New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Forbid (PEACH)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Forbid (PEACH)

This spell is essentially the opposite of suggestion, in that it prevents the subject from doing an action.

Forbid
    Enchantment (Compulsion) [Language-Dependant, Mind-Effecting]
    Level: Brd 1 Sor/Wiz 2
    Components: V, M,
    Casting Time: One standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One living creature
    Duration: 1 hour/level or until successful save
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

You influence the actions of the target creature by stating a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two) for the creature not to engage in. The forbiddence must be worded in such a manner as to make avoiding the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature not to do an act that is essential to continue life (not breathing, not eating, etc.) will cause the creature to automatically succeed on its will save.

The suggested course of inactivity can continue for the entire duration. However, every time the subject attempts to do the activity specified, it must make a Will save (DC=20+caster level) or be forced not to do the action. If the subject fails, it may not attempt to do the action again for 1 hour. The subject can attempt the action for the first time 1 hour after the spell is cast.

Material Component: A lock of any quality
    Last edited by Ivius; 2007-01-28 at 06:14 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Forbid (PEACH)

So, an arcane version of Aversion? Seems alright, but it appears as though they automatically get two saving throws against it (once when the spell is cast, and once when they first attempt the stated action). Also, the psionic counterpart is only second-level, but it's limited to Telepaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

I guess you're right, perhaps you'd get your first attempt an hour after it is cast. And though it is pretty much a weaker Aversion, my goal was to make it more available (though in retrospect, I think I should lower the level)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Does it counter and dispel suggestion? That might be handy.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Well, you'd have to know what the original command was. And the target would then have to make the will save every hour, which then suppresses the suggestion until the next opportunity to attempt the save if they fail. So if the target fails the first save, then the suggestion is countered for at least an hour. I guess the best best way to explain it would be to treat suggestion as a natural craving or desire to do something.
    Last edited by Ivius; 2007-01-28 at 05:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cool! I don't know why I never thought of this before. Clever.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Asking the creature not to do an act that is essential to continue life (not breathing, not eating, etc.)
    What is this sentence supposed to mean?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Whoops. I meant to say that you can't, thanks for catching that.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Cool idea. Maybe it should be able to automatically cancel out a suggestion spell if worded to forbid what was suggested, like something special happens, and they are both dispelled. Seems easier than trying to have them still trying to do the Suggestion then saving against the Forbid.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I was going to suggest that the level of this spell be raised to match Suggestion, but then I realized that the entire spell is redundant. Suggestion in-and-of-itself allows for a forbid effect, for example "I suggest that you not do X..."
    You influence the actions of the target creature by suggesting a course of activity (limited to a sentence or two). The suggestion must be worded in such a manner as to make the activity sound reasonable. Asking the creature to do some obviously harmful act automatically negates the effect of the spell.
    To borrow a line, "choosing to do nothing is still a choice."

It's a good idea, as I suspect many don't realize Suggestion can be used like that (heck, it took me a few minutes), and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but, umm, yeah, you don't need Forbid if you have Suggestion.

(FWIW, and as further proof, you can double-negative Forbid into Suggestion, "I forbid you from not doing X...".
    Ohh! What's that!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mikeejimbo View Post
    Does it counter and dispel suggestion? That might be handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivius View Post
    Well, you'd have to know what the original command was. And the target would then have to make the will save every hour, which then suppresses the suggestion until the next opportunity to attempt the save if they fail. So if the target fails the first save, then the suggestion is countered for at least an hour. I guess the best best way to explain it would be to treat suggestion as a natural craving or desire to do something.
    I think you're misunderstanding what 'counter and dispel' means. If you tried to directly counteract one spell's effects with the other, then yes, you would have to know what the original command was. But that's neither countering nor dispelling.

Countering means using it as a counterspell, i.e. you cast it at the same time as someone casts the other spell to automatically negate their casting. Dispelling means that if you cast one spell, then the other, on the same target, they cancel out, regardless of parameters like the command given.

And Picasso has a good point... but a double-negative forbid is pretty convoluted, and so if you could word it so as to, ahem, forbid such a thing, then forbid still works as a lower-level, limited suggestion.
    I support paladins and the alignment system.

My Homebrew Gaming Stuff (not updated lately) - My Campaign (ended)
    Homebrew licence:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All my homebrew stuff is released under the Open Game License, except where based on non-OGC work or otherwise stated. For Section 15:

<name of homebrew here> Copyright <year first posted>, T. Pederick