New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Alternate Ultimate Magi

What would be some good combinations for Ultimate Magus aside from the traditional Sorcerer/Wizard? My wife's 8th level Warmage wanting to learn wizardry got me thinking about this, since said character could safely oppose Evocation.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Alternate Ultimate Magi

Duskblade/wizard makes for some good int synergy and you get a bit more hp and BAB than the sorceror/wizard version.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

3. - Top - End - #3

The Ultimate mage? You mean, asides from taking levels in Archmage?

Weeeeellll... a Warmage/Beguiler would be interesting to see...
    Quote Originally Posted by Starsinger View Post
    You sir, are my hero.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Nar Demonbinder/Wizard.

Ask your DM can you do the adaptation of UM to allow two spontaneous classes and then do Knights of the Weave for your wife. Will add some utility spells to your list like flight and cure wounds.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

do you mean alternate prepare classes she could look at for warmage, or alterante combos in general? For the Warmage, I would say wizard is the best.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Wizard/Beguiler, for Int synergy.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Beguiler/Duskblade, for Arcane Channeled Overwhelm.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Wizard/Beguiler, for Int synergy.
    Also you can specialize and get great use out of the narrow beguiler spell list.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 2/Incantatrix 2/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 9

All sorts of metamagic fun.

Sublime Chord has a wierd progression similar to Nar Demonbinder, but better.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    Wizard 5/Mage of the Arcane Order 2/Incantatrix 2/Bard 1/Sublime Chord 1/Ultimate Magus 9

All sorts of metamagic fun.

Sublime Chord has a wierd progression similar to Nar Demonbinder, but better.
    Where to start?
    First Bard 1 doesn't give you 1st lvl spontaneous spells.
    Second you will need a HUGE int to meet the skill points of Sublime Chord (especially if you take it in that order),
    Third UM ability specifically says it increases your casting class with the lowest caster level at lvls 1,3, and 7. Bard is your lowest caster class, though how that interacts with how Sublime Chord determines its caster level is a HUGE dm rule headache (Sublime Chord sets all arcane caster levels equal to the Sublime Chord level).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Where to start?
    First Bard 1 doesn't give you 1st lvl spontaneous spells.
    Second you will need a HUGE int to meet the skill points of Sublime Chord (especially if you take it in that order),
    Third UM ability specifically says it increases your casting class with the lowest caster level at lvls 1,3, and 7. Bard is your lowest caster class, though how that interacts with how Sublime Chord determines its caster level is a HUGE dm rule headache (Sublime Chord sets all arcane caster levels equal to the Sublime Chord level).
    The Skill problem should be solvable by taking the Able Learner feat. I'd have to read the text of how Sublime Chord interacts with your caster level to figure out how it would work with Ultimate Magus. I don't have the book, so I'll defer to the judgements of regulars who do. I just remember that it uses Bard/Sorcerer spellcasting but went up to 9th level spells in 10 class levels.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Person_Man View Post
    The Skill problem should be solvable by taking the Able Learner feat. I'd have to read the text of how Sublime Chord interacts with your caster level to figure out how it would work with Ultimate Magus. I don't have the book, so I'll defer to the judgements of regulars who do. I just remember that it uses Bard/Sorcerer spellcasting but went up to 9th level spells in 10 class levels.
    If you take Bard 2 (for 1st lvl spells) you should be able be able to buy all the neccessary skills cross class (thus takes 2 points), but even though they are cross class, just 1 level in bard is enough to move the maximum to your HD+3. But yes able learner helps alot. The way you had your build you need an int of 20+ at lvl 1.

You don't have complete mage or complete arcane?
    Ultimate Magus is available free here as an excerpt (also in Complete Mage)
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...061010a&page=3

If you need to read the text of sublime chord I can't help you.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

This might seem silly but if you want Int synergy, the Cerebremancer is kinda cool. Though since Psionics were outlawed in the world (they might not exist, I'm still fuzzy on the details of the prohibition) you could explain it as hidden lore. Player: "It's not psionics, it's hidden lore!"

DM: "Oops, you just lost you're spell book."

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by MeklorIlavator View Post
    do you mean alternate prepare classes she could look at for warmage, or alterante combos in general? For the Warmage, I would say wizard is the best.
    Alternate combos.

I mean Wizard/Beguiler, forbidding Illusion and Enchantment, makes for a fairly formidable combination.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM