New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: D&D glitches

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default D&D glitches

So what D&D glitches have you noticed that no sane DM would allow even if the RAW supports it.

1) Instead of moving 60 feet each round (using double movement) the party if there five or more members with 30 feet movement (or 4 members with 30 movement and one or more with 20 movement) could grapple each other to move forward. On each member's turn that person makes a grapple check to move the party at half her/his speed while the other members choose to fail the grapple, and this continues for each member's turn until they reach their destination. With 5 members you could reach a speed of 75 feet per round 15 feet faster then if they double movement.

2) Using a Bastard sword two handed is treated as a martial weapon and using it one handed is treated as an exotic weapon. Now if a Cleric, rogue or what ever decides to take exotic weapon proficiency bastard sword s/he's proficient using it one handed. However since Exotic weapon proficiency feat is treated as having gained proficiency with only one weapon, and in this case using bastard sword one handed s/he is not proficient with the two handed Bastard Sword because it's a martial weapon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Default Re: D&D glitches

The first point is well known about; "Hugging you friends lets you move faster!"

The second... isn't real. You can use any one-handed weapon two-handed. End of panic.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

3. - Top - End - #3

DwarfBarbarianGuy

One word

Polymorph
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    1) Instead of moving 60 feet each round (using double movement) the party if there five or more members with 30 feet movement (or 4 members with 30 movement and one or more with 20 movement) could grapple each other to move forward. On each member's turn that person makes a grapple check to move the party at half her/his speed while the other members choose to fail the grapple, and this continues for each member's turn until they reach their destination. With 5 members you could reach a speed of 75 feet per round 15 feet faster then if they double movement.
    Initiating a grapple and moving while grappled are both standard actions (not sure if you can use iterative or offhand attacks to get multiple people). So you lose some ground on the first round to get things set up... assuming you have X participates, you'll need X/2 standard actions to get everyone into the same grapple, so a 5-member party could move 30' on round 1 and then 75' on round 2 for a total of 105', while a non-grappler could double-move for 120'. After that first round, though... neat trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    2) Using a Bastard sword two handed is treated as a martial weapon and using it one handed is treated as an exotic weapon. Now if a Cleric, rogue or what ever decides to take exotic weapon proficiency bastard sword s/he's proficient using it one handed. However since Exotic weapon proficiency feat is treated as having gained proficiency with only one weapon, and in this case using bastard sword one handed s/he is not proficient with the two handed Bastard Sword because it's a martial weapon.
    Ah, my favorite weapon... Gripping both hands on a one-handed weapon you're already proficient with doesn't require any additional proficiency, melee or otherwise. The ability to use it two-handed is given by the weapon size, not your proficiency with it, as described in the Equipment/Weapons section of the SRD.

One thing I've always wondered about, though, is War deities that grant WF and proficiency with Bastard Swords... Kelanen and Mayaheine, I think? They grant it as a two-handed martial weapon, yes? So you still have to burn a feat on EWP to use it one-handed?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
    The second... isn't real. You can use any one-handed weapon two-handed. End of panic.
    Except the bastard sword is a one handed weapon, which happens to be usable as a martial weapon two handed.
    ٩๏̯͡๏
    New found land. It's like Untitled Document, for places - Flickerdart

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Gezina View Post
    Except the bastard sword is a one handed weapon, which happens to be usable as a martial weapon two handed.
    That's funny, I've always looked at it as two-handed weapon with an associated feat to let you use it one-handed, like a non-sucky Monkey Grip.

But it doesn't matter: if you can use it one-handed, the you can use it two-handed.
    If a tree falls in the forest and the PCs aren't around to hear it... what do I roll to see how loud it is?

Is 3.5 a fried-egg, chili-chutney sandwich?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

There's the famous 'ten-foot pole' glitch. Basically, you are allowed to buy a ten foot pole for 2sp, and a ten foot ladder for 5cp. What you can do is buy a ladder, then split it in two, then sell the two poles for 1sp each.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-02-23 at 11:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

Last edited by Hyfigh; 2007-02-23 at 12:00 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

If we're calling them glitches, does that make Pun-Pun Neo?

Whoa.
    Terrence Randall and the Kinslayer by NEO|Phyte
    Dencamp Bertrande takes a bow.
    Spoiler
    Show

Terrence Randall by The Stoney One

Rennac Belnades by Lord Iames.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ExHunterEmerald View Post
    If we're calling them glitches, does that make Pun-Pun Neo?

Whoa.
    Yes, I am Pun-Pun

So, is the Omniscificer Agent Smith, then?
    Last edited by NEO|Phyte; 2007-02-23 at 12:10 PM.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

11. - Top - End - #11

Anybody ever noticed the grapple check on a heavy warhorse? Now get me any proof a horse can do that.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Also:

* Unarmed Strike is a simple weapon. Monks are not proficient with simple weapons.

(This one can be explained away by saying all creatures capable of making an attack roll are automatically proficient with an unarmed strike, it's just not explicitly stated anywhere. Not sure if the same reasoning applies to gauntlets, however.)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Do you want to try grappling a horse? I doubt you'd have a lot of luck... The check's used for defensive purposes too, you know.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

What exactly is the Omniscifier?
    Spectacular Dr Insano avatar by RPGsr4me

No one plays Heroclix

Place holder ego padding:
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Oh my goodness it's Who!

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Who View Post
    What exactly is the Omniscifier?
    Uses another infinite loop in order to have infinite(yes, infinite, not nigh-infinite, INFINITE) checks to all skills. Then makes a knowledge check about everything in the world, and suddenly knows everything. Including a certain kobold called Pun-Pun, who is going to ascend one day. Then the Omniscifier simply tells the gods to smite him.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton View Post
    Uses another infinite loop in order to have infinite(yes, infinite, not nigh-infinite, INFINITE) checks to all skills. Then makes a knowledge check about everything in the world, and suddenly knows everything. Including a certain kobold called Pun-Pun, who is going to ascend one day. Then the Omniscifier simply tells the gods to smite him.
    Or smites his parents.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton View Post
    Thank you my good sir, have a cookie
    Spectacular Dr Insano avatar by RPGsr4me

No one plays Heroclix

Place holder ego padding:
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Oh my goodness it's Who!

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Also:

* Unarmed Strike is a simple weapon. Monks are not proficient with simple weapons.

(This one can be explained away by saying all creatures capable of making an attack roll are automatically proficient with an unarmed strike, it's just not explicitly stated anywhere. Not sure if the same reasoning applies to gauntlets, however.)
    It's de facto that any creature is proficient with natural weapons. It'll be funny to expect an Awakened Scorpion to take weapon proficiency with its stinger.

As for the Bastard sword: This is a left-over from 2nd ed, where the sword could function as a long sword or two-handed sword (and do damage accordingly) without having to carry either around. 3rd edition provides no different dice for wielding a sword with both hands, except you add Strength x 1.5.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Anybody ever noticed the grapple check on a heavy warhorse? Now get me any proof a horse can do that.
    I've had the 'joyful experience' of watching two horses mate.

They've got grapple.

Trust me.
    Three things to remember about D&D:
    1. Always go right. It's right, after all.
    2. If it's not a party member, it's just XP.
    3. D&D is the only game where you really can kill first and ask questions later.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by ravenkith View Post
    I've had the 'joyful experience' of watching two horses mate.

They've got grapple.

Trust me.
    "All sorts of nastiness happens in a dungeon. That's why they are not called "malls"." -Wehrkind

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherMC View Post
    I think this warrants the use of , not .

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    There's the famous 'ten-foot pole' glitch. Basically, you are allowed to buy a ten foot pole for 2sp, and a ten foot ladder for 5cp. What you can do is buy a ladder, then split it in two, then sell the two poles for 1sp each.
    That was debunked in the last DnD glitches thread.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Voleta View Post
    That was debunked in the last DnD glitches thread.
    Really? What was the problem with it?

You know, aside from the whole 'infinite money loop' thing.
    Last edited by Green Bean; 2007-02-23 at 01:51 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by h_v View Post
    Really? What was the problem with it?

You know, aside from the whole 'infinite money loop' thing.
    I believe the problem was the fact that each pole would have a series of holes in them...thereby weakening the structure of the pole and rendering it valueless.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingDM View Post
    I believe the problem was the fact that each pole would have a series of holes in them...thereby weakening the structure of the pole and rendering it valueless.

Exactly, but I shall elaborate.

There are two kinds of a ladders. Straight, and A-Frame. You can't possibly do this "glitch" with an A-frame, and I think its pretty safe to assume that at least 25% of ladders in D&D are A-frame (The people have freaking alchemist fire and magic, surely some gnome has invented the hinge).

So maybe you can purchase ladders that are all straight ladders, but there is still the matter of the shape of the components. It could be a box straight ladder, meaning that it is something like boards set up like a shelf without a back to it. Really, getting flat boards is easier than trimming a pole into a nice circle, so I feel like this would be more common than dowel ladders. Of course, straight brances or saplings could be used as the sides. Regardless, you would have to find a dowel straight ladder.

If you did find an abundant supply of dowel straight ladders, you would have to be careful how the rungs are attatched. They could be hammered in from the outside, which would be the most beneficial. They could be notched, or it could have holes all the way through.

A good sturdy ladder would have some kind of metal reinforcing on the joints, so you would have to deal with that as well.

All in all, if you really think about it, the chances of it working are slim. You could say "I split the ladder in two and throw away the rungs", just as you could say "I steal his horse and ride off into the sunset". However, its much more complicated than that.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    If a horse steps on your foot, you're grappled. Trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Neek View Post
    It's de facto that any creature is proficient with natural weapons.
    Actually it's not. "Unarmed strike" is explicitly listed as a simple weapon. Not all classes get access to all simple weapons. Monsters are listed as having certain weapons and they are stated to have proficiency with all weapons listed for them. Unarmed strike is not listed for elves, dwarves, gnomes or halflings. Humans don't have stats at all. If a weapon isn't listed for a monster, you can consult their "Type" listing, which might say something like being proficient with all natural weapons. For humanoids it says this:
    —Proficient with all simple weapons, or by character class.

So, since monks (and wizards and rogues, maybe bards - I'm not sure) don't get simple weapon proficiency, then they aren't proficient with their natural weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingDM View Post
    To me, the problem is more that a 10' ladder is not specifically constructed of two 10' poles. What you have after taking it apart is not a pair of 10' poles, but instead two halves of a 10' ladder.

---------------

Another glitch (?) is that there are no infants, children or juveniles in D&D, except for dragons.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!

27. - Top - End - #27

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Actually....

They do mention how many young or hatchlings will be going along with adults in many monster manual entries, and in a few, they mention to give young ones less HD. I'll see if I can find an example.

Edit-Here we go. Page 120 in the Monster manual gives the stats for making a young giant.
    Last edited by The_Werebear; 2007-02-23 at 02:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terraneaux View Post
    Adventurers. Murderous hobos with near-deific power who are both merciless and incredibly competent at personal combat.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

d20 Modern and Star Wars d20 contains rules for creating children, &c. I prefer the House Rule that you can find in homebrewing somewhere.

And I sadly never read that into the MM to notice that natural weapons require a general proficiency, so I presumed it was de facto. Thank you for the correction, however.
    — Nicolaos of Aepternacos

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird View Post
    If a horse steps on your foot, you're grappled. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamebird View Post
    true, but horses aren’t that great at aiming their feet. And don’t tell me you wouldn’t be able to dodge it when you are prepared for it. I am not questioning a horses ability to maintain a grapple, but starting one I find rather dubious.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #30

They can simply knock you over with mass.

I agree they can't grapple a person in the manner that a human can, but a horse that's sharing your square, knocked you down and trying to stomp on you will be giving you all the game effects of grapple.
    New Terminator movie = Awesome!