New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Regarding shields...

Is there anything that affects a wooden shield worse than it affects a steel shield? Is there, in fact, any mechanical reason whatsoever to wield a steel shield over a wooden one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus View Post
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.
    2 useful principles for keeping roleplaying games fun.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Regarding shields...

Sunder attempts are pretty much the only reason.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Steel shields are stronger and harder to destroy.

There are also a bunch of spells and special abilities that affect wood but not metal, and vice versa. If you know in advance what you're going up against, you can pick accordingly.

- Saph

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Most shields, apart from very small bucklers, are made mostly of wood.

Birdman of the Church of Link's Hat

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wood will burn easier than steel.
    + forever!

Spoiler
    Show

Avvie by Ichneumon, siggy by Hive Mind

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

(I stated my first in a dungeon)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    Steel shields are stronger and harder to destroy.

There are also a bunch of spells and special abilities that affect wood but not metal, and vice versa. If you know in advance what you're going up against, you can pick accordingly.

- Saph
    Are there any wood-affecting spells that adversely affect a shield?(I checked Warp Wood, which doesn't do jack to a shield.)
    However, the general consensus about the best way to stop a monster from attacking is to kill it. In the case of undead, we recommend killing it again.

7. - Top - End - #7

Repel Wood will knock that shield out of your hand, or push you backwards if you don't drop it. Of course, choosing a metal shield just in case a druid uses that spell, is...
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    Most shields, apart from very small bucklers, are made mostly of wood.
    The idea of all-metal shields is pretty hilarious. Then again, so is the idea of 4-pound one-handed swords and 8-pound two-handed swords...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    The idea of all-metal shields is pretty hilarious. Then again, so is the idea of 4-pound one-handed swords and 8-pound two-handed swords...
    What's wrong with that? Half the number of hands, half the weight. Makes sense to me.

Hehe, anyways I can think up several effects off the top of my head that could mess up a metal shield(previously mentioned + rust monster or rust grasp). It seems to me metal shields can be made of better materials but might be targetted more often by spells. While wooden shields are vulnerable to sundering but have less magical problems. Who knows, maybe you'll need to make a fire and have no other fuel?

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by BCOVertigo View Post
    What's wrong with that? Half the number of hands, half the weight. Makes sense to me.
    His point was more that these weights are way too high. I think, anyway. It's certainly true.
    "'To know, to do, and to keep silent.' Crowley had the first two down pat."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Exactly. One-handed swords weighed from 1 to 2.5 pounds or so (and over 2 pounds is fairly heavy). Two-handed swords were mostly 3-6 lbs. There do exist examples of ceremonial two-handed swords that were over 5 feet in length and weighed as much as 8 (sometimes more!) pounds, but they weren't for actual combat use - just for show.

I don't know much about shields, but D&D's 10-15 pounds on your arm sounds fairly impossible to fight with...
    Last edited by Thomas; 2007-02-07 at 11:58 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks for your answers.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not to be picky, but the one real sword I own is 16 lbs and much to my own dismay I can use it fairly comfortably in 2 hands and less comfortably but still manageable in 1 hand. At 73 inches long that's alot of torque to deal with too, but nothing impossible. And going off the max load charts I have like 10 strength at best. You underestimate the potential of someone with 15 strength who's profession in life is "Fighter" if you think an 8 lb sword is too much...

Just like today how longbows are vastly underpowered compared with what people COULD use. Back in the day, a competent archer would carry a 100-120 lb bow, and when you shot the thing the target went down, nuff said.

*Note: before some 12 year old asks, that doesn't mean the bow weighs 120 lbs, it means it takes 120 lbs of force to pull a knocked arrow back the full length...
    Last edited by Arceliar; 2007-02-08 at 12:17 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Wooden shields catch on fire. This is usually a bad thing.
    "Of course you should fight fire with fire. You should fight everything with fire." - Jaya Ballard, task mage

STFUitP

15. - Top - End - #15

I dunno. I know that it says nothing specific about shields but I would rule that warp wood on a wooden shield renders it useless. If it can make wooden weapons suck why not shields?
    What I do every time I see someone complain that their DM is a jerk just because some class/race/book/feat/etc. is not allowed at the gaming table.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gerrtt View Post
    I dunno. I know that it says nothing specific about shields but I would rule that warp wood on a wooden shield renders it useless. If it can make wooden weapons suck why not shields?
    Because a shield is just a thing that you put between you and something else?

17. - Top - End - #17

Now wood shape, that would screw up your sheild. I would probably turn it into masterwork manacles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Arceliar View Post
    Not to be picky, but the one real sword I own is 16 lbs and much to my own dismay I can use it fairly comfortably in 2 hands and less comfortably but still manageable in 1 hand. At 73 inches long that's alot of torque to deal with too, but nothing impossible. And going off the max load charts I have like 10 strength at best. You underestimate the potential of someone with 15 strength who's profession in life is "Fighter" if you think an 8 lb sword is too much...
    Not "too much to handle," but "too much to be realistic."

73 inches is pretty immense, but even then 16 pounds is amazingly heavy. How long do you think you'd be able to fight with that? (And do you think you'd actually be able to move between stances and attack quick enough to be effective?)

Good article on sword weights. 69 swords, and the heaviest is 13 pounds, at 78 inches length. That's staggeringly big.

Most well-balanced one-handed swords aren't going to weigh much more than 2 pounds (rapiers actually being among the heaviest, often being over 2 pounds) - although the balancing (distribution of weight) will play a significant role in their handling.

As for warp wood and wooden shields... unless all the wooden components warp exactly the same way, it's probably going to pull the shield apart or otherwise break it. I'd definitely rule it'd ruin a wooden shield. (It should ruin a "metal" shield too, strictly speaking, since those shields would probably have a wooden "back"...)

19. - Top - End - #19
    Bugbear in the Playground

what rapiers are among the heaviest on that list? That just seems ...well... unbalanced.. heh. (This is turning into Real World Weapons and Armors, we should probably take it there).

Warp wood will definitely affect a wooden shield.

The SRD states, "You cause wood to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength."

If the form and strength of your wooden shield are permanently destroyed, you don't really have an effective shield anymore, do you? While shields aren't explicitly mentioned, this lack wouldn't free them from the more general statement above. As weapons take a -4 penalty to hit (thats a heavy circumstance modifier.. you get the same thing for being blind or non-proficient), I would argue your shield is worthless. Some DM's might let you keep 1 ac tho, if it was 2 ac or more to begin with. Or maybe it can be used for blocking one attack, at which point it is automatically sundered. Or something. You will have to houserule effects, but there should be some.

And as mentioned before, wood burns. Non-magical fires have a chance to ignite hair, clothes, wooden items, paper, and all other flammable objects, which then take fire damage until they are put out or are destroyed.
    Last edited by daggaz; 2007-02-08 at 05:50 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Exactly. One-handed swords weighed from 1 to 2.5 pounds or so (and over 2 pounds is fairly heavy). Two-handed swords were mostly 3-6 lbs. There do exist examples of ceremonial two-handed swords that were over 5 feet in length and weighed as much as 8 (sometimes more!) pounds, but they weren't for actual combat use - just for show.
    This is true, but the weight given for the weapons isn't just for the weapon itself. It probably includes scabbard, belt and all the other stuff that comes with it.
    Or do you buy and list them seperately?
    Last edited by Iron_Mouse; 2007-02-08 at 08:03 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mouse View Post
    This is true, but the weight given for the weapons isn't just for the weapon itself. It probably includes scabbard, belt and all the other stuff that comes with it.
    I think you get them free unless you want to get a specifically fancy one. I personally doubt that the DnD writers realised that they would weigh anything. The weapon weight is supposed to represent just the weapon.

Yeah, you can make a 16 lb sword and swing it about a bit, but why would you want to? Swords aren't steam presses, the item's weight doesn't effect it's effectiveness. A decent sword needs to be sharp enough to deal damage to internal organs it doesn't need to be used as a paper weight.

A 16 lb sword is a modern replica that was never designed to be used to kill people.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by OzymandiasVolt View Post
    Wooden shields catch on fire. This is usually a bad thing.
    Someone's been playing Twilight Princess.

Though wooden shields aren't effected by spells like Heat Metal, which can have some fairly dire consequences when you've got metal strapped all over your body.
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

You mean like the large round bronze shields of the Mediterranian cultures (Greeks, Macedonians, etc.)? Those are hilarious? What about my jousting shield? It's very definitely all-metal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

24. - Top - End - #24

what rapiers are among the heaviest on that list? That just seems ...well... unbalanced.. heh. (This is turning into Real World Weapons and Armors, we should probably take it there).
    The rapier in D&D is more of a foil. The historical rapier was so large that it was not even really used for parrying (that was what your dagger was for).

As far as metal vs. wooden shields, very few historical shields were made of solid metal (the buckler and some forms of the targe being an exception) but this is D&D NOT a historical re-enactment game. I mean come on, the 15 lb greatsword is on the same page as the orcish double axe and the spiked chain!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Sneak for the slick Bugbear avatar!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Truwar View Post
    As far as metal vs. wooden shields, very few historical medieval-era shields were made of solid metal (the buckler and some forms of the targe being an exception) but this is D&D NOT a historical re-enactment game.

Fixed that for you.

Anyone else remember the 25lb 2-bladed sword in 3.0 that was just a pair of 3 lb short swords stuck end-to-end?

(I just substitute real masses for weapons and armor in my games, completely ignoring the BS that is the "item weight" column.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

26. - Top - End - #26

DwarfClericGuy

The rapier in D&D is more of a foil. The historical rapier was so large that it was not even really used for parrying (that was what your dagger was for).

As far as metal vs. wooden shields, very few historical shields were made of solid metal (the buckler and some forms of the targe being an exception) but this is D&D NOT a historical re-enactment game. I mean come on, the 15 lb greatsword is on the same page as the orcish double axe and the spiked chain!
    QFT.

Thank you. This is not a "lets pick apart the abstractions and arbitrarily assigned numbers of the fantasy game" Thread. There is nothing realistic about a setting where Dwarves, Elves, Halflings, and Orcs hang out together, call down the tangible wrath of the almighty, and utilize psionic abilities for the purpose of extraplanar travel.

Wooden shields catch fire. Wooden are more vulnerable to the elements. Wooden shields are easily broken. That's all I can think of off-hand.
    Gaming Nirvana

My games:
    The Age of Worms IC/OoC
    The Scarred Lands IC/OoC

My Homebrew:
    The Serial Killer

My Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hengist Magnusson, Huntsman, Woodsman, Norseman.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Wooden shields are useful because they:

float - might keep you from sinking - certainly they can keep gear out of the water
    can be used vs a rust monster as mentioned above
    burn - might keep you warm when you need it.

If you're worried about druids pack a metal one as well.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Not "too much to handle," but "too much to be realistic."

73 inches is pretty immense, but even then 16 pounds is amazingly heavy. How long do you think you'd be able to fight with that? (And do you think you'd actually be able to move between stances and attack quick enough to be effective?)

Good article on sword weights. 69 swords, and the heaviest is 13 pounds, at 78 inches length. That's staggeringly big.

Most well-balanced one-handed swords aren't going to weigh much more than 2 pounds (rapiers actually being among the heaviest, often being over 2 pounds) - although the balancing (distribution of weight) will play a significant role in their handling.

As for warp wood and wooden shields... unless all the wooden components warp exactly the same way, it's probably going to pull the shield apart or otherwise break it. I'd definitely rule it'd ruin a wooden shield. (It should ruin a "metal" shield too, strictly speaking, since those shields would probably have a wooden "back"...)
    Actually, the 4 lb / 8 lb thing is not too way off, if we consider them to be the upper limits, rather than the average.

Shield weights are also not too bad, as Roman Legionary Shields and Greek Hoplite Shields seem to have fallen into a range of 10-20 lbs. 10 lbs for a large Medieval Wooden Shield is probably not too far off. The Tower Shield, on the other hand, and a number of other items are probably too heavy.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Subotei View Post
    float - might keep you from sinking - certainly they can keep gear out of the water
    Not ... really. A shield without significant curvature (i.e. not shaped like a boat) made out of wood will be able to hold about 5 or 6 pounds before it starts sinking. Basically, their own weight, and that's about it.
    Last edited by barawn; 2007-02-08 at 01:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by daggaz View Post
    Not that list. That list had two-handed swords. But rapiers are among the heaviest one-handed swords. 2, 2.5 pounds a lot of the time. They're HUGE, you know; commonly 4-5 feet long (compared to the 3-4 feet of sideswords and arming swords), with an exceedingly heavy hilt (and a point of balance very close to the hilt because of this). In fact, almost all the weight is in the hilt and the elaborate, complicated guards; this gives well-made rapiers amazing handling - the point will move inches with just a twitch of the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Mouse View Post
    *smacks forehead* Someone's pointed this out before. Yes, if you include scabbards (which could cause problems in certain calculations), it's more or less realistic (except for overweight weapons that wouldn't reasonably have scabbards). I'm quite used to games where you do list scabbards and sheaths separately.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Actually, the 4 lb / 8 lb thing is not too way off, if we consider them to be the upper limits, rather than the average.
    Another viable approach, I guess; considering them maximum weights isn't a bad interpretation.

Yeah. Most people think of foils when someone says "rapier" - this is largely the fault of 50 years of Hollywood showing us "rapier fights" where flexible swords are flicked around like feathers, used double-time (rapiers were single-time weapons), and so on. A rapier could parry, but that wouldn't be smart; you couldn't riposte with it because of the handling. A big part of the fencing was gaining control of your opponents sword so that their attack is misdirected without an action on your side, and then making your own strike when their weapon is out of the way. Only a silly person would use a rapier without something (another rapier, a parrying dagger, or at least a cloak; bucklers were more commonly used with sideswords) in the other hand, for parrying.