New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Multishot and Sneak Attack

So Haley doesn't know if Sabine is a devil or a demon so she used one adamantine arrow and one cold iron arrow against her in a sneak attack/ multishot. Total damage regardless, who gets to choose which arrow gets the sneak attack damage. If the one Sabine has no damage reaction is selected she may be forced into certain complications like a harder concentration check if using a spell like ability at the time or even a massive damage fortitude save (yeah right...). If the other arrow gets the dice less individual damage pushes through individually but the same amount of damage pushes through total.

So incases where the player is unaware of the individual effects of the arrows, who gets to choose which hits the sneak attack mark? DM? Random? Ignoract PC?
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Multishot and Sneak Attack

It is possible Haley has taken greater manyshot
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, considering what the party knows of Sabrine so far (and definatly considering what we know) it's not to unreasonable to assume the Sabrine is a Succubus and determine her DR from that.

Besides, DR just subracts a static amount from an attack, a sneak attack will still do a hell of a lot of damage.

But yes, in order to gain multiple sneak attacks with manysht you'll need greater manyshot, which i belive is in the XPH.

If you don't have greater manyshot I'd rule that as a player, you are responsible for determining what the "main" attack of the manyshot is, that is which one deals damage first and gets sneak attack damage.
    Last edited by TheOOB; 2007-01-02 at 10:52 PM.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

She might just be using rapid shot, or an iterative attack.
    Catharsis

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

The Player Character would likely decide, but there appears to be no clear ruling. I would assume it would be the First Arrow, which is also the one that benefits from a Critical Hit.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

You roll damage for the arrows one at a time, don't you? So just rule that the one you roll for first always gets the sneak attack. Let the player pick which one is rolled for first; it's a 50% chance to "get it right," which looks reasonable. (Or 1-in-3 chance with 3 arrows, etc.)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Remember Haley doesn't know which arrow is the correct one at damaging Sabine dr. We may know it (or guess it) but Haley doesn't, her player may know it but him picking it when the character doesn't is metagaming.

Thus its a coin flip if the pc picks, or its up to the DM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

You could require a Knowledge (The Planes) check to determine if your opponent is a devil or a demon. That'd solve the problem rather handily.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fax_Celestis View Post
    You could require a Knowledge (The Planes) check to determine if your opponent is a devil or a demon. That'd solve the problem rather handily.
    But Haley failed that knowledge check

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0062.html

I love the classics

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

At my table I'd rule that precision damage (like Sneak Attack) applies to the entire attack in general, not one individual arrow, thus rendering the question moot.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Clark says it all.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by clarkvalentine View Post
    At my table I'd rule that precision damage (like Sneak Attack) applies to the entire attack in general, not one individual arrow, thus rendering the question moot.
    That doesn't make sense. The question here is whether the sneak attack damage ignores the DR or not, when using one arrow that would ignore the DR and one that wouldn't.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    That doesn't make sense. The question here is whether the sneak attack damage ignores the DR or not, when using one arrow that would ignore the DR and one that wouldn't.
    Sorry, I'll be more specific. I'd rule that because one of the arrows penetrates DR, that would carry the precision damage through the DR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by clarkvalentine View Post
    Sorry, I'll be more specific. I'd rule that because one of the arrows penetrates DR, that would carry the precision damage through the DR.
    Makes sense.