New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Default How does the Playground feel about GM bribes?

Question is basically in the subject. Is it okay for players to bribe the GM (pay for his/her share of the pizza, buy him/her a six pack, etc) in exchange for small in-game rewards? Say maybe.....starting with Inspiration in D&D 5th edition, or maybe an extra Fate Point for Warhammer 40k RPGs, something like that. Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: How does the Playground feel about GM bribes?

As a DM i will say, let them try haha... but as a rule i don't let anything from real life spill into a campaign positive or negative.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

I try not to play favorites, so I'll grant extra bennies to the entire group if people bring goodies.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Spamalot in the Playground

Don't play favorites, it never ends well.

Though if you're low on cash for pizza and the group wants to pitch in for your share, a group-wise bonus isn't technically playing favorites...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Playing favorites for any reason is a disaster. Doing so for bribes is going to make everyone loathe the GM.

Beyond that, it's definitely not cricket. Damn bad form. I, at least, would turn my nose up at it even if there was no repercussion.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

The only time I could see that working is if you're playing Paranoia, where it's basically assumed that only the GM's favorite is going to make it out alive anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter_Wolf View Post
    At least we can say Kid Jake has style. And possibly is insane.
    My Campaign Journals

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

As I recall, Amber Diceless Roleplaying included official rules whereby, with the GM's approval, players could get additional points to build their characters if they performed various out-of-game tasks like keeping a campaign log or drawing character portraits. These weren't exactly bribes, but they did take some of the workload off the GM, and enriched the game, so the players got in-game rewards for it. In turn, this encouraged the players to get more involved in the game. It worked pretty well, in my experience.

I've heard of Amber games where buying pizza for the group (or just the GM) was considered a rewardable contribution to the game, though I haven't played in one.

8. - Top - End - #8

I personally wouldn't be opposed to handing out an extra PF Hero Point if someone brought sodas or sprung for pizza for the group. Maybe take it on a vote like "Ok, all in favor of giving Bob a Hero Point for bringing the sodas?" *Hands raise* "Okay Bob, you get a Hero point."
    Awesome avatar by linklele
    "The Barrier World" Google Doc
    A post-post apocalyptic steampunk magitech Pathfinder setting.
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome avatar by Akrim.elf and Ceika

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Yeah, nope. Bribes tend to be very bad for freindships. Especially in a context where it is likely to inspire jealousy (and/or fishing for more bribes)

The only case where I think it would be ok is if the "bribe" was something done that benefited the entire group, and the others agreed that some kind of reward was justified.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2014-09-08 at 09:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    I personally wouldn't be opposed to handing out an extra PF Hero Point if someone brought sodas or sprung for pizza for the group. Maybe take it on a vote like "Ok, all in favor of giving Bob a Hero Point for bringing the sodas?" *Hands raise* "Okay Bob, you get a Hero point."
    This is probably the best way to go about it. I think it's fine as long as it's all above board, and the in game benefits are minir and expendable.
    "A sword worth 100 ryo can be defeated by 100 spears each costing 1 ryo."

"Shrimp may attack dragons in shallow water." - Chinese proverb

Jale Morningson, Bard-at-Large (Rise of Darkness)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

As a rule, I try to keep out-of-game conduct and in-game benefits (and vice-versa) separate. It's too easy to create the impression of playing favorites, which others have mentioned, and once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. And it doesn't even matter if you're actually playing favorites or not; once people see that their in-game progress can be influenced by out-of-game conduct, there will be people willing to abuse that, and people resentful of those willing to abuse it, and people resentful of you for allowing it.

That said, a bribed GM is a happy GM, and a happy GM is a benevolent dictator. And when the dictator is benevolent, the kingdom is happier. Others have mentioned groupwide benefits, and that's fair. Similarly, a satisfied GM may be willing to be flexible - with anyone, not just with the guy who shelled out for pizza - on things like ambiguous rules, difficult scenarios, or complex character builds. He's in a good mood. He's merciful.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

If my players went to the effort of bribing me with food when none of them actually live in the same state as me, I'd have to give them some sort of reward. Said reward may or may not end up actually being a trap...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Discussions about D&D also inevitably come up when people ask me how I met my wife.
    Kids, let me tell you about how I met your mother...
    Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    I mean, you're a bard. If it doesn't end with everyone getting married boning indiscriminately, it's a tragedy.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

as a GM i firmly believe in rewarding bribes of food or beer. I spend a lot of time during the week planning this stuff and dont at all mind if someone wants to give me a little reward for it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Crown View Post
    As I recall, Amber Diceless Roleplaying included official rules whereby, with the GM's approval, players could get additional points to build their characters if they performed various out-of-game tasks like keeping a campaign log or drawing character portraits. ...pizza was considered a rewardable contribution to the game, though I haven't played in one.
    This has been a thing for a long time and by no mean limited to the Amber diceless system. Rewarding the mapmaker or the note-taker works well since it insentivizes behavior that rewards the game itself. If you do allow this kind of thing as DM though just be sure that such things are open to all the players. If someone is really hankering for extra xp but one person has been taking notes every session a word to the main note-taker may be in order. You can't play favorites with the extra credit opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel View Post
    That said, a bribed GM is a happy GM, and a happy GM is a benevolent dictator. ...- on things like ambiguous rules, difficult scenarios, or complex character builds. He's in a good mood. He's merciful.
    QFT from both sides of the screen
    Last edited by sktarq; 2014-09-09 at 12:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Players have bribed me into running certain games by buying me the books.
    Aside from "have fun", i think the key to GMing is putting your players into situations where they need to make a choice that has no perfect outcome available. They will hate you for it, but they will be back at the table session after session.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

In one game we had a 'Bribe the GM with food' table. The rewards were modest aounts of xp, the people who used it would have brought stuff for people anyway, and continued to do so after the rewards were discontinued. No biggie.
    The more interesting suggestion was "Bribe the GM with Sex", but it was quickly pointed out that unless the reward was given for services offered (rather than actually performed), it would be a bit unfair to everyone but the GM's girlfriend.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Bennies/inspiration/etc. work. Permanent rewards are a no-go. People who get pissy about not being 'favored' should stop being slackers when it comes to OOC obligations, such as supplying refreshments or map-making or any other 'must-be-done' job that can be answered with "Nah, someone else can do it" or "not me".

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Oh man... About 12 years ago I was involved in a VtM Larp where the Storyteller started to offer packages of "upgrades" in the form of arranged diablerie, unusual disciplines, extra XP packages etc all for cold hard cash. This quickly led to a whole bunch of trouble, and started to derail what had been, up until that point, a pretty good game. He later rescinded the offers (although rumours abound that they were still available off the record) and claimed it was all a joke that was misunderstood... but it wasn't.

Suffice to say, bribery is a crime for a lot of things in a lot of places in the real world, and its no less distasteful at the gaming table IMHO.
    My gaming blog: http://confessionsofagamesmaster.blogspot.co.uk/

Feel free to comment, I'd appreciate the feedback.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WrathMage View Post
    Oh man... About 12 years ago I was involved in a VtM Larp where the Storyteller started to offer packages of "upgrades" in the form of arranged diablerie, unusual disciplines, extra XP packages etc all for cold hard cash. This quickly led to a whole bunch of trouble, and started to derail what had been, up until that point, a pretty good game. He later rescinded the offers (although rumours abound that they were still available off the record) and claimed it was all a joke that was misunderstood... but it wasn't.
    This is pretty far outside of the purview of this discussion. Cold, hard cash is obviously out of line (though it's less a bribe and more a really weird purchase), but group policy wherein whoever buys/makes the food gets some sort of minor temporary bonus? I don't see the issue.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Doesn't work. Except this one time, but that was years ago. It was also a hilarious and completely cosmetic thing the player wanted. I can't even remember now. I think I got.... some sort of minor thing out of it. Political support I think in a vote for what movie we wanted to see versus another. Heh.
    Last edited by Gamgee; 2014-09-09 at 03:55 AM.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This is pretty far outside of the purview of this discussion. Cold, hard cash is obviously out of line (though it's less a bribe and more a really weird purchase), but group policy wherein whoever buys/makes the food gets some sort of minor temporary bonus? I don't see the issue.
    That's a fair point... You are right it's pretty far outside.

I guess more in keeping with the actual point I would say that a small reward for helping the GM or the group (buying drinks, buying food, doing game related chores like mapping, etc) and getting a reward for it is cool if everyone agrees. However I would say doing things to actively bribe the GM? To gain an advantage over your fellow players? That sounds less cool to me.
    My gaming blog: http://confessionsofagamesmaster.blogspot.co.uk/

Feel free to comment, I'd appreciate the feedback.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd love to be bribed. Why does no one ever bribe me? Clearly, I must be less nice to my players, so they'll have a reason.

"Oh, you want an alternate class feature? Well, bring me cake!"
    Resident Vancian Apologist

23. - Top - End - #23

First, seriously: This is a "if you're all okay with it" sort of thing. If the GM accepts bribes of food and the like and the players are okay with it, go for it. The whole thing is a game, and the GM does do most of the work to make it happen; "bribery" is often a veiled way to thank him for his effort. The rewards from the GM are not likely to be disruptive to the game if he knows what he's doing, and certainly not if everybody's okay with it.

If your table is into that kind of thing, you might even have an official bribery price list.

An example of GM bribery that was solicited by the GM: A number of sessions ago, somebody needed to be caught up after an extended absence; the GM said whoever helped them with that would get "something." A perk in the form of a neat but minor magic item materialized last session. If the GM hadn't called it out as the promised payment, nobody would have even connected it; a little WBL disparity isn't unheard-of, and it is neat but not game-shaking.

Second, a non-gaming story: I was a Graduate Teaching Assistant for an intermediate physics lab. The structure of this course is that the first half to 2/3 of it is spent doing cookbook labs and filling out the lab packets that come with them. These are not due at any particular regular time, so eventually the professor let me establish a hard deadline of "by spring break." Because I was going to have to grade all of them, and I didn't want to be doing it over finals week. My spring break still involved a lot of work.

Because we all - students and myself alike - knew that it was going to be a lot of work for me, jokes about the workload and what I'd do with the labs as I got tired of it were flying. I jokingly mentioned that I accepted bribes (and quickly pointed out that no, I wasn't serious).

Nevertheless, I got several lab reports with monopoly money taped to them. It was amusing. ^_^ I think I gave them monopoly points (not redeemable for real points) on their labs for it.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

GM's should not show favourites - it just leads to problems. if your gonna give someone a reward, give it to the whole group. don't be an ass

though this might be bitterness from not getting bribed talking
    "This aint no game, Time to make history, yeah"

got a second to spare? maybe check out a few sketches

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wasn't aware how widespread this issue was. Maybe we need to form some sort of society for GMs who are never bribed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rezkeshdadesh View Post
    Discussions about D&D also inevitably come up when people ask me how I met my wife.
    Kids, let me tell you about how I met your mother...
    Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    I mean, you're a bard. If it doesn't end with everyone getting married boning indiscriminately, it's a tragedy.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Raven View Post
    I wasn't aware how widespread this issue was. Maybe we need to form some sort of society for GMs who are never bribed.
    You have my vote

27. - Top - End - #27
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silus View Post
    Taking a majority vote like that usually works out decently well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    Players have bribed me into running certain games by buying me the books.
    It could also be seen as a contractual agreement. :3
    That's how I started into Shadowrun 4e. One of my players bought me the basic book under an agreement that I'll run campaigns with it. Worked out.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I am definitely against outright bribes, I will admit that I've nothing against people getting food and whatnot for the GM. A happy GM is a healthy party, I always say. I mean, I'm not gonna go easy on them just because I got fed, but I'll definitely be in a better mood, which tends to make me a better GM.

Having said that, I try my damnest to never allow my personal opinion of my players affect their PCs. I expect them to leave their IRL relationships (positive and negative) out of the game, it's only fair I do the same. If I do give rewards for out of game favors, they're given to the group.

Example: One of my players surprised me with my favorite food when we met up (we tend to eat supper together than play). I thanked him graciously, and when the game got underway, I informed the table that everyone would be starting with an extra bennie, because up until that point I had been having a really bad day, and the pick-me-up drastically improved my mood. They were aware of why they got the bonus, and instead of being jealous towards him for 'bribing' me, they were all happy they got a bit of an extra oomph.
    Spoiler: Systems to Play List
    Show

Burning Wheel
    Call of Cthulhu PC
    D&D 3.5 GM/PC
    D&D 4E GM/PC
    D&D 5E GM/PC
    Dark Heresy PC
    Dungeons the Dragoning: 40K 7E
    Exalted 3E
    Fantasy Craft
    FATE
    Godbound GM
    GURPS 4E
    Monsterhearts
    Monsters and other Childish Things
    Mythender
    New World of Darkness
    - Changeling: The Lost
    - Werewolf: The Forsaken PC
    - Mage: The Awakening PC
    Savage Worlds GM/PC
    Shadowrun 5E
    Star Wars: EOTE GM/PC

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by lvl 1 human View Post
    You have my vote
    I'd be up for it.

Can I also include that I'd probably be liable to start laughing maniacally if someone actually bribed me? It's just something I always wanted.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I wouldn't formalize the reward system because I wouldn't want it to be gamey. But I think showing your GM appreciation is perfectly reasonable. I've gotten my GM books or minis. It's not that I want a reward, it's that the reward was prepaid to me as hours of gaming.

I think a mature GM can be the recipient of favors without playing favorites. If he plays favorites, that sort of behavior will probably show up regardless of if you buy his share of pizza. Often the GM/player relationship isn't going to exist in a bubble and these people will interact outside of game. A good GM won't let that bleed over into in game rewards either.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.