New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #403 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by skinkatlarge View Post
    That Belkar. I'm happy the Giant noticed the problem with an illusionary prisoner and addressed it, before (as far as I know) any of us nit picking legions in the forum hit on it - score one for him!
    A few comics ago, when the Linear Guild was first captured, there was a side discussion on whether or not they would see through the illusion while in the Sapphire Guard's jail and how the illusion was made within the anti-magic field in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow
    I actually didn't like this one; it kind of sat as a "filler" comic to move the plot along. Eh, still belkar was good.
    Hey, after so much not-plot moving, I'll take what I can get.

<snarkiness>So why isn't this thread filled with calls for Hinjo to lose his palidinhood?</snarkiness>
    Miko Discordia avatar by ocato

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Re: OOTS #403 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    Every comic featuring Lord Shojo makes me laugh, even when he's not technically in the room. This will make the second time the OOTS have blown off Lord Shojo's request in order to take care of personal business. I wonder how he'll respond now!
    What are you talking about?! The business with the Linear Guild overnight didn't affect or delay anything else (at least, there's been no mention thereof).

Their business now is to meet with Shojo so he can have the freshly-resurrected Guy Baker (the wizard who met his demise on the way back from Cliffport) teleport them to Girard's Gate. They have neither blown it off nor pursued personal business in its lieu, and were in fact on the verge of being blown off reciprocally by Lord Shojo.

You're right about Shojo being a great character though. Any NPC canny enough to keep paladins in line (not to mention loyal and obedient) despite not himself being lawful gets my respect.

Ampersand - Why in the world would there be any reason to expect Hinjo to fall? He's never been seen as anything but solicitous, obedient and kind. Unlike Miko, who has made some few on-screen faux-pas and who has the additional emotional content of being an explicit antagonist to the party. That's not snarky, that's outright petty.
    Last edited by fangthane; 2007-01-20 at 04:01 PM.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

3. - Top - End - #93

SamuraiGirl

Don't worry about it fangthane, I think by now we all expect a certain amount of snarkiness from any of Ampersand's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    A few comics ago, when the Linear Guild was first captured, there was a side discussion on whether or not they would see through the illusion while in the Sapphire Guard's jail and how the illusion was made within the anti-magic field in the first place.
    I'm more curious about what any of that has to do with the lack of fan complaints about Belkar's illusion eating or not, honestly...
    Google query for the Giant's posts, for those of us who think they're way more interesting than yet another speculation thread but don't have time to read every thread on the forum to find one he's posting in.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

I forgot why Roy wanted to see Shojo, is it about the teleportation to the next gate? So is Wizard Guy alive again?

Retro Kerrigan from SC1. Sorry, I don't remember which forum user made this picture for me.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yous tricky Rick. Trying to make me think Miko had arrived early.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by fangthane View Post
    What are you talking about?! The business with the Linear Guild overnight didn't affect or delay anything else (at least, there's been no mention thereof).

Their business now is to meet with Shojo so he can have the freshly-resurrected Guy Baker (the wizard who met his demise on the way back from Cliffport) teleport them to Girard's Gate. They have neither blown it off nor pursued personal business in its lieu, and were in fact on the verge of being blown off reciprocally by Lord Shojo.
    You're right, I forgot that they hadn't left town yet. I guess I enjoyed the last time Lord Shojo got onto them about getting his wizard killed on a subquest so much, that I was hoping he would get a chance to do it again.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

"What happens when an obvious deception meets an oblivious object?" We now have the answer to that question. Not once, but twice, if you count Elan's association with the destruction of the catapults. Nice turnaround with the cat's food, but Roy's "spiritual kinship" bit was what really sold this one.
    Hiding the little one away so he doesn't get hurt...
    Belkar is Chaotic Evil because the Giant says so. Deal with it.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Why in the world would there be any reason to expect Hinjo to fall? He's never been seen as anything but solicitous, obedient and kind.
    Except in this comic he uses a bad word and indirectly insults Elan and Julian. Which proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that he's evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Solara
    Don't worry about it fangthane, I think by now we all expect a certain amount of snarkiness from any of Ampersand's posts.
    Does that make me infamous? Or just annoying?

I'm more curious about what any of that has to do with the lack of fan complaints about Belkar's illusion eating or not, honestly...
    It wasn't specifically about eating per say, just that it had been observed that the illusion had a few cracks in it the guards might have noticed.
    Last edited by Ampersand; 2007-01-20 at 07:33 PM.
    Miko Discordia avatar by ocato

9. - Top - End - #99

Quote Originally Posted by AyuVince View Post
    I forgot why Roy wanted to see Shojo, is it about the teleportation to the next gate? So is Wizard Guy alive again?
    Yes it is. And the Wizard Guy should be alive again, according to Shojo here;

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html
    Treasurer of the Fan Club. (And in desperate need of donations).

A fan before it was cool.

Probationary conscript of the Fan Club.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

10. - Top - End - #100

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    You're right, I forgot that they hadn't left town yet. I guess I enjoyed the last time Lord Shojo got onto them about getting his wizard killed on a subquest so much, that I was hoping he would get a chance to do it again.
    Hehe no argument on that score... I think "Teleport!" (coupled with the visual of throwing the wizard's skeleton) has to be just about my favourite one-word quote in the comic thus far. It most certainly deserves its own T-shirt, and a good deal of the humour is due to the build-up from Shojo.

Spoiler
    Show

He might get pretty cheesed though, when he's just seen the Order off to Girard's Gate and Miko staggers in, exhausted. Could be anything from grim resolve to belief that he's been had by a team of hucksters and their leader's deceased father.
    Don't bother trying to appeal to my better nature; I don't have one.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

I'd actually love to see shojo and Xycon converse; he seems like the only one witty and in control enough to hold his own in a battle of wits.

Xycon: Geez! Would you shut up about your cat already! God, you are teh stupidest city leader I have ever seen!

shinjo: Oh sorry; I was just trying to stall long enough for the paladin guard to run up the stairs and get about 10 feet behind you.

Xycon: WHAT?! *turns* There's no one here you idiot!

Shinjo: Yoink! *flees other direction*

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hehe no argument on that score... I think "Teleport!" (coupled with the visual of throwing the wizard's skeleton) has to be just about my favourite one-word quote in the comic thus far. It most certainly deserves its own T-shirt, and a good deal of the humour is due to the build-up from Shojo.

Spoiler
    Show

He might get pretty cheesed though, when he's just seen the Order off to Girard's Gate and Miko staggers in, exhausted. Could be anything from grim resolve to belief that he's been had by a team of hucksters and their leader's deceased father.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Well, Roy's dad originally came to Shojo when Shojo's clerics were "attempting to summon a celestial to dispense advice", and it'd presumably be hard for an evil ghost to get to where Tony was, to replace him, without some god stepping in. So Shojo probably won't just take Miko's skewed-by-obsession word for it.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Halfling in the Playground

Great comic. I absolutely loved Hinjo's "Uh, right" together with his facial expression. And, of course, fake Belkar's (not so) explicit language and gestures.

He he, "crisis averted". I wonder what level of LERTCON this case is on Shojo's scale.
    Last edited by nizwiz; 2007-01-21 at 09:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yay! Maybe we teleport to Dwarf's gate next comic, missing Xykon's invading army by mere seconds!
    Tee hee!

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105

MindFlayer

Meh - Cute, but seems "bridge-y". The good news about these bridge pieces is you know he's building to something on the other side of the river...

Later!

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Jewel Thief View Post
    Yay! Maybe we teleport to Dwarf's gate next comic, missing Xykon's invading army by mere seconds!
    They're not planning on heading to Kraagor's Gate next. They're planning to go to Gerard's Gate on the Western Continent. The same continent that 's father is being held.

"What are these Gates people keep talking about?"

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post

Hey, after so much not-plot moving, I'll take what I can get.

<snarkiness>So why isn't this thread filled with calls for Hinjo to lose his palidinhood?</snarkiness>

Because
    he is not a paladin .

He has no paladinhood to lose. Never has, never will. Read closely, and you'll see he's not even of a lawful alignment.

Rest of the thread ... *wakes up, looks around* Miko shown up yet? Xykon shown up yet? No? *Goes back to sleep*

Respectfully,

Brian P.

18. - Top - End - #108

Quote Originally Posted by pendell View Post
    Because
    he is not a paladin .

He has no paladinhood to lose. Never has, never will. Read closely, and you'll see he's not even of a lawful alignment.

Rest of the thread ... *wakes up, looks around* Miko shown up yet? Xykon shown up yet? No? *Goes back to sleep*

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    We are talking about Hinjo, the Paladin with the Scruffy goatee, not Shojo, the old dude with the cat.
    Last edited by Amon Star; 2007-01-23 at 02:45 PM.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ogre in the Playground

frown Re: OOTS #403 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Star View Post
    We are talking about Hinjo, the Paladin with the Scruffy goatee, not Shojo, the old dude with the cat.
    I wonder why so many readers mess up their names. I've seen quite often Shojo referred to as Shinjo. Hinjo is acknowledged as a paladin in #265.
    "And that's the story of how I become a paladin."
    The only thing we know is that it involved "Rectum". We never saw him do paladinish thingies and I would like to see what he would do if he saw Belkar free. Would he go all Miko-ish on the OOTS?
    Avatar: ruthless Parson (Erfworld).

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

*Hides face in embarrassment*

Right, right, I do get those two mixed up ...

Nevermind.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

He wouldn't follow Miko's path. He represents a different paladin archetype. He'd probably get very confused, and Belkar would somehow cover it up.
    Tee hee!

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mockingbyrd7 View Post
    Sweet! BTW, I don't really get the last joke (Roy on spiritual connection, or something? Eh??)
    "we are spiritually close, in that we both have to deal with nitwits"
    (Elan and Shinjo)

23. - Top - End - #113

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by skreweded View Post
    "we are spiritually close, in that we both have to deal with nitwits"
    (Elan and Shinjo)
    Is Shinjo the bastard child of Shojo and Hinjo?

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by fwiffo View Post
    Is Shinjo the bastard child of Shojo and Hinjo?
    How is that even possible?

Spoiler
    Show
    With a Polymorph Any Object and a lot of beer.

25. - Top - End - #115

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    And also...
    Spoiler
    Show
    a helpful loan from Elan's stash of magical do-dads

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post

Spoiler
    Show
    And don't tell me that if we could all just wander into D&Dlan, that experiment wouldn't be the MOST common way to spend a bored evening at home with no television.

Because it would.
    Spong.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Many people here have the worst. Spelling. Ever.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Gandal View Post
    Many people here have the worst. Spelling. Ever.
    Uhm. How is that actually possible ? If someone has the WSE (C), then nobody else can have it, or his (or her) spelling would, by definition, not be the WSE (C). So it is not possible for n > 1 people to have the WSE (C).

Lycar

PS: Also i already told you a billion-zillion times not to always exaggerate so much !