New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

wink Unwritten Laws of D&D Gaming

In a fit of mental wandering, I was siezed with the idea that, over the course of many sessions of gaming (D&D specifically in this case), there appear to be certain unwritten laws by which the multiverse is ordered. In the interest of distraction and humor, I invite you to share what you've learned.
    I'll get the ball rolling with Muz's 12 Laws of D&D Gaming:

1) Unless you're actually IN a fishing village, any humanoid NPC found fishing is 99% likely to be something else in disguise, and 8 times out of 10 it will be a dragon.

2) Nothing is ever THAT easy. Even if you've only been tasked with delivering a freshly baked pie to a man across town, either the streets and alleys will be infested with bandits and/or mindflayers with a craving for blueberries, or the man's house will be quarantined due to recent kingly edict.

3) The clever little piece of non-magical equipment (e.g. caltrops) that you bought at the start of your adventure will, 9 times out of 10, lay forgotten at the bottom of your pack until the point in which it could have been utilized has passed.

4) Even if the pit fiend appears to be completely powerless, it's really never a good idea to burn his personal library out of spite. (aka "Myrddin's Law")

5) You will, at some point, have to pull that lever.

6) There is no such thing as an inconsequential twin sibling.

7) The statue is never just a statue. (aka "Denise's Law") Denise's Law addendum: If the statue IS just a statue, it is only to lull you into a false sense of security for the NEXT statue-like thing that will be attacking you.

8) No matter how well the DM plans out a major encounter, the PCs will invariably think of something you did not that will render 75% of the DM's planning moot. (aka "Law of DM's Lament" or "Law of Improvising," depending on the attitude of the DM at the time)

9) Helpful and friendly NPCs almost NEVER wander into your campsite in the middle of the night. If such a thing happens, don't take your eyes off them for a SECOND. (aka "Fiera's Law")

10) If the PCs ever come across another group's campsite in the middle of the night, there will be a disproportionately good chance that said group is extremely friendly and helpful, even if you should be trekking through the 9th layer of the Abyss.

11) There is nothing to be feared more than a smooth, empty dungeon hallway. ...With the possible exception of an enormous pile of gems that appears to be snoring.

12) SOMEone prepares explosive runes EVERY morning.
    Last edited by Muz; 2007-04-03 at 12:03 PM.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Unwritten Laws of D&D Gaming

An amusing list.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

13) The wizard has the exact spell for this situation - and he'll cast it tomorrow.
    "It's only hubris if you fail, right?"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

14) The older an NPC appears to be, the more powerful. Even if he is sitting on his front porch playing his banjo and smoking a pipe, he's secretly a retired paladin, high-level monk, or a dragon.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Muz View Post
    7) The statue is never just a statue. (aka "Denise's Law") Denise's Law addendum: If the statue IS just a statue, it is only to lull you into a false sense of security for the NEXT statue-like thing that will be attacking you.
    Our Warforged Barbarian has developed a phobia of statues for just this reason. Every time we encounter a statue in a dungeon, he attacks it before it can attack him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

I've broken at least half those laws in my campaigns. Toss in a random commoner who takes an active interest in the exploits of the PCs and the players get all paranoid!
    Settings: Weird West
    Work in Progress: Fulcrum

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by prufock View Post
    I've broken at least half those laws in my campaigns. Toss in a random commoner who takes an active interest in the exploits of the PCs and the players get all paranoid!
    Well sure, laws are meant to be broken, but that doesn't mean we can't be amused by them.
    Author of Zeus Is Dead: A Monstrously Inconvenient Adventure, a comedic fantasy novel set in a version of our world where reality TV show heroes slay actual monsters and the Greek gods have their own Twitter feeds!
    Now available in paperback, ebook, and audiobook!
    ~ ~ ~
    Twitter: @TheWriteMunzspace My Blog: GeekNotesspa!

8. - Top - End - #8

BlackDragon

14) The older an NPC appears to be, the more powerful. Even if he is sitting on his front porch playing his banjo and smoking a pipe, he's secretly a retired paladin, high-level monk, or a dragon.
    So what do retired dragons do? Hang around all day talking about the hoards their children have collected, and reminising on old battles? What does an old dragon's home look like?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

The Semi-Para-Quasi-Demi-Elemental Plane of Cheez Whiz

Yeah, here are a few from me

15) PCs are trend-setters. Places will change names spontaneously because the PCs started calling it something else. Thus the manor house nestled in a valley called "Hidden Light" will inevitably be called "Hidden Valley Ranch Light" in less than a day. (Also called the "Law of Ticking Off Daneel the DM")

16) Any nation, no matter how militarily powerful, will have large groups of orcs and/or hobgoblins roaming throughout it on semi-regular basis. This is the Law of Spontaneous Humanoids.

17) Dragons always start terrorizing the countryside about a week before the arrival of the PCs.

18) The most powerful weapon to be used against a beholder is a blanket. Give the blanket to whoever has the best grapple rolls, and cover the beholder with it! As a corrolary to this law, swords go through blankets quite nicely, thank you so much. (This is also called "Lyric's Law of Desperation")

19) Elves with spiky hair and nasty facial scars always require an immediate Detect Evil spell or effect. (The "Law of Mitigating Surprise Sneak Attacks")

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

20) Every city, town, or village has at least one building where alcoholic beverages are served, commonly called a "tavern". These "taverns" exude an extremely strong pull on any adventurers not currently affiliated with a group, and these adventurers randomly coalesce into groups in what appears to be a bizarre macromolecular chemical reaction, possibly triggered by said alcoholic beverages. This is known as the "ethanolic group synthesis law" or more colloquially, as the "Everybody meets in a tavern" rule.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

tongue Re: Unwritten Laws of D&D Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel the Sane View Post
    15) PCs are trend-setters. Places will change names spontaneously because the PCs started calling it something else. Thus the manor house nestled in a valley called "Hidden Light" will inevitably be called "Hidden Valley Ranch Light" in less than a day. (Also called the "Law of Ticking Off Daneel the DM")
    Now and then, I encourage it.
    DM (me): You come up to a village...
    Player 1: Ooh! What's it called?
    DM: What?
    Player 2: What's the village's name?
    DM: Hm? Oh, yeah. That. Uh... good question. What do you want to call it?
    I call this sort of conversation "Collaborative World Building."

Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-04-03 at 02:13 PM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

12. - Top - End - #12

21) If something in the PC's path is flammable, it will burn. If it is not flammable, they will find a way to make it burn.

Incredibly GAR avatar by Ninja_Chocobo.

13. - Top - End - #13

EvilClericGuy

20b) These taverns are the centers of economics, culture, politics, and religion in any given world. Thus, they are the only places you ever need to visit in any given settlement.
    Last edited by Woot Spitum; 2007-04-03 at 02:12 PM.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

14. - Top - End - #14

22) At some point, someone will give you an item, to be taken to another locale, where it will be either destroyed or exchanged for a different item. The first "item" may in fact simply be a quest, and this may repeat as many times as is necessary. (The Law of FetchQuests.)
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-04-03 at 02:13 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

15. - Top - End - #15

23) If you come to a town that you've never been to before, chances are that the town is or will soon be the site of serious problem or another, and that the local authorities will be entirely unable to manage whatever this happens to be.

Corrollary: if you've been to the town before, then the chances are somewhat lessened, unless one or more PCs has an emotional attachment to the town.
    Last edited by Dark_Wind; 2007-04-03 at 02:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

tongue Re: Unwritten Laws of D&D Gaming

Quote Originally Posted by Rolaran View Post
    20) Every city, town, or village has at least one building where alcoholic beverages are served, commonly called a "tavern". These "taverns" exude an extremely strong pull on any adventurers not currently affiliated with a group, and these adventurers randomly coalesce into groups in what appears to be a bizarre macromolecular chemical reaction, possibly triggered by said alcoholic beverages. This is known as the "ethanolic group synthesis law" or more colloquially, as the "Everybody meets in a tavern" rule.
    One of these days, I'm gonna make a character who is a teetotaler and see what my DM thinks of that.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Shhalahr Windrider View Post
    One of these days, I'm gonna make a character who is a teetotaler and see what my DM thinks of that.
    Whenever the PC party in my current game goes to the tavern (we're in a dwarven town, so the tavern really is the center of commerce and culture), the crazy half-elf chick always orders apple juice. My minotaur has recently picked up the habit as well. Then again, the Drunken Master elf makes up for us.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Closed Account

24) The Law of Racial Inequality in Crafts of Ferro Chrome : The blacksmith is either a dwarf or a human. Elves, gnomes, orcs, even races that have no other contact with humans or dwarves have one dwarf or human blacksmith.

19. - Top - End - #19

25) All corpses are just zombies/mummies/ghouls/etc. waiting for you to enter the room. They must be destroyed.
    Last edited by martyboy74; 2007-04-03 at 02:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

EvilClericGuy

26) Dwarven craftsmanship is superior. It doesn't matter what you're talking about, if it was made by the dwarves it's just plain better.
    Last edited by Woot Spitum; 2007-04-03 at 02:22 PM.
    "Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything."
    ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

27) Johann's Law: Every perfectly "innocent" barfight, whether instigated by a PC or an NPC, will invariably turn fatal.
    Last edited by Crazy_Uncle_Doug; 2007-04-03 at 02:23 PM.
    "Everything is better on fire."

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    26) Dwarven craftsmanship is superior. It doesn't matter what you're talking about, if it was made by the dwarves it's just plain better.
    26b) Unless it's something really fancy and aristocratic, or incredibly magical. Then, the elves win.
    Last edited by storybookknight; 2007-04-03 at 02:23 PM.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

23. - Top - End - #23

27) When in doubt as to whether an NPC has any plot importance, ask his name. If the DM stutters, or takes a moment to think, leave or kill him, depending on your alignment on the good/evil axis.
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM: "Alright, you've successfully hidden in a tree without the pack of Wyld-tainted tigers noticing you. What now?"
    Me: "Oh! I know! I'll use Sense Riding Technique to use one as a spy, so I can see if someone is controlling them at all."
    DM:"Alright. Did you have a specific tiger in mind?"
    Me: "I'll take the most normal looking one near me."
    DM: "Cool! You see nothing. This tiger has had its brain replaced with a brain-shaped cantaloupe."

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by storybookknight View Post
    26b) Unless it's something really fancy and aristocratic, or incredibly magical. Then, the elves win.
    26c) Or if it's something quirky and somewhat anachronistic. Then, gnomes are the clear masters.
    Spoiler
    Show

Zöe Althira in When On Olympus
    Ratri Aeval in Double Major
    Mercedes Swift, Scion of Hermes, in ???
    Haiiro Mariko in The Scarlet Shadow
    Kris "Krash" Ashton in Colony
    Karen Mallory in Changing Breeds

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Jannex View Post
    26c) Or if it's something quirky and somewhat anachronistic. Then, gnomes are the clear masters.
    26d) While not actually related to the mastery of a craft per se, if it was made by an orc or someone of orcish descent, it is not only of shoddy manufacture but also smells badly.

Currently DMing:
    In the Emperors' Hand

26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground

27) Attractive women that you find imprisoned will always betray you, most likely by being a succubus, and should be killed immediately.

28) Anything with a detailed description is central to the progression of plot.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by storybookknight View Post
    26d) While not actually related to the mastery of a craft per se, if it was made by an orc or someone of orcish descent, it is not only of shoddy manufacture but also smells badly.
    26e) Anything related to culinary is made by halflings in its finest. Dwarves, elves and gnomes can't match their talent at crafting objects to sate their appetite.

By the way, we have three 27's already.
    Last edited by Khantalas; 2007-04-03 at 02:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Woot Spitum View Post
    "Welcome to all things Scottish Dwarvish... if it's not Dwarvish IT'S CRAAAAPP!! Can I help ye?"

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel the Sane View Post
    Yeah, here are a few from me

Shouldn't that be "Hidden Light Valley Ranch"? Almost as irritating, and a little more clever.
    Last edited by Jayabalard; 2007-04-03 at 02:39 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

31) If you pee on it, something bad is going to happen. Always.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan_Scott82 View Post
    ...From an in character perspective, being one who knows they're about to face emminant demise, it makes every bit of sense to pursue the course of greatest power...To not try to make your character as effective as possible within the confines of the rules and the characters background, and surrounding environment is to be decidely out of character.

Credit to Ceika for the awesome avatar (which happens to be Norril, my Nomad).

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

32) No matter what direction the DM is taking the game, the PC's will ignore it until they are good and ready
    33) There is a 1 in 4 chance that one of your male players will want to play a female seductess. There is a 3 in 4 chance that he will hit on one of your other players and there is a 4 in 4 chance that the rest of the party will be very uncomfortable
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.