New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 51 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1505
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Which one is that?
    Dungeonscape or Cityscape, depending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Ogre in the Playground

It's Cold Outside = Frostburn
    It's Hot Outside = Sandstorm
    It's Wet Outside = Stormwrack
    It's Not Outside = Dungeonscape
    It's Crowded Outside = Cityscape

Or at least that's how I've always heard it. "It's X Outside" is the best collective descriptor for the environmental books that I've read; It fits better than the "*scape" descriptor, at least.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Ettin in the Playground

Hah Hah, good one.

If they used the -scape suffix for all of them it might have worked better:
    Snowscape
    Desertscape
    Oceanscape
    and don't forget Planescape

4. - Top - End - #1204

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

It's Outsiders Outside.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    It's Outsiders Outside.
    That's not very descriptive. That could be Planar Handbook/Manual of the Plane, Fiendish Codex 1 or 2 or even Expedition to the Demonweb Pits. And that are only those that immediately spring to my mind.

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lightlawbliss View Post
    that would be cityscape
    Or Drow of the Underdark ?
    Or Dungeon Survival Guide ?
    Or Races of Stone ?
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Ettin in the Playground

If a Spider Eater bites you, your life sucks. Not because of the paralysis for 1d8+5 weeks, but because "Female spider eaters lay their eggs inside paralyzed creatures of Large or larger size. The young emerge about six weeks later, literally devouring the host from inside."

You'll note that there is no text stating how to remove these eggs once the implantation takes place, something they did with the Xill, for example. So if implantation takes place, await death in six weeks and hope someone can resurrect you.

EDIT: Second, minor thing: Eurynome gives poison blood that damages a foe who bites you or swallows you whole, but not one that uses blood drain.
    Last edited by The Viscount; 2014-01-30 at 04:40 PM.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    If a Spider Eater bites you, your life sucks. Not because of the paralysis for 1d8+5 weeks, but because "Female spider eaters lay their eggs inside paralyzed creatures of Large or larger size. The young emerge about six weeks later, literally devouring the host from inside."

You'll note that there is no text stating how to remove these eggs once the implantation takes place, something they did with the Xill, for example. So if implantation takes place, await death in six weeks and hope someone can resurrect you.

EDIT: Second, minor thing: Eurynome gives poison blood that damages a foe who bites you or swallows you whole, but not one that uses blood drain.
    Of course, it doesn't actually say that it kills you, either.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Of course, it doesn't actually say that it kills you, either.
    Being devoured from the inside sounds pretty fatal.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-01-30 at 06:57 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Being devoured from the inside sounds pretty fatal.
    By RAW, death isn't a big deal anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    Being (completely) devoured means there is no tissue left for Raise Dead/Resurrection. Needing True Resurrection is a big deal. But most likely the spider eater babies only consume some of the host's body.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2014-01-30 at 07:04 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    It's a bigger deal than you'd think; since your HP (-10) is exceeded by the amount of nonlethal damage you have (0), you are unconscious and helpless.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, being dead really screws with your action economy.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Warped Druid Handbook

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Ogre in the Playground

I've got to say that Corpse is probably one of the better Commoner Flaws. If you have that flaw (and thus are Dead), are you still at -10HP? Because if you aren't, that gives you immunity to a whole lot of spells.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    I've got to say that Corpse is probably one of the better Commoner Flaws. If you have that flaw (and thus are Dead), are you still at -10HP? Because if you aren't, that gives you immunity to a whole lot of spells.
    Don't forget it gives you two feats. One for being a flaw, one from the Effect section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Stirge View Post
    Don't you see it? The inert Shrieker may have more raw power, but the rock has something the Shrieker will never have. VERSATILITY.

Also, the rock will probably be lighter than the Shrieker, allowing it to be used as a improvised thrown weapon should the need arise.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini476 View Post
    Having the Dead condition automatically puts you at -10 HP for anything that cares about how much HP you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Having the Dead condition automatically puts you at -10 HP for anything that cares about how much HP you have.
    where do you see this?

and potential dysfunction: wet outside 96

Reverse: Only oared vessels can travel in reverse. A vessel
    cannot go backwards unless its speed was zero in the preceding
    round,
    and a vessel moving in reverse must first come
    to a dead stop for 1 round before moving forward again.
    emphasis mine.

A ship that is going backwards must stop before it can go backwards.
    Last edited by Lightlawbliss; 2014-01-30 at 11:33 PM.
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Titan in the Playground

where do you see this?
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD Special Abilities: Death Effects
    In case it matters, a dead character, no matter how she died, has -10 hit points.

emphasis mine.

Wow. That's pretty fail all right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Troll in the Playground

emphasis mine.

Maybe it isn't a dysfunction and DnD rowers and just REALLY lazy?

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Titan in the Playground

Having done lots of rowing I understand what they are trying to say, it's a shame they didn't say that though.
    π = 4

Warped Druid Handbook

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nedz View Post
    Having done lots of rowing I understand what they are trying to say, it's a shame they didn't say that though.
    It's a really simple fix too; "In order to reverse direction, a vessel must have had a speed of 0 the previous round." So close, and yet so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, the net effect is that a vessel can move backwards at half of its normal speed. As described it's a very choppy motion, but on average, it makes sense.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

24. - Top - End - #1224

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    Eh, the net effect is that a vessel can move backwards at half of its normal speed. As described it's a very choppy motion, but on average, it makes sense.
    not to be rude, but the speed of oar movement while going backwards is 5 ft unless you have "good" maneuverability, in which case it is ten.
    I reserve the right to be wrong and will use that right whenever it happens

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

Disguise Self can't mask your Type (or make you appear more than a foot taller or shorter) but can do pretty much anything else.

Lizardfolk (who have almost completely different anatomy) are humanoids so they can pretend to be human with the spell/hat, but Aasimar (who can be humans with weird colors) aren't and can't use it that way, but can use it to pretend to be... a hellhound (a quadruped) if they are 5'6 or under (and that's likely not even the silliest outsider to pick).

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Disguise Self can't mask your Type
    I don't think the term "body type"=Type. I think that just means you can't go from say, ogre to protean because they have drastically different body layouts. Similarly, Minotaur to centaur isn't good, though horse to centaur is.

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Ettin in the Playground

Should have double checked this was that way in 3.5, it really shouldn't be a surprise any longer how... weird the changes Pathfinder made can get

You cannot change your creature type (although you can appear as another subtype). Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you
    You cannot change your body type. Otherwise, the extent of the apparent change is up to you.
    Why did they change this? (of course, again, that is a question that applies to a most changes in PF)

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Ettin in the Playground

This reminds me of another dysfunction. Not sure if it has been mentioned before. Aasimar, Tieflings, Elans and all the other non-humanoids with a humanoid shape cannot wear normal armor, they have to buy armor for unusual creatures, whereas draconic humans with dragon wings or humanoids with grafts that give additional limbs can use the normal armor.

29. - Top - End - #1229

This reminds me of another dysfunction. Not sure if it has been mentioned before. Aasimar, Tieflings, Elans and all the other non-humanoids with a humanoid shape cannot wear normal armor, they have to buy armor for unusual creatures, whereas draconic humans with dragon wings or humanoids with grafts that give additional limbs can use the normal armor.
    It seems to me that the authors likely intended for "humanoid" to refer to body shape rather than creature type but wrote it wrong. It seems to me that this would have been less likely to happen if they hadn't used the term "humanoid" for the creature type. For one thing, it's very speciesist.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

I thought I had brought it up before, except using the context of zombies (when your reanimated, apparently your old armor stops fitting you, since your now undead).