New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Default Mounts of a different stripe

How does one go about getting an exotic mount? For example, how does a fighter get a Gryphon for a mount? I mean, is there any kind of level requirements? Are there feats you have to have? How much does it cost?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Mounts of a different stripe

Uhhh. Paladins get them as they go up levels, I can't remember where, sorry.

Other than that, check the monstrous manual and see what it says under the entry of the animal that you want. Sometimes they list a cost to train one or buy a trained one. But that's mot exactly common or cheap.
    Don’t date the sane ones, they’ll only make you crazy. Date the really insane ones but never let them know where you live or work.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well paladins summon their mounts from whichever plane they originate from, so as long as they meet the requirements and the DM is okay with it you can call it.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Get ranks in Handle Animal. Lots of them. Then find a baby of whatever mount you want and rear it.

Alternatively you can try to buy a trained one.

Both of these plans require DM's agreement and cooperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxic_Avenger View Post
    Trust me, Ikkitosen knows what he's talking about.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

I smell a WoW influence here :P

If your not a Paladin, a Druid or a High Level Ranger then obtaining a mount is harder and easier at the same time. It becomes a question of pick an animal, run it down, punch it till it passes out and then pay some guy to train it. Come back, feed it a "i wont hit you again" treat and away you go.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

6. - Top - End - #6

Im hard pressed to think of an animal that can be ripped from the wild in such a violent manner, and then reliably trained in any fashion. And the more trainable it is (int), the more likely it will remember you. Most folks go with the baby route, they train better anyhow.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I smell a WoW influence here :P

If your not a Paladin, a Druid or a High Level Ranger then obtaining a mount is harder and easier at the same time. It becomes a question of pick an animal, run it down, punch it till it passes out and then pay some guy to train it. Come back, feed it a "i wont hit you again" treat and away you go.
    A "I won't hit you again" treat...ROFLMAO!!!!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

In the case of domestic styled animals im inclined to agree, wild horses etc. But as long as you treat it kindly afterwards predatory animals, wolves, lions etc. are likely to be fine with you even after the brutal treatment. It establishes a heirarchy of power. You don't have the light tough of animal friendship or a Paladins Mount so you have to MAKE it see your the boss. Or its a one way trip to the digestive system one day.
    Initiate Cleric of Skaroq

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Maryring View Post
    The most powerful monster in DnD? The DM of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reptilius View Post
    5216. The Gray Guard PrC, despite being a righteous knight who isn't afraid to get his hands dirty, does NOT mean you are Batman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus_Samma View Post
    "...so as it turned out, it was a really good thing I took those ranks in Craft: Leatherworking. And that's the story of how I became a blackguard."

9. - Top - End - #9

HalflingRangerGuy

I have a related question, Child of Winter let's you expand your Summon Nature's Ally spell to include Vermin, is there a similar spell for animal companions?

Edit: Found it: Vermin Companion
    Last edited by cupkeyk; 2007-02-05 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Found it
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    In the case of domestic styled animals im inclined to agree, wild horses etc. But as long as you treat it kindly afterwards predatory animals, wolves, lions etc. are likely to be fine with you even after the brutal treatment. It establishes a heirarchy of power. You don't have the light tough of animal friendship or a Paladins Mount so you have to MAKE it see your the boss. Or its a one way trip to the digestive system one day.
    Or you could raise it from birth. There's a nice "rearing" ability that lets you automatically tame any animal with a DC (15 + animal's HD) Handle Animal check. You can also rear magical beasts with a DC (30 + HD) check, Vermin with a DC (35 + HD) check, and "other creature" with a DC (40 + HD) check.

...Hm, I wonder if "other creature" includes humans... That'd explain why children are so intractable...
    Last edited by Mewtarthio; 2007-02-05 at 08:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

11. - Top - End - #11

Not that either of those is that great a way, both will take a long time. The simplest way is to simply find someone who raises them already and buy one. It certainly shouldn't be any harder to find a griffon trainer than it should be to find a high cost magic item.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

The Arms and Equipment guide has very good info for alternate mounts and how to acquire them.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

MM2 warbeast template. and done. it gives the price for a mount already trained for combat riding with some cool bonuses and nice stat increases.

then you just have to work out with your DM how to find someone who actually trains and sells these creatures.

14. - Top - End - #14

To answer your example question directly, page 140 of the monster manual tells us that griffon young are worth 7000gp apiece, and cost 1500 gp to rear or train. So I'd suppose that'd amount to 8500gp for your mount.

Many other mount-appropriate beasts, such as the pegasus, have similar entries. Also, if I'm not mistaken, some supplemental materials like Races of Stone even have these entries for such creatures as ankhegs, bulettes, and dire eagles, to name a few.
    Last edited by The White Knight; 2007-02-06 at 09:02 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

HalflingRangerGuy

Is there anything stopping me from riding a constrictor snake?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Only what stops you from just keeping one around the house.

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRangerGuy

Awesome! So any small sized druid and 4th level ranger can have one as a mount.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Awesome! So any small sized druid and 4th level ranger can have one as a mount.
    Provide you can explain how you ride it amongst other things.

Hints -
    1) A saddle is going to be somewhat difficult.
    2) If you look at the way Snakes are built, and how they move, you'll realise that the Snake is going to have to be a LOT bigger than the ride in size categorys. Not the simple 1 size large mounts normally need. At least 2 sizes and maybe 3 (so you small halfling would require at least a Large and probably a Huge snake.
    3) You won't be able to ride a constricter snake in combat. It fights by constriction.
    4) Look out for that cold weather. Reptiles don't function well in the cold.

Stephen

19. - Top - End - #19

why do you want a constrictor snake as a mount?

First and foremost, any creature that has no legs and no ground clearance probably counts as 'innapropraite' for riding, so you suffer -5 to your ride rolls.

Also, they've got a 17 in strength and are medium sized, non-quadrapeds. Carrying a halfling won't put them encumbered but they still can't carry much.

And they've got a speed of 20, so they're just as fast as the halfling on their back : P, They certainly can't climb while you're mounting them (or more correctly you can't stay on) so the only real benefit might be the swimming ability. Even then I seriously doubt they can constrict with someone on their back.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You could try the black market. Giant Eagles make good mounts.
    " Oh poopy cucumbers a writhing organism!" Chef Brian

21. - Top - End - #21

HalflingRangerGuy

Because it reminds me of that snake chick from Bravestar. Why would I even let my mount attack in combat?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cupkeyk View Post
    Because it reminds me of that snake chick from Bravestar. Why would I even let my mount attack in combat?
    Because it's a snake and it'll do it anyway.

Look, how would you even pull it off? The snake would have to be big enough around for it to be taller than your leg length. And then the way it moves will just throw you off. There's no point even trying; you'd just make it mad.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

23. - Top - End - #23

HalflingRangerGuy

Anmal companions. LOLz. They sorta worship you. Wheeeee! All need now is a scaley rubber suit and whip proficiency.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by oriong View Post
    why do you want
    First and foremost, any creature that has no legs and no ground clearance probably counts as 'innapropraite' for riding, so you suffer -5 to your ride rolls.
    Thrum Worms are listed as mounts in Races of Stone, and they're Medium sized and snakelike. In fact, they have even worse stats than the ones you just described.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by The White Knight View Post
    Thrum Worms are listed as mounts in Races of Stone, and they're Medium sized and snakelike. In fact, they have even worse stats than the ones you just described.
    Actually that's not the case, looking at the excerpt on the wizards website there is a reason to have a thrum worm.

They have a burrow speed, and a special saddle made to use that, thus giving the gnome a burrow speed that's just as fast as his normal speed. This is a biiig advantage, and a good reason to use them. The snake gives nothing of the sort (like I said, it's got swim, but it's climb wouldn't be usable).
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

If you want a worm go get sandstorm and get an ashworm. It's like a mini-pruple worm, but with more awesome. Comes with it's own prestige class, the only 10 level mounted PrC I've seen that doesn't just focus on one thing. You essentially get the standard mounted feats for free, or upgrades to them if you already did, along with the ability to make infinite ride checks to negate damage, go with your mount while burrowing, and pump the DC of the poison attack.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Holy crap, wow... that only sounds a little overpowered. Make a Ride-skill beast, and go crazy? I'm in.