that then Plolymorphs into a swarm.

For reference, a swarm of Tiny Flyers consists of 1,000 creatures, many times what something like a Sea Drake could Swallow Whole one at a time.

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

swarms do not have to remain swarms. If the swarm decides it doesn't want to be a swarm anymore then it doesn't count as a single creature anymore.

I need to think about how the swarm got in the stomach for a bit, though.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

13. - Top - End - #493
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    Not a dysfunction. Swarms are explicitly counted as a single creature for these kinds of purposes.
    It's not a RAW dysfunction, no; it's just a brain-bender, because a seemingly insignificant metagame difference has absurdly disproportionate in-game effects.

(As far as I know, there's no RAW translation possible between "swarm of 300 tiny creatures" and "300 tiny creatures". Either you have a swarm, which is counted as a single creature for most purposes, or else you have a ton of creatures, and there's no way for a swarm to say "OK, now we are a ton of creatures" or vice versa; polymorph et al work only on a single creature at a time and cannot combine multiple into one.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

I guess there is no RAW transition from one to the other. It seems implied though, especially in some of their own adventures.

But still, I have a swarm of thousands of creatures that fit in the stomach, but 17 bats are too many.

Edit: as for ways to get a swarm into the stomach...
    • Creature inside of stomach summons a swarm
    • Swarm was inside a bag of holding type space on creature swallowed and then released
    • The polymorphing effect mentioned above
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-11-15 at 07:17 PM.

Current avatar by me

15. - Top - End - #495
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, there is a way for a swarm to become a bunch of individuals: That's what happens when you "kill" a swarm:
    Traits

A swarm has no clear front or back and no discernable anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or flanking. A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons. A swarm composed of Fine or Diminutive creatures is immune to all weapon damage. Reducing a swarm to 0 hit points or lower causes it to break up...
    Or use nonlethal damage:
    A swarm rendered unconscious by means of nonlethal damage becomes disorganized and dispersed, and does not reform until its hit points exceed its nonlethal damage.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    —As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

How well do swarms handle drowning? afb

Cause things can drown in a sea drakes's stomach.

It would be hilarious if the swarm drowned in the sea drake's stomach and it had to suddenly spit up hundreds/thousands of creatures. (not sure if they are dead or not though.)
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-11-15 at 08:55 PM.

Current avatar by me

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Speaking of swarms remind me of something odd related to wildshaping into them, as well as another wildshape related rule oversight.

Thing1:Normally, druids aare prevented from wildshaping into swarms because they are too small:even though the swarm has space 10, it is still Tiny/Diminuitive/Fine. Enter the Master of Many Forms. They can use their wildshape, at higher levels, to turn into tiny and diminuitive creatures, allowing them to become a swarm. However, Wildshape, as perAlternate Form, doesn't allow you to pick up subtypes other than aqutic. Ergo, despite being a swarm, you don't gain the swarm subtype.Most of the swarm-related abilities still work, since they merely involve moving into space and covering up several squares (which you still do).However, you miss out on most the perks of turning into a swarm in the first place (though you do avoid the weakness to area attacks).

Thing2:Wildshape causes you to restore HP as if you had rested for the night. Divine Minion's fast wildshape is as druid, but they have infinite uses and can use it as a free action. Put two and two together for infinite self-heal every turn.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, there is a way for a swarm to become a bunch of individuals: That's what happens when you "kill" a swarm:

Or use nonlethal damage:
    I thought of that, but it wasn't clear how many of those individuals are left.

Although I suppose non-lethal should leave all of them. Hmm. Fair enough, I guess there's one way.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

19. - Top - End - #499
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    I thought of that, but it wasn't clear how many of those individuals are left.

Although I suppose non-lethal should leave all of them. Hmm. Fair enough, I guess there's one way.
    I hate to bring it up because I'm not a fan of this particular dysfunction, but wouldn't it not matter if they are alive or dead since RAW doesn't make much of a distinction between a living creature and a dead creature?

Current avatar by me

20. - Top - End - #500
    Banned

Actually, there is a way for a swarm to become a bunch of individuals: That's what happens when you "kill" a swarm
    However, those 'individuals' are non-entities in the game world, of absolutely no consequence. Swarms are a VERY abstract concept.

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

However, those 'individuals' are non-entities in the game world, of absolutely no consequence. Swarms are a VERY abstract concept.
    Bat Swarm and Bat are both in the monster manual. Are you saying a swarm of bats that is a bat swarm disappears when the swarm is damaged enough to die or be knocked unconscious?
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-11-15 at 10:46 PM.

Current avatar by me

22. - Top - End - #502
    Banned

Bat Swarm and Bat are both in the monster manual. Are you saying a swarm of bats that is a bat swarm disappears when the swarm is damaged enough to die or be knocked unconscious?
    As far as the game is concerned, yes.

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

As far as the game is concerned, yes.
    Really, because it gives us a rough number of creatures that make up a swarm. It also gives us stats for an individual creature. It doesn't say the creatures disappear. It doesn't say the individual creatures of a swarm are any different than a normal individual creature. Therefore, I suggest that the rules suggest that the creatures do not just disappear from a confined area and are clearly defined as individuals once the swarm has dispersed. since the rules do not suggest otherwise, it seems to mean that we have a large number of individual unconscious or dead bats.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-11-15 at 10:58 PM.

Current avatar by me

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Really, because it gives us a rough number of creatures that make up a swarm. It also gives us stats for an individual creature.
    Actually there are stats only for some swarm creatures. There are no individual hellwasps, no individual locusts, no individual centipedes or spiders, and no … ruins, or whatever it is ruin swarms are made of. Also no maggots for a worm that walks.

25. - Top - End - #505

SwashbucklerGuy

Actually there are stats only for some swarm creatures. There are no individual hellwasps, no individual locusts, no individual centipedes or spiders, and no … ruins, or whatever it is ruin swarms are made of. Also no maggots for a worm that walks.
    Well, there are Monstrous Spiders and Centipedes, which have stats for Tiny size, but the Swarm version claims that they are Diminutive, so I guess that's a moot point…
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2013-11-16 at 12:14 AM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

26. - Top - End - #506
    Troll in the Playground

Nitpicking aside, it's still dysfunctional if even one such swarm exists, like the bats.

Ruin swarms are obviously made out of the concept of "ruin". Ignore the text about unnamed vermin.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-11-16 at 12:15 AM.

Current avatar by me

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

Nitpicking aside, it's still dysfunctional if even one such swarm exists, like the bats.
    Well, there's probably several dysfunctions (one of them being that it's quite possible that swarms really do just disintegrate into thin air once they hit 0), but the existence of one or two possible candidates for individual creatures doesn't in itself guarantee that swarms can and should separate into such individual creatures once they hit 0.

In fact, given that fighting a bat swarm of 13 HP could easily end in having to track 5000 individual bats of 1 HP each (how much damage did they take?), I think it is actually unreasonable, not to mention highly impractical, to assume the individual creatures remain.

28. - Top - End - #508

SwashbucklerGuy

In fact, given that fighting a bat swarm of 13 HP could easily end in having to track 5000 individual bats of 1 HP each (how much damage did they take?), I think it is actually unreasonable, not to mention highly impractical, to assume the individual creatures remain.
    Actually, there's evidence that the Bat and Bat Swarm are not the same. The Bat entry states that "statistics presented here describe small, insectivorous bats", while the Swarm entry states that "a bat swarm seeks to surround and attack any warm-blooded prey it encounters". While not a direct contradiction, it stands to reason that an insectivorous bat would not seek out warm-blooded prey, and as such the two are referring to different types of bat.

EDIT: However, if we assume that they ARE interchangeable, then we have an interesting quirk pop up: Swarm of Bats is CR 2, while Bat is CR 1/10. Using an Encounter Generator, it appears that 5,000 Bats results in an EL of 17.9… Just when you thought you've won an easy fight, the EL increases dramatically.
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2013-11-16 at 02:10 AM.

*It does.*

What.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Actually, there's evidence that the Bat and Bat Swarm are not the same. The Bat entry states that "statistics presented here describe small, insectivorous bats", while the Swarm entry states that "a bat swarm seeks to surround and attack any warm-blooded prey it encounters". While not a direct contradiction, it stands to reason that an insectivorous bat would not seek out warm-blooded prey, and as such the two are referring to different types of bat.
    Yeah, I noticed that too but didn't mention it.

EDIT: However, if we assume that they ARE interchangeable, then we have an interesting quirk pop up: Swarm of Bats is CR 2, while Bat is CR 1/10. Using an Encounter Generator, it appears that 5,000 Bats results in an EL of 17.9… Just when you thought you've won an easy fight, the EL increases dramatically.
    At least regular bats have no attacks (a fact I didn't previously notice and that rather puts paid to the interchangeability idea entirely). Otherwise that really would be rather painful, since you'd end up with 250 bats at each initiative between 3 and 22, and each clump would hit a minimum of 12 times. Unless you have DR, do not lose initiative to them.

On the upside, AoEs take them down fast.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

I think everyone here is forgetting the Mob template from DMGII. A mob is a gargantuan creature composed of 48 Small/Medium Creatures or 12 large creatures.

I'm not saying it's easy to swallow one whole (you'd have to reduce its size first), but it could be done.