New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Polymorph any object query

I have just read the PAO spell description in the SRD and think that it could be used as a much cheaper true ressurection. After all a cadaver is the same kingdom, class and size as the person it was and is related. this is enough to make the spell permanent.
    Am I missing something?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Polymorph any object query

It never restores life. So you still have a dead thing on your hands.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

So what you're saying is, the Pebble-Human example given in the book can't work? It would turn a pebble into a corpse?
    "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"
    --Popcorn
    Quoteses, preciousssss...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Player: Heh, that was easy.
    DM: You take 12 lethal damage.
    Player: Huh? From what?
    DM: Raw spite.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    'FEAR MY CUBESHOES! RAAAAAR!'

Proud owner of one Gold Star, as awarded by Count Chumleigh.
    Member of the Metric System Fan Club.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, it would. Whatever you'd make would be devoid of life.

A neat trick, however, would be to pair polymorph other with a simple raise dead at lower levels to basically let you cast true ressurection (without the expanded time-since-decease, though) on a party member that was, say, turned into ashes.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Where do the rules say POA can't create or give life?

6. - Top - End - #6

To be more specific, it doesn't say it creates life, which in effect means it doesn't. After something living dies, it's spirit moves on in D&D. A spirit is incorpreal, hence you can't create one with polymorph. And since the spirit would have left before you'd attempt this, you'd just make a meat bag.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of adventurers, for you are expendable and full of EXP.

Overblown fantasy action/adventure/comedy/drama/spoof. Updates M/W/F

7. - Top - End - #7

In ever said it created a spirit. But what stops it from creating a representation of life that is completely lacking in spirit? Spirit is not a physically necessary part of the body.

While I would say that you can't resurrect a creature given life with PAO (it having no spirit) it should be able to create someone or something that is physically alive for all purposes.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But by the description it can give social stats. Surely that implies self-awareness and thus life?

GAH just realised the permanent duration would make it an ongoing magical effect anyway. One greater dispel and you have a corpse again.
    Last edited by Laesin; 2007-03-15 at 08:29 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

yeah. But one more PAO and you have your person alive again.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah... corpses don't have any need for Charisma or Wisdom. It seems like it creates the creature, at least temporarily.

Looking at the pebble->human example given, that's actually really interesting. You've just created a fully sapient human being, whose life will last maybe 20 minutes before he turns back into a rock.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I had an idea for a plot using that. You could have two dead corpses transmuted into a human, both say sorcerers. Whenever the other one 'dies', the remaining one casts Polymorph Any Object on him to turn him back into 'himself', fully healed. Neither of them would have souls, but polymorph any object works fine as a resurrection method.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But would the ressed character have the old character's memories?

13. - Top - End - #13

It gets real fun if your DM lets you use PAO for custom creature creation.

14. - Top - End - #14

Well as memory is a physical characteristic then yes, it would have the old memories.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Well as memory is a physical characteristic then yes, it would have the old memories.
    That's getting into some deep metaphysical...uhm...stuff.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NullAshton View Post
    I had an idea for a plot using that. You could have two dead corpses transmuted into a human, both say sorcerers. Whenever the other one 'dies', the remaining one casts Polymorph Any Object on him to turn him back into 'himself', fully healed. Neither of them would have souls, but polymorph any object works fine as a resurrection method.
    Wouldn't work. By RAW the spell caps out at creating things with 15HD, not enough for the sorcerers to cast the spell. Wizards could do it though.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedSorcererGirl

The special and expensive part of a Raise Dead spell is drawing the original soul back into the body from whatever plane it went to. You could certainly cast Polymorph Any Object to convert a character's corpse to a living human, but that human wouldn't contain the soul of the dead character. It would contain a temporary random soul drawn from wherever, and be a DM character until Polymorph Any Object wears off or gets dispelled. I hope you didn't try this method while adventuring in the Abyss, otherwise the alternate soul is likely to be very unfriendly!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

I personally think it's just a clone. Clones don't have the same experience and/or skills as an original, so you're just making a level 1 version of your buddy.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Didn't try it but was contemplating it as our only healer has gone AWOL repeatedly and we are now in the mid teen levels. But if it used the body to create a new being with all the memories and stats of the old one what difference would it make what soul was in it?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by UglyPanda View Post
    I personally think it's just a clone. Clones don't have the same experience and/or skills as an original, so you're just making a level 1 version of your buddy.
    Beg to differ. The spell allows creation of anything up to 15HD so it could create an exact (down to personality and abilities) duplicate of a 15th level adventurer. How is that different from ressurecting him in practice?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Why is it the the most broken spell in D&D is also the most confusing and vague spell in D&D?
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Cybren View Post
    That's getting into some deep metaphysical...uhm...stuff.
    ...metaphysical stuff like neurology? Memory is in people's heads. Take certain parts of what's in their heads out and they'll lose it. It's pretty well-known.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    ...metaphysical stuff like neurology? Memory is in people's heads. Take certain parts of what's in their heads out and they'll lose it. It's pretty well-known.
    In the real world I certainly agree that the ability to transform any random thing into an exact physical duplicate of another thing would allow you to duplicate a human, memories, personalities and all. Whether that's possible in D&D, where "souls" are part of the mechanics, is another question.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

I suppose a comparison with the Clone spell might give some insight-- cloned flesh minus a soul gives just inert, lifeless flesh.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheOOB View Post
    Why is it the the most broken spell in D&D is also the most confusing and vague spell in D&D?
    It's not a question. Its the reason.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    The parts that aren't well known are the parts that aren't parts of science. Nice attempt at sounding smart but you missed the whole point.

Are we our memories? Are we just the accumulation of our past experiences? Are we the continuity of our past experiences? If there is no difference between me, and an identical copy made of me given the same memories as me, is the copy not just as real? It thinks so. And you'd be hard pressed to tell us apart.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sardia View Post
    I suppose a comparison with the Clone spell might give some insight-- cloned flesh minus a soul gives just inert, lifeless flesh.
    Except one of the examples given in the spell description is pebble to human. Even though that example is only temporary it would be pretty useless to turn a pebble into a lump of inert flesh in the shape of a human, therefore the spell seems at least to give life temporarily as it certainly doesn't give its creation the construct subtype.
    Last edited by Laesin; 2007-03-15 at 10:55 PM. Reason: typo

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laesin View Post
    Except one of the examples given in the spell description is pebble to human. Even though that example is only temporary it would be pretty useless to turn a pebble into a lump of inert flesh in the shape of a human, therefore the spell seems at least to give life temporarily as it certainly doesn't give its creation the construct subtype.
    Perhaps just no exact duplication?

29. - Top - End - #29

The parts that aren't well known are the parts that aren't parts of science. Nice attempt at sounding smart but you missed the whole point.

Are we our memories? Are we just the accumulation of our past experiences? Are we the continuity of our past experiences? If there is no difference between me, and an identical copy made of me given the same memories as me, is the copy not just as real? It thinks so. And you'd be hard pressed to tell us apart.
    Your tone seems unwarranted. The issue is how our real-world expectation that a perfect physical duplicate of an individual would share that individual's traits that rely on physical features (which as far as I'm concerned is everything - and as far as any reasonable person, in my opinion, would agree, certainly includes memories) maps to a D&D world where there are these mysterious "souls" wandering around, doing... something for/to people. The question is whether a polymorphed duplicate of a dead person is a) that person, raised, with their soul restored from whatever outer plane it had gone to; or b), a duplicate of the person entirely independent of their soul, which raises the question of whether the duplicate has a soul, whether it has a duplicated soul, whether it differs in any way other than physical from its original, etc. These question may be irrelevant in the real world, but they have to be answered in D&D.

Looking at the spell descriptions, though, I don't see anything about polymorphing an object into a specific individual creature; nor is there any mention of classes or skills (ability scores, base saves, and so on only). Unless I'm missing something (and I might well be), I would find it amusing to allow PAO to produce a being that looks exactly like its model, has the same ability scores, but is (say, if the original was a level 15 human wizard) just a basic human advanced to 15HD with no class levels, and no memories or real relationship beyond appearance to the original.

This is at least partly motivated by how annoying I find the idea of "a clone is like a copy!", though, so it may not be an entirely fair ruling for a polymorph spell.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fortunately, in this context it just matters if the guy who cast PAO thinks whatever he winds up with is a suitable substitute for the dead guy. If it is, great. If it isn't really, he still can laugh over the same bar stories and do the stuff the old version did so it might not be worth worrying about.