New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Order of the Stick in your games

After beginning to read the comic, I decided to place the Order of the Stick in my 3.5 campaign as another adventuring party. Who else has done this? What other characters/people have you put in your games?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: Order of the Stick in your games

I can't say I have gone out of the way to include things from the Order of the Stick, but I did have a very genre savvy bard at the beginning of my current campaign.

I do think certain ideas from the series have influenced some of my characterization decisions. For instance, after reading Start of Darkness I don't find myself content just using goblins and orcs as evil cannon fodder. I have no probem making them evil, even irredeemable so, but I feel like I need to include motives beyond, "thats just what they do, because the are evil".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I actually build NPC's based off of TV shows, movies, comics, and video games all the time. I try to pick characters that aren't too main-stream (such as Captain America or something like that) and give out bonus XP if one of the players catches the reference. I once made a L/N Fighter2/Ranger8 who specialized in repeating crossbows and named him Justice Fear. It only took two encounters before someone caught the reference.
    Last edited by illyahr; 2014-07-11 at 12:00 PM.
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

4. - Top - End - #4

In my first D&D campaign I remember including a high level (male) Barbarian/Bard named Beth that stumbled from tavern to tavern getting into fights over his name and searching for his father so that he could kill the S.O.B.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I actually think it's a pretty bad idea. the OOTS characters are not very well optimized and their strength comes from their narrative circumstance, which by putting them into your game, you have effectively removed. Without that, their novelty will wear off very quickly and then they're just like everybody else.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Take your inspirations from anywhere you like, but use them to enhance the game, not to slavishly copy the source.

7. - Top - End - #7

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by kidjake View Post
    In my first D&D campaign I remember including a high level (male) Barbarian/Bard named Beth that stumbled from tavern to tavern getting into fights over his name and searching for his father so that he could kill the S.O.B.
    Nice Johnny Cash reference lol
    See my Extended Signature for my list of silly shenanigans.

Anyone is welcome to use or critique my 3.5 Fighter homebrew: The Vanguard.

I am a Dungeon Master for Hire that creates custom content for people and programs d20 content for the HeroLab character system. Please donate to my Patreon and visit the HeroLab forums.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have several Pokemon Tabletop characters who are expies of fictional characters. Although I don't think it's that obvious for most of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Currently playing as Atalanta/Artemis in Arcran's Pocket Monsters Online! (OOC|IC)