New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Dealing with unwanted PvP?

So, Star Wars game, party cohesion has broken down. The Jawa engineer in the party has put a bounty/hit out on my character (Ex-Republic soldier) and has hired another player (A Trandoshen Bounty Hunter) to collect said bounty, ending in my character more or less slipping into a coma for the time being. Unwanted, unwarranted PvP just pisses me off and I don't know a proper way to deal with it outside of exacting my revenge when I roll as DM.

So please GitP, advise me, how can I deal with unwanted PvP?
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Dealing with unwanted PvP?

Talk to the DM and the other players about it? Let the Wookie win?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Tell the DM to tell the players to knock it off. Retcon everything that happened didn't, it will not be discussed further, and it will never happen again. If the DM refuses, he's enabling and part of the problem. The solution then is to leave the group. Nothing else will work. "I'm just roleplaying" or "That's just what my character would do." is never an excuse to be a jerk.
    Quote Originally Posted by OvisCaedo View Post
    Rules existing are a dire threat to the divine power of the DM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Talk to the DM and the other players about it? Let the Wookie win?
    Well we're currently working through it maaaaaaaybe. The DM is trying to make this work out somehow because apparently he actually likes my character and the story he's got lined up.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

A) That jawa seems like a real jerk.

B) In the future, it seems like your best bet is to talk to the GM and try to get PvP restrictions/ban through.

C) As either player or GM, you can talk to your group about how you dislike PvP and how to deal with it (i.e. Ban PvP).

D) Also come up with a group definition of PvP, hopefully something which includes jerk moves like stealing, trolling, griefing, and charging PCs to join the party. A PvP ban will be ineffective unless those sorts of activities are also curbed.
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2014-07-11 at 08:25 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    exacting my revenge when I roll as DM
    Whatever you do, don't do this. It'll only lead to an ever-escalating spiral of revenge and resentment.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    A) That jawa seems like a real jerk.

B) In the future, it seems like your best bet is to talk to the GM and try to get PvP restrictions/ban through.

C) As either player or GM, you can talk to your group about how you dislike PvP and how to deal with it (i.e. Ban PvP).

D) Also come up with a group definition of PvP, hopefully something which includes jerk moves like stealing, trolling, griefing, and charging PCs to join the party. A PvP ban will be ineffective unless those sorts of activities are also curbed.
    A) The Jawa is played by a manipulative jerkass. Like "Hey you wanna join the party and get off world? 500 credits and that Star Destroyer data core you're carrying. Also you clean the ship."

B) This is roughly the...third game that PvP has happened against me (Palladium and NWoD before). At least this DM is invested in keeping my character alive.

C) Apparently the Jawa placed the hit due to my (OOC) wanting to plug his greedy SOB of a character in the face for jacking all my money in the first session and leaving me penniless (The bit in part A).

D) When I get around to running my Pathfinder game I'm going to mandate 1) no evil characters, 2) no PvP, 3) Work the characters at creation so they all get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Whatever you do, don't do this. It'll only lead to an ever-escalating spiral of revenge and resentment.
    Aye, I'm not gonna do this despite me REALLY wanting to.

Scratch that I'm putting in an immortal Kender in my next campaign.
    Last edited by Silus; 2014-07-11 at 09:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So, Star Wars game, party cohesion has broken down. The Jawa engineer in the party has put a bounty/hit out on my character and has hired another player to collect said bounty.
    I have no advice. I'd just like to say that the situation stinks and I'm sad that it was inflicted on you.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly? I'd ask the DM to kick the Jawa's player from the group. He sounds like a piece of **** who's just making the game less fun for everyone else.

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu_temp View Post
    Honestly? I'd ask the DM to kick the Jawa's player from the group. He sounds like a piece of **** who's just making the game less fun for everyone else.
    Honestly next time some PvP flies my way I'm just packing up and going home. I just don't want to deal with it any more.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Wait a minute - you're not the one with the "cursed by losing a sword, party member used an illusion to make the reason seem different" thing, are you?

If so, and it's the same people involved, then I think these people are just ass-hats. I would advise against playing with them. At all.

If you do continue playing with them, then start nipping this **** in the bud. The moment that guy pulled the "500 credits to join our crew" bull****, you stop and tell them OOC that it's not cool. If they try to claim they're "just playing their character", then say fine, you're going to "just play your character" and choose not to join their crew. They can enjoy having the party split and only being on screen half the time.
    Last edited by icefractal; 2014-07-11 at 11:43 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Honestly, you should talk to the DM about this. Let him know that you're not tolerating any more abuse from the jawa's player. Talk to the other players as well; see if they are okay with how things are going. Ask them flat-out, if needs be, if they just don't want you gaming with them. Explain that the way the party so frequently turns on your character at the behest of the jawa's player is ruining any desire you have to play. Ask them not to cooperate with it, if they value your presence.

If they do not value your presence, don't play. Find a new group of friends to play with. Ones who will actually act like friends.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Weren't you the guy who was warned by his DM the Jawa player has resentment against you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    But you, as DM, have to be prepared for the PCs to do something stupid and self-destructive, because they will. They can't help it. They're like adorable homicidal children with pennies near a light socket, except that the pennies are chainsaws and the light socket is your plot. Also, the chainsaws are on fire.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by LokiRagnarok View Post
    Weren't you the guy who was warned by his DM the Jawa player has resentment against you?
    Apparently he took exception with my guy poiting a blaster at his face when he trued to extort me for money a second time in two sessions. So he decided to go the jerk route and hire a (PC) bounty hunter to kill my character.

I plan on sticking around with the group through this Star Wars game because I may actually get to get theough a character arc. But I'm also starting college classes next Monday so I'll see if I can't work on getting a new D&D group together.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Apparently he took exception with my guy poiting a blaster at his face when he trued to extort me for money a second time in two sessions. So he decided to go the jerk route and hire a (PC) bounty hunter to kill my character.
    That sounds an awful lot like a logical buildup to me; one hair trigger fell victim to another. The Jawa's player is still an asshat, but in the future you might not want to point weapons at other PCs without being prepared for them to take it seriously.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

2) no PvP, 3) Work the characters at creation so they all get along.
    I strongly recommend this, and I always run with a similar rule whenever I'm the GM. Unwanted PvP conflict is an ooc problem and should be resolved as such, since the problem is related to some of the players not enjoing it.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    That sounds an awful lot like a logical buildup to me; one hair trigger fell victim to another. The Jawa's player is still an asshat, but in the future you might not want to point weapons at other PCs without being prepared for them to take it seriously.
    Well the guy's got a history of screwing me over. Honestly this is the one guy at the table that would get me to dive across the table to bust his teeth in. And honestly, when my turn in te DMing rotation comes up, unless things change massively, I'll tell him straight up that I don't want him in the group for my game.

Quote Originally Posted by Waar View Post
    I strongly recommend this, and I always run with a similar rule whenever I'm the GM. Unwanted PvP conflict is an ooc problem and should be resolved as such, since the problem is related to some of the players not enjoing it.
    Interestingly when I told them that those were the rules I was gonna institute for my game, the response was "Gnome and Halfling Paladins!"
    Last edited by Silus; 2014-07-12 at 04:09 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Interestingly when I told them that those were the rules I was gonna institute for my game, the response was "Gnome and Halfling Paladins!"
    Small people, big hearts.
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

19. - Top - End - #19

Small people, big hearts.
    Well I've instead opted to run te Curse of the Crimson Throne adventure path and allow everything. All races, classes, archetypes, feats, etc. from all the official Paizo material and 3rd Party, Pathfinder geared stuff, and even 15-point custom races in the players want.

'Cause I've hit that point where I'm just stopping caring about giving this group the homebrew stuff I've been working on. So I'm gonna let them run wild on a world I don't care about.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

Goblin

Scratch that I'm putting in an immortal Kender in my next campaign.
    Wow. That seems a little harsh.

21. - Top - End - #21

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    Wow. That seems a little harsh.
    Well it'd feed into their need for rampant destruction.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Well it'd feed into their need for rampant destruction.
    You do realize Kender can be pointed at things? Manipulated? and if immortal used to remove cities and nations from the game world?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Walk away from the table.

But first, let your character die. Minmax to hell and back, and then massacre their PCs because "it's what my "[your]" character would do"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Just don't let him extort the money from you. If he tries, ask him OOC what his deal is. If he says "it's what my character would do," reply by saying, "My character won't put up with it, and finds some other group to work with." Offer the other PCs a chance to walk away with you, and the GM a chance to move his plot to wherever you go in search of adventure without the jawa.

Don't escalate to violence yo'ure not willing to simply finish with PC-killing (and possibly game-ending) violence. Tell the GM you're going to go there BEFORE you do so in-game, and if he asks you not to, do the "walk away" thing.

If that removes you from the game, well, that removes you from the game. You obviously weren't really wanted in it if nobody backs you up.

25. - Top - End - #25

Planetar

To be fair to the GM (which would be me), I never intended it to escalate to PVP. The jawa's player had initially informed me that he was going to leave it as a fake job for NPC hunters. Which, while they would have been a challenge, they are more balanced for real hunts, not combat lizards like our player hunters. I was not informed until the session that he had made alternate arrangements. Next session I will forbid PVP except under extreme circumstances (such as blatant betrayal of the entire party).

Also, I have a new preventative measure. Bounty Hunter Sensitivity Training. As presented by Rodian lawyers.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    To be fair to the GM (which would be me), I never intended it to escalate to PVP. The jawa's player had initially informed me that he was going to leave it as a fake job for NPC hunters. Which, while they would have been a challenge, they are more balanced for real hunts, not combat lizards like our player hunters. I was not informed until the session that he had made alternate arrangements. Next session I will forbid PVP except under extreme circumstances (such as blatant betrayal of the entire party).

Also, I have a new preventative measure. Bounty Hunter Sensitivity Training. As presented by Rodian lawyers.
    *Snickers* Greedo & Greedo, attorneys at law.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

*Snickers* Greedo & Greedo, attorneys at law.
    Defense attorneys I assume, given their skill at creating reasonable doubt as to whether their clients did, in fact, shoot first.

28. - Top - End - #28

Defense attorneys I assume, given their skill at creating reasonable doubt as to whether their clients did, in fact, shoot first.
    *Laughs* Now I wanna draw a pair of Rodians in business suits with suitcases.

But it would seem that this is all taken care of, the DM's puttin' the hammer down on PvP so I suppose that sorts out that.

I'd like to thank everyone here for their input and advice
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yeah, since when do Jawas extort people? If he want your money, he should get it the old-fashioned way: By offering you a great deal on a droid that's exactly what you're looking for, honest.

30. - Top - End - #30

Oh yeah, since when do Jawas extort people? If he want your money, he should get it the old-fashioned way: By offering you a great deal on a droid that's exactly what you're looking for, honest.
    *Shrugs* No idea. This guy has a history of playing sneaky manipulative characters (If you're familiar with my Cursed Sword incident, he was the Mind Mage responsible).
    Spoiler
    Show