New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Belkar getting the last laugh.

I was thinking that belkar could get the last laugh on hinjo after the battle by telling him that he plans to spend the year in prison writing a book about his adventure with the order, including every detail of the snarl, the gates, etc.

Hinjo gasps and says "But you can't do that! It's forbidden to mention those things uder AC law!"

Belkar: "Screw you, LG boy. I'm NOT a citizen of your city and I'm NOT bound by it's laws. Once I'm done with your stinking sentence I'm leaving and can do what I damn well please, including writing a best seller about my adventures, complete with the truth about shojo, the snarl, the gates and how hypocritical you AC paladins are."

Hinjo: "er, um, suppose I rescinded the year, in light of your service on the battlefield?"

B: "Keep supposing, lawdog."

H: "and, ah, I suppose I could remove the MoJ as well,"

B:" I could always get a high wizard to do that for me."

H: "Suppose I could add in some treausre, enough to keep you in ale and whores for the rest of your life."

B: "Almost there, sonny, just one more thing."
    H: "What?"
    B: "Miko's sword. And I want her to see you give it to me. Man, what a trophy that'll make."
    H: "You are truly evil, vile dwarf, but to keep the secret of the gates safe I accede to your demands."
    B: "I may be evil, but at least I'm not a pompous, self righteous, sanctimonious hypocrite."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Belkar getting the last laugh.

Hell, Durkon can remove the Mark of Justice. It's just a matter of convincing him to do so (and beating the Caster Level Check).
    Gallery 1Gallery 2Gallery 3Make Avatars With MS Paint
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks to Simius for the Xill Bard, Abardam for the Gray Rendar, Sampi for the Memphit, Rex for the Aristocrat and Onasuma for the Bearded Devil!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Belkar is a halfing not a dwarf.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

DrowGuy

Wouldn't it be sort of unlawful for Hinjo to try to appease Belkar like that? Easier to just lock him up forever, anyway. (Though that wouldn't be terribly lawful, either, I suppose)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I would totally love it if that happened, but how could he get Miko as the sword giving area at the right time. Sadly I don't think Belkar has the stats for that or possibly the paper or ink.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor_Demonking View Post
    I would totally love it if that happened, but how could he get Miko as the sword giving area at the right time. Sadly I don't think Belkar has the stats for that or possibly the paper or ink.
    But Hinjo doesn't know that....
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

I really don't get that bit about:

"Screw you, LG boy. I'm NOT a citizen of your city and I'm NOT bound by it's [sic] laws."

He may not be a citizen, but what does that have to do with it? He has to obey the laws while inside the kingdom. He can be as chaotic as he likes, but he IS bound by the laws; he just doesn't feel that he has to obey them. If he writes the book, they can confiscate it.

If he swears that he will write it again when he leaves, they are within their rights to use some sort of magic to wipe his knowledge of the Snarl and Shojo's doings (but not anything else, as that would be an invasion of privacy under real-world laws, and one supposes that there should be an equivalent for the Oots world.
    Caractacus

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Balathustrius View Post
    Wouldn't it be sort of unlawful for Hinjo to try to appease Belkar like that? Easier to just lock him up forever, anyway. (Though that wouldn't be terribly lawful, either, I suppose)
    That's why Shojo was choatic. And mabye Hinjo now too......
    Not forgetting Yldenfrei and the wonderful avatar she made.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    That's why Shojo was choatic. And mabye Hinjo now too......
    Shojo wasnt a paladin, hinjo is.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

you go to Thailand and break the law, they aren't going to say "damn, if only he were a citizen, we could punish him.".

And this is coming from a pretty fanatic Belkar fan.

P.S. wouldn't taking that level of Barbarian have made him illiterate?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I can't see Belkar writing a book. But I love the idea of him somehow being in a position to demand (and get) Miko's sword.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Rahdjan View Post
    P.S. wouldn't taking that level of Barbarian have made him illiterate?
    you are only illetarate as a barbarian if you start as a barbarian and you don't multiclass and if you don't spend any skill points on buying your litaracy

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Hinjo is anything but a pompous, self righteous, sanctimonious hypocrite.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Alternate:

Hinjo: Or, we could get the Royal Wizards to do a series of Modify Memories.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    Alternate:

Hinjo: Or, we could get the Royal Wizards to do a series of Modify Memories.
    Then after its done.

Hinjo beige realy suits you.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor_Demonking View Post
    Then after its done.

Hinjo beige realy suits you.
    How so? Belkar just threatened to extort him, and given his Chaotic Evil attitude, what's Hinjo's guarantee that Belkar wouldn't do it anyways? Furthermore, it's not like he had Belkar lobotomized.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    How so? Belkar just threatened to extort him, and given his Chaotic Evil attitude, what's Hinjo's guarantee that Belkar wouldn't do it anyways? Furthermore, it's not like he had Belkar lobotomized.
    And furthermore, how would Belkar be aware of having his memories removed?
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
    And furthermore, how would Belkar be aware of having his memories removed?
    He wouldn't. The implication is that this caused Hinjo to Fall, and Belkar has no idea why.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

: So would you like _____ extra years for blackmail with that order?

: Wha- Aw damn it!

: We'll keep in touch.
    Last edited by Tilian; 2007-03-04 at 12:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Member of the Miko Miyazaki Fan Club as of #407

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tilian View Post

Even better.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nonsens View Post
    you are only illetarate as a barbarian if you start as a barbarian and you don't multiclass and if you don't spend any skill points on buying your litaracy
    Yeah thats the stupid thing about it, I can have an illetarate level 8 barbarian but if I just take one level in fighter then I automatically learn how to read...

Why do adventurers know how to read anyway? They are not noble and except wizard they dont need to know how to read! You can come from a little village where there is no book but since you are a bard you can read? How is that supposed to make sense?
    In memory of lord Shojo

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, putting aside things such as the use of memory charms to wipe out Belkar's memory...

There is one thing many poeple over look...
    Who the hell would believe such a story coming from Belkar?
    Anyone who takes even the slightest look into Belkar's background will find out that he is Choatic Evil (history of murder, imprisionment and so forth)...
    A story about the world being a massive padlock to lock up a sinister god-killing monster and that there is bascially a massive conspiracy to keep the world from knowing this, is all a little farfetched ESPECIALLY when coming from a random mostly unknown Choatic Evil halfling... not to mention that the snarl isn't mentioned in any of the relgions which is bound to raise even more questions on the value of it's truth

When asked about it, Hinjo, the lawful good ruler of Azure City, with a history of standing for justice, won't nessasarily deny such things, but will just remind poeple what kind of character Belkar is...
    Essencially, it becomes Belkar's word agaisnt Hinjo's, and all things considered, Belkar will just be written off as a lier and his book a work of fiction (Though if he had enough skills in writing, it could be QUITE a good book)

As for possible backup from Roy and the rest of the OoST... well, Roy knows now the full dangers that the gates might have, and that it would be a VERY BAD idea to let any evil villian know about it. And though he may think the paladin oath for the gate is stupid, he would probabaly agree that there should be a certain amount of secrecy about the gates... No oath's of 100% secrecy and non-interference, but more of a "need to Know" kind of basis...
    He could easily convince the rest of the OoST to back him up on this, and thus, Belkar is left on his own... his word, versus the words of a kind and lawful leader

Belkar: "Screw you, LG boy. I'm NOT a citizen of your city and I'm NOT bound by it's laws. Once I'm done with your stinking sentence I'm leaving and can do what I damn well please, including writing a best seller about my adventures, complete with the truth about shojo, the snarl, the gates and how hypocritical you AC paladins are."
    Hinjo: "Belkar... you are a random unknown halfling ranger/barbarian with a history of murder and imprisionment, with a reason to hate Azure City... I am a lawful good ruler of a city that has had atleast the past 50 years of prosperty, and personally have a history of loyally defending justice a serving under the 12 gods... When the poeple asked who is telling the turth, who do you think the poeple will believe?"

Belkar: "............. damn it!"
    Last edited by slayerx; 2007-03-04 at 02:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

But people would know xykon attacked AC, and belkar's story would have that as evidence, plus letting the world know about the jewlel in the throne would be something they wouldn't like.

So it looks likem they'd have to drop the year, pay belkar ahush money and give him miko's sword.

BTW, they have to take the MoJ off unless roy plans on spending the year within a mile of AC anyway. Once it's gone, it's the wrath of belkar time.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    Well, putting aside things such as the use of memory charms to wipe out Belkar's memory...

There is one thing many poeple over look...
    Who the hell would believe such a story coming from Belkar?
    Anyone who takes even the slightest look into Belkar's background will find out that he is Choatic Evil (history of murder, imprisionment and so forth)...
    A story about the world being a massive padlock to lock up a sinister god-killing monster and that there is bascially a massive conspiracy to keep the world from knowing this, is all a little farfetched ESPECIALLY when coming from a random mostly unknown Choatic Evil halfling... not to mention that the snarl isn't mentioned in any of the relgions which is bound to raise even more questions on the value of it's truth

When asked about it, Hinjo, the lawful good ruler of Azure City, with a history of standing for justice, won't nessasarily deny such things, but will just remind poeple what kind of character Belkar is...
    Essencially, it becomes Belkar's word agaisnt Hinjo's, and all things considered, Belkar will just be written off as a lier and his book a work of fiction (Though if he had enough skills in writing, it could be QUITE a good book)

As for possible backup from Roy and the rest of the OoST... well, Roy knows now the full dangers that the gates might have, and that it would be a VERY BAD idea to let any evil villian know about it. And though he may think the paladin oath for the gate is stupid, he would probabaly agree that there should be a certain amount of secrecy about the gates... No oath's of 100% secrecy and non-interference, but more of a "need to Know" kind of basis...
    He could easily convince the rest of the OoST to back him up on this, and thus, Belkar is left on his own... his word, versus the words of a kind and lawful leader

Hinjo: "Belkar... you are a random unknown halfling ranger/barbarian with a history of murder and imprisionment, with a reason to hate Azure City... I am a lawful good ruler of a city that has had atleast the past 50 years of prosperty, and personally have a history of loyally defending justice a serving under the 12 gods... When the poeple asked who is telling the turth, who do you think the poeple will believe?"

Belkar: "............. damn it!"
    No, it's Belkar: "Well, I just had a high level mage cast a truth spell on me, lawboy, and according to it I'm telling the truth. WOuld you care to deny my statements with a truth spell cast on you?"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Tanhauser View Post
    BTW, they have to take the MoJ off unless roy plans on spending the year within a mile of AC anyway. Once it's gone, it's the wrath of belkar time.
    Not if they throw him in the AM cell. Then the MoJ is nullified, but precautions will be taken because they know he's a dangerous psychopath.

As for the second:

No, it's Belkar: "Well, I just had a high level mage cast a truth spell on me, lawboy, and according to it I'm telling the truth. WOuld you care to deny my statements with a truth spell cast on you?"
    Hinjo: Well then, because you are threatening to reveal state secrets, I hereby place you under arrest as a spy. GUARDS!
    Last edited by MReav; 2007-03-04 at 06:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Other possibilities:

Hinjo: You know, with half of the prison tower converted into temporary shelter for the people displaced by Xykon's siege weapons, we're going to need to double up the occupants of the cells for the next few weeks/months. By the way, did I mention that Miko doesn't have a cellmate yet?

or, much simpler:

Hinjo: SMITE EVIL!

Not to mention the fact that every single paladin in the Sapphire Guard took that oath to keep the existence of the gates a secret. Hinjo could just round up enough of them, ask Belkar to repeat what he just told Hinjo, and see what happens...

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Also:

Hinjo: Well then, I guess you haven't learned your lesson. We're adding extortion and threatening to reveal state secrets to your list of crimes. If found guilty, you'll rot in a dungeon for the rest of your life, and I might add, we won't even bother putting you in the AM dungeons because of that Mark.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Firbolg in the Playground

I was thinking that belkar could get the last laugh on hinjo after the battle by telling him that he plans to spend the year in prison writing a book about his adventure with the order, including every detail of the snarl, the gates, etc.

Hinjo gasps and says "But you can't do that! It's forbidden to mention those things uder AC law!"

Hinjo: "er, um, suppose I rescinded the year, in light of your service on the battlefield?"

B: "Keep supposing, lawdog."

H: "and, ah, I suppose I could remove the MoJ as well,"

B:" I could always get a high wizard to do that for me."

H: "Suppose I could add in some treausre, enough to keep you in ale and whores for the rest of your life."

B: "Almost there, sonny, just one more thing."
    H: "What?"
    B: "Miko's sword. And I want her to see you give it to me. Man, what a trophy that'll make."
    H: "You are truly evil, vile dwarf, but to keep the secret of the gates safe I accede to your demands."
    B: "I may be evil, but at least I'm not a pompous, self righteous, sanctimonious hypocrite."
    Better response: A couple lines into that, Hinjo has the bastard's head chopped off.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Like i said, Hinjo doesn't need to lie, just work his way around the question
    Needing to keep such things as the gate secret, Hinjo should know of such things to avoid blabbing

Hinjo: "well, truth is only what one believes is the truth... if you truly believe a lie then you can never lie, even under a truth spell... Given his history as one who takes joy in murder is it so surprising that he would suffer from paranoid delusions such tall sounding tales? This is why some cities, such as cliffport do not except such magic as evidence since it can be easily manipulated. I am also insulted that you would have such little faith in the ruler of a city that has seen peace for so many years under the 12 gods."

Press guy 1 talking to press guy 2: "Should we do it, i mean, if the story is true this will be huge"
    Press guy 2: "And yet, if we're wrong we will be the laughing stocks of the news world and probably loose are jobs for believing such a tall tale from a psycotic murder and accusing a lawful good ruler AND THE GODS of conspircay"
    Press guy 1: "ouch, not to mention the churches would be all over us... church people can be very scary if you make them crazy, like saying their gods have been lying to them"
    Press guy 2: "ya not sure... i mean this is a lawful good ruler of a peaceful city with no signs of anything bad in his past, that just makes things even slimmer... it's not like he's those stuck up nobles we write about every other day who are caught doing this of that"

Ofcourse this is assuming poeple believe Belkar in the first place, which considering the story he is telling and his own character, is not likely to happen... they'll just say he's a liar and just say his claims of being under a spell of truth

oh, wait... just came up with a alternate begining
    Hinjo: "well first... Belkar did you write that book with the soul reason to spite Azure City and myself for imprisioning you for a crime you plead guilty too?"
    Belkar still under truth spell: "Yes... but i-"
    Hinjo: "with such an obvious agenda agianst azure city, i see no reason why you should believe a single word of what comes out of the mouth of this pyscotic halfling; espeically when you consider that magic is not 100% full proof and that their are ways to manipulate it."

But people would know xykon attacked AC, and belkar's story would have that as evidence
    Lots of fictional stories contain real world events... just because they center themselves around real world events doesn't make them true

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tilian View Post

Exactly what I was going to say
    Not forgetting that trying to say anything about the gnarl is against their sacred laws, no matter if Belkar is a citizen or not.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."