New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: I think Wee Jas is the most....complex god thing in D&D

IIRC Wee Jas only allows people to undead-ify themselves if they need more time to complete a project or something along those line and she requires them to destroy themselves once said project is finished. She has a really utilitarian view on Undead as far as I understand.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OldTrees1 View Post
    When I read the Dragon Magazine article it I though I read something about her only being okay with intelligent undead if the souls were willing. Especially if they are souls from her people(Suel?).

So she would be against a necromancer trapping a soul in the body of an intelligent undead against its will.
    That's the impression I got too. She's ok with intelligent undead, but only if they're there willingly and for a reason. (Part of my headcanon on this front is that this means she's ok with Masters of Shrouds, which rather helps justify the Melisandre E6 build.)

She's ok with unintelligent undead, especially the cleaners ones like Skeletons, provided the corpses are treated with respect and proper rites. I think there are even Skeletons in her fortress.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Honestly, I'm really just wondering why so many of the D&D death gods seem to love undeath so much. I can't think of anyone from real world mythology who would and it doesn't even make too much sense from an ingame perspective. Gods get the souls of their worshippers when said worshippers die. They don't get them when they become undead. Promoting undeath seems a great way of draining your own power.
    Aside from other responses, I think that you assume that necromancers are raising the dead of souls who worshiped undead worshiping deities in their lifetime.

That's probably not the case - when the necromancer stops by a village graveyard, he's raising the late townsfolk. They tend to worship Pelor/Heironious/whatever goody-two-shoes god that served said townfolk the best in their profession, and not Wee Jas/Vecna/other fond-of-undeath deities.

Now, by raising the townsfolk, you're sapping the goody-two-shoes gods of their worshipers, and draining power from them. You're not touching any of your own worshipers, thereby sapping your own god's power.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Particle_Man View Post

I also like the idea of a colour-based "red and blue" team up between a RKV and a Sapphire Hierarch (although the latter might be a little upset at the former's tolerance of magic when used for certain purposes the latter thinks goes against the laws of nature).
    I'm doing this in one of my games right now.

She is definitely one of my favorites. The magic domain is pretty sweet for her fluff, too.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2014-04-23 at 12:25 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Honestly, I'm really just wondering why so many of the D&D death gods seem to love undeath so much. I can't think of anyone from real world mythology who would and it doesn't even make too much sense from an ingame perspective. Gods get the souls of their worshippers when said worshippers die. They don't get them when they become undead. Promoting undeath seems a great way of draining your own power.
    What's better than having a level 12 cleric serve you for 30 years after spending two decades growing up and another two getting to level 12? A level 12 cleric serving you for 300 years and leveling up to 15 over that period of time.

So that's at least a plausible reason why one would be down with a fair portion of one's powerful mortal pawns becoming undead or otherwise less than mortal, so they get more use out of them than eating everything that isn't a 2 HD petitioner or washed away by the Astral. And then when they do finally get offed, because that's the general tendency of even most creatures with decent levels, there's at least a fair chance that they'll have even more levels to eat than they would have if they hadn't let them marinate as undead first.

They don't seem to tend towards having most of the rank-and-file made into undead though from what I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    That's the impression I got too. She's ok with intelligent undead, but only if they're there willingly and for a reason. (Part of my headcanon on this front is that this means she's ok with Masters of Shrouds, which rather helps justify the Melisandre E6 build.)

She's ok with unintelligent undead, especially the cleaners ones like Skeletons, provided the corpses are treated with respect and proper rites. I think there are even Skeletons in her fortress.
    Wee Jas is ok with creating of mindless undeads. Intelligent ones must agree for return. She not care if they are created for reasons or not as long as eariel criteria are meet)

Yet I mostly agree with your interpretation of Wee Jas.

There is enough of Non-evil-dead-gods-who-hate-undeads (Kelemvor, Pharsama, etc)

Sorry for thread-necromancy, but I has to do
    Last edited by Prezes; 2024-04-17 at 04:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: I think Wee Jas is the most.... complex god thing in D&D

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: The Ruby Sorceress is also the steward of dead threads.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2