New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    I think you replied to the wrong guy. I was the one wh said that old people don't have good hearing. And I've never heard about anythng else, really; My only real experences with the hearing of old people have been that you have to speak loudly, slowly and with clear words in order for them to get what you say. But that's what, at max 50 people out of the whole world? I can accept being wrong.
    I believe Andvare was being sarcastic when he said that…
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

The real problem with the Listen thing is not for adventurers. It's for society as a whole. If every low Wisdom character has a 50% chance of not understanding things, that wreaks havoc on society.

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Two words: Distance. Penalties.
    Thank you.

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ogre in the Playground

An offshoot of the "int boosting an animal turns its creature type undefined" is the spell Aspect of the Wolf, which explicitly states:
    • Your creature type changes to animal
    • you retain all mental ability scores

4. - Top - End - #604

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    An offshoot of the "int boosting an animal turns its creature type undefined" is the spell Aspect of the Wolf, which explicitly states:
    Ha, fail.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I'm going to call 'Specific Trumps General' on this one and say under the effects of Aspect of the Wolf you get to be an Animal with >2 INT. I have to, or else I'm not getting any sleep tonight. I'll just lay awake, wondering how often the designers read the rules that their content is interacting with.
    Last edited by Harrow; 2013-11-20 at 05:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    I'll just lay awake, wondering how often the designers read the rules that they're content is interacting with.
    Offhand, I'd say 0% of the time.

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    Offhand, I'd say 0% of the time.
    Yeah. Of course, there's no way they can read it as often or as thoroughly as millions of players over 10-15 years can.

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Two words: Distance. Penalties.
    That's a dysfunction. In reality, given equal-size sources, something 2x as far away is 4x as hard to see (Spot) or hear (Listen). D&D's linear penalties for distance have no relation to that. A D&D encounter can supposedly happen at up to 1440' (Plains terrain, with maximum rolls), but it only starts when one side makes a successful Spot check to detect the other party. From page 92 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
    Stealth and Detection in Plains: In plains terrain, the maximum distance at which a Spot check for detecting the nearby presence of others can succeed is 6d6×40 feet, although the specifics of your map may restrict line of sight.

Plains terrain provides no bonuses or penalties on Listen and Spot checks.
    1440' distance imposes a -144 penalty to Spot checks.

9. - Top - End - #609

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    That's a dysfunction. In reality, given equal-size sources, something 2x as far away is 4x as hard to see (Spot) or hear (Listen). D&D's linear penalties for distance have no relation to that. A D&D encounter can supposedly happen at up to 1440' (Plains terrain, with maximum rolls), but it only starts when one side makes a successful Spot check to detect the other party. From page 92 of Dungeon Master's Guide: 1440' distance imposes a -144 penalty to Spot checks.
    That makes sense as Spot Checks are to:

notice bandits waiting in ambush, to see a rogue lurking in the alley, to see through a disguise, to read lips, or to see the monstrous centipede in the pile of trash.
    None of those represent normal sight, only an attempt to see something trying to hide or conceal itself.

It's worth noting the DMG lists spot checks as one of three plus options for starting encounters, the other two that are enumerated just so happen to be listen checks and sight ranges.
    Last edited by Pickford; 2013-11-20 at 01:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #610
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    None of those represent normal sight, only an attempt to see something trying to hide or conceal itself.
    Those are examples, and attempting to derive a full rule specification from examples is generally unproductive. While the Spot skill is used primarily to detect characters or creatures who are hiding, it's also used for things in plain sight; see Player's Handbook on page 64 (start of the Skills chapter).

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

Can we not start the Spot discussion again? We've already had an extremely long and fruitless argument about just that. It begins on page 20 and goes on for the entire rest of the thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

12. - Top - End - #612
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    The real problem with the Listen thing is not for adventurers. It's for society as a whole. If every low Wisdom character has a 50% chance of not understanding things, that wreaks havoc on society.
    Actually, it's more that people are aware that people don't listen to what they have to say, and thus tend to repeat themselves (Three times!) in multiple ways when saying something important, and the laws of grammar also allow intuitive 'filling in the blanks' when you do miss specific words, and can still get the gist of a sentence.

Distance penalties don't kick in until you're more than 10' from someone, and you have to raise your voice to speak to them (DC -5 instead of 0), instead of just talking face-to-face normally.

Hmm... it seems the 3.5 DMG lacks clear rules for handling sight range in the way the 3.0 DMG did, which, if I remember, far better and more realistic - it was the same ranges, but the Spot DC was relatively static (With no distance penalties), and you either saw someone at the Xd6xWhatever feet, or you failed the spot check and automatically saw them at half that.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    Hmm... it seems the 3.5 DMG lacks clear rules for handling sight range in the way the 3.0 DMG did, which, if I remember, far better and more realistic - it was the same ranges, but the Spot DC was relatively static (With no distance penalties), and you either saw someone at the Xd6xWhatever feet, or you failed the spot check and automatically saw them at half that.
    No, 3.0 rules were largely the same, with one exception: if you got down to half of the initial distance at which an encounter could have started, you automatically become aware. 3.5 rules retain this only for encountering avalanches and forest fires; for everything else, no encounter happens without a successful Spot or Listen check, even if you've got groups passing each other at close distance.

14. - Top - End - #614

For more skill sillyness, a farmer can't identify his own livestock unless he crossclasses Know(Nature). He also can't recognize his own race without Know(Local). You see, the DC to identify a creature is 10+HD. Knowledge checks can only be attempted untrained is the DC is 10 or less. This must be why there are so many half-elves.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Troll in the Playground

The Physical Power mantle (Complete Psionics) has an ability that can only be activated with a "Tree Action". Also, the Divine Mind has access to a mantle called "Mental Tower".

How that latter typo occurred is beyond me, as the "P" and "T" keys are nowhere near each other.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    The Physical Power mantle (Complete Psionics) has an ability that can only be activated with a "Tree Action". Also, the Divine Mind has access to a mantle called "Mental Tower".

How that latter typo occurred is beyond me, as the "P" and "T" keys are nowhere near each other.
    Given it's nature as a defensive mantle, and that towers are defensive structures, while "power" implies offense, it seems more deliberate than a typo. Synonyms would be things like "Mental Fortress," which certainly fits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

17. - Top - End - #617

SwashbucklerGuy

Maybe they were using the Colemak keyboard layout? Might explain some other errors as well…
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2013-11-20 at 04:11 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thisisacat View Post
    For more skill sillyness, a farmer can't identify his own livestock unless he crossclasses Know(Nature). He also can't recognize his own race without Know(Local). You see, the DC to identify a creature is 10+HD. Knowledge checks can only be attempted untrained is the DC is 10 or less.
    The DM can apply circumstance modifiers here.
    Reduce the DC by 2 to represent circumstances that make the task easier, such as having a friendly audience or doing work that can be subpar.
    So a 2 HD farm animal could be identified by the novice (subpar work) farmer.

19. - Top - End - #619
    Troll in the Playground

Another Complete Psionic dysfunction: The Heavy Earth power has this line:

Since you are in the area of heavy gravity, you are slowed just as other creatures are, but you are never knocked prone when you manifest this power.
    If you manifest this power and provoke an AoO, that AoO can never knock you prone (even if a Wolf's bite hits you or a Chain Tripper does his damnedest to try).

20. - Top - End - #620
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thisisacat View Post
    He also can't recognize his own race without Know(Local). You see, the DC to identify a creature is 10+HD. Knowledge checks can only be attempted untrained is the DC is 10 or less. This must be why there are so many half-elves.
    Humans (and elves) have 0 RHD, so that could be considered a DC10.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Titan in the Playground

Still pales in comparison to the greatest typo ever in stormwrack in the description of the magnificent captain's coat:

Quote Originally Posted by stormwrack
    Threat the
    coast as a shirt
    or vestment for determing whether it can
    be worn with other magic items.
    Better start studying how clothes make intimidating comments against landmasses.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Humans (and elves) have 0 RHD, so that could be considered a DC10.
    No, they have one RHD, but (can) exchange it for class levels.

23. - Top - End - #623
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    No, they have one RHD, but (can) exchange it for class levels.
    Actually, no, there's no option ("can"). Humanoids with 1 HD do replace that with their first class HD; you're not allowed to hold onto that racial HD unless you get at least one additional racial HD before your first class level.

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

I wasn't wuite sure whether there was a trick to keep the one hit die.

Anyways the point is moot because every creature has at least one HD and the rules do not call for RHD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster.

25. - Top - End - #625

Curmudgeon:
    Those are examples, and attempting to derive a full rule specification from examples is generally unproductive. While the Spot skill is used primarily to detect characters or creatures who are hiding, it's also used for things in plain sight; see Player's Handbook on page 64 (start of the Skills chapter).
    That example doesn't say 'see' it says 'notice'. The distinction is that noticing means the subject was previously unaware of the existence of said thing. Like Spot, it's indicative of the probability of becoming aware of the existence of a thing. That being said, once one is aware a thing exists they simply see it.

Once you've seen something there's no actual limit to continue seeing it (other than the obvious: curvature of the earth, obstacles blocking view)

for everything else, no encounter happens without a successful Spot or Listen check, even if you've got groups passing each other at close distance.
    That's directly refuted by the DMG section on starting encounters. It lists sight ranges, specifically, as being a valid method in addition to spot and listen. Which means Sight ranges and Spotting are two distinct things.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Halfling in the Playground

Let's drop the topic of spot checks. I don't think there'll ever be an agreement with everyone.

Seriously, there's been 30+ pages arguing specifically this topic.

27. - Top - End - #627
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

I wasn't wuite sure whether there was a trick to keep the one hit die.

Anyways the point is moot because every creature has at least one HD and the rules do not call for RHD:
    If it's just based off of HD, as PCs level up it becomes more and more difficult to discern what race they are.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    If it's just based off of HD, as PCs level up it becomes more and more difficult to discern what race they are.
    That is one of the dysfunction of the rules for discerning species. It is more difficult to identify a colossal flying lizard as a true dragon than a tiny one.

The only creature you could argue that does not work like this is the human. He is not in the MM and thus could be seen as not being a monster.

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

That is one of the dysfunction of the rules for discerning species. It is more difficult to identify a colossal flying lizard as a true dragon than a tiny one.

The only creature you could argue that does not work like this is the human. He is not in the MM and thus could be seen as not being a monster.
    That's because monster isn't quite the right word. Humans seem to act like aberrations in d&d. Only worse, because they are so numerous and regularly successful.

And we should drop those several page arguments. For the sake of this thread it should be enough to say that the rules aren't as clear as they should be (possibly even completely vague).

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

What's clear is that there are no creatures without hit dice, the rules do not refer to racial hit dice and the DC is 10+ # of HD.

Thus the minimum DC is 11, which disallows untrained checks.

Also monster's HD = HD of the monster =/= monster HD.