New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Race: +2 WIS or CHA with no LA

Is there any race with +2 to WISDOM/CHARISMA but no LA? Because lots of races have +2 on the other stats, but cannot seem to find one with WIS/CHA. I dont care if its official or not.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Closed Account

Default Re: Race: +2 WIS or CHA with no LA

Spellscale. Though I may have misunderstood the question.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

If it doesn't need to be official, make it yourself.
    You could take planetouched as a starting point. Be prepared for lots of yelling from narrow-minded rules fanatics though ("+2 to a mental stat warrants a +1 LA")
    Ein gutes Gedicht ist nicht dazu da, die Welt zu verbessern – es ist selbst ein Stück verbesserte Welt.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by squishycube View Post
    You could take planetouched as a starting point. Be prepared for lots of yelling from narrow-minded rules fanatics though ("+2 to a mental stat warrants a +1 LA")
    And you give them our gray elves and spellscales as counter-examples.

Seriously, you need two mental stats to balance one physical stat, but mental stat bonuses require LAs? OMGWTFBBQ?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

"+2 to a mental stat warrants a +1 LA"
    Thats just plain silly... Sun Elves have +2 INT and are far from broken...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lesser Aasmiar (Player's Guide to Faerun) have +2 to both Wisdom and Charisma, and a +0 level adjustment.
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

7. - Top - End - #7
    Closed Account

I believe one of the things that make aasimar a LA +1 race is the big shiny outsider (native) thing written on the type (subtype) line.

Hey, since when do people use charisma, anyway?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Equality for Blues! 1 pp does not an LA make!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    I believe one of the things that make aasimar a LA +1 race is the big shiny outsider (native) thing written on the type (subtype) line.
    That seems to be the opinion of the people that wrote the Player's Guide to Faerun, too. Near the end of the book they have a "Lesser Aasimar" with no LA. The only difference is that the outsider (native) type is changed to humanoid (planetouched), therebye giving them the combined vulnerabilities of both the humanoid (charm person) and outsider (banishment) types.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Closed Account

Oh yeah. I have the book. That's why I stated that.

Otherwise, I would be clueless.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestion View Post
    Equality for Blues! 1 pp does not an LA make!
    Dromites too!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post

Hey, since when do people use charisma, anyway?
    Hence 'Lesser' Aasimar. They're Humanoid (Planetouched) rather than Outsider (Native).
    “I promise, we will find all your moms. And I'm gonna tell!.”- Wonder Woman

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

i don't like the lesser planetouched. even though they aren't different types, the stat bonuses are nice. and there are several other la +0 other typed races: dusklings, killoren, daelkyr half-blood, warforged, elans. 1 construct, 2 fey, and 2 abberations.

but i give half-elves +2 cha, and take away their bonuses to diplomacy and GI. it makes them less sucky.
    "The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words ... English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by squishycube View Post
    +2 to a mental stat warrants a +1 La

And you give them our gray elves and spellscales as counter-examples.
    Both of which are unblanced for 0 LA, but too weak for 1 LA. Like hobgoblins.

Seriously, you need two mental stats to balance one physical stat, but mental stat bonuses require LAs? OMGWTFBBQ?
    Half-orcs got the shaft hard, it is known.

In any case having stat bonuses that balance does not equal a balanced race. A race that had -10 to cha and +10 to str would not be balanced and vice versa.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bosh View Post
    +2 to a mental stat warrants a +1 La
    Except, you know, it doesn't. Even according to the DMG. +2 to a mental stat is worth -2 to just about any other stat.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

It comes from some idea that since casters are awesome, a race that grants a mental stat bonus "has" to have an LA. Which is ridiculous with the whole "physical stats are worth more" thing. Besides the Grey/Sun elves, and the spellscales, and who knows how many other WoTC approved LA0 races with mental bonuses (though usually with physical penalties that are unfair by their rules).
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Er . . . yeah, fair sure a mental ability score bonus doesn't warrant a +1 LA. If you go easy on the spiffy abilities, pretty sure you could give something a mental ability score bonus, no ability score penalties, and it wouldn't be all that unbalanced.
    My own homebrew races aren't examples of this. I fie on game balance. But at least I know when I'm fieing on it.
    http://z7.invisionfree.com/Crest_of_...p?showtopic=66
    and
    http://z7.invisionfree.com/Crest_of_...p?showtopic=49
    include a couple of homebrew races that fit the bill, the magi and the ghost elves. (Ghost elves, I indirectly lifted primary components of the background story, name, and glowy skin from some Dragon article or another. If you're concerned about that stuff, change it.) The magi were designed for a campaign where they're the only humans who can cast wizard/sorcerer spells, so the arcane fatigue might not make sense in your game. At all. I advise handing them penalties to Strength and/or Constitution to balance 'em out after dropping arcane fatigue. Hack and butcher at those things as you please; I make no claim to something that cost me nothing to make and the large bulk of it was yoinked from one place or another.

18. - Top - End - #18

Try the Buomman, +2 WIS. The only problem is... they can't speak. You have to take Nonverbal Spellcasting to cast spells.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Anthromorphic bat or toad get +6 wisdom with no LA.

They're not really worth it though. Both have 5 ft. land speed though the bat has a 20 ft. fly speed (average) to make up for it. Bat is better than Toad due both having -4 strength and -2 charisma but the toad having -2 dex as well. Bat also has favoured class druid so -4 strength doesn't matter so much.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Closet_Skeleton View Post
    Anthromorphic bat or toad get +6 wisdom with no LA.

They're not really worth it though. Both have 5 ft. land speed though the bat has a 20 ft. fly speed (average) to make up for it. Bat is better than Toad due both having -4 strength and -2 charisma but the toad having -2 dex as well. Bat also has favoured class druid so -4 strength doesn't matter so much.
    Yeah, the whole anthropomorphic animal thing is rather...wacky. Anthropormorphic bat druids do pwn though, since the wisdom bonus is massive and you aren't going to care about your strength once you get wild shape, and until then your magic fanged attack wolf will cover for you.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."
    - Thomas Jefferson

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shaka gl View Post
    Is there any race with +2 to WISDOM/CHARISMA but no LA? Because lots of races have +2 on the other stats, but cannot seem to find one with WIS/CHA. I dont care if its official or not.
    Spellscale is generally considered optimal for Charisma builds (+2 Cha, -2 Con).

Star Elf would also be good, if you're not into lizards (+2 Cha, -2 Con). Also gets a ghost touch ability at night. They're 3.0, in Unapproachable East, which would normally be Faerun-specific but they're also extraplanar and not native to Faerun, so it's fairly plausable you might find them in another campaign setting.

The Magic-Blooded racial template (+0 LA) can be applied to any base race for +2 Cha, -2 Wis, but it sounds like you need Wis. If not, then a Magic-Blooded Star Elf could be interesting (+4 Cha, -2 Wis, -2 Con). For the racial templates, check Crystalkeep's 3.0 templates:

http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules...-Templates.pdf

The Tortle race from Mystara/Red Steel (updated to 3.5 in Dragon #315) I think has +2 Wis, can't remember the minus... can't seem to find any others.

Changeling from Dragon #304 has +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str, -2 Con, but it's 3.0 and I think it's been superceded with the Changeling in Eberron.

Here's something odd... Ice Para-Genasa (Dragon #297): +4 Con, +2 Wis, -2 Dex, -2 Cha. Chill metal 1/day.

22. - Top - End - #22

These are all the races I know about with a Wis or Cha bonus and no LA:

Star Elf: +2 Cha, -2 Con, Unapproachable East.
    Spellscale: +2 Cha, -2 Con, Races of the Dragon.

LA +0 Aasimar: +2 Cha.
    LA+0 Feytouched: +2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Con.
    (Both found on WotC website).

Buoman: +2 Wis, -2 Cha, Planar Handbook.
    Vanara: -2 Str, +2 Int, +2 Wis, Oriental Adventures.
    Jermlaine: -6 Str, +6 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Int, +6 Wis, -6 Cha, Monster Manual 2 (warning 3.0 often = broken).

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Even according to the DMG. +2 to a mental stat is worth -2 to just about any other stat.
    As an aside, the DMG in fact specifically states that a race with -2 Str +2 Cha would be underpowered, because strength is a more important stat than charisma.

So they claim. They then, after all, go on to suggest that +2 con, -2 str is underpowered, and then went and gave it to gnomes.

And nothing about their suggestion on balanced stats explains away goblins, kobolds, and Blues.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well you see....the designers of DnD don't really know how the rules they write work. They frequently give ridiculuously bad character advice, build builds that undermine themselves, and couldn't optimize their way out of a soggy paper bag. It's understandable that they don't get that mental stats are often more important than physical stats (since casters win DnD, yadda yadda yadd).
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    sheer awesomeness

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I never understood why so many people think Gnomes are underpowered. -2 Str and +2 Con is awesome for casters, as is Small size, as +1 to hit and to AC helps them quite a bit.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, personally, I don't find gnomes to be underpowered.

It's just that the DMG explicitly says "Do not give a race -2 Str, +2 Con, as that is an underpowered options"... and then gives it to gnomes.

The DMG at least pretends that they gave half-orcs two penalties to balance out the strength bonus, pretending this is necessary.
    Beginnings usually happen over trifles... even if it's a coincidence...

~ Final Fantasy Tactics

27. - Top - End - #27

Well you see....the designers of DnD don't really know how the rules they write work. They frequently give ridiculuously bad character advice, build builds that undermine themselves, and couldn't optimize their way out of a soggy paper bag. It's understandable that they don't get that mental stats are often more important than physical stats (since casters win DnD, yadda yadda yadd).
    Tell me about it. How's an assassin with 10 INT grab you? I was flabbergasted to see that in Mysteries of the Moonsea; without all the assassin spells that Mr. Assassin 10 would ordinarily be entitled to, he was toast.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein