New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Appraise an item

My DM loves to give us custom magic items and doesn't give a damn about WBL, so I've got a question: how much would amulet that gives a wizard additional spell slot for 2nd level that must be filled with abjuration spell cost?
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-04-01 at 03:33 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Appraise an item

The base effect, an additional level 2 spell slot, is very similar to a 2nd level Pearl of Power, which costs 4000 gp. However, the Pearl of Power does not take up an item slot while the amulet does. By the pricing guidelines, unslotted items cost double what slotted items do, so that cuts the cost for your amulet down to 2000 gp. I'd estimate the restriction to abjuration spells only as being about on par with the specific class or alignment restriction for another 30% off, making the final price 1400 gp.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2007-04-01 at 03:55 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Pearls of Power can only restore spent spells, while this item would permit an additional and possibly different spell to be prepared. That's more flexible, and I would rule that flexibility should be reflected in a slight increase in cost - say, 1,600 gp for total.
    Alignments are objective. Right and wrong are not.
    Good: Will act to prevent harm to others even at personal cost.
    Evil: Will seek personal benefit even if it causes harm to others.
    Law: General, universal, and consistent trump specific, local, and inconsistent.
    Chaos: Specific, local, and inconsistent trump general, universal, and consistent.

4. - Top - End - #4

There is also a loss in flexibility, however, as the Pearl of Power can restore any spent spell you choose at the time you use it, while the extra spell you prepare with this amulet has to be chosen when you prepare spells at the start of the day. I think it's about even.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

It was supposed to give 2nd level slot of any school, but I persuaded my GM that it'd break WBL guidelines all over the place. 1,400-1,600 gp is still quite big amount of money for 3rd level character, but not as bad as it would cost without limitation.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-04-01 at 04:22 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

6. - Top - End - #6

As long as you don't have much else, it's actually not that much. A 3rd level character should have 2700 gp by WBL guidelines, leaving you 1100-1300 for other stuff depending on which of our recommendations you go by.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Well, when I asked how much would this amulet cost earlier, I was told it'd cost few thousands gp. It was before GM restricted it for Abjuration, though.
    Last edited by Morty; 2007-04-01 at 05:02 PM.