New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ridiculous Characters & why you made them the way you did

Just what it says, what are some of the most ridiculous characters you've made, both in terms of personality and mechanics. Why were they ridiculous? Why did you make the character that way? did a paladin/rogue just seem like a good idea at the time, or were you going for somethin deeper?

Any system is fine just specify; and most importantly, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING DOING THAT?
    May I borrow some bat guano? It's for a spell...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ridiculous Characters & why you made them the way you did

I played this in a PF campaign as a test run.

Obviously, I thought I knew what balance was...

The best part? My group loved him and wants to see him make a reappearance, since that campaign ended prematurely.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

So me and some friends were rolling up characters for a Call of Cthulu campaign, and I rolled up extremely high POW but weak physical stats. I took this ability spread and decided to do something that a more experienced CoC player would know is utterly ridiculous: I made a PC cultist. Specifically, I made Brian Patrick Hood, whose backstory is copied here:
    Spoiler
    Show
    In all worlds, in all times, in all shadowrealms and fractured realities, the house of Hood have been mages, sorcerors, wielders of supernal power. In this realm, that inbred trait drove them to the reality-warping energies of the Mythos, and they became Summoner Lords. Everything from Hunting Horrors to Fire Vampires to the Hounds of Tindalos were at their beck and call, if they paid the proper prices. An unusual mutation of common sense also runs rampant through this line, generally preventing them from driving too deep and getting involved with powers beyond their ability to control. As a child, Brian Hood was just beginning to be inducted into the lore of his family when his parents set off for a trip to Stonehenge, where they and others of the Circle intended to do…something. They never returned. Brian’s life is now bound by two tasks: To gain for himself the power that is his birthright, and to find the truth of what happened to his parents. In that quest, he has been required to work out the required spells himself, for both the bulk of his parent’s notes and all the Hood contacts within the Circle disappeared in the same disaster that took his parent’s lives.

I'm sure it surprised nobody that Brian died after about a half-dozen sessions, but what surprised everyone, including me, was that he actually died a hero.

The Set-up
    Spoiler
    Show
    We had gone to L.A. to look for a missing girl (named Kai Hito)whom I had seen in a vision, and in the course of this search my character had discovered hints in Kai's diary that the nearby collective of Buhddist monks contained a cultist circle. My character cautiously broached the topic with Kigo, the leader of the monastery, and received covert confirmation, causing him to promptly become obsessed with learning more about the Mythos. Unfortunately, nobody else shared my interest, and the discussion turned towards ways to break into the monastery. So, I set out on my own to warn the monks, in hopes of preventing offense.

The scene
    Spoiler
    Show

After I warned Kigo, we had a long conversation about the responsibility of magicians and the resemblances between Kai and me, in which I unwittingly hinted at the existence of a special bond between me and Kai. Kigo lead me deeper into the monastery, and despite several OOC hints, I followed eagerly into a hidden system of caves. Finally, we came upon a bizzare tableau. Kai was lying impaled upon a stalagmite, kept alive by some form of magic, and dozens of cables were attached to her Hemalurgic bind points, humming with a strange blue energy.

The choice
    Spoiler
    Show
    Kigo explained that it was he and his circle that had made Kai disappear. She had massive natural magical potential, which they had hoped to steal for themselves. Unfortunately, she had somehow locked her mind and soul, and hence her power, behind an unbreakable psionic shell. Kigo believed that I could unlock her mind, allowing him and his followers to siphon off her magical essence. I might have done it, except that at that point, Kigo must have gotten overexcited, for he unwittingly let his control slip just a hair, and I realized that he was not even human, merely a monster hiding under a flesh-mask. That was the deciding factor. I could justify, even glorify, the sacrifice of innocents for power, but not to give that power to non-humans. I knew in that moment, that I had a duty to stop Kigo.

The first try
    Spoiler
    Show
    I bought myself a few moments to think by searching through the ruins of five books of Kai's mother's poetry, pretending to seek a passage that I believed was the key to opening Kai's mind. In seconds, I came up with a crazy plan. In the previous session, I had learnt a spell that would translate its caster, along with those targets he specified, to the eldritch realm of the Twilight Queen. All you needed to cast the spell was a small black stone, which I had in my satchel. I palmed the stone, laid my hand on Kai's forehead, and cast the spell. It failed. (The Narrator explained that to make it work on the other side of the continent from the mortal demsne of the Twilight Queen, I'd need a luck roll. Which I failed.) This was where things got exciting, for Kigo knew enough magic to realize what I was trying to do, and he promptly burst his flesh-mask, revealing himself to be a giant scorpion-like monster.

BATTLE!: Round One.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The monster was much faster than me, and struck first. I declined to dodge, as I had another use for my action that round. The attack hit, and knocked off over half my hitpoints, but then it was my turn. I gasped out "It is given to man... to have dominance over you and your kind... You should have known this." and in a single swift motion I drew the steel dagger I had established I always carried, and buried it to the hilt in Kai's heart. Her hands flew up to grasp my arm, and a single thought pierced my mind: Thank you. Kai's arms fell back, and a beautiful smile graced her face. The eerie blue glow of the power-draining cables winked out. Kai's magic was beyond the reach of Kigo forever.

BATTLE!: Round Two.
    Spoiler
    Show
    At this point, I knew I couldn't escape, and I had only one goal: to bury that same dagger in my own heart, and prevent Kigo from stealing my own magic as he had tried to steal Kai's. Kigo's stinger lashed out again, and took enough hitpoints that it should have left me unconscious. However, the Narrator let me have one final action, and with a grin of victory, I sank the dagger into my chest. Everything went dark.

The Reward
    Spoiler
    Show
    I still don't know if the Narrator had come up with this next bit in advance, or if she just made it up on the spot because she felt I deserved a reward for my heroism. Apparently, the last spell my parents had invented, the one that caused them to vanish, was a means to cheat death. Casting it used up their own life-force, killing them, but instead of going to heaven or hell, the spell shunted them into some kind of parallel reality, to live there as god-like beings of pure magic. And they'd cast the same spell upon me, so when I fell fighting Kigo, the decade-old enchantment kicked in, and my spirit was infused with magic and whisked off to the parallel realm where my parents had been dwelling.

The Aftermath
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now, this entire scene, from the moment I had left from the monastery to the moment the Narrator finished explaining my reward, had taken place in another room, out of earshot of the rest of the party. This meant that they had no idea what had just happened. (Apparently they had caught one word: "dynamite"). So I watched as the players made their way to the secret cave where I had died. Arriving there, the party soon discovered Kai's body. According to the Narrator, she was absolutely covered in blood, and had an eerie smile on her face. Then one of the other players literally stepped on my body. It was awesome!
    Last edited by ReaderAt2046; 2013-11-20 at 11:55 PM.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My buddies and I were playing Call of Cthulhu, and rolled up into a Virginia town we believed was hiding some monsters and cultists. The character's name was Reginald Lancaster. In his backstory, he was an underachieving Londonite who lived an extremely mundane existence despite his college education in chemical engineering. That is, until he fell into a sewer, barely escaped being eaten by some wondering horrors, and decided to live his life on the edge. He nicked a copy of the clown suit worn by the Sixth Doctor, starting cooking up homemade bombs, and started monster hunting. The Virginia town mission was his first "played" expedition, as he came to America to join an investigators society (the party).

His first course of action was to break into the police station and search the crime records for anything unusual. He broke the necks of several cops to do so. A cave outside of town seemed promising, so he loaded all the guns in the station into a car and drove out. Upon arriving at the cave, he rigged the car to explode, and stuck a knife through the gas to send in throttling into the cave to blow up. It exploded, and it turns out the only people living in the cave was a bunch of homeless, who were all painted on the walls after that.

He then acted as live bait, sleeping in the park to attract kidnapping cultists. When they got one, Reginald tied him to a tree, and in the process of interrogating him, cut off six of his fingers, one of his ears, and smashed all of his teeth to get a confession. The monsters were in the church basement. Then he set the cultist on fire. To finish off the monsters, he stole a gas tanker from a nearby gas station, rigged it into a car bomb, and pulled a repeat of the cave. While the entire town was at mass.

All of this horrifying sociopathy carried out by a man in a rainbow coat with an extremely thick cockney accent, who was constantly munching starburst and spewing puns. He constantly referred to the NPC leader of the society as Christopher Lee, and kept the insides of his coat soaked with Chloroform incase he needed to subdue someone in a hurry. It was a blast playing him.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Sounds like someone graduated from the Henderson School of Call of Cthulhu.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

I once made a character called the Dandelion King, an awakened dandelion druid created by an epic level wizard because he was bored. His goal was to take over the entire world and turn it into land for his near infinite harem of flowers.

The King was disappointingly murdered by a fellow player character when he ordered them to bow before their king for the third time.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

7. - Top - End - #7

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by FabulousFizban View Post
    Just what it says, what are some of the most ridiculous characters you've made, both in terms of personality and mechanics. Why were they ridiculous? Why did you make the character that way? did a paladin/rogue just seem like a good idea at the time, or were you going for somethin deeper?

Any system is fine just specify; and most importantly, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING DOING THAT?
    A mystic theurge that I negotiated a custom feat for. It reduced the cost of crafting magic items by 15% in exchange for a 30% chance of a not-directly-fatal curse. It yielded great cursed items, like the time-lock bag of holding (it only opens at night), the Bag of Treats (every animal pulled from the bag comes out dismembered), the Flying Cauldron of Simulation (it induced the delusion of flying, but didn't actually fly), etc. He ran a discount magic item store, and was totally used car salesman about the items. Always found some good reason why you'd want the curse (the time-locked bag of holding was more secure, the bag of treats was better for feeding pets, the flying cauldron of simulation he used for teaching people how to fly a flying cauldron, etc).
    Last edited by CombatOwl; 2013-11-21 at 06:46 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

I once made a changeling chameleon designed to be able to emulate most of the core classes pretty well. His entire personality was based on being obsessed with a changeling children's game; I'm you.

I'd set him up on some days to mimic one of the other PC's classes and see how long the other PC's or NPC's took to figure it out. The players knew, rather obviously, but on some runs the characters wouldn't figure it out before I changed him again.

Different group, same build, me and the DM knew it was the same character but the other players thought I was just running minor NPC's that would come and go. Got through four sessions before I let enough clues "slip," for them to figure it out.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-11-28 at 12:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I pretty much always play variants of the same two characters. Female human cleric in heavy armor or male half-elf barbarian/sorcerer.

The main reason to create the barbarian/sorcerer was basically to prove that any character can be made to work. I eventually switched barbarian for ranger, which I think works out a bit better, but it's still by far my favorite type of character.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Two-Spell Kill (PF)

Flavor (Yes I wrote this on my sheet and gave it to my friend)
    Spoiler
    Show
    This character is the first of 5 builds designed using perfectly legal rules, aside from not use the full feat/trait selection for it ((Traits equal 1/2 Feat)I had 2 and 1/2 feats and Friend Had 4 (He was a human fighter)) , to prove that my sorcerers can always win against your battle turtles.

Stats/Specs
    Spoiler
    Show

Lv. 1 Human Sorcerer
    Copper Dragon Bloodline
    12/14/14/13/8/17
    AC (Back to this in a minute)

Feats/Traits

Spell Focus Evocation
    Varisian Tattoo Evocation
    Signature Spell Shocking Grasp

Spells

Shocking Grasp (With Feats, Traits and Class Arcana, Touch deals 3d6+3 damage)
    Mage Armor (Which Normally a Draconic Sorcerer auto-receives at lv 3)

Battle Usage

(We started about two rounds apart)
    Apply Mage Armor AC=16
    Let him come
    Activate Shocking Grasp
    Let him come
    Deliver the Touch (12 Damage I believe)
    Five Foot Step
    Activate Again
    Brace for Charge
    Took damage (Down to two)
    Miss on Touch
    Missed By Swing
    Electrocute him for 19

(I then rebuilt him as Magpie the Swap all instances of Shocking Grasp for Magic Missile Guy and killed my friend again)

He would have run efficiently for maybe one level and then been very subpar.

I got a little tired of him ridiculing my 9 HP and ability to "cripple" foes (it is called battlefield control) and shoot things with a crossbow (I had a working morningstar but I tried not to need it) so I decided to prove why you don't screw with a magic user.
    DSmaster21: The Dicey Cultist

I apologize if I ramble sometimes my Asperger's Syndrome causes me to talk a lot when trying to communicate. I may also get distracted so I ask forgiveness in advance.

A D12 of The Church of D20

Games: Doctor Who: Adventures in Space and Time, Shadowrun 5e, D&D 4e, Pathfinder, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire, Assorted Retroclones, D&D 5e.

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGirl

Mr. Farwell Billingsworth is a respectable English gentleman of 51 years, complete with dapper suit-coat, top hat, and monocle. To drive the point home, his equipment list includes an embroidered handkerchief. He enjoys a good cup of tea, and places great emphasis on dignity and proper manners...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...aaaaaand his class is barbarian. So in combat, he proceeds to completely flip out and beat the ever-loving crap out of his opponents with his cane.

He's been a smashing success with my group, especially given his dialogue, and I don't think he'll ever be forgotten.
    Quote Originally Posted by BootStrapTommy View Post
    Related thought: 5e D&D PC with Hermit background. Discovery is that the universe is just a 5e D&D campaign. Trade in herbal kit proficiency for a gaming set proficiency: 5e D&D. Your "scroll case stuffed full of notes of you studies"? The PHB, DMG, and MM.
    "You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant." -- Harlan Ellison

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post
    Mr. Farwell Billingsworth is a respectable English gentleman of 51 years, complete with dapper suit-coat, top hat, and monocle. To drive the point home, his equipment list includes an embroidered handkerchief. He enjoys a good cup of tea, and places great emphasis on dignity and proper manners...

Spoiler
    Show
    ...aaaaaand his class is barbarian. So in combat, he proceeds to completely flip out and beat the ever-loving crap out of his opponents with his cane.

He's been a smashing success with my group, especially given his dialogue, and I don't think he'll ever be forgotten.
    Interestingly, that sounds just like an NPC I created to serve as a villain. He was an adventurer in his youth, a barbarian, who was now retired and spent his days sipping tea in the mansion built from all that Lich gold. He was also pulling the strings of an army of roving criminals/religious fanatics in a bid to become a god. When the players put the pieces together and break into his mansion, he greets them while calmly sipping tea, gives them the explanation he feels they've earned, then throws the entire dining room table at them as a surprise attack. During the ensuing brawl, he beat the rogue to death with a chair and made the cleric eat his own torn off hand.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Bob View Post

Spoiler
    Show

So he's Berserker Axinhead from 8-bit theater?

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

I have a bad tendency to overthink things to the point of paralysis, and I've found one good way to avoid that is to play characters who can be best categorized as "kamikaze dumbasses".

Yoshi, Freelance Ninja

In my defense, I rolled up this guy in the 1990s, and the ninja craze was in full swing. A friend wanted me to make a character for his decidedly random homebrew RPG, so I made a three-foot-tall anthropomorphic rabbit (based very loosely on Sam of Sam & Max) with a katana, a big grin, and a coat of Rustoleum for camouflage. In the course of his career he bit an alien so hard that it sent their entire hive-mind into shock while trying to ride it like a horse, ticked off the Transdimensional Mafia while they were trying to steal a building, and got cursed by another PC.

Rodney
    In another friend's Mutants and Masterminds game where we were all playing teenagers with random superpowers, I played a character very obviously based on Largo from Megatokyo: a videogame-obsessed goofball with an unorthodox view of reality, and time-distorting powers. I remember him trying to get one of his teammates to explore a 'haunted' house with him, commenting "if the characters in these games just brought along a crowbar and a stepladder they'd take two, maybe three hours, tops." Then the game got serious, and I ended up dropping out.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Once upon a time our college gaming group included Byron. He was a great friend, a fine party member in any campaign, but we all cringed when he got the craving to run a game of his own. Still, he was too nice a guy to let inconsistent and imbalanced homebrewing and awkward stories keep us from hanging out. In time we learned to make our own fun in his games, but do so in an immersive rather than destructive way. And so . . .

Ser Llewellyn Forester
    - From what was at one point meant to be a game of Agone, but with over 20 pages of "adjustments" emailed to us. Not fully understanding what overrode or contradicted what, I simply decided to submit someone utterly ridiculous, and allow my friend to coach me into what fit his vision of the world. And so was born the extremely charismatic but troubled knight. Despite standing over seven feet tall and being a recognized and landed knight of the realm, Ser Llewellyn was quite mad in that he sincerely believed he was a Satyr. As such, his delusions had led to the disadvantage of an addiction . . . to sex. Like, honest to god game penalties if the character does not seal the deal addiction. Surely, this was an unplayable character in what was meant to be a fairly dark setting, no? But alas, my good friend Byron loved it and demanded the character be played "as-is." I will confess that while we never quite understood where our friend's short lived intrigue campaign was trying to go - it was utterly enjoyable to challenge myself to roleplay this man's delusions much like a randy Don Quixote

Sammy & Eddie
    - Ah yes, during our friend's Gundam kick. Not to be satisfied with any existing systems, Byron presented us with what came to be known as his "Mecha Manifesto" - a system he designed himself from the ground up. Sadly, we did not fully share Byron's friendly sense of madness and as such, though we understood how to make the human characters - found the near 13 rolls a turn customized mech portion a bit daunting. At this point many other friends had found polite ways to bow out. But thanks to overactive senses of guilt and no decent excuses, two of us remained. And since this only excited Byron that he could run a more "personalized" campaign, my other friend and I committed to the only thing that made sense at the time. . . .

We made street level beat cops Sammy & Eddie. Not incredibly bright, a bit out of shape, good hearted coffee and donut loving cops. We convinced him that for a truly "personal" story, we felt the real drama would be in following the lives of two very common men in caught up in the events of an epic time. Strangely enough this turned out to far and away be Byron's best game. He got to narrate all the amazing mech battles his imagination had been craving to let out, and we got to become embroiled in a story that started almost a light hearted spoof on the spy genre into a compelling story of simple people questioning their loyalties and forced to make terrible choices for a "greater good" they were being told of but didn't really understand.

Alternately, another friend had a tendency to run character grinder Cthulhu games where we all knew not to be too attached to any backstory, because we would be re-rolling in a session or two. And so when he advised he wanted to start up a Victorian England game circa the 1890's . . .

Tristan Wade
    - A tough as nails cowboy turned Pinkerton after some time spent in Deadwood. He had little more than a bit of high school education, didn't speak any foreign languages, and had zero starting occult knowledge. This man somehow survived a campaign that lasted over a year. Ancient book in a strange undead language bound in off-looking leather? Burn it partner - or he'll shoot you where you stand rather than see any more of this nonsense. Hunted by vampires in a setting where they take permanent wounds from silver? Load that shotgun with dimes and tell those bastards if they come any closer he'll aim at leg level - eternity is a long time to be a cripple. Buy time to back up to the horse, shoot them in the legs regardless, and run like hell. Etc. Fish-out-of-water survival was never so gratifying.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    Different group, same build, me and the DM knew it was the same character but the other players thought I was just running minor NPC's that would come and go. Got through four sessions before I let enough clues "slip," for them to figure it out.
    My party (or most of it) thinks I am playing a minotaur ??/warlock. Actually a changeling.

Last session the NPC I brought to the group keeps referring to "the other guy" that recruited him. The players just think I made a really good disguise check.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

At the moment, this is only a concept, but I will work this into my campaign if it kills me:

Smaug Paul.

The Dragon Libertarian.

19. - Top - End - #19

Once played a Koi Hengeyokai duelist. He was launched into adventuring because he was originally tasked with watching over a ridiculously powerful artifact (and ringing the bell if any trouble started, to wake up the *real* guardian, 'cause he was kind of a small fry himself). He snuck off to fool around with the local daimyo's daughter and the Celestial Brush was stolen while they were having snoo-snoo, so he was forced to track it down by my halfassed homebrew dragon goddess.

When he didn't look like a goldfish, he was Bishonen enough to pass for a chick and totally exploited this fact by wielding war fans for Bluff-based attack bonuses. He was planning to prestige into Warshaper (at a ludicrously low level) so that he could evolve breath weapons and become Gyrados.
    Last edited by The Oni; 2013-11-27 at 02:08 PM.
    Shield-eaters and world leaders have many likes alike

Freelance D20 Design Guy

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Smeagle View Post
    Once played a Koi Hengeyokai duelist. He was launched into adventuring because he was originally tasked with watching over a ridiculously powerful artifact (and ringing the bell if any trouble started, to wake up the *real* guardian, 'cause he was kind of a small fry himself). He snuck off to fool around with the local daimyo's daughter and the Celestial Brush was stolen while they were having snoo-snoo, so he was forced to track it down by my halfassed homebrew dragon goddess.

When he didn't look like a goldfish, he was Bishonen enough to pass for a chick and totally exploited this fact by wielding war fans for Bluff-based attack bonuses. He was planning to prestige into Warshaper (at a ludicrously low level) so that he could evolve breath weapons and become Gyrados.
    ... you played Magikarp?
    That's kind of amazing, and the worst part is, I'd love to hear about his adventures.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

I played Giles Georgie Geraldo, a flamboyantly gay dwarf rogue/barbarian who had a bright orange mohawk, went around in nothing but short-shorts and a leather vest, and relentlessly hit on the party fighter (who was in on the scheme). "Ye're kinda short for an elf. Got any dwarf in ye?" "No..." "Want some?" I did it as revenge on the DM for purposefully killing my previous character.

Then when Giles wore out his welcome and was also killed, I went with the most stereotypical pirate imaginable. I spent half a session trying pirate-themed pickup lines on the first female NPC we met, who happened to be a goblin barmaid, in an attempt to make the PC-killing DM as uncomfortable as possible. After that first character died I just lost all interest in trying to take that campaign seriously.
    Previous avatar by Sgt. Pepper.

Previous avatar by Akrim.elf.

Current avatar by Cdr.Fallout

Old Desert Sayings, my RPG blog (mostly Pathfinder homebrew).

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Responding to stress with rudeness is not the same as responding to stress with genocide.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    ... you played Magikarp?
    That's kind of amazing, and the worst part is, I'd love to hear about his adventures.
    They were awesome, but sadly came to a tragic and premature end.

He ended up with way high dex in hybrid form and at one point, critical hit an Orc while dual-wielding the fans. It did so much damage that the DM fluffed the crit as summoning actual cherry blossoms while the Orc's various pieces slowly slid off of his corpse and he fell over, samurai-single-stroke style. They went back to town and he went to sleep in fish form, underwater.

Meanwhile, another party member managed to be so insanely petty that he tried to get the entire party killed - twice - rather than cooperate with the new party member (not me), who he disliked IRL. I tore the character sheet in half out of frustration and, per GM rules, wasn't allowed to use Bishonen Magikarp again. In game, he had a blue dragon fry the character, underwater, and eat him like the fish stick he was. An appropriate, if unfortunate end.
    Last edited by The Oni; 2013-11-27 at 03:35 PM.

Freelance D20 Design Guy

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

The crazy crap that I have played...

I once tried to make a sorcerer with a sea-snake familiar he would use as a weapon. People use snakes as weapons in robberies! Why can't I use one as a sorcerer? He was never approved.

My first ever character was called 'the worst dwarf ever' by the DM because I readily befriended the half-orc the other PC played and thought far out of the box.

24. - Top - End - #24

In Pathfinder there's a Rakshasa that turns from a snake into a (ludicrously blinged-out) handheld weapon. You can get one as a familiar. Show your DM that and maybe he'll lighten up?

Freelance D20 Design Guy

25. - Top - End - #25

My most outrageous character was an Exalted character which I build as a master crafts man.

Imagine, young boy genius with a golden spanner/hammer/whatever able to fix anything...
    Spoiler
    Show

Then the GM put his foot down and said crafting had to be bought for every single type of material you know how to craft...on top of what type of crafting skill (i.e. Blacksmithing required Craft Blacksmith, Craft Iron, Craft Wood, Craft Leather, etc...to be able to make ANYTHING...)
    He just read the line: 'Characters who wish to master multiple crafts must take this ability multiple times. s to mean any material and any type of craft.

During the course of the campaign I therefore obligingly bought ALL of the possible materials (wood, stone, orichalcum, jade, gold, silver, iron, ...etc...) as a craft skill.

This made my character an awful lot weaker then any of the other players (and this included several Dragon blooded whereas I was a Solar Exalted and a Twilight caste to boot...) despite making it to every single game unlike most players who missed out on about 1 in 3 games (i.e. I got about a third more xp then most but given that I had 19 times the Craft skill...and I kept leveling it...)

My weapon of choice was a Warhammer I made myself which was made from 5 different alloys (all of the Magic Alloys were used) but which only did Bashing damage (another ruling by the GM...)(a lot of Bashing to be honest but even so only Bashing...until I started making myself better stuff which resulted in a warhammer worthy of an Exalted Warlord which also happened to be enchanted for Smithing which had the following stats: Speed -6, Accuracy +1, Damage +14B, Defense +1, Resources 5 (and then some, I spend about a quarter of a million of the Dragon Blooded currency on it, adventured across the globe to get the materials and studied the oldest artifacts known to anyone to design it...) with a minimum Strength needed of 5...

Slow, accurate and extremely durable (so I could block with any part of it) while hitting like a freight train in combat.
    I would usually only get one swing in, if that in the fights.

I also learned a lot of magic powers (mostly related to enchanting and enhancing items with a smattering of healing powers).

I also had the flaw that I could NOT, indeed would not be able to create anything worse then a Legendary item unless I spend a Willpower point (and because of GM ruling a diff 9 Willpower roll).
    This made it of course very, very difficult early on to stay under the radar from the Dragon Blooded.

So...character with Strength 5, Dex 4 and Sta 5 wielding a weapon doing +14 bashing damage and Athletics 5 ( I needed it to run away from all the people trying to kill me throughout the early part of the campaign...)

My character then had the Shattering Grasp charm...
    Now imagine what happened when I faced a Castle gate made from Steel (iron based), wood, several other materials which I had the craft skill for and which among other things used Blacksmithing for part of its creation...

Ok, ok, it does not sound too bad does it?

Times 2 damage or count my Str + athletics as twice as high as for the purpose of breaking something...

Then the GM decided I HAD to spend xp on some combat Charms to keep me competitive to the rest of the party...

A Charm that changed my damage from Bashing to Lethal or Lethal to Aggravated damage but with a twist...
    It only worked against inanimated objects and non-living things (i.e. a boat or a small golem).

It was a choice I did not mind overly much so meh.

And to top it of...a Skill based damage increaser against all inanimated objects, creatures, living creatures, ghosts, etc...
    But here he made a mistake...
    The new Charm cost a fair few motes to activate but had the following effect...

Increase your DAMAGE BASE by the number of DOTS in your CRAFTING skill (s).
    This was first made by a player who had 5 ranks in craft Soulsteel (and was allowed to craft anything he wanted as long as it was soulsteel without the need for other crafting skills).
    Armed with a Soulsteel warscythe he did something ridiculous like +18 aggravated damage on a normal swing (yes, a Warscythe with +13 aggravated damage was the base damage for this character...he did get the GM to approve the most ridiculous things...).

I however learned it and then was told since I was not an Abyssal it would only work on inanimated objects, etc...and not anything alive...(armour yes, person inside armour no, he takes damage as if the weapon is not enhanced...).

The GM by this point had however forgotten one little, itsy bitsy detail...

My craft dots consisted of 19 TIMES 5 dots...i.e. 95 added to my BASE damage.

The campaign progresses with mister Soulsteel stealing the show on all occasions from our Dawn caste warrior (and yes, an Abysal was travelling with us and nobody seemed to mind so my character who was terrified of having to face the thing in combat kept his mouth shut) and generally killing most thing quite handily to the point that the GM decided to throw something against the party (i.e. the Abysal...) that would not get minced in 2 turns of combat.

He send after us a platoon of First Age Golems and Warwalkers.
    (5 golems and 2 warwalkers)

The armour they wore was soo powerful that it would reduce all damage by 15 and players needed to roll to do damage.

The Dragon Blooded with their measly 12 aggravated damage with their enchanted weapons I made for them could not even hope to hurt these things unless they made a very, very good roll for their damage (roll 12 + any success of 1 for damage and need to score 16 success to do any damage at all...).
    Our Lunar did 9 aggravated damage each attack but could hit over a dozen times in a single round was even worse off...
    If he hit with all dice he would roll 19 dice for damage...and the Golems had 15 health levels the Warwalkers 32...
    Unless he was insanely lucky no way he would do damage.

Our Dawn caste Exalted did 'only' 16 aggravated damage so he and the Abysal were able to get a few points of damage in if they got lucky...
    Unlike the rest who needed to be insanely lucky to do the same thing.

Then the GM came to me and asked me what I would do...

My response was: 'I kill a Warwalker.'

The whole group started laughing at this...

I then proceeded to inform the party what I just was going to do...

Str 5 + 14 from warhammer of much personal use + 95 from crafting skills = 114 damage...
    Multiply this by 2 for use of Shattering Grasp charm which I was allowed to use while wielding my hammer...
    224 damage
    Use Third Circle spell that doubles damage for enemies you curse and designate (takes a free action when you are able to study the enemies thoroughly and given that these were creations I had recovered the Blue Prints for...)
    448 damage

Change the damage type from Bashing to Lethal...

I then said I would not mind rolling the dice but it would take some time... :).

I then checked and saw I could attack up to 5 times a round and proceeded to kill both Warwalkers and three of the Golems in a single round while the rest of the party pestered the remaining two until the next round when I destroyed them too...

I then proceeded to wipe the floor with a certain group of creatures which counted as crafted also when the GM had them swoop in so the result was that NOBODY would DARE come near my personal realm as I would destroy whole armies single handedly.
    A bunch of Abysals tried too and I destroyed their weapons first, then their armour, then everything they carried on themselves and left them butt naked on the battlefield.
    This was when I found out I threw a handful of GRAVEL and whatever inanimate object that gravel hit would be destroyed because of me throwing it...

The campaign collapse shortly after that last fight...as the GM gave up trying to contain us.

26. - Top - End - #26

...in a CAVE! With a BOX OF SCRAPS!

Freelance D20 Design Guy

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 448 damage is enough to say "I level the city" and proceed to do so with one swing.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

1E Chivalry and Sorcery has no multi-class characters. So I decided to do one anyway, based on the fact that while all other characters level up based on experience points, Alchemists level up based on completing certain alchemical experiments.

So Sir Cornelius the Philosophical was a Fighter, eventually knighted, who adventured in search of components which he took back home for his alchemical experiments.

---------------

I once created a TOON character for D&D - Ragnar Rabbit, the Hanna-Barbarian.

------------------

And in a wild west game, I told everyone that I was designing a character based on a western TV show. So nobody was too surprised when I showed up with Cali Yang, a Chinese martial artist, clearly based on Kwai-Chang Caine of Kung Fu. Several episodes into the game, he washed off the skin dye, and revealed himself as Cal Young, a federal agent based on the disguise artist Artemus Gordon of Wild, Wild West.
    Last edited by Jay R; 2013-12-03 at 11:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Do TOON characters really apply to this thread?
    I just sorta assumed they didn't because the entire point is they should be ridiculous.

I made zzzzzzz-DONK, a sentient mobile astronaut photocopying machine.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Mine is a classic. As in, over-used. Because the party was in severe need of a tank since all other players had made glass cannon characters, I rolled up 'Gruul'. Yes, that is a MtG reference.

Gruul was a Feral Mineral Warrior Half-Minotaur Goliath Barbarian / Fighter / Warblade. He even had a back story to explain it all: since the setting was divided according to an ongoing war of elemental kings, the feral half-minotaur (ape totem) barbarian had been captured in the mountains by a nation affiliated with the Earth according to their tradition of handling monstrous humanoids into guardians. The basic training had made Gruul a specialized fighter (sunderer). As a part of his promotion, he was mineralized (once again, according to tradition) and trained in a new style of fighting, making him a warblade. Ta-da!

The character had an intelligence score of 3, the lowest allowed for non-animals. Thus, when the starved runaway was picked from the bottom of a ditch and fed some meat, he became doggishly loyal to the party's frenzied berserker. Basically all his replies were broken English and pertained whether or not he could eat things and people the party had encountered. A running gag was that he would return from an alley chewing on fresh human limbs. Once he fell down an illusion-covered pit trap only to regenerate from the damage with fast healing and to climb back up due to his totem-granted climb speed. The character was really, really hard to hurt in a meaningful way in melee, and he would dish out quite some damage with the combination of his absurd strength score and power attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Joestar (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure)
    OH! MY! GOD!