New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Subtle Bestow Curse

Alright, so I was reading the description of Bestow Curse the other day, and I was wondering if all the effects would be readaly noticable. Specifically the one that gives a -4 penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. I mean, if the character isn't doing any of those at the time the spell is cast, would they know that something was wrong?

Now as far as I can tell, since the spell requires words and touching, it would be hard for the character not to realize a spell was being cast on him. (Although if anyone has a good idea for how this could happen I'd love to hear it, I was thinking maybe while the person was asleep) But if the person bluffs them into thinking he's casting a helpful spell and instead casts bestow curse, would the character know?
    The Historian: This DM has the history of his world written out millenniums back. It is intricate, complex, and most importantly, incredibly long. Moreover, everything your characters are doing is based on the previous history. It also tends to lead to loudmouth NPCS who will explain hundreds of years of history at a time while the players try to gouge their eardrums out with mechanical pencils.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Subtle Bestow Curse

The best way of doing that would be to take some levels in divine prankster, from Races of Stone. Of course, this limits your race, deity, class and thus also domains. However, they can disguise their spells as comedic performances. If you're working against a group that has no reason to suspect the stand-up that just rolled in to town, and the leader happens to be called up as a volunteer, then who'd be the wiser?

Of course, this is even better when combined with mark of justice.
    Last edited by Stevenson; 2007-02-25 at 09:48 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

No they wouldn't, unless they suceeded against a DC 25+spell level Spellcraft roll, and then it would be much easier to just ID it as it's cast.
    My Webcomic:

Now in color!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Well, the Conceal Spellcasting skill trick from Complete Scoundrel could help keep your opponent from even knowing a spell was cast on him. A good dose of bluff couldn't hurt either. I am without my PHB right now, so I don't know if there is anything that might make the subject aware of the spell. Without more information, I guess it would be up to the DM.
    Currently Running
    The Gavisoria Games: IC | OOC
    The Obsidian Guild: IC | OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Silent, Stilled Bestow Curse delivered via a handshake or bump in a crowd?
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

You can hold the charge indefinately, provided you don't touch anything.

PC's walk in to meet with NPC. NPC casts Bestow Curse before the meeting. And shakes a PC's hand.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Silent, Stilled Bestow Curse delivered via a handshake or bump in a crowd?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    You can hold the charge indefinately, provided you don't touch anything.

PC's walk in to meet with NPC. NPC casts Bestow Curse before the meeting. And shakes a PC's hand.
    These are awesome and something I must remember.
    Thanks to zegma for my awesome avatar.
    Proudly the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub.
    We will not let Nessie down! http://www.petitiononline.com/PLEAOSAR/
    My DMs' Guild Stuff

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stevenson View Post
    The best way of doing that would be to take some levels in divine prankster, from Races of Stone. Of course, this limits your race, deity, class and thus also domains. However, they can disguise their spells as comedic performances. If you're working against a group that has no reason to suspect the stand-up that just rolled in to town, and the leader happens to be called up as a volunteer, then who'd be the wiser?
    Why go through all the trouble to get a new PrC when you can just take Disguise Spell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.