New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default [3.5 PrC] The Spellchain Mage (please PEACH)

Introduction: I've seen prestige classes built around a metamagic feat before. I thought it would be a good idea to build a prestige class around the Chain Spell feat. So here is the spellchain mage!
    Hit die
    d4.

Requirements
    To qualify to become a spellchain mage, a character must fulfill all of the following criteria.

Skills
    Knowledge (arcana) 13, Spellcraft 13.

Feats
    Chain Spell and at least two other metamagic feats.

Spellcasting
    Ability to cast 5th-level arcane spells.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Spells
    1st
    +0
    +0
    +0
    +2
    Spontaneous Chaining, Stronger Chains (I) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    2nd
    +1
    +0
    +0
    +3
    Modified Chains (I) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    3rd
    +1
    +1
    +1
    +3
    Stronger Chains (II) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    4th
    +2
    +1
    +1
    +
    Modified Chains (II) +1 level of existing spellcasting class
    5th
    +2
    +1
    +1
    +4
    Stronger Chains (III) +1 level of existing spellcasting class

Class Skills (2 + Int modifier per level): Bluff, Concentration, Decipher Script, Intimidate, Knowledge (all skills, taken individually), Profession, Search, Speak Language, Spellcraft, Spot

Class Features
    All of the following are Class Features of the spellchain mage prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
    Spellchain mages gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor. Some spellchain mages are proficient with chain weapons, but this is not necessary, as the name refers to their mastery of the Chain Spell metamagic feat, not to any sort of chain weapon.

Spellcasting
    At every level, a spellchain mage gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in whatever spellcasting class to which she belonged before she added the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a spellchain mage, she must decide to which class she adds each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known.

Spontaneous Chaining (Ex)
    A spellchain mage can channel stored spell energy into Chain spells that the spellchain mage did not prepare ahead of time. For game purposes Chain spells are spells with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to them, or spells that were designed to attack multiple targets in sequence using the same mechanic as the above feat (most notably the Chain Lightning spell). The spellchain mage can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any Chain spell of the same spell level or lower that is in his/her spellbook, on his/her list of spells known, or with which he/she is familiar through Spell Mastery. Spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can apply the Chain Spell feat to their spells without increasing casting time. This ability may only be used once per day per class level.

Stronger Chains (Ex)
    Starting at 1st level, a spellchain mage adds +1 level to the effective level of a spell with the Chain spell feat applied ( but not Chain Lightning and similar spells), as if the spell had one level of Heighten Spell applied to it, but without the level modifier. The chain mage gains another +1 to the effective level at 3rd level, and the total bonus rises to +3 at 5th level.

Modified Chains (Ex)

Starting at 2nd level, a spellchain mage may reduce the level modifier from a particular metamagic feat (excluding Chain Spell) by one level (to a minimum of a +0 modifier). At 4th level, the spellchain mage may apply a further -1 level, either to the same metamagic feat (if the original modifier was +2 levels or higher), or to a separate metamagic feat. This ability only applies to spells that are affected by the Chain Spell metamagic feat.
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2014-06-19 at 04:18 PM.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.
    (Avatar darkwizard.png by Teutonic Knight.)

Spoiler: What Pokemon are you?
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 PrC] The Chain Mage (please PEACH)

And I am reminded of the Chain Magic Jar trick.

Well, at first glance, this typo stands out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
    Some chain mages are proficeint with chain weapons
    As well as this mistaken capitalization.
    AT 4th level, the chain mage may apply a further -1 level
    Spontaneous Chaining (Ex)
    A chain mage can channel stored spell energy into Chain spells that the chain mage did not prepare ahead of time. For game purposes Chain spells are spells such as Chain Lightning, as well as any spell with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to it.
    You might want to clarify what exactly counts as a Chain spell for this ability. Presumably Chain Missile [SpC] would count. But how about the following:
    -Chain of Eyes [SpC]
    -Wall of Chains [BoVD]
    -Howling Chain [SpC]
    -Using Summon Monster 6 to summon a Chain Devil

The chain mage can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any Chain spell of the same spell level that is in his/her spellbook, memorized with Spell Mastery, or list of spells known.
    I would say "same spell level or lower that is...".

Also "memorized with Spell Mastery" might be better phrased as "with which he/she is familiar through Spell Mastery". Memorized implies he must have the spell prepared (i.e. memorized).

So maybe something like this: The chain mage can “lose” any prepared spell that is not a domain spell in order to cast any Chain spell of the same spell level or lower that is in his/her spellbook, on his/her list of spells known, or with which he/she is familiar through Spell Mastery.

Spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can add the Chain Spell feat to their spells without increasing casting time.
    I would rephrase it to "Spellcasters that already cast spontaneously can apply the Chain Spell feat to their spells".
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

This isn't really PEACHing, but I just have to say it.

Did anyone else think of a wizard wielding a spiked chain when they saw the name of this class?
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2014-05-31 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Stupid typo is stupid
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #4

RedWizardGuy

Thanks, JeminiZero for your help.
    And Dire_Stirge, yes it does to me too, but I couldn't think of a better name for the prestige class.
    President and founder of the "Jonathan Harker Was The True Hero of Dracula" Fan club.
    To join, you may either add J.H.W.T.T.H.O.D to your sig or modify the sig above.

Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

RangerGuy

And Dire_Stirge, yes it does to me too, but I couldn't think of a better name for the prestige class.
    How about Chain-spell Master/Mage

Apart from the few typos, and some things that aren't clear, and were already pointed out, this class is a solid simple design, that does exactly what it says it does.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Spell-link mage? Or maybe spellchain mage?
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

7. - Top - End - #7

After a while Chain stops looking like a real word.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

So, they can spontaneously cast any spell so long as they have the Chain metamagic applied to it?
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I'd define Chain spells as spells that have multiple targets affected in sequence.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    I'd define Chain spells as spells that have multiple targets affected in sequence.
    Yeah, but the class feature says:

For game purposes Chain spells are spells with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to them, or spells that were designed to attack multiple targets using the same mechanic (most notably the Chain Lightning spell).
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Yeah, but the class feature says:
    For game purposes Chain spells are spells with the Chain Spell metamagic feat applied to them, or spells that were designed to attack multiple targets using the same mechanic (most notably the Chain Lightning spell).
    Yes, and that's an odd definition, because it includes all AOE spells that attack (Fireball, Cone of Cold), as well as all spells with multiple simultaneous or separate targetings (Scorching Ray, Chill Touch).

My definition removes two of those, and I'm sure a bit of rewording to emphasize that each target's eligibility is based on the previous target can deal with number three.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Yes, and that's an odd definition, because it includes all AOE spells that attack (Fireball, Cone of Cold), as well as all spells with multiple simultaneous or separate targetings (Scorching Ray, Chill Touch).

My definition removes two of those, and I'm sure a bit of rewording to emphasize that each target's eligibility is based on the previous target can deal with number three.
    Not so odd Qwertystop. The key phrase is the same mechanic (as the Chain Spell metamagic feat, natch). I've renamed the prestige class (to spellchain mage) and rewrote the class ability for clarification.
    Last edited by Southern Cross; 2014-06-02 at 09:12 PM.

Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Not so odd Qwertystop. The key phrase is the same mechanic (as the Chain Spell metamagic feat, natch). I've renamed the prestige class (to spellchain mage) and rewrote the class ability for clarification.
    Ah. Good point.
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5 PrC] The Spellchain Mage (please PEACH)

I'm a little nervous about spontaneous chaining coming at 1st level. For a one-level dip, a wizard can get a huge boost in flexibility with no lost power and only invests in three metamagic feats that he probably wanted to take anyhow. That is maybe too good for a one-level dip. OTOH the 2nd level ability is really good too, so moving spontaneous chaining back there might just tempt players to take 2 levels and run. Dunno.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

15. - Top - End - #15

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5 PrC] The Spellchain Mage (please PEACH)

Jiriku, I've altered the spontaneous chaining ability so the caster only gets one use per day of spontaneous chaining at 1st level, and gets an additional use at each class level. Does that help?

Show