New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Spells that gives immortality?

I was wondering if there was a spell or some way for a character to gain immortality? I'm not talking about indestructible (heck even gods can be killed), I mean where you don't die from age or take age penalties.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Spells that gives immortality?

There's an Epic Spell or two. So, effectively: no.

There are workarounds, like True Mind Switching yourself with something that doesn't age.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Would using polymorph any object to become an Elan do the trick? Although, of course it could be dispelled, which would be rather nasty.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Debatable. Reincarnate brings you back to Young adult status but you lose a level and you have to kill yourself before you die of old age.

As a side note nothing in the level loss rules dictates the loss of stat points so it can be worth repeatedly dieing and being ressed at 15-16th level or indeed any level where you gain a stat point.
    Last edited by Laesin; 2007-03-18 at 12:37 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Becoming a lich would prevent you from aging, as would becoming a number of other undead creatures.

Plane shift can take you to the Astral Plane, where the timeless trait prevents the effects of aging (though such effects will apply retroactively if you leave the plane).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

As stated in its description, Wish can make you immortal. A good DM could make it so that you would regret that wish, however. Putting yourself in any sort of suspended animation will make you live forever as well.
    Visit the Chocolate Hammer IRC channel!
    (IRC Joining Guide Here!)

7. - Top - End - #7

First, you manifest the Quintessence power to get some Quintessence. Get a whole lot of it (this is tricky, as you quickly need to start succeeding at Will saves or lose Power Points, and it'll take you some time to get enough of that stuff). Then, coat yourself in the gooey distilled essence of time. You will now cease all aging. As well as thinking, moving, living in any real sense of the word, and really doing anything at all except sitting around in stasis, but that is the price of eternal life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

8. - Top - End - #8

The level 6 spell Smokey Confinement its in Complete Mage. It keeps you in stasis until the bottle is busted or the stopper is released.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm, my default response to requests of immortality (especially with wishes) is the temporal stasis spell, not only do you technically live forever, it's definatly within wishs predefined power safe zone.
    "Sometimes, we’re heroes. Sometimes, we shoot other people right in the face for money."

-Shadowrun 4e, Runner's Companion

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    As stated in its description, Wish can make you immortal. A good DM could make it so that you would regret that wish, however. Putting yourself in any sort of suspended animation will make you live forever as well.
    Meh a dm that works to actively corrupt a wish is not a good dm. It should simply fail as a spell not be corrupted unless I'm getting a wish cast by a evil being. I'm also not looking for a suspended animation type spells. I'm looking for explanation how Halaster(sp?) a human wizard from NWN hordes of the underdark could live for thousands of years.

11. - Top - End - #11

Isn't Halaster epic? He could have Epic Spellcasting. He could also have taken the Extended Lifespan feat a bunch. Or he could be drinking Plot Tea; that can make you immortal, too.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    There's an Epic Spell or two. So, effectively: no.

There are workarounds, like True Mind Switching yourself with something that doesn't age.
    A Greater Stone Golem is an interesting choice. You have to find a way to get a Polymorph Any Object on it first (so it's subject to mind-affecting effects), though...

But once you've managed that, you're mostly golden.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

13. - Top - End - #13

There's an Eberron spell that makes constructs more humanoid-ish; it removes their mind immunity while it lasts. Hit it with that, then mind switch.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well it's not actually a spell, but if you have 10 levels of Green Star Adept from Complete Arcane, you can live indefinately. It states that you maintain your form for eons. So I think that would qualify for immortatily.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

If you ever DID achieve immortality in D&D then there wouldn't be anything stopping you levelling up to near infinity and becoming all-powerful, which is why I doubt the people who created the game would have included anything like this.

Sure, you can think of weird work-rounds like switching yourself into the body of a stone golem, although I have a suspicion that wouldn't work as well as you'd like--for example, would you still be able to cast your spells? I doubt a stone golem's fingers are nimble enough to make all the weird arcane gestures required.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Book of Vile Darkness has a level 8 spell, Steal Life, that lets you drain people's ability scores to make yourself younger. Basically, you kill a bunch of commoners on a full moon night and get several years younger. You have to keep doing it periodically, but I suppose you could technically live forever.

Bears makes good points about Halaster being epic, and also plot tea. Either of those are the most likely explanations for the character in question.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    If you ever DID achieve immortality in D&D then there wouldn't be anything stopping you levelling up to near infinity and becoming all-powerful, which is why I doubt the people who created the game would have included anything like this.
    The lack of suitable challenges might-- after all, finding a suitable 100+ CR opponent has got to be a chore. If nothing else, it'd slow progress.

Also, sooner or later, you're going to fail a save, peeve a deity who has the "Life and Death" salient ability, etc, etc. Or you stay out of the way, in which case you're back to having no good sources of XP.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

In I think Magic of Rokugan or Way of the Shugenja, there's a maho (evil blood magic) spell wherein you sacrifice the life of some sentient creature in return for not aging for one or five years (I forget which). But yeah, I can't think of any spells that just cease aging/make you immortal permanently.

19. - Top - End - #19

If we're talking about Forgotten Realms, the likely explanation is "because". That setting doesn't seem to take much account of the mechanics.

Given that Elminster and Khelben are effectively immortal for little reason except that Mystra likes them, you shouldn't feel bad about ascribing Halaster's long life to a similar arrangement with some other god or outsider, or an epic spell, or just being too mad for Kelemvor to touch.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Surprised that BoVD was mentioned without Cancer Mage. Either you can live forever, period, or you can live forever while in "disease form".

As far as "level-up stat boost Reincarnation" cheese, doesn't work for the same reason that you cannot gain feats at say level 24(when you would gain a stat as well). It's part of the level you lost. Reincarnation is still a grand way of accumulating aging bonuses though. Order your Bogun or Animal Companion to activate your "tile of Reincarnation"(breaking it over your dead skull, for example) when you die, hope like hell to get an accelerated aging race like Half-Orc, and repeat.
    President of the Society for Hobgoblin Equality in Level Adjustment(SHELA)

Glowing Kitty from Lilly
    Wren Worgatar by Mephibosheth
    The Living Bullet!
    Unusual Inner Animal Avatar from Quincunx.
    Whenever you mention Pun-pun*SQUELCH!*, Ao kills another Kobold.
    Everytime someone says "Pazuzu" twice, Ao erases them on the next "Pa". Then he undeletes them so he can wipeinfo them from the multiverse.
    Everytime you kill a catgirl, I get more company.

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

Generally anything as powerful as immortality is plot- and DM-specific. You don't get that kind of thing by paging through splatbooks, you get it by searching through the history of the world you're playing in and finding out what is and isn't possible.

Expect some kind of hefty price for it, too. For instance, Halaster is immortal, but he's also insane 90% of the time (at least that's how he was described in the FRCS).

- Saph

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Polymorph->Adamantine rock, basic premise, can be worked for immortality, does contain some minor side effects.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

By that logic the gods should have infinite level as well instead they have a fix level. Also Elan druids would be hands down the best race and combo because druids after level 15 don't suffer age penalties and Elans are immortal. Also Elfs would be next best race as they have the longest lifespan compare to the other races. Honestly when is the last time your character's age matter?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Suzaku View Post
    By that logic the gods should have infinite level as well instead they have a fix level. Also Elan druids would be hands down the best race and combo because druids after level 15 don't suffer age penalties and Elans are immortal. Also Elfs would be next best race as they have the longest lifespan compare to the other races. Honestly when is the last time your character's age matter?
    Actually, I've been working on a homebrew spell that increases the target by 1d4-1 age categories. In RAW, age isn't too common, but it's worth thinking about.
    "We have become like unto tiny refreshing GODS!"
    --Popcorn
    Quoteses, preciousssss...
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Viscount Einstrauss View Post
    Player: Heh, that was easy.
    DM: You take 12 lethal damage.
    Player: Huh? From what?
    DM: Raw spite.
    Quote Originally Posted by NecroPaladin View Post
    'FEAR MY CUBESHOES! RAAAAAR!'

Proud owner of one Gold Star, as awarded by Count Chumleigh.
    Member of the Metric System Fan Club.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, you can think of weird work-rounds like switching yourself into the body of a stone golem, although I have a suspicion that wouldn't work as well as you'd like--for example, would you still be able to cast your spells? I doubt a stone golem's fingers are nimble enough to make all the weird arcane gestures required.
    True Mind Switch is a psionic power; no need for funky gestures. Take Leadership to get a cohort with the appropriet spells to un-immune the golem (Stone to Flesh, Polymorph Any Object, then True Mind Switch with the golem and permit the PaO to expire).
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

26. - Top - End - #26

You can get timeless body by level 7. Monk 4 then tattoo monk 3. One of the tattoos stops aging.

I use this trick in gestalt games where I play an Elan who lives forever.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

If you've got a god on your side willing to invest a small portion of their power, even Divine Rank 0 grants you immortality.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    You can get timeless body by level 7. Monk 4 then tattoo monk 3. One of the tattoos stops aging.

I use this trick in gestalt games where I play an Elan who lives forever.
    Level 10. Tattooed monk requires 8 ranks of knowledge (religion), so monk 5. That particular tattoo needs two others to give you timeless body, so tattooed monk 5.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bears With Lasers View Post
    Isn't Halaster epic? He could have Epic Spellcasting. He could also have taken the Extended Lifespan feat a bunch. Or he could be drinking Plot Tea; that can make you immortal, too.
    Undermountain keeps him from aging. It's not so much Plot Tea as Plot Dungeon. But yeah, the ways mentioned here work as well I suppose.
    Last edited by Nahal; 2007-03-18 at 06:49 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Halfling in the Playground

I actually had a thread recently looking for this very thing. In champions of Ruin, from forgotten realms, there is the Grey Portrait, which is basically the portrait of dorian grey but can be reclaimed by a different person. Also, I think one of the eberron books (magic of eberron, maybe?) had the theif of life prestige class.