New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Question about template Monsters

some monster templates state that they do not gain any special attacks of the base creature. Does this include a monk's stunning fist attacks? If so, does this also mean you lose anything that uses a stunning fist attempt, I.e. Fiery Fist, iron fists, etc.? What about Flurry?
    Spoiler
    Show

“I’m sorry, I’ll try to bleed to death more coherently” – Typha-knee (Exiern)

“After all, Nothing annoys the DM more than a moving target.”

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Question about template Monsters

Human's don't get stunning fist - Monk's do, therefore it's not a special attack of the base creature, it's a special attack of the creatures class levels. Flurry is also not a Human ability, but a class one.
    "They say we wizards are subtle. But believe you me, we've got nothing, nothing at all on women" - Harry Dresden, Storm Front
    A thousand and one blessings on the house of Ishukira for the Illuminated One avatar.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Spoiler
    Show

“I’m sorry, I’ll try to bleed to death more coherently” – Typha-knee (Exiern)

“After all, Nothing annoys the DM more than a moving target.”

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

What template says this? The only ones in the MM I can think of right away are skeleton and zombie, and a monk turned into a skeleton or zombie certainly would lose all class abilities, just like any other character.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

In the case of a skeleton and zombie, they lose all class levels/hitdice from class levels. I quote, "Drop any Hit Dice gained from class levels..."

And the base creature technically has no special attacks in the first place if you're talking about a human monk. Humans as far as I know have no special attacks, it's the class that gets the special attacks?