New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Best free RPG's?

Just curious.
    What, in your opinion, are the best free RPG's?
    Best as in:Good Flavor, Useable Mechanics, Passable Format.
    Washed up Gm in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenChord View Post
    This seems like a level of crazy-talk only you could accomplish.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Mick View Post
    ... I've played a few games with D20ragon as GM in the past, and I have to vouch for his skill - he's an excellent writer, his world-building is top-notch ... and his games are, while sometimes too ambitious, some of the most fun to be had on these boards.
    avatar by the marvelous asdflove

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Best free RPG's?

Eclipse Phase: I don't want to say it's free, because the authors are trying to earn money from it. But yeah, you can get it for free. The fluff tends to be quite thorough*, but I'm not a huge fan of the mechanics. The formatting is very professional.

JAGS Wonderland: Again, I don't want to say it's free, because, again, the authors do actually sell it. It can be obtained freely, however.

The vast majority of this is a discussion of the metaphysics of synchronizing the actions of multiple characters across wildly different worlds. For people of a certain mindset, it's a fantastic read, but I'm not sure how much you'd actually want to play it.

*I'd like to see a religion sourcebook, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by Grinner; 2014-04-05 at 07:14 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

If we're counting SRDs, Fate Core and 13th Age.
    Currently in playtesting, now with optional rules for a cover based sci-fi shooter.
    Games for Harry Potter, the Hunger Games, and Silver Age Marvel. Skins for The Gorgon, the Deep One, the Kitsune, the Banshee, and the Mad Scientist

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neonchameleon View Post
    If we're counting SRDs, Fate Core and 13th Age.
    And Mutants and Masterminds 3e.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

D&D retroclones are generally awesome:

Basic Fantasy (free)
    Dark Dungeons (free)
    Labyrinth Lord (free)
    Lamentations of the Flame Princess (free)
    Mazes & Minotaurs (free)
    Myth & Magic (free)
    OSRIC (free)
    Swords & Wizardry (free)

Myth & Magic and Dark Dungeons probably have the best "production values," but OSRIC is a great, concise, simple, thorough rules document.

Cthulhu Dark is probably the lightest system I know of, but it's actually perfectly sufficient for its purpose. (There's a free download link in the text.)

Legends of Middle Earth is a neat little thing.

Witchcraft is a free Unisystem game (see All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Buffy, Angel, Army of Darkness, etc.), and pretty thoroughly awesome; it's in the modern urban fantasy genre, but has a cooler spin than most (feels a bit World of Darkness-y, but not in a bad way).

Edit: Oh, and my favorite RPG, Adventurer Conqueror King, isn't free yet, but the SRD is being cleaned up (by a volunteer) and will include everything from the core book, just with all setting-related references removed. So keep an eye out!
    Last edited by Rhynn; 2014-04-06 at 01:31 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Risus.

Always Risus.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neonchameleon View Post
    If we're counting SRDs, Fate Core.
    Gonna second Fate Core, though it also has a non-SRD version, since it's released with a Pay-What-You-Want scheme, which is quite nice. The system is versatile, easily modified and with a narrative focus. Its main problem is that the core concepts can be a bit difficult to get into from a more traditional RPG viewpoint.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

About JAGS Wonderland, the fluff is great, but the crunch is very clunky. I've yet to find someone who'll advise me to use it over any other system that's freely available. It might work more smoothly under the FATE system. (I find it would work well as a GMC-updated Changeling: the Lost game too, but that is not a free game, alas.)
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm a big fan of Fate Core and Legend, personally.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

i like power game. even though it's *really* easy to break it (to the point you need to actively try not to do that), it's fun. and easy to change for other themes (i converted it to Roger Zelazny's lord of light), which is awesome
    Last edited by galan; 2014-04-06 at 10:25 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm going to throw my support in for Fate Core (and Accelerated Edition) as well. As much as I like it, though, I feel like it's most useful as a sort of Philosophy of Tabletop Gaming primer. I've seen it happening more recently, but few games like to stress that character traits can be both good and bad, that failure isn't always a terrible thing, and the importance of figuring out what you want to do BEFORE figuring out what mechanics to use for it. I feel like reading the game, though I've barely gotten to run more than a session in it, has made me a better DM and player.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Good timing - there are surprisingly many of them that are free today. (I know DriveThruRPG has a free bundle for Tabletop Day; there may be others. Link's here if you want it.)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Hackmaster has a free intro (in my sig).

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention ODE, since you can probably find the things to play it at your grandmother's.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

It might be hard to follow if you don't know the basics already, but Pathfinder has a lot of its material online, more than enough to pay the game in my opinion. It's found at http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/.

D&D also has a good deal of stuff online.

They're not PDFs you can just download, print, and play from, but my group runs Pathfinder using that website as our primary source.

EDIT: not saying they're the best. They're D&D 3.5, so take it as you like it. For best one, I think Mutants & Masterminds is my favorite, but I haven't played many. JAGS Wonderland was pretty awesome to read, though it sounds like it'd be hard to play.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2014-04-07 at 09:43 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D20ragon View Post
    Just curious.
    What, in your opinion, are the best free RPG's?
    Best as in:Good Flavor, Useable Mechanics, Passable Format.
    With those specific qualifications, Ars Magica 4th Edition might work.
    http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...-core-rulebook
    Fantastic flavour, great magic mechanic, otherwise the rules are somewhat mediocre.

The theme is early Middle Ages (crusades, chain mail, lots of Latin) with wizards mixed in. Wizards whose actions in their magical towers are calculated in seasons. Since the mages are hesitant to leave their laboratories, the adventures tend to follow the Gandalf-Aragorn-Hobbits formula, with a single wizard leading a hero or two (and a group of NPCs/servants/meatshields). Every player is encouraged to have at least two characters who are rotated in and out as the story demands. Works best for sagas, myths and political intrigue, rather than the traditional pulp-inspired fantasy.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Risus.

Always Risus.
    Risus is underrated in its brilliance, actually. I realized this when I discovered that the rules actually treat difficulties as relative to the cliché used. I think it was something like "Swinging across a chasm via whip might be Difficulty 5 for an Intrepid Archaeologist, but it'd be something more like Difficulty 30 for a Wheelchair-Bound Occultist."

The entire engine is concise, layered, and really simple. You can do a lot with it.

I also have to give a shoutout to Mythender and Old School Hack, two incredibly polished RPGs that are 100% for free.
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Risus.

Always Risus.
    Oh! I've been looking for this.
    I stumbled across it ages ago, thought it was cool and then promptly forgot about it. By the time I remembered it again I had no idea what it was called or where to find it.

...how do you pronounce "Risus" though?

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    With those specific qualifications, Ars Magica 4th Edition might work.
    http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...-core-rulebook
    Fantastic flavour, great magic mechanic, otherwise the rules are somewhat mediocre.
    Oh man, Ars Magica has been on my wishlist for a long time now. That's exciting.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Hytheter View Post
    Oh! I've been looking for this.
    I stumbled across it ages ago, thought it was cool and then promptly forgot about it. By the time I remembered it again I had no idea what it was called or where to find it.

...how do you pronounce "Risus" though?
    Ree-sus

Like the monkey.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriphon View Post
    Ree-sus

Like the monkey.
    That's kinda what I thought but

but then it's like the monkey

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

*adds a Risus, Like the Monkey 3 Cliché to his sheet*
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.