New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 51 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    The only creature you could argue that does not work like this is the human. He is not in the MM and thus could be seen as not being a monster.
    Humans are the real monsters.

What's clear is that there are no creatures without hit dice
    Technically that may or may not be the case, but as the only creatures I know of that are statted out but without defined HD are intelligent magic items, that doesn't make it any less dysfunctional, since there is no way such an item should be anywhere near as easy to identify as a dwarf or orc or human, never mind easier. (That's right folks, DC 10 K: Arcana check to tell that this finely-wrought sword is actually not just a magic item, but intelligent to boot. No identify spell needed! Works instantly!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Technically that may or may not be the case, but as the only creatures I know of that are statted out but without defined HD are intelligent magic items, that doesn't make it any less dysfunctional, since there is no way such an item should be anywhere near as easy to identify as a dwarf or orc or human, never mind easier. (That's right folks, DC 10 K: Arcana check to tell that this finely-wrought sword is actually not just a magic item, but intelligent to boot. No identify spell needed! Works instantly!)
    To be fair, I'd probably be able to figure out that the sword talking to me was both "intelligent" and magic, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any Knowledge (Arcana) ranks at all.
    Last edited by georgie_leech; 2013-11-21 at 05:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    To be fair, I'd probably be able to figure out that the sword talking to me was both "intelligent" and magic, and I'm pretty sure I don't have any Knowledge (Arcana) ranks at all.
    Sure, but intelligent items only get Speech at third tier up.
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

4. - Top - End - #634
    Ogre in the Playground

Thus the minimum DC is 11, which disallows untrained checks.
    Not quite. Given that all numbers round down, it's a DC of 10 to identify, for instance, a cat.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

tongue Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    Not quite. Given that all numbers round down, it's a DC of 10 to identify, for instance, a cat.
    Good thing too! How many less Commoners would there be if they didn't know they needed to keep far, far away from the Terrifying Beast of Death?
    Remember, posting links to TVTropes is Vile.
    Spoiler: Fun Quotes (Spoiled for Length)
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    You are vile and I will link this post randomly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haley
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Unofficial (Self-titled) Spokes person for the Unofficial TOB Errata
    Now a Vestige!

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

You are right about creatures with less than one HD. I forgot about those. I am not aware of any humanoids with less than one HD though.

So the commoner can identify his nemesis the housecat but not members of his own species. Lol

7. - Top - End - #637
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

So the commoner can identify his nemesis the housecat but not members of his own species. Lol
    without DM intervention...: hence dysfunction

Permission to drop it granted
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Dont know if this has been posted already but Incantatrix (and a fair few other "full casting PrCs") only advances spells/day not caster level or spells known by RAW...

9. - Top - End - #639
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapopolos View Post
    Dont know if this has been posted already but Incantatrix (and a fair few other "full casting PrCs") only advances spells/day not caster level or spells known by RAW...
    How's that, exactly?

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    How's that, exactly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane Trickster
    Spells per Day

When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an arcane trickster, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.
    So a bard/rogue/arcane trickster gets more spells/day and increased caster level, but doesn't learn any new spells.

sux2bu

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

Oddly enough, advancing spells/day without spells known eventually ends in having slots you can't cast from because you don't know any spells of that level. Thank WOTC for metamagic.Actually, that makes it seem practically intentional for incantrix, since the fluff says they love to use metamagic.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Oddly enough, advancing spells/day without spells known eventually ends in having slots you can't cast from because you don't know any spells of that level. Thank WOTC for metamagic.Actually, that makes it seem practically intentional for incantrix, since the fluff says they love to use metamagic.
    Reasonably certain that you're allowed to prepare lower-level spells in higher-level slots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Reasonably certain that you're allowed to prepare lower-level spells in higher-level slots.
    You are correct, sir![/hades]

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p 178: Preparing spells: Spell slots
    A
    spellcaster always has the option to fill a higher-level spell slot with
    a lower-level spell. For example, a 7th-level wizard has at least one
    4th-level spell slot and two 3rd-level spell slots (see Table 3–18: The
    Wizard, page 55). However, the character could choose to prepare
    three 3rd-level spells instead, filling the 4th-level slot with a 3rdlevel
    spell. A spellcaster who lacks a high enough ability score to cast
    spells that would otherwise be his or her due still gets the slots but
    must fill them with spells of lower level.
    Oddly enough, they seem to have done this anticipating a similar circumstance.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    So a bard/rogue/arcane trickster gets more spells/day and increased caster level, but doesn't learn any new spells.
    I was mostly questioning the "not increasing CL" bit, really; I had a vague idea that many PrCs didn't advance spells known, at least for Wizards, but couldn't remember the details offhand.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think this is a dysfunction, just different classes functioning differently.
    From the DMG/SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Archmage
    When a new archmage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Eldritch Knight
    From 2nd level on, when a new eldritch knight level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class she belonged to before she added the prestige class. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that she adds the level of eldritch knight to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day and caster level accordingly.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post

sux2bu
    A Wizard/Rogue/Arcane Trickster would be fine though, well they would have to spend time/money to buy new spells but that's hardly the end of the world. Why does this not surprise me ?

Incidentally your Bard would be OK with things like Arcane Disciple too, or indeed any other option which gave them spells known.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #647

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    You are correct, sir![/hades]
    Unfortunately, that only applies to those who prepare spells. Spontaneous casters can't as it specifically states a caster can prepare spells in higher level spell slots. Bards and Sorcerers don't prepare spells so they can't use higher level slots.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by illyahr View Post
    Unfortunately, that only applies to those who prepare spells. Spontaneous casters can't as it specifically states a caster can prepare spells in higher level spell slots. Bards and Sorcerers don't prepare spells so they can't use higher level slots.
    Actually, it says fill, not prepare. Point is moot anyway, since the SRD says:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD on Sorcerers and Wizards
    Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.
    Which implies that no, you can't use higher level spell "slots" for lower level spells as a sorcerer. Bard has a similar wording, which says "allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level".
    Check out the guys at MitD's thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I still need to trim it down based on publication date, etc., but for now, it's a start.
    It has almost 21k monsters at the moment.
    ... who says we've run out of monsters to check?

19. - Top - End - #649

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Scizor View Post
    Actually, it says fill, not prepare. Point is moot anyway, since the SRD says:
    Which implies that no, you can't use higher level spell "slots" for lower level spells as a sorcerer. Bard has a similar wording, which says "allotment of spells per day for the spell’s level".
    Actually, with that wording, it sounds like you can "fill" a higher-level slot with a lower level spell, provided you still have at least one spell per day for the appropriate level available. However, once you're out of castings for that lower level slot, the upper slot is unavailable (for that level of spell, at least).
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

20. - Top - End - #650

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rastapopolos View Post
    I know this conversation has gone in a different direction (Arcane Trickster and such), but this original post is flat out wrong...at least according to my copy of PGtF. It specifically says:

Quote Originally Posted by Incantatrix
    This essentialy means that she adds the level of incatatrix to the level of whatever other arcane spellcasting class granted her access to 3rd-level spells, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly.
    *checks Magic of Faerun*
    This version notable does not include that line...I don't know which one is the update, but I think, if I'm reading the copyrights correctly, that PG is the later (and thus more "correct" one). Please fix my error if I am wrong, though...
    Show
    Imagining getting it on atop a mountain of coins still technically counts as thinking about you.
    Humans are weird.

I'm Bad, and that's good. I will never be Good, and that's not bad. There is no one I'd rather be then me. ~Bad Guy Affirmation
    Now a Vestige!

21. - Top - End - #651
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rijan_Sai View Post
    I know this conversation has gone in a different direction (Arcane Trickster and such), but this original post is flat out wrong...at least according to my copy of PGtF. It specifically says:

*checks Magic of Faerun*
    This version notable does not include that line...I don't know which one is the update, but I think, if I'm reading the copyrights correctly, that PG is the later (and thus more "correct" one). Please fix my error if I am wrong, though...
    It's PGtF that has all the metamagic goodies everyone likes Incantatrix for.

22. - Top - End - #652

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
    It's PGtF that has all the metamagic goodies everyone likes Incantatrix for.
    Thank you! Then my point stands!
    Show
    Humans are weird.

Now a Vestige!

23. - Top - End - #653
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If a template or race entry doesn't have a Level Adjustment entry at all, what is one supposed to make of it?

Is it a dysfunction when it appears, an indication of unupdated 3.0 content, or is there some rules text one falls back to that explains it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Is it a dysfunction when it appears, an indication of unupdated 3.0 content, or is there some rules text one falls back to that explains it?
    It's almost always un-updated 3.0 content, because it wasn't standard to include ECL/LA information for most of 3.0's run (and when it was included, it was often poorly done; extra credit to the Epic Level Handbook and Oriental Adventures for their exceptionally silly handlings of ECL). While there are a few templates in 3.5 that lack a Level Adjustment entry, such as Spellstitched, most templates lacking LA entries are from 3.0. Some notable examples include Vampire Lord, Unseelie Fey, and the Dragon Psychoses. The ones from actual books generally were updated to have LA (even if it ended up being LA: -, as in the case of the MMII Half-Golems) in update booklets or errata, but most of the ones from online articles or Dragon Magazine were never updated. Hence you get silly things like Half-Machine creatures not changing the base creature's LA.

As for creatures/races, you can't use them unless they have a Level Adjustment.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-11-24 at 06:17 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

And with unupdated 3.0 content the usual caveat applies. The DM is encouraged to make small adjustments - which might be a positive LA or LA: -.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    If a template or race entry doesn't have a Level Adjustment entry at all, what is one supposed to make of it?
    If there's no entry, you're supposed to know that it's a creature not suitable for use as a PC. From page 6 of Monster Manual:
    Monsters that can be used as player characters have level adjustments and other information to expedite such play, and we’ve reworked all monsters so that they gain feats and skills the same way that player characters do.
    Also from page 7 (and on page 7 of Monster Manual III as well):
    Level Adjustment
    This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs).

27. - Top - End - #657
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    If there's no entry, you're supposed to know that it's a creature not suitable for use as a PC. From page 6 of Monster Manual:

Also from page 7 (and on page 7 of Monster Manual III as well):
    That's true for creatures, but for templates if the template doesn't mention level adjustment then it does not modify the base creatures level adjustment.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-11-24 at 06:17 PM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

28. - Top - End - #658

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm curious. To what does this refer?
    Both the Epic Level Handbook and Oriental Adventures include information on ECL/LA for the monsters presented within them. For some unknown reason, though, said information is entirely separate from the appropriate monster entries.

ELH includes the information in a table at the start of its chapter on monsters, on page 156, rather than in the actual creature descriptions. It also did us the kindness of only giving the ECLs of the sample creatures, rather listing the actual LA. While this works fine for normal monsters, it means that you need to calculate the LA of the templates yourself. For example, the sample Paragon creature from the chapter is a Paragon Mind Flayer, and it's given an ECL of 26. This is the only information given on the Paragon template's LA. To calculate the LA of the Paragon template, then, you need to get out your Monster Manual, find the ECL of a Mind Flayer (15), and subtract it from 26, giving you a LA of +11 for the Paragon template.

Oriental Adventures was similarly helpful in giving information on its creatures' ECL/LA, putting said information on a table in a separate chapter from the monster descriptions. I owned that book for years without realizing (or I forgot at some point) that it even had that information in it.
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-11-24 at 07:59 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

30. - Top - End - #660
    Ettin in the Playground

Improved fiendish servant gives you a wider list of more useful animals to choose from, in addition to making any servant you choose fiendish. This would be better if fiendish servant didn't already give you a fiendish animal.

The favored soul dead level ability faith healing (found here) allows you to heal 1 point (scaling to more) of damage when making a first aid check. There doesn't seem to be anything preventing you from making first aid checks until your target is topped off.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards