New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Why The Weapon Shrinkage, Belkar?

Here's a conundrum that goes all the way back to strip #001-

Why, oh why, did Belkar suffer "weapon shrinkage" when the team upgraded to 3.5 rules? Short swords and daggers alike are both listed as light weapons, hence either can be used one-handed by a Small creature and also as an off-hand weapon by one using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. I ran a test character generation using v3.5 E-Tools to confirm my theory, and with either short swords or daggers the To Hit bonus remains the same for a Halfling Ranger of 2nd level or above with 2-weapon specialty.

The only difference is that short swords do 1d4+STR bonus damage for a halfling, whereas daggers do only 1d3+STR. So Belkar voluntarily, as far as I can tell, gave up a full 25% of his damage potential. This is totally out of character for our beloved psychopath. The only advantages I can see him gaining are 1) having a throwing weapon option in hand at all times, which we have seen him use against various foes (the warehouse fight with Miko and later against the hobgoblins outside Azure City both come to mind), and 2) the daggers weigh only 1 pound, vs. 2 lbs for short swords, so he could carry a large number of daggers without a weight penalty. Now, point 2) definitely would be attractive for Death's Lil' Helper, but would these two occasional advantages taken together still offset the 25% damage loss in every round of melee, considering that Belkar is primarily a melee fighter?

And since this is a question prompted by the very first episode, I apologize if it's been covered somewhere already and I haven't found that thread yet. (The search function on the site has me baffled, it returns 20 pages of results no matter what search terms I enter.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Also, everything Darth Paul just said.
    Namer Of MitD Threads
    Charter Member and Head Ninja of Peelee's Lotsey Ninjas
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    [furiously scribbles notes on how Darth Paul is the MitD]

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Why The Weapon Shrinkage, Belkar?

Belkar is size Small, therefore he uses weapons sized for Small. RAW strikes again, as is par for the course throughout the first book.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Paul View Post
    Here's a conundrum that goes all the way back to strip #001-

Why, oh why, did Belkar suffer "weapon shrinkage" when the team upgraded to 3.5 rules? Short swords and daggers alike are both listed as light weapons, hence either can be used one-handed by a Small creature and also as an off-hand weapon by one using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. I ran a test character generation using v3.5 E-Tools to confirm my theory, and with either short swords or daggers the To Hit bonus remains the same for a Halfling Ranger of 2nd level or above with 2-weapon specialty.

The only difference is that short swords do 1d4+STR bonus damage for a halfling, whereas daggers do only 1d3+STR. So Belkar voluntarily, as far as I can tell, gave up a full 25% of his damage potential. This is totally out of character for our beloved psychopath. The only advantages I can see him gaining are 1) having a throwing weapon option in hand at all times, which we have seen him use against various foes (the warehouse fight with Miko and later against the hobgoblins outside Azure City both come to mind), and 2) the daggers weigh only 1 pound, vs. 2 lbs for short swords, so he could carry a large number of daggers without a weight penalty. Now, point 2) definitely would be attractive for Death's Lil' Helper, but would these two occasional advantages taken together still offset the 25% damage loss in every round of melee, considering that Belkar is primarily a melee fighter?

And since this is a question prompted by the very first episode, I apologize if it's been covered somewhere already and I haven't found that thread yet. (The search function on the site has me baffled, it returns 20 pages of results no matter what search terms I enter.)
    In Third Edition, a character of one size category could use weapons designed for creatures of another size category as if they were different weapons of his own size category without incurring a penalty to hit for doing so. A Small character like Belkar could use Medium daggers as though they were Small short swords, for instance. In 3.5 Edition, however, characters can't use weapons sized for creatures that don't share their size category without incurring penalties to hit. The joke is that when the universe upgraded to 3.5 Edition, instead of becoming Small short swords, or remaining Medium daggers that he could use, albeit with a penalty, Belkar's Medium daggers became Small daggers.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2014-06-20 at 11:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

Oh, this brings back memories. This was the content of the very first post I ever made here.

The answer, is that 3.5ed has variably sized daggers and short swords. In 3.0ed, a halfling who wanted to dual-wield light weapons used two daggers, "Dagger" being a Tiny weapon and thus a weapon which was light for a Small or larger creature, one-handed for a Tiny creature, two-handed for a Diminutive creature, and unwieldable by a Fine creature. Short swords, being a Small weapon, would have been one-handed for Belkar, causing him to have a penalty for using a non-light weapon in his off-hand. Daggers did 1d4 damage, short swords did 1d6.

In 3.5ed, Belkar, being a halfling, has to use special "small weapons," or get penalties for the fact that his weapons aren't designed for a halfling's hands; his daggers are smaller than a human's daggers, and do 1d3 damage rather than 1d4. As Vaarsuvius was not allowed to change her/his barred school from Conjuration, so Belkar was not allowed to change his weapon of choice from daggers to "small short swords."

5. - Top - End - #5

I ran a test character generation using v3.5 E-Tools ...
    There's your primary problem, I know the lead coder for Code Monkey Publishing, Mynex (at least he was on e-tools)...

The less said about his shoddy approach to coding and business the better.
    EvilEeyore AntiSocialite

6. - Top - End - #6

The thing that puzzles me about that approach is, well, what does v3.5 E-Tools have to do with 3.0ed? Running a test with it would seem a more logical approach to just going, "Hey, why does Belkar use daggers?" than to trying to figure out an aspect of the conversion from 3.0ed.

Though, again, I didn't understand the joke either until Rich explained it to me long ago--though, in my case, it was a matter of not having noticed the 3.5ed weapon-size rule.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

For what it's worth, Belkar wasn't exactly giving up 25% of his damage potential. Assuming Belkar was stacking on only +4 or so to an attack between magic weapons, STR, and feats (which is a pretty lowballed estimate), Death's Little Helper was comparing 6.5 damage on average to 6 damage on average. Oh, the humanity~!

But seriously, it's a half-point on average. Not going to be relevant.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

ClericGirl

Belkar's objection appeared to be based around the perception that size matters.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Terrador View Post
    For what it's worth, Belkar wasn't exactly giving up 25% of his damage potential. Assuming Belkar was stacking on only +4 or so to an attack between magic weapons, STR, and feats (which is a pretty lowballed estimate), Death's Little Helper was comparing 6.5 damage on average to 6 damage on average. Oh, the humanity~!

But seriously, it's a half-point on average. Not going to be relevant.
    Every point of damage matters to a munchkin like Belkar! (cue rimshot)

Ok, im going home after that one, that was terrible even for my standards.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

A big part of the joke is that, while most underpowered builds from 3.0 got buffs in the 3.5 conversion, the most noticeable change in Belkar's build was that his weapons got smaller (and thus deal slightly less damage). The rest of that comic is spent outlining all the ways that other party members got more powerful. Durkon, as a dwarf, gained a stability bonus, which IIRC makes him harder to knock over or knock back. Elan, as a bard, gained the ability to wear light armor without penalizing his spellcasting, plus some extra skill points per level. Even Roy got an extra class skill, Intimidate. The ranger class was significantly cleaned up and improved for 3.5, but at the level the party was in strip 001, it would have been virtually identical to 3.0, so the biggest change in Belkar's character sheet was the smaller, less-damaging weapons.
    I have decided I no longer like my old signature, so from now on, the alphorn-wielding lobster yodeler in my profile pic shall be presented without elaboration.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Every point of damage matters to a munchkin like Belkar! (cue rimshot)

Ok, im going home after that one, that was terrible even for my standards.
    I disagree. I took me a couple readings to get that, but once I understood, I thought it was quite funny.

To the OP: Belkar didn't switch weapons when he suffered weapon shrinkage- the weapons he was using literally shrank, going from medium to small.

Peelee’s Lotsey

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post

To the OP: Belkar didn't switch weapons when he suffered weapon shrinkage- the weapons he was using literally shrank, going from medium to small.
    Are you sure? It really looks like a short sword he is holding at first, and he definitely goes to daggers. (As he says to the wights in #515, "Two daggers, no waiting.") Granted, the first few strips were still just rule jokes, so it's not well to read too much into them, but then the joke wouldn't carry on that long without a reason.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Are you sure? It really looks like a short sword he is holding at first, and he definitely goes to daggers. (As he says to the wights in #515, "Two daggers, no waiting.") Granted, the first few strips were still just rule jokes, so it's not well to read too much into them, but then the joke wouldn't carry on that long without a reason.
    I never thought they were anything but daggers, if for no other reason than ive seen real short swords, which are proportioned significantly differently from daggers.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

What he is holding afterwords is the same thing that he is holding before it shrinks, only smaller. He goes from medium daggers to small daggers.

Peelee’s Lotsey

15. - Top - End - #15

Wha? His weapons shrink. He doesn't change weapons.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

The joke is about the changes in weapon size rules between 3.0 and 3.5. That's literally all there is to it. The joke, such as it is, certainly doesn't "carry on", either. It's never mentioned again.
    Last edited by Morty; 2014-06-21 at 09:55 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

17. - Top - End - #17

The only difference is that short swords do 1d4+STR bonus damage for a halfling, whereas daggers do only 1d3+STR. So Belkar voluntarily, as far as I can tell, gave up a full 25% of his damage potential.
    Who thaught you math?

The average damage with 1d4 is 2.5 while it's 2 with 1d3 (1*0,25 + 2*0,25 + 3*0,25 + 4*0,25 = 2,5 and 1*1/3 + 2*1/3 + 3*1/3 = 2)

So if we admit that Belkar has 14STR (he might have 16 though), his damage went from 2,5+2 to 2+2. Loss of 0,5 on a basis of 4,5 damages, which would be 11%.
    If we admit that he has 16 STR, the loss of damages is only 9%.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Who thaught you math?
    Who taught you English? Also, I wish you'd managed to work a 6% in there.

Two hints there. Ultra bonus points to those who get the reference.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2014-06-24 at 10:06 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

19. - Top - End - #19

AssassinGuy

Who thaught[sic] you math?

The average damage with 1d4 is 2.5 while it's 2 with 1d3 (1*0,25 + 2*0,25 + 3*0,25 + 4*0,25 = 2,5 and 1*1/3 + 2*1/3 + 3*1/3 = 2)

So if we admit that Belkar has 14STR (he might have 16 though), his damage went from 2,5+2 to 2+2. Loss of 0,5 on a basis of 4,5 damages, which would be 11%.
    If we admit that he has 16 STR, the loss of damages is only 9%.
    25% of his weapon base damage, from a max of 4 to a max of 3, is what I meant. I didn't say anything about STR damage, I never got into what the characters' bonuses are. That's a thread I've never visited.

Your response does point out the ridiculousness (ridiculosity?) of Belkar, when his STR bonus equals the max damage for his melee weapons. Exceeds it, even, when he kicks up the patented Halfling Rage Attack.
    Last edited by Darth Paul; 2014-06-24 at 07:56 AM.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

20. - Top - End - #20

[QUOTE=Peelee;17674474]
    Who thaught you math?/QUOTE]

Who taught you English? Also, I wish you'd managed to work a 6% in there.

Two hints there. Ultra bonus points to those who get the reference.
    Oops, typo. Well, maybe I can rely on my signature for this one, can I?

Tried to got a eight for the reference to Shane Black's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but couldn't. (It's 1/6 = 8%)
    Also I believe that the other quote is with "Grammar", not "English".

@Darth Paul: Where did you mentionned base damages? Why would we take these base damage into account when the stat bonuses are totally matters? Would say that a 1d6 weapon is better than a 1d4+STR weapon?
    I can't answer about why these weapon would be better, but I can be a Mathomancer :)
    Also, regarding Belkar being a melee fighter, well... He's merely just a melee fighter only because he's quite unable to do anything he should do as a ranger (tracking, spells, use of an animal companion in fight and different skills).
    If you want a pure melee fighter, don't pick Belkar, pick a warrior.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

21. - Top - End - #21

Don't pick a warrior, that class has absolutely nothing over Belkar and several things under Belkar.

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

The only difference is that short swords do 1d4+STR bonus damage for a halfling, whereas daggers do only 1d3+STR. So Belkar voluntarily, as far as I can tell, gave up a full 25% of his damage potential.
    You are correct, I should have said base damage potential. As it read, I can see where you were coming from. I stand corrected. But I did mention the damage range for the Small- size weapons in my OP.
    Namer Of MitD Threads

23. - Top - End - #23
    Firbolg in the Playground

Funny thing is, Belkar couldn't have existed back in 2E. The ranger minimums would've force him right out.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

[QUOTE=Quild;17674932]

Oops, typo. Well, maybe I can rely on my signature for this one, can I?

Tried to got a eight for the reference to Shane Black's Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, but couldn't. (It's 1/6 = 8%)
    Also I believe that the other quote is with "Grammar", not "English".
    And this I've managed to mangle both quotes. Oh well. Clearly you're coming out ahead of me on this one.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

25. - Top - End - #25

You are correct, I should have said base damage potential. As it read, I can see where you were coming from. I stand corrected. But I did mention the damage range for the Small- size weapons in my OP.
    And you don't seem to be addressing people actually answering your question in the OP, beyond expressing your apparent belief that the daggers shrinking was Belkar changing weapons rather than the weapons changing, so...have fun.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Don't pick a warrior, that class has absolutely nothing over Belkar and several things under Belkar.
    Wait what?
    Billions of feats, better HD, some useful class skills.

How is a ranger that doesn't use his rangers "things" better than a warrior?
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

27. - Top - End - #27

The warrior class has none of the things you just said; I'm guessing you're thinking of the fighter class.

28. - Top - End - #28

The warrior class has none of the things you just said; I'm guessing you're thinking of the fighter class.
    Seems to me that he does: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/cl...es.htm#warrior

I believe that I see your point, though.
    There again, I'm French, and only played with the french books :/
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

29. - Top - End - #29

...You realize that's in the "Variant Classes" section, right? If you're choosing from those, there is no "Ranger" to choose.

For the base game system and the game system Belkar is from, try this.

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

And you don't seem to be addressing people actually answering your question in the OP, beyond expressing your apparent belief that the daggers shrinking was Belkar changing weapons rather than the weapons changing, so...have fun.
    I said, I stood corrected by Quild on what my original wording was. That related to my original belief about the weapons, which is unchanged. Since that's just interpretation of Rich's art, we must agree to disagree. Belkar's daggers don't look like any real live daggers I've ever seen either, but then it's a stick-figure comic. I was going by the overall size relative to Belkar's torso and thinking it was a short sword originally. Then again, the hilt is about as long as the blade, it could be a dagger.

It's really not a big deal, I just wondered if there was a rule-based reason I was unaware of. I always thought that the size of a Small character meant they wielded their weapons less effectively, now I know thanks to the replies that it is the weapons that are smaller. Doesn't make much sense either way, but that's 3.5 for you.
    Namer Of MitD Threads