New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default persistent spell

Question.

Can I use persistent spell to cast Persistent Haste on myself?
    Question stems from it saying personal or fixed range.
    Always attack a man’s strengths, No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort. Up the middle that’s where the action is. And it’s the same in life. Don’t run away, attack them head on as their coming at you at full speed. Because that my friend is living.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: persistent spell

No. Haste has a range of Close, which is not personal or fixed.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Splendor View Post
    Question.

Can I use persistent spell to cast Persistent Haste on myself?
    Question stems from it saying personal or fixed range.
    q.v. second post in thread.

Ironically, though, if you researched a personal version of Haste, it would be a lower level, making it easier to Persist upon yourself.

Isn't magic grand?
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    Ironically, though, if you researched a personal version of Haste, it would be a lower level, making it easier to Persist upon yourself.

Isn't magic grand?
    Or, if your gonna do that kind of thing anyway, just save yourself a feat or two and just outright research an 8th-level spell that grants you the benefits of haste for a full day.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

5. - Top - End - #5

Swift Haste (level 2) is Personal-range. You can Persist that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I doubt that there is any way short of insanity that you (general, not specific) can claim that a one-round spell (and low-level for that reason) can be persisted fairly.

7. - Top - End - #7

Um, "fairly"? It's a valid target, thus you can persist it. It's also lower-level because it only affects one person, not your whole party; I'd say that's worth a level drop, so yeah, it is fair.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Persistent swift haste sounds a bit oxymoronic.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

A spell that only lasts for one round should NEVER be made persistent. That just screams of Wensleydale, Cheddar, Stilton, Brie, Gouda, Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Camembert and every other cheese you could care to mention!

10. - Top - End - #10

Why not? Persistent Swift haste is actually well-balanced with a hypothetical Persistent Haste, which wouldn't exactly be an overpowering use of a 9th level slot.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

It just feels wrong. A spell that only lasts one round should not be able to be adapted with a simple feat to last all day. A standard haste spell, by all means, but not a swift one.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't exactly call a +6 spell level adjustment "simple". At least in-character anyway. It represents a pretty heavy effort on the part of the spellcaster.

Same goes for feats in general once you take into account how few most characters get.

13. - Top - End - #13

HalflingRangerGuy

Musical Metamagic Persistent Swift Hasted half-elf RoD substitution level bard FTW. Gyukgyukgyuk
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

You know, if I ever had to deal with a character who was hasted all the time, I'd have to harken back to old AD&D and make them age faster.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Really, persistent swift haste isn't abusive at all. You're hasting an arcane spellcaster and spending a high level spell to do it.

Arcane casters are the ones that benefit the least from Haste, pretty much all they get is a +1 bonus to AC and reflex saves, and +30 to speed, for an 8th level spell. That's not very impressive.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Now persistent wraithstrike on the other hand is broken, not persistent swift haste.

There is another spell that works like wraithstrike but is the first ranged attack of the round. I am trying to remember what it is, which classes have it, and is it persistable.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by oriong View Post
    Really, persistent swift haste isn't abusive at all. You're hasting an arcane spellcaster and spending a high level spell to do it.

Arcane casters are the ones that benefit the least from Haste, pretty much all they get is a +1 bonus to AC and reflex saves, and +30 to speed, for an 8th level spell. That's not very impressive.
    OTOH, you might be hasting a Duskblade.
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by oriong View Post
    According to the WotC Spell index, swift haste is only on the Ranger spell list. So you'd be hasting a divine caster. A divine caster who has no 8th level spell slots without some major Epic feat investment.

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    OTOH, you might be hasting a Duskblade.
    It's a personal spell, so the duskblade would have to cast it himself. And it's not on the duskblade spell list.

For a character to make a Persistent swift haste, that character would need:

• A level of Cleric
    • Investment in Nightsticks or Extra Turning for 7+ turn attempts per day
    • 3 additionalfeats (Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell))
    • Wisdom 14+ and 8 ranger levels or Wisdom 12+ and 10 ranger levels

And at least the ranger levels would detract from any arcane spellcasting class or duskblade levels.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that doesn't stop a wizard researching a 2nd-level personal-only version of haste. I don't have an issue with that version of the spell, but I just really don't like the idea of a one-round spell lasting all day, no matter what its eventual level!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

archivist... 'nuff said

21. - Top - End - #21

Even in the case of the archivist you're hardly being abusive. It's still an 8th level spell whose primary use is combat being cast only on a non-combatant class (the archivist isn't as bad as the wizard/sorcerer but he's not even as good as the bard). So, it's hardly that big an issue.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Well, that doesn't stop a wizard researching a 2nd-level personal-only version of haste.
    No, it doesn't. But, as has been pointed out, haste is a suboptimal buff for a wizard.

A cleric with divine power, on the other hand... Yeah, that's the character that'll benefit most from researching his or her own version.

I don't have an issue with that version of the spell, but I just really don't like the idea of a one-round spell lasting all day, no matter what its eventual level!
    It's not all that different from a 1 min./level spell jumping up to effectively all day (fly to overland flight). And you'll note it is three times the spell-level increase.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a lot to be said for moving Divine Power onto the Paladin list only, as it is.

24. - Top - End - #24

I doubt that there is any way short of insanity that you (general, not specific) can claim that a one-round spell (and low-level for that reason) can be persisted fairly.
    You know, the English language gives one a great, albeit slightly archaic, word to refer to a general person.
    "One" is the word one uses to refer to a non-specific person. Don't you love it? :)
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Heh. I can't even claim lateness of hour when I wrote that post, but yes, I had overlooked that word. Then again, people constantly complain that my prose is sesquipedalian!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Heh. I can't even claim lateness of hour when I wrote that post, but yes, I had overlooked that word. Then again, people constantly complain that my prose is sesquipedalian!
    No need to become atrabilarious, I'm sure your eleutherarchy will run on without disruption.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

You superannuated nincompoop! How dare you have the temerity to insinuate that I am melancholy and somewhat disconnected from reality!

Churl, upon thy eyes I throw, all the power this charm doth owe, and when thou wakest, let love forbid Sleep his seat upon your eyelid. Awaken when I am gone, for I must now to Oberon.
    Last edited by Caelestion; 2007-01-26 at 07:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Am I going to have to get a dictionary to understand this conversation?
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #29

Imagine how I feel, being the one who started it... What was the topic about again?
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Persistent spells :) Then again Squishy, geriatric halfwits are without equal!