New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1489
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Class and Level Geekery XI - Can Now Argue Three Times Per Page

Thanks, Zimmerwald1915! I had forgotten about the ADB commenting on V's spells, only remembering how the number of spells used could be helped to determine a lower bound. Your aid in explanation is much appreciated.
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2013-12-20 at 08:46 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    V is now the proud owner of an orange Ioun Stone. By RAW the only orange stone is the orange prism, which gives +1 caster level.
    While it is possibly and probably the smartest move to give the Ioun Stone to V (and th OP already listed it as such), as of strip #935 I would argue to move it to Blackwing's items: It is clearly shown that he has it in his claws and he did not did say that he snagged it for V. So before we have evidence that he passed it to V it is imo Blackwing's item.

Problems with [table]?
    All you want to know about [table]!
    The Order of the Stick
    Kickstarter Reward Collection

Last updated: 2016/08/09, containing:
    9 Crayon Drawings | 21 Stick its | 47 Signature Doodles

Custom Avatar made by the Giant.

Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianSt View Post
    While it is possibly and probably the smartest move to give the Ioun Stone to V (and th OP already listed it as such), as of strip #935 I would argue to move it to Blackwing's items: It is clearly shown that he has it in his claws and he did not did say that he snagged it for V. So before we have evidence that he passed it to V it is imo Blackwing's item.
    From a story perspective V letting Blackwing keep the bauble because he likes it even though it strengthens V considerably and does nothing for Blackwing would be a good character growth opportunity. So assuming that Blackwing will give the ioun stone to V is a mistake (even though I think it is more likely than not that he will).

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I haven't been following this thread, but two things came to mind.

Does Roy actually have the Mage Slayer feat yet? His only usage takes place inside a very powerful illusion. Using an ability that he has been practicing but is not yet proficient with is not unreasonable given what else takes place.

With his recent return, is there enough information to put up a stat block for Julio? There's a bit of evidence for certain things:
    -CL 11+, says he has 10 levels Dashing Swordsman
    -DMG states you should have 5-6 levels before being able to take prestige classes (though splatbooks break this at least once), CL 15/16+
    -As a rival to Tarquin, it is also possible to say he's equal to his level a la PC rival rules, i.e. Crystal.
    -Claims average str/dex scores (10-12?) but reasonably better Charisma (14+ min, though 20+ isn't far-fetched considering Swordsman rank, level, and wealth).
    -Smarter than Elan (10+ Int?)

That's off the top of my head. There is likely more I don't remember in SSDT.
    Last edited by Nightblade; 2013-12-20 at 09:25 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

He used his feat (which I still don't think is Mage Slayer) on Miron to cancel his Horrid Wilting.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

6. - Top - End - #1026

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Right you are. It is clearly too long time since I played D&D* apart from in CRPGs, as I remembered some RoW variants as being able to double spells for all spell levels up to the highest they affected
    In 1e there was a RoW that doubled 1st-3rd level spells, and another which doubled 4th & 5th level spells.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Codyage View Post
    Just after my post, Illven shows that the math was wrong on how many spells V has in a day. Going from 44 to 46.

44 - 25 left over makes 19. The exact amount cast which proves the IFCC theory correct.

However, 46(The correct amount) - 25 is 21 cast. Which didn't match up with the number of spells V casted at the moment.

Zimmerwald, and RickDaily then did the math, and the error was, V is now level 16, instead of 15. With all the bonus spells and the like for leveling up. So, instead of V getting refreshed by the IFCC, the math shows V leveling up, is the only scenario right now that can fit the number of spells cast.
    Well, no, the option is that V is level 16 with a 24 Int, IIRC.

Since, IIRC, people thought V was level 15 with a 23 Int, the "IFCC refills" hypothesis is at least as strong as the "V is level 16 w/ Int 24" hypothesis. No?

8. - Top - End - #1028

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    even though it strengthens V considerably
    Not really. It enables him to cast his current spells as if he were a level higher; it doesn't give him spells as if he were a level higher. It's a 5% boost versus SR, Dispel checks, and the like. So, no 9th level spell for V.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
    Not really. It enables him to cast his current spells as if he were a level higher; it doesn't give him spells as if he were a level higher. It's a 5% boost versus SR, Dispel checks, and the like. So, no 9th level spell for V.
    Where do you get "must grant level 9 spells" from "strengthens V considerably"? It seems to me that an extra damage die, a 5% greater probability to dispel and counterspell, and a 5% greater probability to penetrate spell resistance all "strengthen V considerably", especially since V likes to use damage spells (she even used one in this fight with Laurin) and has historically had a hard time penetrating spell resistance.

10. - Top - End - #1030

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GregTD View Post
    Since, IIRC, people thought V was level 15 with a 23 Int, the "IFCC refills" hypothesis is at least as strong as the "V is level 16 w/ Int 24" hypothesis. No?
    No it isn't. V was only in the care of the IFCC for 20-odd minutes and did not have access to his spellbook, and did not have the opportunity to rest. This means that V is at least 16th level with at least Int 24.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post

If V has 15 levels of Wizard and an Intelligence of 23, she would have had either 22 or 23 spells, not including cantrips, remaining at the time of her comment to Laurin, depending on whether the hand in 934 was a new spell or a spell that had stuck around. If V has 16 levels of Wizard and an Intelligence of 23, she would have had either 24 or 25 spells remaining at the time of her comment to Laurin. If V has 16 levels of Wizard and an Intelligence of 24, she would have had either 26 or 27 spells remaining at the time of her comment to Laurin. In order for V to be telling the truth, she must have 16 levels of Wizard and an Intelligence of 24.
    You forgot the ring of wizardry. That's another 4 spell slots of level 1-3, probably level 3.

12. - Top - End - #1032

PaladinGuy

Where do you get "must grant level 9 spells" from "strengthens V considerably"?
    Because in 1e/2e there was an Ioun Stone, the dendroid, which did give you +1 level of ability.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Titan in the Playground

Quoth Deliverance:

but then again, we very seldom see V go wild with any sort of magic as unloading a significant part of any high level wizard's load of spells would take a lot of strips.
    But we have seen it at least twice, and both times the spell level with which e went wild was third: When e cast Explosive Runes on Belkar repeatedly, and when e told the Young Black Dragon how many Suggestions he had.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Banned

No it isn't. V was only in the care of the IFCC for 20-odd minutes and did not have access to his spellbook, and did not have the opportunity to rest. This means that V is at least 16th level with at least Int 24.
    The Directors can refresh V's spell slots...when, and by, performing a soul splice. They did not perform a soul splice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Seward View Post
    You forgot the ring of wizardry. That's another 4 spell slots of level 1-3, probably level 3.
    No I didn't. Check the first paragraph of the post again, right under the two block quotes. Then count how many level 3 spell slots I gave V.

Because in 1e/2e there was an Ioun Stone, the dendroid, which did give you +1 level of ability.
    So? This is 3.5e (or rather, the OOTS RPG, which works like 3.5e unless explicitly stated otherwise, and no explicit statement has appeared), son.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-12-20 at 11:22 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

While I don't believe he realizes it, zimmer already shot that down:

"Though on the plus side, the rejuvenating effects of the Soul Splice will allow you to start with all spell slots fully replenished."

We know that V's body was "rejuvenated" to full HP this time. The Soul Splice rejuvenation took less than 20 minutes, and didn't involve V looking at her spell book, or resting.

So, we know that the IFCC can do it, and the restoration of health (that was not promised) shows that V gets benefits from the grab that weren't explained before hand.

So unless you have a good story about how V picked up an extra bit of Int, and an extra level, without anyone really noticing, I'd say the "IFCC refills" is the best explanation.
    Last edited by GregTD; 2013-12-20 at 02:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Codyage View Post
    It still doesn't work even if you flip it.

Spells V has casted today
    1. Overland flight on V.
    2. Greater Dispel Magic.
    3. Pass wall
    4. Quickened Expeditious Retreat.
    5. Bugsby hand.
    6. stone skin
    7. fireball
    8. wall of fire
    9. protection from arrows
    10. lightning bolt
    11. fly
    12. chain lightning
    13. scorching ray
    14. lightning bolt
    15. hold monster
    16. lightning bolt
    17. prismatic spray
    18. disintegrate
    19. Bugsby hand
    20. another hand
    21. cone of cold
    22. force cage
    23. dimensional anchor
    24. resilient sphere

Possible Scenarios
    46(Spells per day at level 15 with 23 Int) - 24(Spells cast) = 22 (Spells left). Does not work.

48(Spells per day at level 16 with 23 Int) - 24(Spells cast) = 24 (Spells left). Does not work.

50(Spells per day at level 16 and 24 Int) - 24(Spells cast) = 26 (Spells left). Does work.

V being level 16 with 24 Int is the only scenario where V can have all of their spells ready to go.

Going by the idea that the IFCC did replenish the spells.

Changes the results to 27, 29, and 31.

All three still qualify if the IFCC restored spells (Where is the proof that they said they would replenish spells anyway?)

However, only one scenario, V being level 16 with 24 Int works if the IFCC didn't restore spells.
    They never said anything about replenishing spell slots. They also never said anything about replenishing HP, but they did that.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Pixie in the Playground

While I don't believe he realizes it, Zimmerman already shot that down:

"Though on the plus side, the rejuvenating effects of the Soul Splice will allow you to start with all spell slots fully replenished."

We know that V's body was "rejuvenated" to full HP this time. The Soul Splice rejuvenation took less than 20 minutes, and didn't involve V looking at her spell book, or resting.

So, we know that the IFCC can do it, and the restoration of health (that was not promised) shows that V gets benefits from the grab that weren't explained before hand.

So unless you have a good story about how V picked up an extra bit of Int, and an extra level, without anyone really noticing, I'd say the "IFCC refills" is the best explanation.
    "...the rejuvenating effects of the Soul Splice will..."

Not some special thing the IFCC did for this purpose, but a side effect of the process V underwent. Since Vaarsuvius did not undergo this same process in V's recent visit with the fiends, there is no reason to assume that V randomly got spell slots refilled.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Banned

Please, if you're going to quote me, at least get my name right. If you're not in the mood to type it out, then either shorten it (I like "zimmer") or copy and paste it from the quote box.

Well, there was that whole "reclaiming the throne for Princess Gootrude and defeating the evil sauce dragon" thing, from which she'd be the only one to get XP (dominated thralls don't count as party members for the purposes of XP distribution). Personally, despite V's exasperation at the memory, I think it'd make a decent story.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2013-12-20 at 11:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1039

AssassinGuy

IFCC states that V's body can't come to harm while his soul is with them and the place where his body was staying was subject to a massive explosion. It's reasonable that they had to do something to restore V's body after that and just went with restoring V to full health rather than pinpointing his health total before his soul was called down.

The effects of the splice itself were specifically stated to restore V's slots. It was a side effect of the process. No such process was done here and there's no indication that the IFCC can restore spell slots otherwise. You're assuming powers not in evidence and using them to solve a problem. Zimmer's explanation is better by far because it doesn't magically create an ability out of nowhere.
    Last edited by orrion; 2013-12-20 at 11:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Ogre in the Playground

The thing is, you're assuming a homebrewed effect to justify the lower level. Yes, there exists a homebrewed effect that does what you're describing, but there's no evidence that it was used on this occasion.

And people have been gaining stats/levels "without anyone noticing" for a while. There was no pomp and circumstance when V revealed Power Word Stun: Until that time we still believed they were level 14.

Also also, the extra int and level can be explained hand in hand: Upon reaching level 16 (and any multiple of 4), you can raise one of your ability scores by one. So going from Level 15/Int 23 to Level 16/Int 24 is perfectly acceptable.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2013-12-20 at 11:48 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Orc in the Playground

V could have been lying to Laurin about how many spells she had. BTW I liked that little ray of hope that L had when she thought that V was out of spells.

22. - Top - End - #1042

In order for V to be telling the truth, she must have 16 levels of Wizard and an Intelligence of 24.
    This looks right. But (playing Devil's Advocate here), how strong is the assumption that V is telling the truth, rather than trying a bluff to get her enemy to retreat?

ETA: ninja'd by a knight. You'd have thought I'd have heard the clanking of the armour...
    Last edited by sam79; 2013-12-20 at 12:08 PM.
    The prison was full of British officers who had sworn to die, rather than be captured.

Avatar by Rich Burlew: The Giant Stuck It To Me!

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Bluff is cross-class for wizards, depends on a stat V doesn't have much of, and would operate at a +10 DC because it would make Laurin believe that she's in significant danger.

So stats-geekery-wise, not that likely.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar. Sometimes, characters that have a similar hairstyle just have a similar hairstyle. How many hairstyles do you think there are that can be drawn in stick figure style, anyway?

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Troll in the Playground

I would humbly suggest that we do not know (1) that the Ring of Wizardry conforms precisely to any in the SRD, and (2) that V does not possess something like a Pearl(s) of Power.

I admire the careful work that implies V is 16 level and Int 24, but it is not a conclusion that seems very firm to me.

Furthermore, it is possible that V is fudging the truth, and/or is counting a scroll or three.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post
    I would humbly suggest that we do not know (1) that the Ring of Wizardry conforms precisely to any in the SRD, and (2) that V does not possess something like a Pearl(s) of Power.

I admire the careful work that implies V is 16 level and Int 24, but it is not a conclusion that seems very firm to me.
    At some point, we have to work on some assumptions. Not everything can be cast iron irrefutable fact due to the nature of story moments naturally overriding D&D rules.

- We assume a feat/spell/magic item/whatever works as described in the SRD unless proven otherwise. An example of being proven otherwise is Overland Flight, which V normally could not cast on other people.
    - We do not assume a character has an unspoken of magic item unless evidence points to it. For example we pegged Tarquin having a ring of evasion because of taking no damage from the Flame Strike, and not knowing his class.

Furthermore, it is possible that V is fudging the truth, and/or is counting a scroll or three.
    There is a bit more weight in this possibility, but when have we seen Vaarsuvius deploy this kind of tactic in the past? To my knowledge when it came to combat V is usually pretty honest about what they can do. Also keep in mind the difficulty of such a bluff and V being in a poor position to make an effective attempt of it.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2013-12-20 at 12:47 PM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

26. - Top - End - #1046

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Snails View Post

At that point you kill the reason the thread is around.

The comic is based on 3.5 rules, so we have to assume that the 3.5 rules are in operation unless told or shown otherwise. Likewise, it's pointless to say "Magic Item X could do this" unless there's reason to believe that a magic item is present.

V could be bluffing and/or counting scrolls, but bluffing isn't an established part of V's character and scrolls haven't had a huge presence in the comic. Also, if he had scrolls it would make even better sense to say "I have X spells left and a bunch of scrolls" to make himself seem even more formidable. Plus V makes a specific mention of discounting cantrips so he'd probably have made a mention of discounting scrolls if there were any.

27. - Top - End - #1047

V being Level 16 and that headband/scrunchie thing being a +6 INT item seems reasonable enough to me.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shale View Post
    Bluff is cross-class for wizards, depends on a stat V doesn't have much of, and would operate at a +10 DC because it would make Laurin believe that she's in significant danger.

So stats-geekery-wise, not that likely.
    Not to mention that lie detection is Laurin's thing, and it would probably have been included in Sabine's warnings about her ("don't bluff the psion - she's Tarquin's lie detector)

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Please, if you're going to quote me, at least get my name right. If you're not in the mood to type it out, then either shorten it (I like "zimmer") or copy and paste it from the quote box.

Well, there was that whole "reclaiming the throne for Princess Gootrude and defeating the evil sauce dragon" thing, from which she'd be the only one to get XP (dominated thralls don't count as party members for the purposes of XP distribution). Personally, despite V's exasperation at the memory, I think it'd make a decent story.
    Sorry about that, I fixed it.

For those of us you don't know the new D&D, where did the +1 Int come from?

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Banned

Sorry about that, I fixed it.

For those of us you don't know the new D&D, where did the +1 Int come from?
    Characters get to increase one ability score by one at levels 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20.