New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Perform Question

If a bard has Perform(fiddle) and Perform(oratory)-- can he do both in the same night? like synergeticly? or does he add the two bonuses together? or just use the result of the higher? (for money/day purposes, not for any bardic abilities)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Perform Question

There is a feat, though I don't know its source, called Versatile Performer, which allows a Bard to sing (or recite or orate) and play at the same time. In the example you give, it's probable that you would need to make two checks, since it's hard to give a speech with a fiddle under your chin. What you do with those two checks would be up to the DM.
    Avvie by Mr_Saturn

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Versatile Performer (CA p112) does give a +2 bonus on combined performances. It also gives the bard three extra perform skills at their highest perform rank. A bard can use two types of perform at the same time without it.

Fiddle and Oratory? I would say it's too difficult to perform those at the same time. Fiddle or orate, but not both, I'm with Amp on this one.

A bard can use his perform as many times a night as he wants. Just remember crowds only have so much money, so you'll only be able to fleece them once a night in a small village.
    Last edited by CaptainSam; 2007-03-16 at 03:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

I thought Versatile Performer gave you access to a number of perform skills equal to your intelligence modifier that were all given ranks equal to your highest perform skill. Either way it is pretty much intended to get out of jams that involve losing your instrument (and spell casting if you know Summon Instrument), get out of being tied up (can't play a fiddle with your hands tied in the middle), get out of being gagged or cursed to be unable to speak as a way of nixing your performing (Crypto rock outs do not work, sorry Haley), and to give you a +2 to perform checks under 90% of circumstances. I believe you can sing and play the fiddle at once (Charlie Daniels is a L16 Bard, FYI) but I'm not 100% sure.
    Last edited by ocato; 2007-03-16 at 05:40 PM.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Meh, I still use the old 3.0 rules for perform, where the perform types are much more specific, but you gain a new one each rank. I don't think a bard should have to waste a feat to become a master of a multitude of styles of performing.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

What about bards using one perform skill to provide a circumstance bonus on another? Say, using Perform(lute) to assist Perform(vocal).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin
    Thus, knowing none of us are Sun Tzu or Napoleon or Julius Caesar...
    No, but Swordguy appears to have studied people who are. And took notes.
    "I'd complain about killing catgirls, but they're dead already. You killed them with your 685 quadrillion damage." - Mikeejimbo, in reference to this

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swordguy View Post
    What about bards using one perform skill to provide a circumstance bonus on another? Say, using Perform(lute) to assist Perform(vocal).
    Technically there are no rules for this so by RAW you can't do it, and since versitile performer exists solely for that reason it stands to reason you need the feat to gain any sort of bonus for multiple types of perform. Silly I know, but thems the rules.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ocato View Post
    I thought Versatile Performer gave you access to a number of perform skills equal to your intelligence modifier...

Sorry, my bad. Used my bard as the example, forgot that other characters have different stats

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

My bard has a modifier of 3 as well for intelligence, so I wasn't sure if I was right.

Again, concerning Versatile Performer, I personally like it. You gain multiple perform skills at the cost of putting ranks into one, you are nigh impossible to stop from performing if you pick a good list (strings, singing, dancing, wind instruments for example) and you get a +2 to 90% of circumstances when performing. Oh noes, my hands are tied, better sing and dance, +2. Uh oh, I'm gagged, better play my lute and dance, +2. Uh oh, I'm completely tied up, gagged, and have no access to an instrument. I uh... oh. Ouch. Can you take Perform (Seisure-esq rolling around) ?

Anyway, I honestly love it. I play a Human bard so I had the extra feat, because at high levels you're either reading more books than me, or you're running out of feat ideas.
    Being a jerk to people on the internet does not make you cool.