New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Polymorphed dragon question

I was a lurker! Now I'm a poster! Here's my question- settle an arguement between me and another guy?

Can a dragon still use it's breath weapon if it's changed into a different form? (Like a human or a bear or something?)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Polymorphed dragon question

I beleive all of the abilities of the form you overtake overlap those of the original form, thus making it not quite as insanely broken as polymorphing already is.

3. - Top - End - #3

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Ranis View Post
    I beleive all of the abilities of the form you overtake overlap those of the original form, thus making it not quite as insanely broken as polymorphing already is.
    So is that a yes, but with a smaller range because it has a smaller mouth?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Do you mean a dragon using his alternate form ability? Creatures in alternate forms retain their natural form's special qualities that do not depend on gross physical features. So yes, a man shaped red dragon can still breath fire.

Addendum:
    By RAW, alternate form and polymorph are two different things.
    Last edited by cupkeyk; 2007-03-13 at 04:33 PM. Reason: addendum
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

5. - Top - End - #5

Look at Polymorph in the SRD. What does it say? "As Alter Self".
    Now look up Alter Self in the SRD. Search the page for "Supernatural", since that's what breath weapons are. What does it say?

Looking Stuff Up: it works! Try it, people!
    Last edited by Bears With Lasers; 2007-03-13 at 04:38 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

MonkGuy

Errr. No, I believe that when you change out of a form, you would lose the supernatural and extraordinary abilities of that form. Polymorph doesn't explicitly state that, however, so RAW you would keep your breath weapon, at full strength, regardless of your new form.

However, you do lose your subtype, and your breath weapon is channeling up your new throat. You'd take the same damage from your breath weapon that your targets do, and you can't exactly reflex save something that you're breathing out.

The sensible answer is no - you aren't that creature any more, so you lose those abilities. However, RAW, it doesn't say you lose'em, so you technically don't, I suppose.

::Edit:: huh. Well, now that I've looked at Alter Self, I can see there's precedent for keeping your abilities. Wacky.
    Last edited by Quietus; 2007-03-13 at 04:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

No. Its a yes with the exact same range and power as it had before.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You retain your own ability scores. Your class and level, hit points, alignment, base attack bonus, and base save bonuses all remain the same. You retain all supernatural and spell-like special attacks and qualities of your normal form, except for those requiring a body part that the new form does not have (such as a mouth for a breath weapon or eyes for a gaze attack).

You still have a mouth so you keep your breath weapon at full strength.

8. - Top - End - #8

Technically it could be argued based on information in the draconomicon that the dragons breath weapon is from a specialized organ...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most of the time, if you're playing a dragon (as the DM) then you will want to be in dragon form for the majority of combat. The benefits and drawbacks of combat with a dragon are detailed in Draconimicon, but if you don't have that book then here is a rundown of why a dragon is better in its normal form:
    -Natural Attacks Galore (over 100 damage a round average, anyone?)
    -Flying/Swimming/Burrowing (options are the most valuable currency in combat)
    -Natural Armor (honestly, this is the only reason dragons are as powerful as they are; no DEX bonus means they are big, squishy, scaly casters with more hp)
    If a cute girl with a red sash and overalls on slips you a note, ignore it, forget it, and sic the police on her.

You receive ten fail points. You may spend them as you see fit.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

yeah a dragon of any CR should wipe the floor with a single PC opponent of an equal level to CR in a melee fight.
    i have found that
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    if this thread is a 4e thread then play 3.5
    if this thread is a 3.5 thread then play 4e

devils advocacy by signature

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Note that if using the Alternate Form special ability rather than polymorph, "The creature retains the spell-like abilities and supernatural attacks of its old form (except for breath weapons and gaze attacks)." (emphasis mine)

So it all depends on what ability the dragon uses to change shape.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-03-14 at 01:19 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.