New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Question Best weapon ever!?

Out of all the ridiculous number of weapons out there which is your favorite and why? If you feel so inclined list your favorites by type.
    as for me I really like the full blade from the arms and equipment guide it reminds me of the over sized final fantasy swords. ranged weapons I kind of like the harpoon which I discovered recently I love than it hurts going in and out and can be used to control the opposition. One handed would have to be either bastard sword or dire pick (with appropriate feats).

so my list is
    1h Dire pick or bastard sword
    2h Full blade
    Ranged Harpoon
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for
    anything, but you still can't help but smile when
    you see one tumble down the stairs.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Best weapon ever!?

Spiked Chain. The only weapon that's WORTH an exotic proficiency feat. Tripping, Reach, no AoOp penalties, disarming and the ability to be made of adamantine. Spiked Chain please.

Are Fullblades even available in 3.5?
    Member of a fanclub.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Skyserpent View Post
    Spiked Chain. The only weapon that's WORTH an exotic proficiency feat. Tripping, Reach, no AoOp penalties, disarming and the ability to be made of adamantine. Spiked Chain please.

Are Fullblades even available in 3.5?
    The book was 3.0 but they can be retrofitted pretty easily they aren't that much more powerful than a great sword kind of like a up sized 2 handed bastard sword.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dwarven Warpike (from Races of Stone), also a weapon that is WORTH an exotic proficiency feat.

Tripping, reach, set against charge, 2d6/x3 slahing or piercing.

Better (exept at 5 feet) than the Spiked Chain and a less ridiculous weapon.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I personally like punching daggers and claw-class weaponry. That x3 critical on a simple weapon is certainly very nice.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Amiria, Countess of Mispelling View Post
    Dwarven Warpike (from Races of Stone), also a weapon that is WORTH an exotic proficiency feat.

Tripping, reach, set against charge, 2d6/x3 slahing or piercing.

Better (exept at 5 feet) than the Spiked Chain and a less ridiculous weapon.
    Yes, Spiked Chains are ridiculous but so is MAGIC... Nonetheless yeah, Dwarven Warpike. Bad. Ass.
    Member of a fanclub.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Gnome Quick Razor (Races of Stone) for me. No, no particular reason, I just like the idea of the weapon.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

The Warmace - its big, its heavy. Oh my, its not really good, but imagine getting hit by it. Hit an orc across the head and.... well, where's its head gone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeril View Post
    Congratulations! You leveled up in awesome!
    [Avatar by Ink] [Sig Doll by Kyace]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Fullbaldes aren't available in my games as such. If a player wants to use a fullblade, they can Monkey Grip a Large Greatsword; it's the same thing. And I will laugh and laugh at them.

Spiked Chains, Dwarven Warpikes, and Goliath Greathammers are all kinda uber, but they require Exotic Weapon Prof., so it makes sense. For more fairness, the best simple and martial weapons are:

Simple melee:
    Morningstar: a versatile weapon that does good damage for a low, low price and no feat cost. Good for basher Clerics and backup for spellcasters.
    Dagger: a humble weapon, but it's your best friend in a grapple or the throat of something with Swallow Whole. Plus, if you need a ranged weapon in a hurry, you can chuck it at someone.
    Longspear: the only simple Reach weapon, it's great for low-level casters that want to keep the melee bashers at a distance. Or at least poke them when they close to attack range.

Simple ranged: Slings are the only projectile weapons you can use one-handed. Not great, but it can be useful. Basically anything is better than crossbows, most of the time.

Martial Melee: the good stuff.
    Longswords are a classic, but pretty much even with the slightly cheaper Battleaxe and Warhammer. One-handed, I'd go with a Rapier for crit range and finessability.
    Halberds and Scythes are good for multiple damage types and tripping. Scythes have a better crit range and slightly worse damage, but I honestly feel silly swinging a scythe around on the battlefield.
    If you want to trip someone at range without spending a feat on EWP, a Guisarme is probably the way to do it.

Martial Ranged: Composite Longbows are, by a wide margin, your best bet for ranged weapon damage in the game.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

10. - Top - End - #10

Dagger. I'm a stabbin' fiend! They're also the most well-rounded weapons in the game, save for their damage output (sigh).

Oversized great swords are excellent for damage-dealing, and rather impressive, scary weapons. They're also the most fun if you're an artificer with a lot of spare time and craft points left. Imagine being followed around by a couple intelligent, floating colossal greatswords. Oh man, that's the stuff.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Full blades require an exotic weapon feat to use and actually do less damage than a large size great sword.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

Elven Courtblade(finessed) High Dex tastiness.
    Bolas: Ranged trip, yes please.
    Spear: Well rounded and eveyone can use them pretty much
    Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Fanfiction R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn! Wgah'nagl fhtagn!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

rapier. definatly rapier. *poke, poke, poke the enemy full of holes!!*

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

An allied wizard standing ten feet behind you.

What?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pestilenceawaits View Post
    Full blades require an exotic weapon feat to use and actually do less damage than a large size great sword.
    0.5 average damage or +2 to hit? I'll take +2 to hit, thanks.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    0.5 average damage or +2 to hit? I'll take +2 to hit, thanks.
    That was my point though poorly made. monkey gripping a great sword seems less effective to me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pestilenceawaits View Post
    That was my point though poorly made. monkey gripping a great sword seems less effective to me.
    Monkey Grip is Power Attack's 'special' little brother who hangs around all the big kids like Shock Trooper and Leap Attack, bringing along his drooling friend Weapon Focus.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Elven courtblade. Weapon Finesse, Power Attack, a max-Dex Champion of Corellon Larethian build... I like it.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

My personal favorite is the Bastard Sword, so much so that every single character concept I ever come up with somehow involves the Bastard Sword.

It's probably not worth the EWP feat just to do +1 more damage than a longsword, but I can't explain how much I prefer rolling 1d10 for damage rather than 1d8 or 2d6.

I'm still wetting my pants over the Oversize TWF feat in Complete Adventurer. I spent literally *days* trying to figure out how to eliminate the size penalty for TWF + Bastard Sword. Yeah, I know it's not optimal at all, but it makes me happy.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

d10s are prettier than d8s. More aesthetically pleasing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

I'm going to have to take the might greatsword for this one folk. If I want straight damage to hit ratio a power attacking greatsword wielder is hard to beat.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

I do like the Kukri, although I have to admit I never played with one.
    This because I just read more about the weapon and I never payed attention to it before.
    But, the day after tomorrow, my campaign continues so who knows....

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Monkey Grip is Power Attack's 'special' little brother who hangs around all the big kids like Shock Trooper and Leap Attack, bringing along his drooling friend Weapon Focus.
    Thankyou for my new sig :)
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Scorpion whip from Sandstorm that does 1d43.

Favorite weapon that doesn't involve typos? Scythe. I just love that x4 critical, even if it is (statistically) a bad weapon.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post

Favorite weapon that doesn't involve typos? Scythe. I just love that x4 critical, even if it is (statistically) a bad weapon.
    Scythe with the 3.0 Weaponmaster was AMAZING. 9-20/x6 critical? Yes please. Ooh, and I'll whirlwind attack with it and kill everybody.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avicenex View Post

Scythe is statistically one of the best martial weapons. Far superior to greatsword or greataxe after the first few levels.

Anyways, my favourite weapon must be falchion. No doubt about it.
    Maggots in the Meat: IC thread, OOC thread, dierolls

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Greataxe: It's just fun. I like 1d12. Plus, I tend to be a gambler when it comes to damage. I'll take the equal chance for a 12 and a 1, rather than have it gravitate towards the center like with a Greatsword.

Spiked Shields: Sheer versitility. For a fighter TWF build, it is the way to go. This usually is reserved for lower level campaigns though, as the +2 ac and lower damage output hurts it bad later on.

Whip: Bard Trip Build! Bweeeehehehehehehe.Even if it isn't horribly effective, it is a blast to trip someone over and over again, especially if you also disarm them while they are down. It gets even better when you prance away singing "Mock, mock, mock, the ineffective combatant!"

Grapple: Even though it can be countered by Freedom of Movement, many wizards will chose not to invest in a ring of it or a Cleric Lackey. The, you procede to own them. It also works well against other meleers, because they will not be able to attack you with their large weapons.

Disintigrate: Yes, there are better spells. But this can double as utility as well as blasty stuff. Nothing quite like disintigrating the rock under someone for an instant pit trap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Scythe is statistically one of the best martial weapons. Far superior to greatsword or greataxe after the first few levels.
    Scythe only holds it's ground against Greatswords & Greataxes when you do not take blow-through damage into account. Who cares that you did 80 points of damage to that guy who only has 40 hp? You just wasted 40 points of damage.

That being said, I DO have a softspot for multiplying my two-handed strength modifier by 4 (not to mention power attack bonus).

And you will still gravitate towrds the center with a d12 in the longrun, it will just be a 6.5 dmg center instead of a 7 dmg center.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

29. - Top - End - #29

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I'm not talking about averages though.

A d12 has an equal chance to come up on every number between 1 and 12.

A 2d6 will come up more frequently in the mid range, meaning less rolls of 2, but also less rolls of 12.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

And you will still gravitate towrds the center with a d12 in the longrun, it will just be a 6.5 dmg center instead of a 7 dmg center.
    The average damage is 6.5 but the way the damage is spread out is different. A great axe has a 1 in 12 chance to get a 12, a greatsword, however has only a 1 in 36 chance to do so. The greatsword has a 1 in 6 chance to do 7 damage, which would mean that the damage does gravitate towards the middle.

On topic: Longspear.

Simu-ninjaed
    Last edited by Dancing_Zephyr; 2007-01-05 at 06:14 PM. Reason: simu-ninja
    The Hypnotoad made me do it!

Power corrupts, absolute power is kinda neat.
    -John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Villains always have antidotes. They're funny that way. -The Helping People Tick