New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: True Heroes, IC

1. - Top - End - #511
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: True Heroes, IC

Hyacinth replies "If you say so," and proceeds in, still covering the prisoner.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #512
    Firbolg in the Playground

The paladin reads the paper and is able to see some of the more mundane aspects. However, the more arcane sections completely baffle it. "What purpose could the hair serve? Are they tracking someone? Or is perhaps some form of phylactery?"

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Trygg considers the Paladin's question, "I wouldn't think a phylactery. It doesn't match the person I took it from, and why would they carry it into battle if it wasn't theirs? Of course, only our foes truly know their own minds. It could be used as a focus for a tracking or scrying spell, if they wished to spy on the owner of the hair."

The ranger huffs and puffs, following Hyacinth towards her destination, wherever that is.

4. - Top - End - #514

The paladin shakes his head as he realizes how little he truly knows about such things. "I will take these to the high priestess. Perhaps she will be able to decipher the meaning of these artifacts."

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Very well," Trygg replies to the Paladin. "I will examine the rest of the bodies to ensure I haven't missed anything."

When Hyacinth returns to the temple, she finds the temple guards and lower priests, along with the refugees and Dirt, milling around in the common area. They look up upon her entrance with several starting at the prisoner on the ranger's back.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth calls to the guards: "So, we got the one that ran away earlier. Where's someone in charge? And can someone help us bring this sap down to the cells? Probably good to search him first, though - he's armed."

She crumples one of her bows, flicks the blob out into a simple stretcher, sits on the edge, and indicates the prisoner.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just one bow now, for no particular reason. Second shadowcraft being used on a simple two-poles-and-canvas stretcher.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

"Well done," one of the temple staff replies to Hyacinth, "You can go to the high priestess in her quarters, or you can talk to the captain of the guard."

The high priestess looks up when the Paladin enters her room, "How go the preparations? Do you have another request?"

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

"Can anyone lend a hand carrying him down to the cells, first? This stretcher won't last after I let go."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming nothing of note happens between now and having the prisoner locked up, Hyacinth will then go to the captain of the guard.
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #519

The paladin holds up the recovered lock of hair and scroll. "Can you tell me anything about these? They were found on one of the enemy dead. The hair did not match the corpse, so there must have been some reason for her carrying it around."

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

One of the guards and one of the refugees move to take the prisoner from Hyacinth, "Thank you ma'am. We'll bring him down to the cells. Perhaps we can find out something from him once he comes to." The captain of the guard looks up when she approaches him, "Thank you for your help. What can I do for you?"

The priestess looks at the hair, "Hmm. Some spells are made easier if the caster has a lock of hair, or something else, from the target." She pauses, taking a moment to examine the scroll presented to her, "Yes. A spell of scrying; if the caster possessed the hair of their intended target, such a spell would be notably easier to perform.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth hovers before the guard-captain, and speaks in a quick, businesslike tone:

"Quite welcome. We came here with the intent of intercepting a mage of the Dark Mistress. The group we brought here as prisoners claimed that they were to meet him here. He apparently goes by the name Ordesiel, dark-haired and human judging from the image I was shown but of course a mage can change their look, and intends to corrupt your temple and those like it. I believe that this may be of use in your interrogations?"

"Separately, I would like to know where I would be best placed to assist the guard, while we remain here."
    Last edited by Qwertystop; 2015-11-15 at 08:53 PM.
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #522

The paladin hurriedly asks, "Does anyone in the temple possess blonde hair?"

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The guard nods as Hyacinth speaks, a frown spreading across his face, "You seemed to be very effective at your post at the window in the last attack. I think that's as good a spot for you as any. Thank you for the information. Would you like to join us as we question the captured prisoner? Your knowledge could come in handy."

The priestess scrunches her forehead up in response to the Paladin's question. "Nearly all of the elves in this area have black, brown, or dark red hair. Some of the humans might be blond, though I can't think of any offhand. And I don't know about the refugees."
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2015-11-21 at 05:19 PM.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you."

"Certainly, if it won't be any trouble. I think I've said all I know on this topic,"
    - she manifests a book entitled "Details I Know" and shows it to be blank - "but I suppose there might be something that isn't coming to mind at the moment."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #525
    Titan in the Playground

Martha continues to exist.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

16. - Top - End - #526

Without another word, the paladin goes off to inspect the refugees. Surely, there are not that many possible suspects.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Although several of the refugees have hair that could be, arguably, considered blond, none have the almost white blond hair to match the lock the paladin has.

Martha succeeds at existing without difficulty.

"Alright then," the guard replies, "I'll summon you when he comes to."

Spoiler: Hyacinth
    Show
    There's basically two ways to conduct the interrogation: I can post the entirety, or a summary, of the exchange between the guards and prisoners and then you can add anything you want at the end, or I can post each question/answer individually and you can probe as we go. The second, obviously, takes a lot longer.
    Last edited by GameSpawn; 2015-11-28 at 03:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

"Thank you."

Hyacinth returns to the window from earlier, with binoculars.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll go with the first option. As far as the lookout goes - should I roll, or do you want it hidden? I can't get to my sheet atm, not sure what the total skill bonus should be.
    My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #529

The paladin grows frustrated at its fruitless efforts. Not the high priestess, not the refugees... Then who? Looking around for the pixie, since she is the only one who it hasn't consulted, the paladin asks, "Do you recall seeing anyone with such hair before?" It holds up the lock in question.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm... One of the prisoners, yes? The woman, the one who was stabbed after we won."
    My Homebrew

21. - Top - End - #531

"It is possible... Was this woman supposed to reveal the temple's location? And why did we not see her in the attack if the Mistress's troops have recovered her?" The paladin shakes its head. "So many questions, so few answers."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

"If that was all..."
    Hyacinth returns to her watch.
    My Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #533

The paladin wonders why she is not more concerned, oblivious to Hyacinth's watch duty. Desperate for answers, it goes to find the dragonforged. Addressing the warlock's backpack, the paladin asks, "Dragon, are you willing to do some reconnaissance?"

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Prehysterical View Post
    The paladin wonders why she is not more concerned, oblivious to Hyacinth's watch duty. Desperate for answers, it goes to find the dragonforged. Addressing the warlock's backpack, the paladin asks, "Dragon, are you willing to do some reconnaissance?"
    "I really wish you wouldn't call me a dragon! If you will kindly refer to me by my actual type... since whether I have a 'species' is debatable, and arrange appropriately private circumstances for my departure and recovery, then I suppose I could expend some of my weekly power of flight to have a bit of a look around..."

Spoiler: OOC in case you have forgotten what she means by "species"/"type".
    Show
    Martha is currently insisting that she is actually an intelligent Decanter of Endless Water.

Spoiler: Why she is doing that (might count as OOC knowledge?)
    Show
    She is deathly afraid of it being publicly known that she has adventured. To her viewpoint she'd simply never live it down if it got out that she had done something so atypical for a dragon...
    Last edited by DracoDei; 2015-12-11 at 04:52 PM.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #535

Having forgotten that Martha insists on disguising herself, the paladin sighs. "Very well, then, Bottomless Jug. If I leave you in the pack in the woods and come back in a few hours to pick it up, will that suffice?"

26. - Top - End - #536
    Titan in the Playground

"Certainly. Do you have any advice on what routes I should take and what I should be looking for specifically? Oh, and if you could kindly pick an especially tall tree to put me down next to that would help me find my way back to the pack more easily."
    Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #537

After taking the pack from the dragonforged and stepping outside, the paladin explains, "Look for any groups of suspicious characters. I'm sure you know those better than anyone. Also, try to see if you can find the blonde woman that escaped us earlier. She might have been more important than we thought."

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

"Okay, tell me when we are in position."

When the word is given, Martha carefully peeks out, wary of being tricked, then eventually takes to wing and circles for a few minutes above the tree-tops, trying to carefully memorize the location (perhaps partially breaking off a few branches in a way she thinks simulates wind damage from a violent downburst or some such to better mark the location). She then starts flying a spiral search pattern.

((I'll roll spot and perhaps listen later as necessary... I think she has Scent, but I'd have to check the MM for what the other standard dragon sensory abilities are. I think blindsense is in there somewhere, and I know Darkvision is.))
    Extended Signature

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

It's a clear day and Martha can see for miles in the late afternoon light. For the most part, there's nothing particularly noteworthy above the trees; a few birds and other flying creatures are the most interesting thing, with one exception: to the North, Martha spots a thin line of smoke, as if from a campfire.

Spoiler: DracoDei
    Show
    Are you trying to search for something particular by scent? There no obvious, unusual smells in the area.

Back in the temple, the guard Hyacinth had spoken to earlier calls up to her, "The prisoner seems to be coming around, if you're ready."

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Hyacinth hops down. "All right, then."
    My Homebrew