New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Fun with reach weapons

For awhile, I've been looking through numerous books looking for a non mounted traditional reach weapon( glaive, long spear, bardiche, lucerne hammer) prestige class for 3rd or 3.5 ed but I haven't been able to find one. I was wondering if anyone knows of any official or home brewed prestige classes for that. Also can you charge with a reach weapon non mounted and can you monkey grip one?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Fun with reach weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Battalion View Post
    For awhile, I've been looking through numerous books looking for a non mounted traditional reach weapon( glaive, long spear, bardiche, lucerne hammer) prestige class for 3rd or 3.5 ed but I haven't been able to find one. I was wondering if anyone knows of any official or home brewed prestige classes for that.
    Probably not what you're looking for, but Sword and Fist has a prestige class built around both the whip (possibly a "traidional" reach weapon) and the spiked chain. The spiked chain one is called master of chains. I'm not remembering the name of the whip one.

Also can you charge with a reach weapon non mounted
    Yes. When charging, you must attack at the earliest possible square possible. Using a reach weapon doesn't change that.

and can you monkey grip one?
    Yes, though Monkey Grip is a poor feat choice.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Charge? yes. You can charge with any melee weapon.

Monkey grip? Er, sure. Don't recommend it. (doesn't increase your reach, and the additional damage isn't worth the attack penalty.)

As far as I'm aware, there are no special Prcs that would encourage you to use one, sorry.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

You can charge with a reach weapon but you're better of being charged. x2 damage when your enemies are at -2 armour class is better than +2 attack and -2 defence. It takes a readied action but if you're fighting in a corridoor that isn't so bad.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Closed Account

Lasher! You use a whip, the coolest weapon around, and you get abilities like using a whip as a hand.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    Lasher! You use a whip, the coolest weapon around, and you get abilities like using a whip as a hand.
    Hehe. Yeah, i remember that one. Combine it with a Thri-Ken, and you've got the ultimate lion-tamer :)
    When did you last walk into a clean dungeon, and felt safe?!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't the whip a ranged weapon, not a reach weapon?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Battalion View Post
    For awhile, I've been looking through numerous books looking for a non mounted traditional reach weapon( glaive, long spear, bardiche, lucerne hammer) prestige class for 3rd or 3.5 ed but I haven't been able to find one. I was wondering if anyone knows of any official or home brewed prestige classes for that. Also can you charge with a reach weapon non mounted and can you monkey grip one?
    You can charge with a reach weapon but lance is the only one giving double damage...

Reach weapon doubles your normal reach, so monkey gripping a large reach weapon gives you still the same 10 feet reach so no reason to use it.
    Maggots in the Meat: IC thread, OOC thread, dierolls

9. - Top - End - #9
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Well, for the lasher, it was.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    You can charge with a reach weapon but you're better of being charged. x2 damage when your enemies are at -2 armour class is better than +2 attack and -2 defence. It takes a readied action but if you're fighting in a corridoor that isn't so bad.
    Not every reach weapon can be set against a charge. I'd guess only those that do piercing damage.

------------------

As far as I know there is no official prestige class that is tailored for reach weapon fighters.

Just take the right feats as a fighter. I like reach weapons for gish builds. They don't have the hp of pure fighters and so a reach weapon helps to keep to keep the bad guys at bay.
    Last edited by Amiria; 2007-01-07 at 07:19 AM.
    The Countess of Mispelling hath returned !__________________________________________________ _________Behold my magnetoresistance !
    Quote Originally Posted by KillingAScarab View Post
    This isn't just any drow. This is a drow who is willing to have a good-aligned flying snake come out of her body so she can then fart rainbows.
    Outer Sphere__________________________________________________ _______________Inkatar !__________________________________________________ _______________Starship

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11

SamuraiGuy

Yeah, it's all about the feats. Combat Reflexes and Stand Still are a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spiked Chain ftw... it's traditional! if comcmon=tradition, anyway...

But no, there aren't any reach build, AFAIK.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Exotic Weapon Master is based around exotic weapons, not necessarily reach weapons, but there's enough overlap to fake it. You can get abilities like Exotic Reach and Exotic Flurry (with a Spiked Chain), which is something.

JaronK

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Don't forget to wear Spiked Gauntlets, or at least have Quick Draw
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

15. - Top - End - #15

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Don't forget to wear Spiked Gauntlets, or at least have Quick Draw
    What do the RAW say wrt using gauntlets and 2h weapons - surely you cannot threaten with both simultaneously? I would suggest armour spikes instead.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Hmmm. Not sure, depends on how the Fight pans out. You can use Gauntlets in combination with a Two Handed Weapon during your own turn through Iterative Attacks, but not as an Off Hand Attack (so, you could hit somebody with a Reach Weapon and as your next Iterative Attack hit somebody adjacent with your Spiked Gauntlets). On the other hand, you can use any weapon you like to make an Attack of Opportunity, but I'm not sure that would extend to Gauntlets in this case.

Armour Spikes would be simpler, as there is no confusion about how they work.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-01-07 at 09:51 AM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

In 3.0, the whip was a ranged weapon. In the change to 3.5 they made it a melee weapon with 15' reach that provokes an attack of opportunity to use. So, if you're gonna take a hard look at the lasher, you'll need to re-do the prereqs I believe, since they're based around the whip being a ranged weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikkitosen View Post
    What do the RAW say wrt using gauntlets and 2h weapons - surely you cannot threaten with both simultaneously? I would suggest armour spikes instead.
    Well, there's this in the FAQ:

Quote Originally Posted by FAQ (December 20, 2006 version), page 34
    Is a character wielding a two-handed reach weapon (such as a longspear) and wearing spiked armor threatening all squares within 10 feet? Assuming he has Combat Reflexes, can he make an attack of opportunity with his longspear and then with his armor spikes in the same round?

A character wearing spiked armor threatens all squares within his normal reach (5 feet away). If he also wields a longspear, he would also threaten all squares 10 feet away.

Any time a character wielding more than one weapon is allowed an attack of opportunity, he may use any weapon that threatens the opponent who has provoked the attack. In this case, imagine an enemy who charged the character and then tried to disarm him. The charge attack would provoke an attack of opportunity from the longspear as the enemy moved out of a threatened square (in order to move adjacent to the character and deliver the charge attack). Then, the disarm attempt would provoke another attack of opportunity (assuming the enemy didn’t have Improved Disarm). This attack of opportunity could be made only with the armor spikes, since the longspear doesn’t threaten an adjacent enemy.
    So that talks about armor spikes rather than a spiked guantlet, but the principle is the same.
    John Ling

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

18. - Top - End - #18

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zherog View Post
    So that talks about armor spikes rather than a spiked guantlet, but the principle is the same.
    This doesn't really answer whether or not you threaten with your gauntlets whilst using both hands on your weapon though

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    Sadly my group isn't mature enough to be allowed to use whips. They'd spend the whole session making stupid S&M comments...
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

don't know, but the best reach weapon is the net :D

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

The net is a ranged weapon, not a reach weapon.
    John Ling

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

This doesn't really answer whether or not you threaten with your gauntlets whilst using both hands on your weapon though
    Taking one hand off the weapon isn't even an action. You can hold the two-handed weapon in one hand and attack with the spiked gauntlet.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Taking one hand off the weapon isn't even an action. You can hold the two-handed weapon in one hand and attack with the spiked gauntlet.
    What about putting a hand on a weapon? Because changing hands with a one-handed weapon takes as long as drawing the weapon does in the first place. But apparently with a greatsword you can start out holding it in your on-hand, move it to your off-hand by holding it in both then letting go with your on-hand, then use your on-hand for something...

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

What about putting a hand on a weapon? Because changing hands with a one-handed weapon takes as long as drawing the weapon does in the first place. But apparently with a greatsword you can start out holding it in your on-hand, move it to your off-hand by holding it in both then letting go with your on-hand, then use your on-hand for something...
    Er, sure? I don't really understand that, but in D&D, switching weapons in hands isn't an action, as far as I know. (Also, no "off hands" unless you're TWFing. D&D doesn't really make distinctions with right hand, left hand, etc.)

You can swing your spear or whatever around, "take one hand off it" and make an attack with a spiked gauntlet, then put the hand back on the spear and attack something else.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

I guess this must be a case of custserv not knowing what the hell they're talking about... >.>

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Er, sure? I don't really understand that, but in D&D, switching weapons in hands isn't an action, as far as I know. (Also, no "off hands" unless you're TWFing. D&D doesn't really make distinctions with right hand, left hand, etc.)

You can swing your spear or whatever around, "take one hand off it" and make an attack with a spiked gauntlet, then put the hand back on the spear and attack something else.
    Actually D&D does discern between right and left hand, but only in the glossary. The Two Weapon Fighting Articles reinforce the notion, though; if a Character has Two Weapon Fighting he can freely designate his Primary and Off Hands from round to round (maybe even from attack to attack), but a Character without this Feat takes a -4 Penalty to any action performed with his non Primary hand.

The removal of the Ambidextrous Feat in the transition from 3.0 to 3.5 is obviously the cause of the confusion.

Moving a One Handed Weapon from one hand to another is a Move Action, if I recall correctly...
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-01-08 at 06:33 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27

SamuraiGuy

So you can simultaneously threaten 5' and 10' with a longspear and spiked gauntlets? Is there an official source for this, 'cos it sounds...stupid.

I'm all for alternating attacks, it's threatening I'm talking about.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Hey just a thought, which is slightly off topic but I'm sure you lovely folk will forgive an old man in his dotage..(ramble ramble)
    As you all say (obviously not all of you, but as a general consensus) TWF is so shabby, why not put back the Ambidexterity feat (calm down, I'm not finished) to have the effect of negating the half str penalty with your off hand?
    Please feel free to tell how this won't help and is fundimentally a dumb idea whilst castigating me for my derailment... I don't mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    I am now going to begin blaming everything that goes wrong on Charity. Just for gits and shiggles. And not even just things on the forums. Summer! Charity!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

I'm all for that Charity, but you have to also consider that 1 + 1 = 2 (*joke*) for Two Handed Weapons [i.e. Left + Right is currently 1 + 0.5 = 1.5]. You also have to consider Multi Limbed Characters and the use of Unarmed Strike in relation to other body parts. Personally, I'm all for the standardisation of such things, I even made a little Feat to that effect: Even Handed

In short, I'm in favour of that, but it is not as clear cut as might be imagined.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2007-01-08 at 07:37 AM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a FAQ ruling on this. I couldn't find it on a quick look through, and I'm really running late this morning. I'll try to post it tonight. Basically, it says this is a move action, not a series of free actions.

I guess this must be a case of custserv not knowing what the hell they're talking about... >.>
    Wouldn't be the first time. I've sent the same question to customer service twice and received two completely different answers.

So you can simultaneously threaten 5' and 10' with a longspear and spiked gauntlets? Is there an official source for this, 'cos it sounds...stupid.

I'm all for alternating attacks, it's threatening I'm talking about.
    Well, it's certainly possible to threaten both 5' and 10' by using armor spikes and a longspear. See my earlier quote from the FAQ. Using a spiked guantlet (while stupid, I agree) is an extrapolation from there.
    John Ling