New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Just... walk away...

There are certain comics which, after years of loyal reading, I just had to admit to myself "They're just not funny." PvP Online, for instance. I read that for 3+ years, until I realized it just wasn't funny. Not even amusing. Ctrl Alt Del, as well. What webcomics are you an ex-loyalist now that you've come to your comic senses?
    Do you get my point?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Closed Account

Default Re: Just... walk away...

None. I'm a webcomic lover. I love every silly webcomic out there.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Dominic Deegan, oracle for hire. It was funny at first, but then tried doing a whole "characterization" and "developing plot" thing which just wasn't good on any level. In fact, it makes me doubt whether the comic was funny to begin with, but I honestly don't feel like going back and looking.

Plus... well, I enjoyed the really bad puns well enough, but I'm pretty sure that stringing two words with similar sounds together only qualifies as alliteration in the most technical sense. Certainly not good alliteration.

Sweet Friendship Jayne avatar by Crown of Thorns

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khantalas View Post
    None. I'm a webcomic lover. I love every silly webcomic out there.
    Then you've obviously never read GU Comics. It's actually kind of addicting, trying to find how unfunny a single comic can possibly be.
    Do you get my point?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I had lost 8-bit Theatre a long ago, when I realized I can get the same jokes by watching the Simpsons. Perry-Bible Fellowship, which is an amazing comic-strip, has been pulling its webcomic punches recently. Same goes with Diesel Sweeties... each strip is tagged with a punchline which hopefully garners enough lawl to make it into a T-Shirt.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

ninja'd by Neek. After about strip, oh, 150ish, 8-bit goes down the pooper as it where. Outside of that, WTF Comics, not because its bad, but because it updates erraticaly, and user Friendly, because its so painfuly unfunny as to make me want to cry.

I like Gu Comics,
    when i lay me down to sleep,
    i pray Cthulhu my soul to keep

I play WoW, do you?

Zulajas - Troll Hunter - Doomhammer
    Taelsyne - Blood Elf Warlock - Fire Tree
    Manmosurenja - Draenei Shaman - Kil'Jaden

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

PvP hasn't quite lost me yet, but it's in the process of losing me. Just nothing worth visiting the site for recently, but I still have hope.

Ctrl+Alt+Del has lost me and lost me hard. It's the Cathy of webcomics.

Dominic Deegan has kinda lost me. I don't like it anymore, and I haven't for a while, but I still read it every day because this is the best thread ever. It's campy fun in the vein of Ed Wood movies.
    a secret to everybody.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by ElfLad View Post
    Dominic Deegan has kinda lost me. I don't like it anymore, and I haven't for a while, but I still read it every day because this is the best thread ever. It's campy fun in the vein of Ed Wood movies.
    Actually, I would admittedly probably still read it if he would just properly archive the thing so that it's convenient to track down where you left off. But I would still be irritated by it.

This is kinda off topic, but what does "campy" mean?

9. - Top - End - #9

Only if PVP is the For Better or For Worse of webcomics.
    <Rexatar
    Spoiler
    Show

Fiscal Mereor, by NecroPaladin.

Spoiler
    Show

Kyrian, describing my very own Fourth Empire...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyrian View Post
    ...god damned moron organizations full of morons...

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Tormsskull View Post
    Even better. Boy from Turkey and girl from UK wake up in Vegas married to one another. We'll call it Dude, Where's My Country?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Closed Account

See, this is where I can't follow you. We are thinking about the same Cathy, right?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    It usually means over the top or hokey. It can also mean homosexual in some context.

I rarely give up on a comic. But I did finally give up on CAD. The game jokes were usually decent to good, but man Ethan just got old.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Closed Account

That Linux guy needed more screen time on CAD. He was the best buffer for the comic.

13. - Top - End - #13

I only tend to stick with web comics I really like to start with, though I have tried a ton and just not followed up on them.

The only one I ever really gave up on was Earthsong. Not because it's not good - it is - but because Lady Yates got so busy reworking her story for the collected edition to be published that she confused the heck out of me by putting up a mixture of old revamps and new stuff until I kinda lost track of what the heck was going on.
    Elliot's Alignment Definitions

Elliot's forum - The Chaos Cascade - welcomes all nice people.

14. - Top - End - #14

Actually, I would admittedly probably still read it if he would just properly archive the thing so that it's convenient to track down where you left off. But I would still be irritated by it.

"Campy" means, "bad, but really fun to make fun of."

Have you and your friends ever rented a movie that turned out to be horrible so you made fun of it and really enjoyed it? Ever seen MST3K? Same basic principle.
    a secret to everybody.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Closed Account

Like, um, Troy... and Daredevil.

And, longer um with more suspense, the Hulk.
    Last edited by Khantalas; 2007-02-21 at 08:07 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Really lost me haven't many, and I read a lot. First I'd name CAD, simply said, there's no reason to read it anymore. I don't get the jokes about the computer games, I really have no interest in them anymore. Then the characters, somehow they all ended up as one dimensional and lack any progress. I think the Winter-Een-Mas (or so) ended it for me, totally unfunny and pointless.

Second is Dominic Deegan. It lost me with the Storm of Souls, but I stayed and hoped for better times. Well, I got a War in Hell and a Justified Rape instead. Great. Honestly, I liked it once, and that is what makes it so painful. I've read a bit through the thread Elflad posted a link to and one point got me, the moral relativism. But honestly, there is a hell and I'd assume there also is a heaven, the example for an objective moral. And then there's the characters, they haven't shown any progress since the whole story started. Luna is still the same little attention ***** (I don't know if it's necessary, but better replace it with stars) that tries to kill herself everytime people start not to be around to comfort her. Dominic is absolutly the same, but for some strange reason he's a lot stronger now without ever doing something about it. Then we have one of the newer updates where the teachers need spellbooks for a simple spell while not even the most unexperienced ever needed one before. I think DD should have ended with the Storm of Souls and killed of Dominic. But instead we have the DBZ syndrom, nobody really dies and nothing ever ends.

I admit to still check upon the updates once in a while in hope they get better, but they simply don't do. Usually I have four criteria for a webcomic, it needs have 1.) good art, 2.) a good humor 3.) a proper plot 4.) interesting characters. If it has either of them I will read it to a part. Inverloch for example has no overly great plot, isn't funny and the characters aren't really that great, but the art saves a lot. Also, I prefer a simplistic artstyle like OoTS or Legendary over a complicated but bad looking one.

About movies being so bad it gets good to make fun about it, I'll throw in Van Hellsing, I haven't laughed this much in a movie since a long time. Troy was painful, not funny.

17. - Top - End - #17

Hey... I thought Troy was good...

Anywho, I'm on the verge of giving up CAD, it never really was funny, or better than mediocre in any sense. It had it's moments, but they were too few and far apart.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

How has Megatokyo not been mentioned yet? It almost defines promising comic that trainwrecked. I suppose you have to have been reading webcomics for a long time to have been around for the good days to walk away from though.

Something Positive is the other one I've walked away from.
    Last edited by Alex Kidd; 2007-02-22 at 03:46 AM.
    Avi by Djinn in Tonic

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd View Post
    How has Megatokyo not been mentioned yet? It almost defines promising comic that trainwrecked. I suppose you have to have been reading webcomics for a long time to have been around for the good days to walk away from though.
    Hmm, have to agree. One day a couple years ago I read through the entire Megatokyo archive... but then never read it again.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kidd View Post

Something Positive is the other one I've walked away from.
    I didn't mention either of them because I couldn't read through either of them in the first place.

Megatokyo just had Piro be all emo and whiny, then he had all these girls coming up to him saying, "OOOOH, Piro-san! Your art is so good!" "Piro-san! I love you!" "Piro-san! I wish to have your low-self-esteem-ridden children! Impregnate me!" "Piro-san! You're so awesome!"

And Piro is a representation of the artist. That's, like, one level above sprite comics where the authors come down from the ceiling declaring their godhood. I got sick of it right away, but I still read for twenty more comics to give it a chance. Unfortunately, the plot moves like a glacier, so that was 17 comics of Piro being sad and Japanese girls going crazy over him compared to 3 strips of Largo doing something moderately amusing. Gave it up right there.

Something Positive has some good jokes, but almost every character seemed to be the same sarcastic jackass in personality. It's like if everybody in Order of the Stick was Eugene Greenhilt. The characters can be funny, but they get old fast.
    a secret to everybody.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

I think Megatokyo really lost its way when Largo left...
    "We are all responsible for everybody."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

I sort of gave up on VGCats. I mean, I still read it when the new one goes up, but I don't expect much nor would I miss it if I stopped altogether. It has its moments, but for the most part they're just stupid sex or vulgar jokes that just aren't funny to me. Oh well, can't please everyone all the time.

I tend to give up on comics that run too long. It seems like sometimes an artist will just keep writing them, but really they should end. Yes, we'd miss them, but I think that's better than running them into the ground and disappointing fans that way. I'm working on a new series called Kingdom Blue, and I'm making certain to have it END at some point. None of this "9 years later, I'm still doing it!" stuff. That kills story-based comics.

23. - Top - End - #23

"Campy" means, "bad, but really fun to make fun of."

Have you and your friends ever rented a movie that turned out to be horrible so you made fun of it and really enjoyed it? Ever seen MST3K? Same basic principle.
    Ah, like Six String Samurai or Evil Dead.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Questionable Content. I was like "hey look! It's a drama webcomic that talks about indie music. Awesome." Then I read through all the archives and started checking it weekly. Then I suddenly relized the jokes are forced and most of the time pretty lame. Like he has to make a punchline every comic. Then I relized that the drama stuff was starting to get a bit forced. Then I relized he started to allude to the same indie music over and over. Then I left.
    sign by egobuttz

25. - Top - End - #25

I have a similar complaint with Questionable Content. Mainly, I haven't heard a music reference in a long time. The plot often meanders and doesn't go anywhere for long stretches of times, but when it does--it's definitely forced. His aim for a punchline isn't as bad Diesel Sweeties, though.

Something Positive has become less of a gross, insult everyone and your mom comic to more of a drama; I enjoy the story, there's no doubt. I enjoy the characters, though--I've never had a complaint about them.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

26. - Top - End - #26

Dominic Deegan, oracle for hire. It was funny at first, but then tried doing a whole "characterization" and "developing plot" thing which just wasn't good on any level. In fact, it makes me doubt whether the comic was funny to begin with, but I honestly don't feel like going back and looking.

Plus... well, I enjoyed the really bad puns well enough, but I'm pretty sure that stringing two words with similar sounds together only qualifies as alliteration in the most technical sense. Certainly not good alliteration.
    I agree with you. The main reason I continued following that comic was for the strip slaying game on the forum. Unfortunately, the forum went down.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    I tend to give up on comics that run too long. It seems like sometimes an artist will just keep writing them, but really they should end. Yes, we'd miss them, but I think that's better than running them into the ground and disappointing fans that way. I'm working on a new series called Kingdom Blue, and I'm making certain to have it END at some point. None of this "9 years later, I'm still doing it!" stuff. That kills story-based comics.
    I dunno, Pete Abrams pulls it off really well. But it takes a lot of talent, which is something that most spare-time webcomic writers don't have a lot of, to be honest.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

There are some comics I don't read because my original reason for reading them vanished. Often this is because there are no endings. Deegan, PvP, perhaps some I've forgotten.

Then there are some I didn't bother trying to keep up with anymore, because there were no updates. Forbez, Bookwyrms, Fallen Angels Used Books, 9th Elsewhere.

There are quite a few comics I still follow. There are very few that had a proper ending. I can only think of one right now, and I never read Queen of Wands during it's original run. Inverloch will have one once it's creator manages that, and that is good. There are some very rarely updated comics that I do keep up with, like Pawn (and Goblins, and lately Inverloch), because they promise a story that will end.

Comics with a proper ending are so very rare. :(

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Aside from CAD, self-explanatory, I've only really given up on Goblins. Reading through the archives was a blast but it just moves too slow for my taste. An update consisting solely of goblins kicking the sh*t out of each other just isn't for me. Its one that I keep meaning to go back to though.

PvP I still check daily. Its not quite as funny as it once was but it still stands head and shoulders above pretty much everything else out there.
    The Omnians were a God-fearing people. They had a great deal to fear.
    -Terry Pratchett

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by bluish_wolf View Post
    I agree with you. The main reason I continued following that comic was for the strip slaying game on the forum. Unfortunately, the forum went down.
    Yeah. I don't really care for the comic, but I didn't start disliking Mookie until then. Taking down his forum and taking weeks to put it back up (which he hasn't even done yet), when he was literally one PM away from putting it back up, and he didn't even reply to the fans who e-mailed him about it basically demonstrates that he doesn't give a flying boop about his fanbase.
    a secret to everybody.