New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    The favored soul dead level ability faith healing (found here) allows you to heal 1 point (scaling to more) of damage when making a first aid check. There doesn't seem to be anything preventing you from making first aid checks until your target is topped off.
    Well, it only works when you're performing first aid.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Heal
    First Aid
    You usually use first aid to save a dying character. If a character has negative hit points and is losing hit points (at the rate of 1 per round, 1 per hour, or 1 per day), you can make him or her stable. A stable character regains no hit points but stops losing them.
    So with the dead levels addition, they can gain an extra 1 or more HP at sixth level and beyond when they were bleeding out, instead of just becoming stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #662
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TuggyNE View Post
    Well, it only works when you're performing first aid.

So with the dead levels addition, they can gain an extra 1 or more HP at sixth level and beyond when they were bleeding out, instead of just becoming stable.
    Strictly speaking, a first aid check is usually made to save a dying character. One could argue that because alternate first aid situations are not defined, we would regress to the English definition which includes pretty much any medical aid rendered that isn't in a hospital setting. The idea of a character using first aid to heal some hit points of a character that isn't dying isn't that far-fetched anyway - perhaps he is bandaging a cut or tying a splint to a broken bone. To be honest, the fact that first aid is defined the way it is is probably more dysfunctional than the favored soul thing.

3. - Top - End - #663
    Ettin in the Playground

In defense of the sort of vagueness of first aid's description, since it only has an effect when used on characters who are at negative hp, the authors didn't need to restrict when it was used until the favored soul dead levels came about. The description for first aid tells you what happens when you use it on a dying character; it doesn't say it may only be used on a dying character.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

4. - Top - End - #664
    Titan in the Playground

Something from the simple Q&A thread that I found amusing...

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    The domain powers do not specify that they mean the descriptor. It could just as well just be the dictionary meaning of good and evil.
    Does that mean that one could cast spells of high quality (AKA Good spells) with increased CL if they have the Good Domain?

Yeah, all the Domain powers read the same way, but since the description says "You cast good spells at +1 caster level." it can be read as "good" instead of "Good"

One could argue that spells aren't really evil, they are just tools, and the Evil Domain's power doesn't work. I guess that wouldn't work either, but still...
    Last edited by Sliver; 2013-11-28 at 06:34 AM.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

Nice idea, but we all know you are simply misreading the word good.

It does remind me of the Cleric with the Good domain who says "I get all the Good spells".
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

6. - Top - End - #666
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Something from the simple Q&A thread that I found amusing...

Does that mean that one could cast spells of high quality (AKA Good spells) with increased CL if they have the Good Domain?

Yeah, all the Domain powers read the same way, but since the description says "You cast good spells at +1 caster level." it can be read as "good" instead of "Good"

One could argue that spells aren't really evil, they are just tools, and the Evil Domain's power doesn't work. I guess that wouldn't work either, but still...
    Animate Dead has the Evil descriptor, but I got my DM to agree that it was a neutral spell when cast under the right circumstances. I have a LN halfling necromancer who uses the empty vessels of the recently passed to dig their own graves and bury themselves. It had a nice symmetry.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Titan in the Playground

The kraken can, strangely, use its Jet ability in midair, through ground, up walls, and other such oddities:

Jet (Ex)
    A kraken can jet backward once per round as a full-round action, at a speed of 280 feet. It must move in a straight line, but does not provoke attacks of opportunity while jetting.
    ...as it does not specify a movement mode. Theoretically, that would default to a land speed, but that would also make it useless for the creature as-written. I am forced to assume that the designers intended it to be a swim-only option, but if you put the Flying template on a kraken, it can then swoop around in midair at 280'/rd.

8. - Top - End - #668

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    The kraken can, strangely, use its Jet ability in midair, through ground, up walls, and other such oddities:

...as it does not specify a movement mode. Theoretically, that would default to a land speed, but that would also make it useless for the creature as-written. I am forced to assume that the designers intended it to be a swim-only option, but if you put the Flying template on a kraken, it can then swoop around in midair at 280'/rd.
    ...while covering everything behind it in a layer of black sludge.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

9. - Top - End - #669
    Troll in the Playground

I may have a pathfinder one. Damnation Stride from the advanced race guide. It is a dimension door like spell with a duration of 1 min/level.

What does that even mean?
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-12-03 at 02:28 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

10. - Top - End - #670

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    I may have a pathfinder one. Damnation Stride from the advanced race guide. It is a dimension door like spell with a duration of 1 min/level.

I think that is there because of the mythic part of the spell. (best guess I got)
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post

ah, pf.

It is likely a duration on the fire effect. that area stays burning for 1 min/lvl, a la drifts of the shalm. an alternate explanation is that you un-teleport after that duration is up, but that seems rather unlikely.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

Actually:
    Quote Originally Posted by PFSRD
    The burst of fire created reeks of sulfur and brimstone and also acts like stinking cloud (with the same duration as that spell and a separate Fortitude save).
    The duration can only apply to that effect. Everything else (teleportation, burst) is instantaneous
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-12-03 at 02:46 AM.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Actually:
    The duration can only apply to that effect. Everything else (teleportation, burst) is instantaneous
    The original spell, the one in the advanced races book, only has the DDoor and the fire burst, and it had the duration then too.

Edit: besides, the stinking cloud thing specifically uses stinking clouds duration. 1 round/level.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-12-03 at 03:05 AM.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

14. - Top - End - #674
    Barbarian in the Playground

On tower shields: you can gain cover behind a tower shield of any size. So in effect a colossal dragon could use a pixie's tower shield to gain cover, then disappear along with the tower shield when hiding. Which is an interesting mental image, to say the least.

I'm not sure if there's some specific rule that disallows it, but I couldn't find anything.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Troll in the Playground

Ya know what, I'm going to suggest something crazy. It takes you 1 min/level to teleport...

Except the spell says if functions as dimension door except for the burst, which happens right when you leave, and the stinking cloud thing has it's own duration. Leaving us with no possible mechanical effect for the duration, except you and the creatures in the burst show up as having an active conjuration spell effect.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-12-03 at 03:27 AM.

Current avatar by me

16. - Top - End - #676
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I just found this out.

Originally posted by SRD
    Shield Bash Attacks: You can bash an opponent with a shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a shield as a one-handed weapon. If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its AC bonus until your next action (usually until the next round). An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.
    So, if I'm reading this right, you can take a free action to speak, immediately after attacking, to recover your AC? It seems a bit dysfunctional to make your shield more effective by speaking to it.

EDIT: Is someone still working on the dysfunctional handbook? If so, could some one link me to it?
    Last edited by Legendxp; 2013-12-04 at 01:08 PM.

17. - Top - End - #677

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Legendxp View Post
    I just found this out.

So, if I'm reading this right, you can take a free action to speak, immediately after attacking, to recover your AC? It seems a bit dysfunctional to make your shield more effective by speaking to it.

EDIT: Is someone still working on the dysfunctional handbook? If so, could some one link me to it?
    Handbook is here, although it looks like it hasn't been updated since early November (and the current thread hasn't been added yet, by the looks of it).
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

Tiny creatures in combat dysfunction time go!
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Never understood why tiny creatures can't flank, anyway. It's not like it's any easier to disregard something attacking you from the other side just because it's small, as past experience with petsitting tells me.
    It's because Tiny and smaller creatures don't threaten adjacent squares and can only attack targets they share a square with. Flanking requires you to be on opposite sides of a creature: a Tiny creature on the opposite side of an opponent doesn't threaten, therefore not providing flanking, and a Tiny creature sharing a square with an opponent isn't on the opposite side, therefore not providing flanking, and has to exit the square after making their attack anyway as it's an illegal spot for them to finish their turn.

TL;DR Not only can Tiny creatures not flank, they also can't full-attack, as they have to move into their target's square, make an attack, and move back out. However, this makes them excellent candidates for the Spring Attack feat chain (esp. its PHB-II additions).

To the dysfunction thread!
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2013-12-04 at 01:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Banned

Maybe that spell allows you to dimension-door every round for the duration?

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

I just found this out.

Same with Chaos/Law Devotion. Makes those two feats quite potent actually.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, but that's not a dysfunction.

Quote Originally Posted by srd
    A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.

Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is.

A big creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories smaller than it is.
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

Is there anything there allowing creatures to share the space of the larger creature? Otherwise they can move through, but not actually end their movement within the creature's space.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Is there anything there allowing creatures to share the space of the larger creature? Otherwise they can move through, but not actually end their movement within the creature's space.
    which means that without spring attack, tiny creatures can't attack in melee at all?

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    which means that without spring attack, tiny creatures can't attack in melee at all?
    Seems pretty dysfunctional to me, yeah.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

25. - Top - End - #685
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square.
    That single word implies that they can move into the opponent's square — without having to move out. Underfoot Combat (Races of the Wild, page 152) expands this rule to work with an attacker of up to Small size against an opponent 2+ sizes larger. Confound the Big Folk (Races of the Wild, page 153) requires Underfoot Combat and (to use its various tactical options) staying in the opponent's space for multiple rounds. If all of this is supposed to hang together, then Tiny and smaller creatures are already allowed to make melee attacks without needing Spring Attack.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

Per your quote:

A Fine, Diminutive, or Tiny creature can move into or through an occupied square. The creature provokes attacks of opportunity when doing so.
    Okay, so you can move into or through the square, taking an AoO and using your move action.

Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is.
    Through, not into, an important distinction: this means you have to move out of the square at the end of your turn. Which means without Spring Attack or similar (Fly-By Attack, for instance), a Tiny creature cannot attack in melee as they have to use their move action to move into their opponent's square, then use their standard action to move out of their opponent's square before the end of their turn.

This quote covers ending your move intentionally in another creature's space (you can't):
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Ending Your Movement
    You can't end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
    And this quote covers being halted in an illegal space:
    Accidentally Ending Movement in an Illegal Space
    Sometimes a character ends its movement while moving through a space where it’s not allowed to stop. When that happens, put your miniature in the last legal position you occupied, or the closest legal position, if there’s a legal position that’s closer.
    There is no rules support for a Tiny or smaller creature being able to complete its movement in a non-helpless opponent's space, but they are required to do so in order to attack an opponent.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Colossus in the Playground

I just found this out.

This is an artifact left over from 3.0 days, when "an action" referred to either when you acted in the round, or your standard action (as listed in spell casting times). This was changed in 3.5 to "your turn" and "standard action" but a few things still kept the old wording because WotC has goats for editors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ettin in the Playground

There is no rules support for a Tiny or smaller creature being able to complete its movement in a non-helpless opponent's space, but they are required to do so in order to attack an opponent.
    You just quoted the text that supports them, as did I.
    Quote Originally Posted by srd
    The second piece of quoted text is one I posted because I though you might be thinking about it, and to show how tiny creatures are different than non-tiny creatures.

While the srd says that you cannot end your movement in an occupied square, the above quoted text comes after it in the article. It's a very clear instance of specific trumps general. As Curmudgeon said, it's quite clear. Tiny and smaller creatures can end movement in another creature's square, and the existence of the aforementioned feats relying on this rule strengthens the argument.
    Awards

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

You just quoted the text that supports them, as did I.

The second piece of quoted text is one I posted because I though you might be thinking about it, and to show how tiny creatures are different than non-tiny creatures.

While the srd says that you cannot end your movement in an occupied square, the above quoted text comes after it in the article. It's a very clear instance of specific trumps general. As Curmudgeon said, it's quite clear. Tiny and smaller creatures can end movement in another creature's square, and the existence of the aforementioned feats relying on this rule strengthens the argument.
    Actually, this bit comes after:
    Ending Your Movement
    You can't end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.
    ...and it makes no differentiation between a Tiny- creature and a Small+ creature. Unless your target is helpless, you cannot end your movement in an opponent's square.

Yes, the RAI is that a Tiny- creature can enter an opponent's square to attack, but RAW there are no provisions that allow a Tiny- creature to end their movement in a larger creature's square, just provisions that allow them to move through during their movement--which means that, without an ability that allows them to attack during their movement (such as Spring Attack), a Tiny- creature can't attack a non-helpless opponent in melee, as they're required to end their movement in an opponent's square to do so.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2013-12-04 at 04:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

The best part is that an explicit exception is given in the description of Swarms. So Tiny and smaller individual creatures can't end movement in an opponents square, including other Tiny and smaller creatures, but if they all group together they are just fine.

I would say RAI is very clear on this one, but A)that's not what this thread is about and B) With things like feats that require it, it wouldn't be the first, nor the last, time that the writers didn't understand the rules while making up new ones.