New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: WBL question.

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Default WBL question.

The DMG gives two different listings for the amount of cash that should pass through a character's fingers - the first is Wealth By Level, and the second is treasure from encounters.

Now, I understand that a large amount of found treasure should be converted into expendable items, however, the players in my local group are usually more keen on gritting their teeth and sucking it up with a lack of consumables, so that they can spend all of their money on more permanent, more shiny things anyway.

So, am I to take it that 'Wealth' means, effectively, the total amount of 'permanently owned' material that a character currently possesses?

If so, I had thought of handing out a greater contingent of treasure as expendable items directly, scrolls, potions, AEther Dust vials (100gp of 'crafting gold'), etc. Is this an acceptable solution?

Failing that, I can just slap them with disjunctions.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: WBL question.

Yes. It is, in fact, a recommended course of action.

Oh, and don't break out the Disjunctions, just lower the amount of shineys they get.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: WBL question.

Wealth is more or less "treasure possessed at any specific time," yes; if you look at all the tables, you'll find the one that actually shows the difference between "treasure found" and "treasure retained." If your players grit their teeth and never use consumables, they're sure earning that 1-5% more gold to spend on permanent items...