New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Hero

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Guitar Hero

Who else has played either of these games?

More Than A Feeling is the best song from the first game, and Carry On Wayward Son is the best from the second game.
    a secret to everybody.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Guitar Hero

I've played both, my friend has II. On a gaming forum, I'd figure Trogdor would be the better liked in the second

These are definetly great games, I heard some guy in a Gamestop saying that he'll never play the game because it'll mess up his fingering when playing an actual guitar

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

I have played them. And I think they ROCK! from 2 I think hangar 18 ( I love MEGADETH!) and from 1 i would have to go with ziggy stardust. Just cause I like David Bowie. I still can't beat freebird on expert though. My will just dies after a while.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    These are definetly great games, I heard some guy in a Gamestop saying that he'll never play the game because it'll mess up his fingering when playing an actual guitar
    As a guitarist, I can say the hardest thing about the game is when you know a song, put in notes that aren't there in the game (that are in the song) and throw your timing out. But you soon get over it.

Personally I was a little disappointed that with more songs on 2 I know far less of them. Favourite track is Pantera's Cowboy's From Hell or the Queens of the Stone Age one on 1.
    "They say we wizards are subtle. But believe you me, we've got nothing, nothing at all on women" - Harry Dresden, Storm Front
    A thousand and one blessings on the house of Ishukira for the Illuminated One avatar.

5. - Top - End - #5

Oh, I definitely prefer the song selection from number 1 as a whole. GH2 has some classics, but they also have more songs that are just not fun to play or listen to. (Thinking of Freya.)

And Ambrogino, I believe you're thinking of No One Knows. I hated that song at first, but it's really grown on me since then.
    a secret to everybody.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    And Ambrogino, I believe you're thinking of No One Knows. I hated that song at first, but it's really grown on me since then.

That's the one. I'm not really a big fan of the song on it's own, but it's wicked fun in the game.
    "They say we wizards are subtle. But believe you me, we've got nothing, nothing at all on women" - Harry Dresden, Storm Front
    A thousand and one blessings on the house of Ishukira for the Illuminated One avatar.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

They're both fantastic games. The only beef I have is that hammer-ons and pull-offs are simplified in GHII, and when I go back and play GH, I try using the simpler moves and end up hearing, "PLINK PLONK PLUNK" a lot.

Favorite songs would have to be "Take It Off" and "Cheat on the Church" from the first game, and "Carry Me Home" and "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" from the second.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

this game is soooo awesome. i cant stop playing it. it's so much fun. and it makes a great game to play with friends while having a few brews before heading out to the bars!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think these games are pretty awesome. I don't like the fact that they're on the Playstation (I'm not a Sony fan), but they are awesome. With guitars.

I usually just play Iron Man because it's the only song in the two that I know really well. Other than Trogdor, that is.
    Legacy of the Bieth - my B/X D&D campaign setting. Abbasid/Almoravid North Africa, spaghetti westerns, and Roadside Picnic.
    LotB tumblr and Google Plus campaign page

Awesome

10. - Top - End - #10
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I'm still working on Gitaroo-Man (3 years and counting)
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've played both, and i find i like the songs of guitar hero 1 better. I'm so bad at the game though, i can't even do medium on most songs.
    I wish I had something to put here in this empty space....

www.ultimate-reviews.net Yeah. That's 'bout it....

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Don't play Guitar Hero, it'll lead to elbow trouble!1! *j/k*

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/14/gu...s-big-leaguer/

I love how throwing 100 mph fastballs is apparently less taxing on your arm than a video game...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trogdor is pretty hard. I love how there's Beast and the Harlot in GH2. I love GH2, never played the first one.

I play on medium. What about you?

14. - Top - End - #14

I play on Expert.

Although recently I went back and played all the Medium songs and got 100% all the way from Shout At The Devil to Freebird.
    a secret to everybody.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Me too elflad! Can you beat thunderhorse in expert? I just explode after the constant flood of notes.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm very angry to discover that there are going to be ten-odd more songs on the 360-port of GH2, including Maiden's The Trooper. More bonus songs you've never heard of, I wouldn't mind, but saving back big names they already had the liscences to is aggravating. I won't buy a MS console, and now I'm unlikely to buy more Guitar Hero sequels on Sony consoles.

17. - Top - End - #17

I've never played either GH title. I don't plan to. My reasoning is pretty much the same as for DDR. I go to the movies and see these idiots teenagers hopping around like bunnies on crack and thinking they're dancing.

I say, if you want to play those songs, actually take the time to learn the guitar. I guarantee that it'll be more fun and rewarding than any game.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Heh, yeah, it's fun to watch the DDR people...

Good thing they don't put Guitar Hero in the mall.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Squat View Post
    Heh, yeah, it's fun to watch the DDR people...

Good thing they don't put Guitar Hero in the mall.
    Go to Japan, sometime. Guitars would be one of the least amazing things you'd see in an arcade.
    Beware! Beware!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

I've played both GH games but own neither. They are fun, but my wrists take a beating. I'm still amazed watching one of my friends play Cowboys from Hell on expert without watching the screen!

And Wampa, I feel your pain with Gitaroo Man... I never did pass the Tribone Trio on masters. That song is firmly engrained in my head after endless hours of unsuccessful attempts.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Thervold View Post
    And Wampa, I feel your pain with Gitaroo Man... I never did pass the Tribone Trio on masters. That song is firmly engrained in my head after endless hours of unsuccessful attempts.
    I'm still there . . . at least I've gotten to the point where I can get past the intro flawlessly. Too bad I can't dodge the blue one's (Soda, I think) attack patterns worth spit.
    Beware! Beware!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
    I say, if you want to play those songs, actually take the time to learn the guitar. I guarantee that it'll be more fun and rewarding than any game.
    Dude, I do play the guitar. That doesn't stop it being a fun game, given that whilst I play the guitar, I don't always have a band round to play the rest of the song, and backing tapes are arse. It's a guitar version of karaoke, not a-cappella concerts.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrogino View Post
    I'm very angry to discover that there are going to be ten-odd more songs on the 360-port of GH2, including Maiden's The Trooper. More bonus songs you've never heard of, I wouldn't mind, but saving back big names they already had the liscences to is aggravating. I won't buy a MS console, and now I'm unlikely to buy more Guitar Hero sequels on Sony consoles.
    Well, I believe Harmonix has said that they're planning a GH sequel for all major next-gen consoles, so that just means the Wii and PS3 will probably have even more songs.
    a secret to everybody.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I heard that too. IIRC, they also said they might be adding more instruments in, though that might have just been the local newscaster commenting on what he thinks will happen next.

25. - Top - End - #25

Well, I believe Harmonix has said that they're planning a GH sequel for all major next-gen consoles, so that just means the Wii and PS3 will probably have even more songs.
    Mason William's Classical Gas would be pretty cool.

If they ever released a Classical Guitar Hero, I would probably be all over that.
    Beware! Beware!

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Son View Post
    I've never played either GH title. I don't plan to. My reasoning is pretty much the same as for DDR. I go to the movies and see these idiots teenagers hopping around like bunnies on crack and thinking they're dancing.

Responding to this, I play Guitar Hero because it's fun, not because I think it makes me "cool."

Also, a real guitar requires more of an investment in time and money than I can afford as a college student. (Well, the money side I could handle, but not the time.)

And, really, if you want to miss out on a fun game because you think it'll make you look ridiculous, your loss.
    a secret to everybody.

27. - Top - End - #27

Responding to this, I play Guitar Hero because it's fun, not because I think it makes me "cool."

Also, a real guitar requires more of an investment in time and money than I can afford as a college student. (Well, the money side I could handle, but not the time.)

And, really, if you want to miss out on a fun game because you think it'll make you look ridiculous, your loss.
    You make some good points, but you missed mine. It's not that I'd look ridiculous as I'd be in my own home. I took the time to actually learn to dance. I want to take the time to learn the guitar. I just find that pseudo-dancing or guitaring is not a fun passtime for me. Though if she's cute enough, I can enjoy just about any passtime.
    Avatar by Sneak - The Midnight Son by Ceika
    No more a lone wolf, The Midnight Son rides again.
    Give thanks ye mortals, for he rides on the wings of an angel.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

Ah, okay.

And, incidentally, a Creedence Clearwater Revival song would not go amiss in GHIII.
    a secret to everybody.

29. - Top - End - #29

DruidGirl

furious Re: Guitar Hero

I've had the misfortune of sitting through 2 hours of this mockery of artistic expression from Hell. I wasn't impressed. What a complete waste of time! Why don't you just play a guitar? It would take the same amount of time and energy for a more rewarding effect, yes? The only good thing about the game is the message you get when you pull out the guitar controller mid song. It reads " you are rocking out too hard. Please put the controller back into the outlet". Funny. I can imagine some over zealous kid thrashing about while punching in discordant tunes into the guitar-shaped controller that resembles a toy made for a three-year-old. The game is almost as bad as DDR. Both of them make me want to bash my head against something a concrete wall in an effort to exorcize the complete and utter idiocy of this new "genre".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrogino View Post
    Conversely, this makes me happy, because Microsoft's much nicer in my mind than Sony these days. Yay Maiden!

Re: Hallavast...

Why the heck did you sit there for two hours? I think the game's pretty cool, but there's no way I'd sit there for two hours of Guitar-ing. Also, it's much *less* effort than actually playing a guitar; all you've got to do is push the colored button on the controller and strum at the same time. The little nuances of proper finger positioning, managing not to strum the wrong string, and the like aren't present.

Besides, look on the bright side.

They could have chosen obnoxious songs. :P
    Legacy of the Bieth - my B/X D&D campaign setting. Abbasid/Almoravid North Africa, spaghetti westerns, and Roadside Picnic.
    LotB tumblr and Google Plus campaign page

Awesome