New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Awakened Template?

Where is it? I can't find it in the SRD.
    I'm playing an Awakened Cat Paladin, and the spell info is good, but I understand there's a template out there that's better. Just lookin' for it.

-[edit]Also, while we're at it, what's the damage for a tiny sized rapier and tiny sized Scythe?
    Last edited by Jarl; 2007-01-21 at 05:03 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Awakened Template?

I've never seen a template. Perhaps you're thinking of the anthropomorphic races section of Savage Species?

And... how's your cat going to wield a rapier? Being awakened doesn't give it opposable thumbs or make it bipedal... To answer the question, though: if a Medium weapon does 1d6, the Tiny equivelant does 1d3. You step from 1d6 to 1d4 at Small, and then from 1d4 to 1d3 to get to Tiny.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I think he means "catfolk". They're humanoid.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    I think he means "catfolk". They're humanoid.
    But then... why would he need to be awakened...? Are catfolk animals?

5. - Top - End - #5

...oh yeah. Missed that.

Maybe, uh... spell-stitch hands onto it?
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    ...oh yeah. Missed that.

Maybe, uh... spell-stitch hands onto it?
    ...Spell-stitched is a template for undead which allows them to cast spells innately.

There is, however, a special weapon ability that lets a creature without thumbs to wield it. I have no idea what it's called or where you'd find it, though.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

7. - Top - End - #7

Oh yeah, I remember! Staples!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

He'll mean a cat with the Awaken spell cast on it. That's it - look up the spell "Awaken Animal" or whatever it's call, and just apply the effects to a cat to get the character. Not sure what you'd do for ECL though.
    A one worm armoury. Proficient with none of it.

Lorr Cordasco, Telepath, Lost and Gone Forever

GiTP Murder game

9. - Top - End - #9

I WILL round this Cape, even if I have to keep sailing until doomsday!
    Engaged in A Spat with Jibar.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Decken by Ceika
    Spoiler
    Show
    Devil Lord-to-be and proud member of the Baatezu Lovers club!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malachite View Post
    He'll mean a cat with the Awaken spell cast on it. That's it - look up the spell "Awaken Animal" or whatever it's call, and just apply the effects to a cat to get the character. Not sure what you'd do for ECL though.
    Well, ECL-wise, it's basically the same thing as a natural lycanthropic werecat (yes, you can make a werehousecat if you use a Small creature as the base) except it can still talk and cast spells in animal form but can never shift to hybrid or human form. That template's worth +3 LA, no racial HD. If anything, I'd say the Awakened Cat is less powerful than that, since it loses a whole lot of item slots, requires customized armor, and (most importantly) has no opposable thumbs to grip any items (not to mention the RP aspects of an Awakened Cat). That basically means your party has to dress you up every morning. Oh, and no rods, staves, wands, scrolls, or weapons for you (well, I suppose you could use a scroll if somebody else held it open so you could read it). You may also run into difficulties with somatic components, but it depends on how merciful your DM is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Well, ECL-wise, it's basically the same thing as a natural lycanthropic werecat (yes, you can make a werehousecat if you use a Small creature as the base) except it can still talk and cast spells in animal form but can never shift to hybrid or human form. That template's worth +3 LA, no racial HD. If anything, I'd say the Awakened Cat is less powerful than that, since it loses a whole lot of item slots, requires customized armor, and (most importantly) has no opposable thumbs to grip any items (not to mention the RP aspects of an Awakened Cat). That basically means your party has to dress you up every morning. Oh, and no rods, staves, wands, scrolls, or weapons for you (well, I suppose you could use a scroll if somebody else held it open so you could read it). You may also run into difficulties with somatic components, but it depends on how merciful your DM is.
    Erm... how to pick this apart...

Okay, first, an awakened cat is nothing like a werecat; it has none of the abilities that makes a werecat a werecat. Cats also have exactly the same body slots as a humanoid; they just need to have some items slightly modified (they can wear 'gloves' and boots, for example, on their feet), and I don't see the problem with bracers, goggles, hats, armour (barding) or amulets.

Also, creatures can always make somatic gestures in their natural form; you don't need hands. Otherwise you couldn't have a unicorn cleric.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Okay, first, an awakened cat is nothing like a werecat; it has none of the abilities that makes a werecat a werecat.
    Sorry. By that I meant "It should be no more powerful than a werecat," since you could get a similar effect by playing a werecat in animal form and just never shifting out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

It's a polydactyl cat. I guess. The DM just said "Like Puss in Boots", so he has thumbs now.

-Okay, no awakened template (despite what I was told), so I guess it doesn't matter.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtarthio View Post
    Sorry. By that I meant "It should be no more powerful than a werecat," since you could get a similar effect by playing a werecat in animal form and just never shifting out of it.
    Plus an alternate form that's humanoid, damage reduction versus silver, and so on. A cat with opposable thumbs has very little advantage in any respect over a normal race (str -8, dex +4, 3d6 int, +2 wis and -2 to +0 cha), even a LA of +1 would be fairly harsh. The skill modifiers are offset by the overall penalty to ability scores, and being tiny is a plus and a minus on it's own.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    It's a polydactyl cat. I guess. The DM just said "Like Puss in Boots", so he has thumbs now.
    You'll want to use the anthropomorphic animals from Savage Species. It'll do exactly what you want - make a bipedal cat that can talk, wield weapons, etc.
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

16. - Top - End - #16

um, there's an item in the Savage species book That gives you 2 arms, Called "Arms of the Naga" or for a slightly cheaper method, "Gloves of man"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nah, go with an Awakened Polydactyl cat. Take Zincorium's stats ( (str -8, dex +4, 3d6 int, +2 wis and -2 to +0 cha) but give +2 Charisma because they are so bloody cute.
    No LA though. Considering you can't carry anything or do reasonable non-spell damage, an LA is just adding insult to injury. A better metaphore: an LA would be the straw that broke the kitty's back.
    Last edited by Wehrkind; 2007-01-29 at 05:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Logic Ninja : Oh my god that was beautiful. Man. I... wow. This thread can be locked now, Wehrkind won it. Here
    "We know Elvis is dead for any relevant values of certain." - BWL
    I am now offering conversion to my Church of Stabiclese, Neutral God of Buffing Up and Whacking Things, Regardless of Facing. All those who love either "Buffing Up" or "Whacking Things" and don't particularly care about which direction the target is facing at the time are welcome!