New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dysfunctional Rules IV- It's like a sandwich made of RAW failure!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhoenix0 View Post
    This is the rules text on trial here. To me the words voluntary and willingly imply that a creature must have intelligence to use them. It doesn't seem to imply anything about mindless creatures spontaneously having the mind to forego a saving throw or special resistance.
    It could arise if an Ooze commanded by Oozepuppet was forced to lower its immunity. While it says it performs to the best of its ability, I can't find anything suggesting that mindless creatures are incapable of lowering said immunity (likewise, I can't find any text actually saying that immunity to mind affecting can be lowered at all, but this is assuming it is.) so much as the interpretation as they lack the decision making power to make said choice at all. In other words, it should be possible to force a mindless creature to lower this immunity, if it is in fact an immunity that can be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

2. - Top - End - #212
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    It could arise if an Ooze commanded by Oozepuppet was forced to lower its immunity. While it says it performs to the best of its ability, I can't find anything suggesting that mindless creatures are incapable of lowering said immunity (likewise, I can't find any text actually saying that immunity to mind affecting can be lowered at all, but this is assuming it is.) so much as the interpretation as they lack the decision making power to make said choice at all. In other words, it should be possible to force a mindless creature to lower this immunity, if it is in fact an immunity that can be lowered.
    Yes, as long as the method you are using to force it to drop the immunity can actually affect, like I suppose this oozepuppet could for oozes. This doesn't seem dysfunctional at all, since someone intelligent is making the choice for them.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

One final rehash of the old Monk Proficiency debate, taken from this article:

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Williams
    Unarmed Strikes and Natural Weaponry

Before we move on, it's worth pointing out that a character making an unarmed attack, even with the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, does not have natural weapons. Nor is a natural weapon a substitute for the Improved Unarmed Strike feat.
    As such, they are de facto Simple weapons due to their listing in the PHB. Monks truly are not proficient with their unarmed strikes. Every sample Monk character that uses Unarmed Strikes in ANY WotC-published book is incorrect, as they do not apply the -4 penalty to Unarmed Strikes.

Edit: Even more dysfunction, that quote means you cannot combine Unarmed Strikes and Natural Weapons because your natural weapons don't exist while you are using an Unarmed Strike attack. Way to murder the Monk, Skip.
    Last edited by Big Fau; 2013-10-17 at 07:30 AM.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

The "Rules of the Game" articles are not RAW. They are a collection of musings and houserules by Skip Williams that only occasionally are marked as such.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2013-10-17 at 07:41 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    The "Rules of the Game" articles are not RAW. They are a collection of musings and houserules by Skip Williams that only occasionally are marked as such.
    Got proof? I can understand disagreing with those articles on certain subjects, but it is a WotC-published/approved article that provides clarification on the rules of the game.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Banned

Also, it's disingenuous to interpret the rule that way. Unarmed strikes are not ANY kind of weapon, though they count as Simple weapons to have a place on the table (3.0 had them in their own spot - unarmed strike) to list damage, but the Combat rules make it clear they are not an actual weapon: They are a "Special Attack", like Bull Rush, Trip, Grapple, Disarm, and Overrun. The RAWtard ruling would be "You take the nonproficiency penalty if you attack with an Unarmed Strike, but not if you use your attack to make an unarmed strike"

That Rules of the Game article doesn't mean a character making an unarmed strike lacks all Natural Weapons it would otherwise have - it's merely clarifying that Natural Weapons are not considered natural weapons, and having an Unarmed Strike doesn't give you a natural weapon. Magic Fang treats Unarmed Strikes as a natural weapon, but that's an exception to the rule. It does imply that natural weapons replace the ability to make unarmed strikes, though.
    Last edited by Scow2; 2013-10-17 at 07:59 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fau View Post
    Got proof? I can understand disagreing with those articles on certain subjects, but it is a WotC-published/approved article that provides clarification on the rules of the game.
    They are WotC-published articles but they are neither rule books nor errata. As such they cannot change rules or introduce new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    That Rules of the Game article doesn't mean a character making an unarmed strike lacks all Natural Weapons it would otherwise have - it's merely clarifying that Natural Weapons are not considered natural weapons, and having an Unarmed Strike doesn't give you a natural weapon. Magic Fang treats Unarmed Strikes as a natural weapon, but that's an exception to the rule. It does imply that natural weapons replace the ability to make unarmed strikes, though.
    Magic Fang has no additional rules for Unarmed Strikes. If an unarmed strike weren't a natural weapon, this spell would not affect it.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

I would argue that "mindless" isn't an ability, per se, but rather just a description of the consequences of not having an Int score, in the same way that immunity to most Fort-save effects is a consequence of not having a Con score. So neither can be suppressed unless you can gain the appropriate score.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

First, I'm on the side that the Rules of the games articles are not RAW. Even if they were they have to defer to primary sources, because they make no claim otherwise.

There are some spell descriptions that name unarmed strike as a natural weapon. Other locations in the PHB describe unarmed strikes as making an attack without a weapon. The only places that define what type of weapon an unarmed strike is in the PHB is the spell descriptions. one such spell description is Align Weapon.

I have no idea what being a natural weapon would do for proficiency, because I have never found a general rule for natural weapons. Only that monsters are proficient with weapons listed in their monster entries, and almost every source of natural weapons outside of monster entries seems say you are proficient with them. Unless their is a general rule, I'd have to say monks aren't proficient with them anyway.

Please point out to me a general rule on natural weapons if I have missed it.

Extended signature (Includes Giantitp regulars as... links, avatar showcase, homebrew, and other stuff.)
    Current avatar by me

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

...you cannot dominate a chair...
    Tell that to the loveseat I have tied up and gagged in my basement.
    I have a bad habit of writing O-Chul as O'Chul, like he's some kind of blue-bearded Scots-Irish crusader. I habitually pronounce "Mystic Theurge" as "Mystic The Urge".

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

On the bright side, the willingly lowering immunity clause resolves the dysfunctionalily with Sympathy/Antipathy mentioning Vampires as a valid target.

Sure, it will only affect vampires that choose specifically to let it affect them, but it IS valid!

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

Charm Person, if cast on someone who is either already Helpful or Fanatic, will actually cause the target to like you less as the target is treated as Friendly, no qualifiers.
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Charm Person, if cast on someone who is either already Helpful or Fanatic, will actually cause the target to like you less as the target is treated as Friendly, no qualifiers.
    If the target is already helpful or fanatic, why would you waste a spell slot on casting the spell? It's an idiot tax for the caster, if you ask me, and not a dysfunction.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-10-18 at 09:03 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    If the target is already helpful or fanatic, why would you waste a spell slot on casting the spell? It's an idiot tax for the caster, if you ask me, and not a dysfunction.
    Maybe the local religious leaders are concerned about a rapidly growing cult and the Wizard doesn't want their followers to be quite so enthusiastic for a day. I don't know. The point is that there are circumstances where the spell functions presumably not as intended, like how Darkness can actually raise the level of illumination under certain circumstances. It's a much less likely circumstance sure, but it still seems like a dysfunction that the spell cast to make people like you can actually make them like you less.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

The fanatic stalker that you didn't know existed until now just became friendly. They lose fanatical interest in you for the duration of the spell. They also lose track of you as you run far away before the spell wears off.

Maybe it can be used as a feature?

seriously, I intended that to be funnier, but it took a turn towards the useful at the end.

Edit: Could be useful for sorcerers and their raving fan-girls or flirtatious fan-boys.
    Last edited by NeoPhoenix0; 2013-10-18 at 10:40 PM.

Current avatar by me

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

It could also be useful for stacking.

Take a Bard. Say he had used his music to fascinate and then hold someone under a suggestion. Stacking a Charm would make them still friendly after they have completed the suggested task.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

17. - Top - End - #227
    Banned

It would seem that Drowning, Darkness, and Charm spells all have "Set to" instead of "raise/lower to" issues.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scow2 View Post
    It would seem that Drowning, Darkness, and Charm spells all have "Set to" instead of "raise/lower to" issues.
    Charm is "treated as" actually, explaining what happens after the duration (no longer being treated as Friendly).

19. - Top - End - #229
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

This is my new favorite Dysfunction as I think of the unusual beneficial uses it may have.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

If you're a spellcaster, you automatically know when you're threatened by someone with the Mage Slayer feat, even if they're invisible.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    If you're a spellcaster, you automatically know when you're threatened by someone with the Mage Slayer feat, even if they're invisible.
    "Fellow adventurers, I feel a sudden sensation of dread and inability to cast spells unthreatened. Perchance there be some ambush sprung?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ettin in the Playground

Rage Mage, like Bladesinger, can quicken a spell without adjusting the spells level or casting time.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Viscount View Post
    Rage Mage, like Bladesinger, can quicken a spell without adjusting the spells level or casting time.
    Where is the dysfunction? It is a class feature.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Let's go over this again.
    Rage Mage [...] can quicken a spell without adjusting the spells [...] casting time.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

You quicken the spell, but per the class ability you do so without adjusting the casting time. So, no effect.

EDIT: Swordsage'd
    Last edited by Karnith; 2013-10-22 at 12:00 PM.
    Tier System for Classes | Why Each Class Is In Its Tier

On the use of the tier system:
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    "What's this? A TV Guide? How dare you tell me what movies I should watch! Fitness guide? Burn it, I can take care of my health by myself, thank you very much!"

26. - Top - End - #236
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

That's wonderful. I wonder if there's any possible beneficial interaction with Arcane Spellsurge.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Karnith View Post
    You quicken the spell, but per the class ability you do so without adjusting the casting time. So, no effect.
    Actually it's a little stranger than that:

Quote Originally Posted by Rage Mage
    ... a rage mage can quicken one spell of 4th level or lower (as if she had used the Quicken Spell feat), but without adjusting the spell's level or casting time. She may use this ability once during each rage.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
    Casting a quickened spell is an swift action.
    So it's a Swift Action which takes a Std Action.
    So some unhelpful Time Dilation too.
    Also it consumes your Swift action for the round.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

It's not hard to figure out what they meant, but boy howdy, did they ever not say it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

Indeed. That one's simple enough to fix. On the subject of something not so simple, what happens when an Ur-Priest casts miracle? It's supposed to be a petition to your deity for aid, but that doesn't really work here.
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a problem of fluff, not RAW. And you might as well ask what happens when a Cleric of an ideal, or an Archivist, or even a Wyrm Wizard casts Miracle.