New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Are there any good generic/universal RPG rulebooks at 250 pages or less out there?

I'm open to recommendations .

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Are there any good generic/universal RPG rulebooks at 250 pages or less out there

Fuzion, but honestly it's such a skeletal system that you might as well not bother. It doesn't natively cover magic or much of anything else.

I think Big Eyes, Small Mouth (the original anyway) was well under 250 pages; my version was basically notebook-sized (approximately A5 pages).

I'm not sure if Tri-Stat or Unisystem really have any kind of setting/genre-independent published version; simply for that reason, they're more multi-genre than generic.

Basic Role-Playing probably skirts the 250 page limit, depending on edition.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Are there any good generic/universal RPG rulebooks at 250 pages or less out there

Tri-Stat dX is universal, freely available, and clocks in at 106 pages.

You can find it here.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    Tri-Stat dX is universal, freely available, and clocks in at 106 pages.

You can find it here.
    Wicked! I figured Tri-Stat would meet the standard if it was separately published.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Cortex is 165.
    Last edited by Zavoniki; 2014-01-08 at 03:55 AM.
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    I'm open to recommendations .
    Fate Accelerated Edition is 32 pages long. It's larger cousin, Fate Core, is 302 pages.

7. - Top - End - #7

PirateWench

Why so obsessed with page count?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by CombatOwl View Post
    Fate Accelerated Edition is 32 pages long. It's larger cousin, Fate Core, is 302 pages.
    What I came here to suggest. I'd also like to point out that I have no idea what Fate Core is 300 pages, because they easily could have cut out a lot of the redundancies and made a more concise product. FAE is basically Fate Core anyway, so anybody who's familiarized themselves with FAE could skim Fate Core and understand that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorsa View Post
    Because long books take effort to read, most likely. Especially true when it's a generic system that doesn't even have a setting to pull you along with.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Tri-Stat dX is one of my favorite generic systems.

However, if you really want dirt-simple, I'd look up Risus. It'll probably take you half an hour to read the whole rule set.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd recommend Fate Accelerated, which is the rules-light game FATE always knew it could become. It's pay-what-you-want for download

Also, Savage Worlds Deluxe, Explorer's Edition is universal pretty awesome, a lot more trad-style, and clocks in at 192. It's quite universal, but also has a toolkit for D&Desque fantasy built into the core.

The first is highly narrative and rules-light. The second is kind of rules-intermediate, with more crunchy bits. Pick your poison.

11. - Top - End - #11

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    Because long books take effort to read, most likely. Especially true when it's a generic system that doesn't even have a setting to pull you along with.
    But doesn't that also depend on amount and size of pictures, general layout, font size and word count?
    Last edited by Lorsa; 2014-01-08 at 10:46 AM.
    Blue text for sarcasm is an important writing tool. Everybody should use it when they are saying something clearly false.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

But doesn't that also depend on amount and size of pictures, general layout, font size and word count?
    Yeah, but it's still a good general indicator. Wordcount would be better, but when's the last time you tried to find the wordcount on one of your RPGs?
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

13. - Top - End - #13

Mutants and Masterminds 2nd ed almost counts at 257 pages, but these include the covers and introductory adventures, not to mention a lot of full-page pictures. Cut that out and you easily make it under 250.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

It's not an obsession, truly. I merely want to pare down the list of generic/universal RPGs to those that typically facilitate quick construction of adventures and expeditious mechanics resolution.

Besides which, I already have GURPS/Hero/Mutants & Masterminds/Basic Roleplaying/Savage Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Zavoniki View Post
    Cortex is 165.
    Cortex intrigued me when I learned which systems use it. It is rather unfortunate that the price for a copy of the rules is inflated.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

For good generic-ness, I would recommend M&M 3e over 2e. 3e takes some bold steps that make it truly stand out as a flexible system, while I've personally found 2e to be a touch clunky by holding on to too many d20isms that don't work for what it's trying to do.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by tensai_oni View Post
    Mutants and Masterminds 2nd ed almost counts at 257 pages, but these include the covers and introductory adventures, not to mention a lot of full-page pictures. Cut that out and you easily make it under 250.
    It also has an entire chapter that's basically the history of comic books and its ages, which is largely irrelevant if you're not using it as a superhero system.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Cortex intrigued me when I learned which systems use it. It is rather unfortunate that the price for a copy of the rules is inflated.
    Uhm... Wow that is quite inflated. Book is not worth 60$.

I suggest the currently 5$ PDF instead.
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Savage Worlds is great.

Basic Roleplay from Chaosium is pretty excellent too.

19. - Top - End - #19

FATE and GURPS are opposite ends of the spectrum. I recommend FATE.
    Re: 100 Things to Beware of that Every DM Should Know

93. No matter what the character sheet say, there are only 3 PC alignments: Lawful Snotty, Neutral Greedy, and Chaotic Backstabbing.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

I've been using Mythic Role Playing. The art is between mediocre and bad, but I'm really enjoying the actual meat of the game. It took me a little while and some testing to get a feel for it, but it only weighs in at 146 pages, including things like character sheets. I ran a fantasy yeti hunt campaign with it and I plan to run a hard sci-fi campaign with it next.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

HeroQuest 2nd edition is 134 pages, including the material about Glorantha. Fate Accelerated Edition/Fate Core has already been recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Fudge is 108 pages, and free. The d6 system has been released for free as well, and I think it clocks in at 200ish. Technically there are multiple versions, but they are all basically the same.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Planetar

Gotta agree with Savage Worlds. Great game, great game.
    Signatures are so 90's.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeGuitarrem View Post
    Yeah, but it's still a good general indicator. Wordcount would be better, but when's the last time you tried to find the wordcount on one of your RPGs?
    Copy the text into Word, check the word count.

25. - Top - End - #25

You have .pdfs of all gamebooks you own?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

GURPS lite is below that threshold.
    Kungaloosh!

27. - Top - End - #27

PirateWench

It's not an obsession, truly. I merely want to pare down the list of generic/universal RPGs to those that typically facilitate quick construction of adventures and expeditious mechanics resolution.

Besides which, I already have GURPS/Hero/Mutants & Masterminds/Basic Roleplaying/Savage Worlds.
    Perfectly understandable! But isn't that a better question then? Generic RPGs that facilitate quick construction of adventures and expeditious mechanics resolution? I don't really see page count being involved in answering that question.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Fate Core is technically 300 pages, but it's actually a large font on small pages. If you used a font size like in D&D 3rd Edition, it would probably be well under 100 pages.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, I didn't say it wasn't possible. But it's certainly more convenient to do a pagecount skim and chop things up into "short/long".
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

30. - Top - End - #30

PirateWench

I had a check and the nWoD corebook has a 222 page count (including the index) and it is sort of generic as you can easily make it into a medieval type game by replacing 2-3 skills.