New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default The Best Villans

What makes the best Villains? Is it a sadistic monster that just won't die, or the deceitful mastermind?

Opinions?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: The Best Villans

I don't know if there is a "best" villain. Certainly there are plenty.

I'm going to go with Deceitful Mastermind, coupled with a big, obvious target villain.
    Amazing Zealot avatar by Elder Tsofu.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd go with a mastermind type, someone who uses their power to influence and gain influence and operates through agents.

Not the 'i'm a big skull wearing guy in a big black castle, nobody could possibly suspect me' types.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

I like the highly competent, likable villain for whom the heroes develop a measure of respect and possibly friendship.
    Proud Supporter of Cleric Rights

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/articles/rTKEivnsYuZrh94H1Sn.html

Why not look at Rich Burlew's ideas on how to make a villian?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

'Sadistic monster that just won't die' can be a great antagonist. Especially if you don't tell the PCs about the 'just won't die' part, but let them find out through practice.

The trouble with the 'evil mastermind' type is that they never show themselves to the party. Which kind of takes the fun out of the whole villain thing - you've created a really cool bad guy, but your PCs are never going to get to see him.

- Saph

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

One of the best villians I faced was the Evil mastermind guy who was smart enough to escape every freakin time, but arrogant and would taunt us at every turn. He was smart and evil and would just let us not catch him.

We actually had to adventure with him for a short time even.

8. - Top - End - #8

EvilClericGuy

One that doesn't die within five minutes of meeting the PC's.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

The best villian has to feel justified by what he's doing, ragardless of what he has to do to achieve it. A really good example is what Harry Osborne will do in the Spider Man movies eventually... has to be the villian to avenge his father death, and if he must become the Goblin to do it, so be it - it's Spider Man's fault that he was forced to do so.

10. - Top - End - #10

The one that walks into the tavern, hands one of the PC's a kitten with the words "Keep him out of harm's way," walks out, and proceeds to obliterate half the town for kicks.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

The Giant. Evil giants ( the intelligent ones) are a huge bane to PCs because they are tough enough to handle their own in toe-to-toe and big enough to be hugely intimidating. Not very stealthy, but when the PCs find themselves in a huge antechamber and they hear the heaviest of heavy footfalls...well, that makes for a brown-trousers moment.
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I like the idea of a villain that the PCs routinely work for, whose later plans turn out to be diabolically evil. It's great if you can do it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hows about the Mastermind who actually is the sadistic monster, but doesn't show that parts of him/her/it until much later?

Eh? Eh? You see how my mind works? Genius, I say!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    I like the idea of a villain that the PCs routinely work for, whose later plans turn out to be diabolically evil. It's great if you can do it.
    Doing things like having the PCs wake up every now and then with a bag of coin and a note on their beds saying "Your actions are meeting our expectations perfectly. Congratulations. Sincerely, The Illithid Council".

It doesn't matter what they do; these notes just keep appearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

One that knows what he is doing is absolutely despicable but could care less and is extremely humorous. He is not insane; he is just unrepentant. I'm thinking along the lines of Final Fantasy VI's General Kefka.
    Ask a Ninja Ninja: "Soylent Green is Kermit"
    Risus for Solars:http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...0#post11188890

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MegasquidMan View Post
    Hows about the Mastermind who actually is the sadistic monster, but doesn't show that parts of him/her/it until much later?

Eh? Eh? You see how my mind works? Genius, I say!
    I've seen a few villains like that. It's actually fairly common in manga and anime. The first and foremost one that comes to mind is Grineed from Beet the Vandel Buster.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

I've always been a fan of the kind of villain who adopts a child or protege in order to warp the poor kid into serving his or her own ends. Examples include Miss Havisham from Great Expectations and Emperor Palpatine from the Star Wars films.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

The competitor. The guy with the other party who tries to get the MacGuffin before the PCs, and buys them drinks afterwards.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

19. - Top - End - #19

HalflingRangerGuy

Emeraude from Magic Knight Rayearth.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Hal Bolingbroke, from The Crucible. Because he combines manipulator, warrior and king into one villianous/anti-heroic package. Also, he stops time, turns into a Plantagenet lion and is crowned King of England.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Villains that keep surprising you, but not in a Dues Ex Machina way. Spells that change the tide of the whole battle by changing the way you must fight your foe, really being a simalcrum, being a pawn possesed by the main vilain the whole time, ect.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A childhood friend, or someone they knew for a long time, an ally, a supporter, someone they'd never suspect from their hometown. Even a parent, sibling, or child. Even better if they had some kind of falling out in the past, so that the players see the seeds that turned the BBEG evil in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    Casters effectively lost every weakness they had (from AD&D), and everyone else suffered for it. Since this was done as a direct result of player requests ("make magic better!"), I consider it one of the all-time best reasons NOT to listen to player requests.

Most people wouldn't know what makes a good game if it stripped naked, painted itself purple, and jumped up on a table singing "look what a good game I am!".

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Characters who are not really villains, but anti-heroes who bear as many uncanny ressemblances to the PCs as possible (barring evil twins).

"Do not become what you fight!"
    "There but the grace of god go I"
    etc etc

24. - Top - End - #24

The best villian is the one that players learn to rely upon throughout the campaign. The ally they love, who guides them along the path to glory. This villian uses the party to achieve one seemingly good goal after another, foiling the plans of a series of false masterminds only to, in the end, have supplied the real villian with the means by which he/she/it is all but immune to all the favored tactics of the party. When done well, the look of hurt and betrayal fueled rage is priceless.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

One great example of the unseen manipulative genius and how to play him is Kaiser Soze from The Usual Suspects.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0114814/

26. - Top - End - #26

You ever read the Coldfire trilogy?

You know Gerald Tarrant?

yeah. Him.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

For once I agree with BWL! I need a drink!!! Considering our divergent viewpoints on most posts, I'm happy to see that even we have common ground. I think there's hope for world peace!!!

I actually like the villain who doesn't feel like he's a villain. Whether because he's insane or just mistaken, he feels like what he's doing is right and therefore will take the time to invite the heroes to see things his way. Many of the posters have referred to this (Harry Osborne, Palpatine). Ultimately, a villain of this type makes the heroes second-guess themselves and think about what they are doing.

A good story chronicles the development of the proagonist and the antagonist is the principle catalyst for that change. The antagonist should inspire character development as the heroes either change their beliefs or have them reinforced by the test of faith. If the only change in the PCs after meeting the villain is more treasure, more XP, less HP and a really cool tavern story, you are missing a great literary opportunity.

28. - Top - End - #28

Yeah, as said before, definitely the guy who maneuvers the party into unleashing horrible evils on the world, all in the guise of goodness (carefully worded phrasing can always defeat a sense motive check, and after the first quest or two, the PC's will probably stop doubting completely if they ever did.) Nothing says shock and evil like ultimate betrayal.

The thing is, if the BBEG is evil in and of himself, seperate from the party, then he becomes cliché at the worst, and an object at the least. If the party is drawn into it, actually becomes a tool of the evil, then you have placed your hooks into your players' hearts.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The best villains are the ones the Players come to hate.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

goblin. kobolds have earned respect since 3rd edition for some reason, but nobody ever expets a high powered golbin adversary. especially if early on they become part of the group as a acky npc or assumed comic relief.

let him control his greatest enemies from within
    Join the bard defense league