New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Electro-Static Robe

I designed this for a player in one of my games, thought I'd share it with the playground and get your feedback:

Electro-Static Robe: This article of clothing (occupying the robe slotusually a robe, but it can be any kindstyle of clothing) builds up a static charge as it's wearer deals and takes electricity damage. If the wearer produces an effect that deals electricity damage, for every 3 points of damage she deals the robe is charged with 1 point of damage. If a single effect affects multiple targets, use only the highest damage to calculate how many points the robe charges. For example, if Marybelle uses a lightning blast and hits 3 foes, dealing 52 points of damage, but two of her foes have electricity resistance 20 and the last one only has electricity resistance 10, use the 42 points of damage dealt to the third foe to calculate the charge from that spell (in this case, 16 points).

Likewise, whenever the wearer is damaged by an electric effect, the robe charges for half the damage dealt to the wearer. Take into account resistance to electricty before calculating the amount of charge the robe gains. If the wearer is immune to electricity, the robe cannot be charged in this way.

Once the robe is charged, the next successful melee attack against the wearer will discharge the stored charge at the attacker dealing electricity damage equal to the amount of points charged. If the attacker is resistant to electricity, the damage resisted returns to the robe, retaining that charge. Creatures immune to electricity do not discharge the robe, and it retains all of it's charged points.

One minute after the robe has gained it's first charge, it begins to harmlessly discharge it's built up static charge into the air surrounding the wearer at a rate of one point per round. This continues until the robe is completely discharged, regardless of if more charge is stored into it while it still holds a charge.

Moderate evocation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, lightning bolt; Price 40,000 gp;Weight 1 lb.

It becomes a little bit silly if you can find some at will electricity damage and healing, which you could potentially use to charge the robe up a large amount. To that end I was thinking of the robe discharging at a percentage rate, rather than a set rate, or setting a maximum charge the robe could have at any one time, but the player it was for doesn't think like that, so I didn't find a need.
    Last edited by Crake; 2014-12-01 at 11:31 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Electro-Static Robe

Item slots are important.

Unslotted items are worth a lot more than slotted for an equivalent effect.

Basically, as it stands this would need to be priced as an unslotted item since it sometimes can be... electrostatic leg-warmers that don't take up the feet slot for instance...
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    Item slots are important.

Unslotted items are worth a lot more than slotted for an equivalent effect.

Basically, as it stands this would need to be priced as an unslotted item since it sometimes can be... electrostatic leg-warmers that don't take up the feet slot for instance...
    Hmm, it occupies a robe slot, when it said any kind of clothing, i intended that to mean any kind of style of clothing, not any kind of apparel on any part of the body.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Hmm, it occupies a robe slot, when it said any kind of clothing, i intended that to mean any kind of style of clothing, not any kind of apparel on any part of the body.
    Might want to clarify that in the original post, perhaps with some other examples of "formats" it can take.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

There is no "robe" slot, it is a body slot. It matters if you can wear armor with it.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread