New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default ressurective immortality

so I am making a villain for an upcoming campaign who, while he can be killed, always comes back in a new body. (he's also an evil scarecrow, but that's a matter for another thread.)
    I know that some characters just keep coming back because the party members drag them back to the nearest temple an resurrect them, or they get reincarnated, but that is time consuming and expensive.
    is there a way to make this automatic? the idea is he's actually an evil spirit animating a scarecrow body, and whenever said body is destroyed the spirit possesses another scarecrow.

I know this is probably really poorly phrased and confusing but any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: ressurective immortality

Is the clone spell sufficient for this purpose? If they're a scarecrow, they won't have the rot issue associated with leaving clones unused for too long.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LostDeviljho View Post
    so I am making a villain for an upcoming campaign who, while he can be killed, always comes back in a new body. (he's also an evil scarecrow, but that's a matter for another thread.)
    I know that some characters just keep coming back because the party members drag them back to the nearest temple an resurrect them, or they get reincarnated, but that is time consuming and expensive.
    is there a way to make this automatic? the idea is he's actually an evil spirit animating a scarecrow body, and whenever said body is destroyed the spirit possesses another scarecrow.

I know this is probably really poorly phrased and confusing but any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.
    Make it a possessive ghost. Those come back on their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
    Is the clone spell sufficient for this purpose? If they're a scarecrow, they won't have the rot issue associated with leaving clones unused for too long.
    I don't actually know which clone spell you are referring too. there are a lot of spells in a lot of books, and I don't exactly have them memorized. where is it from?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Player's Handbook. It has been reproduced (along with all other PHB spells) here.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Make it a possessive ghost. Those come back on their own.
    again, where do I find this?
    my google-fu is weak.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds a lot like a lich, honestly. Looking like a scarecrow instead of a skeleton is probably not a big deal; and it gives the party a way to deal with him once they figure out he keeps coming back. So you could mechanically make him like a lich, and he just looks like a scarecrow. The only tricky part is giving your PC's enough information that they should know in-world without just spoiling the whole thing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LostDeviljho View Post
    again, where do I find this?
    my google-fu is weak.
    The Ghost template is in both the SRD and the Monster Manual I. The Book of Vile Darkness also has something he'd find useful - Imprison Possessor (page 98) makes the Malevolence permanent... potentially.

You might also have fun with the Fiend of Posession PrC (Fiend Folio).
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2014-06-14 at 08:53 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

I vote for the Body Leech PrC. It's a Psionic character which traps creatures in Ectoplasmic Cocoons and can inflict Ability Burn to them to recharge their own PP, but at 5th level it gets the ability to, when it dies, swap minds with a previously determined cocoon captive, going into their body like True Mind Switch without the XP cost.

Though honestly the Ghost suggestion above is the easiest method.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Sounds a lot like a lich, honestly. Looking like a scarecrow instead of a skeleton is probably not a big deal; and it gives the party a way to deal with him once they figure out he keeps coming back. So you could mechanically make him like a lich, and he just looks like a scarecrow. The only tricky part is giving your PC's enough information that they should know in-world without just spoiling the whole thing.
    Very much this. You could refluff a Lich, modify a few things (make the body a straw construct instead of an undead, etc.) but the essential function remains the same.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!