New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Tana'ri Bane and it's effects on the caster.

Alrighty, I play a planetouched character in our 2ed campaign, who wants to get revenge on his father (Glabrezu, thus Tana'ri Bane). I was wondering if casting the spell would have any ill effects on himself, being part Tana'ri.

Another question I have: Would breathe lava/magma only let me breathe the stuff, or would I be able to submerge myself in it like water? (Probably a stupid question, but the description doesn't specify)

Thanks

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Tana'ri Bane and it's effects on the caster.

Question: Wouldn't having a Glabrezu father make you a half-fiend, rather than a Tiefling?
    I always thought that Planetouched status was reserved for people 4-5 generations down from the original fiend.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3

He's more a daemonfey than a Tiefling, and as I recall (At least, this is what the Planewalker's Handbook says), it can be a direct relation or a distant relative to constatute a planetouched character.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Closed Account

If he doesn't have the Tanar'ri subtype, he isn't affected by the weapon. Although I think bane special quality doesn't have such drawbacks.

If you're immune to fire damage and drowning, you can swim in lava, although I would house-rule you would suffer a severe penalty to Swim checks because lava is a very viscous substance compared to water.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Aren't there already penalties for swimming in magma? Anyway, you can submerge yourself in it if you're immune to fire damage; it's a liquid, just like water.

You'd need a Freedom of Movement spell to swim well, most likely.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6

You can submerge yourself in it if you have any resistance whatsoever to fire damage, no matter how much resistance you have. Even one point of resistance to fire lets you take no damage from lava.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Tieflings aren't technically tanar'ri, as far as I know. A cambion or an alu-fiend is tanar'ri, but those are conceived/birthed by incubi/succubi.

And daemonfey (presuming you mean House Dlardrageth in Faerūn) are tieflings, too, they just happen to have wings; the actual leaders are half-demons (elf cambions and alu-fiends, basically), born of a mortal elf and a demon. The actual fey'ri are descended of half-demons, elves, and other fey'ri.

8. - Top - End - #8

Ah, alright, thanks for clearing that up.

I haven't really checked, but is there something in 2ed that would let me make a spell (Say... 'No Breath') permanent?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton View Post
    You can submerge yourself in it if you have any resistance whatsoever to fire damage, no matter how much resistance you have. Even one point of resistance to fire lets you take no damage from lava.
    Can you give a rule reference to that? -Cause it would acctually help my group out next session.

-A thing to note; if you are resistant/immune to fire damage, are your equipment also? -else i see little point in a nude late night swim in the magma pool ;)
    When did you last walk into a clean dungeon, and felt safe?!